Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

And her scary bloodthirsty rival is actually just her friend who she’s made a bet with because they both think it would be fun.

That said, she’s totally going to turn out to be that idol she’s a fan of, isn’t she?

I saw someone else speculating as much, and there might be something there. LLENN asks her what kind of music she's into and Pito goes all "I can't even read sheet music", which is an odd thing to say when you're thinking about listening to music but a perfectly reasonable one when you're thinking about performing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The cut in GGO where she fights the roboscorpion was impressive, today.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I saw someone else speculating as much, and there might be something there. LLENN asks her what kind of music she's into and Pito goes all "I can't even read sheet music", which is an odd thing to say when you're thinking about listening to music but a perfectly reasonable one when you're thinking about performing.

And while she doesn’t necessarily need one, it also gives her an extra reason for wanting to avoid creepy fans. I’m also prepared to bet that when we see one of her concerts, her stage persona will be sugary as gently caress.

Anyway, MMO Junkie Except They’re Both Girls And The Director Hopefully Isn’t A Nazi should be fun.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The first episode of Hisone to Maso-tan seems pretty underwhelming.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

The first episode of Hisone to Maso-tan seems pretty underwhelming.

Lol, decidedly not the response I had to that show.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Spiritus Nox posted:

Lol, decidedly not the response I had to that show.

It felt very rushed.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I suppose I should stop being a lazy OP and update the OP and link all of the wonderful threads you goons posted!

quote:

Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory
Xebec | Nakayama, Katsuichi | Gatoh, Shoji | Action, Mecha, Military, Sci-Fi | Light Novel | Apr 13, 2018
A new Full Metal Panic! series.
PV
Thread

quote:

Persona 5 The Animation
A-1 Pictures | Ishihama, Masashi | Inotsume, Shinichi | Action, Fantasy, Supernatural | Game | Apr 8, 2018
Tv anime adaptation of the Persona 5 videogame.
PV
Thread

quote:

:siren:Megalo Box
TMS Entertainment | Moriyama, You | Kojima, Kensak ; Manabe, Katsuhiko | Action, Drama, Shounen, Slice of Life, Sports | Original | Apr 6, 2018
Ashita no Joe 50th anniversary project. JD (Junk Dog) participates in fixed boxing matches in an underground ring in order to live. Today, he enters the ring again, but he encounters a certain person. JD wants to take on a challenge that risks everything.
PV
Thread

quote:

Steins;Gate 0
White Fox | Kawamura, Kenichi | ... | Drama, Sci-Fi, Thriller | Visual Novel | Apr 12, 2018
The dark untold story of Steins;Gate that leads with the eccentric mad scientist Okabe, struggling to recover from a failed attempt at rescuing Kurisu. He decides to give up and abandons his lively scientist alter ego, in pursuit to forget the past. When all seems to be normal, he is seemingly pulled back into the past by meeting an acquaintance of Kurisu, who tells him that they have begun testing a device that stores the memory of a human and creates a simulation of them with their characteristics and personalities. Okabe begins testing and finds out that the simulation of Kurisu has brought back anguish and some new unexpected tragedies. Zero is a side story that explores events from the Beta Attractor Field's future that contribute in making the end of the original story possible.
PV
Thread

quote:

Gundam Build Divers
Sunrise | Watada, Shinya | Kimura, Noboru | Action, Mecha, Sci-Fi | Original | Apr 3, 2018
Gundam spinoff.
PV
Thread

quote:

Gegege no Kitarou (2018)
Toei Animation | Ogawa, Kouji |Oonogi, Hiroshi | Comedy, Demons, Shounen, Supernatural | Manga | Apr 1, 2018
New anime adaptation of Gegege no Kitarou.
PV
Thread

quote:

:siren:Lupin III: Part V
Telecom Animation Film | Yano, Yuuichirou | Okouchi, Ichiro | Action, Adventure, Comedy | Manga |Apr 4, 2018
In the new series, Lupin III will travel to France — the home of his grandfather and namesake, Maurice Leblanc's master thief character Arsène Lupin.
PV
Thread

quote:

Golden Kamuy
Geno Studio | Nanba, Hitoshi | Takagi, Noboru | Action, Adventure, Historical, Seinen | Manga | Apr 9, 2018
In Hokkaido, the far northern lands of Japan, Sugimoto survived the Russo-Japanese war of the Meiji era. Nicknamed "Sugimoto the Immortal" during the war, he now seeks the riches promised by the gold rush in hopes of saving the widowed wife of his now deceased comrade from the war. During his hunt of gold, he finds hints of a hidden stash of gold by corrupt criminals. Partnering with an Ainu girl that saves his life from the harsh climates of the north, they venture into a survival adventure to race against the criminals that seek the hidden stash.
PV
Thread

quote:

Aikatsu Friends!
Bandai Namco Pictures | Igarashi, Shishou | Kakihara, Yuuko | Magic, School, Shoujo, Slice of Life | Game | Apr 5, 2018
New season of Aikatsu.
PV
Thread

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Precure this week sure was great need subs now

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Motto posted:

anyway the real shitpost is that wotakoi is the big bang theory of anime

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Server lag/ping would be the big one as the more players you have on the more it would mess with things. It's why shooters tend to have caps for matches that are smaller than open world MMO's

We probably won't see a full scale Action/shooter MMO till most of the internet is on Fibre which won't happen any time soon (in North America)

Planetside managed this well, and that was a decade ago.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
This week's Amanchu was basically a whole episode of Maximum Pikari and it was excellent.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Hisone to Maso-tan was clearly in a rush to get to the first flight but also really good. I loved it.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
It felt pretty perfectly paced for me, and I'm generally a big fan of shows that /really/ take their time. How fast everything moved portrayed how it felt to Hisone well and fit how she reacted in the episode and the concept is silly enough that I don't think they really needed to stop and explain a bunch of technical stuff immediately

Knorth fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 15, 2018

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

lobster22221 posted:

I wonder what the biggest technical hurdles in making an openworld mmo-FPS would be in the present day? I'd imagine a huge issue would be draw range for sniping, especially if there is no real projectile. Both modern MMO's and shooters use TCP for important data, right? So that wouldn't be an issue? I wish I knew more about networking.
It can be done. Planetside was a true MMOFPS and it was released in 2003. It's just much harder than RPGs because shooter is just about the most latency-intolerant genre that exists, and the more frequently your server updates and clients communicate the more work they do per player, meaning performance will degrade more quickly when more players get close to each other. Combined with the fact that non-MMO shooters were more popular and easier to build and maintain I guess almost nobody saw the risk as worth the reward.

Games generally use UDP. TCP is very unsuited to low-latency applications because it sacrifices latency for reliability, and most games don't need reliability because if the internet loses a packet you can just resync on the next one 1/60th or 1/30th of a second later. The exception to that is strategy games where the game state is too big to be resynced on the fly. Those generally work by having all the clients run in lock-step and only sending "orders" over the network, so each client independently calculates exactly the same game state. I think they still usually use UDP though - they just add a simple and fast reliability protocol over it, because latency still matters and TCP would be overkill.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 15, 2018

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Sindai posted:

It can be done. Planetside was a true MMOFPS and it was released in 2003. It's just much harder than RPGs because shooter is just about the most latency-intolerant genre that exists, and the more frequently your server updates and clients communicate the more work they do per player, meaning performance will degrade more quickly when more players get close to each other. Combined with the fact that non-MMO shooters were more popular and easier to build and maintain I guess almost nobody saw the risk as worth the reward.

Games generally use UDP. TCP is very unsuited to low-latency applications because it sacrifices latency for reliability, and most games don't need reliability because if the internet loses a packet you can just resync on the next one 1/60th or 1/30th of a second later. The exception to that is strategy games where the game state is too big to be resynced on the fly. Those generally work by having all the clients run in lock-step and only sending "orders" over the network, so each client independently calculates exactly the same game state. I think they still usually use UDP though - they just add a simple and fast reliability protocol over it, because latency still matters and TCP would be overkill.

Ah, thanks.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I'm pretty sure that Kirito got to customise his avatar in the fairy game; maybe whoever owns that company now decided to make it freemium or something.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Hinamatsuri is already my favorite show of the season. Episode 2 was perfect, funniest show I've seen since Nichijou I think.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dzhay posted:

I'm pretty sure that Kirito got to customise his avatar in the fairy game; maybe whoever owns that company now decided to make it freemium or something.

No, I think he just happened to get an avatar that looks exactly like him a second time in a row.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Mentat Radnor posted:

Hinamatsuri is already my favorite show of the season. Episode 2 was perfect, funniest show I've seen since Nichijou I think.

All props to the team adapting this. Without even reading any of the manga I can tell the style of humor and all the pacing and deadpan delivery is spot-on.

The entire hidden talent bar-tending prodigy section was choice :discourse:

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

so is a quiet place good? Whoops, thought this was toonami thread. Still tho

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

there's a thread in the movie forum

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Is it just me or is Megalo Box terribly low resolution for some reason?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Zettace posted:

Is it just me or is Megalo Box terribly low resolution for some reason?

It's intentional.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It's intentional.

Yep. Downscaled then re-upscaled to give more of a retro feeling.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

dont tell people to go to the movie forum

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Motto posted:

I don't post there, so I guess I'm curious about your opinions specifically but also sure OK

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

It's intentional.
Okay.

chiasaur11 posted:

Ew.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 15, 2018

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Wotakoi was alright. I don't really like the main character's VA, and the two male characters are a bit too similar in both voice and personality. Some decent jokes, while others fell flat due to poor timing. I don't care that much about the otaku angle, but it might turn into a good romcom show.

Hisone to Masotan was great. I love the art-style and the expressions, and both pilots are great fun so far. The first episode did feel a bit rushed, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm mildly surprised at how many people felt like HisoMaso's first ep was rushed. It moved pretty fast, yeah, but I thought it felt very much like a deliberate tonal choice - trying to overwhelm the viewer akin to the way Hisone was overwhelmed by all the madness of the episode, plus it avoided getting bogged down in TOO much exposition around the absurd premise. Didn't feel like they were cramming stuff in just to save time or budget or something like that.

Not, like, a problem or anything. Just caught my eye is all.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 15, 2018

RME
Feb 20, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

it’s a bad mark on an otherwise good show

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's good, actually.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Araki posted:

Wotakoi was alright. I don't really like the main character's VA, and the two male characters are a bit too similar in both voice and personality. Some decent jokes, while others fell flat due to poor timing. I don't care that much about the otaku angle, but it might turn into a good romcom show.

I thought her voice was the best part of the episode. VA showed some good range, from satirically ultra cute to buddy buddy friend to disgruntled office lady to jaded romantic.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hinamatsuri is still a treat to watch. I'm glad it's been a while since I read the early chapters so that it's all basically fresh.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

It's good, actually.
I get that it's intentional and the reason behind it but the actual execution is terrible. It's just blurry and bad.

I watched the original Hajime no Ippo series last year and I didn't mind. However, Megalobox's attempt doesn't have any of the retro charm and just gets all the downside.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Tis the page of Hinamatsuri I guess, because I watched both episodes immediately on the slimmest premise above and it hit the mark.

This was my ten second summary to a friend:
"If Onizuka was Yakuza and rich, and Renge with Mob level psychic powers portalled into his life and started living with him"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nitta isn't anything like onizuka. i think the only thing they have in common is that they are both blonde.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

nitta isn't anything like onizuka. i think the only thing they have in common is that they are both blonde.

Well, and they're both basically decent guys despite appearances.

But yeah. For one of the most obvious examples, Nitta has almost definitely had sex at some point in his life.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm mildly surprised at how many people felt like HisoMaso's first ep was rushed. It moved pretty fast, yeah, but I thought it felt very much like a deliberate tonal choice - trying to overwhelm the viewer akin to the way Hisone was overwhelmed by all the madness of the episode, plus it avoided getting bogged down in TOO much exposition around the absurd premise. Didn't feel like they were cramming stuff in just to save time or budget or something like that.

Not, like, a problem or anything. Just caught my eye is all.

I'm not saying it was bad, just that not many series would go from "I am unaware of dragons" to "I refuse to ride this dragon" to "I am now riding the dragon" in the space of less than 25 minutes. A more conventional pacing would have been to end the first episode with the discovery of the dragon, and then spend the second episode on the "Get in the loving dragon Hisone" part, culminating in the first flight. Again, not necessarily bad, it just felt like they wanted to get all the exposition out of the way so that they could get to the fun stuff (dragons, and the riding thereof).

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I made a thread for Hisone to Masotan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Curses, I wanted to make this thread :argh: