Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Anticheese posted:

Can anyone please let me know if there is a goon-made list of recommended SKSE mods like the one in the OP, and if SPERG has been ported to SE? :shobon:

No, and yes respectively. You've basically gotta go through nexus and sort by most popular and make your own list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

counterfeitsaint posted:

No, and yes respectively. You've basically gotta go through nexus and sort by most popular and make your own list.

Thanks! I was able to get set up with the most obvious things (SkyUI, bugfixes, SPERG, and re-enabling achievements) and Mod Organiser 2.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I asked before and got no replies, so I'll try again:

I used to be able to run SkyrimSE. Old Skyrim runs fine.

After an update, SkyrimSE exists without an error message every time I start it. The launcher starts, I push Play, the screen flickers once and then nothing.Did all the usual stuff, run without mods, as admin, without Steam overlay, delete old ini files, reinstall, already installed in C:/Steam.

Any advice? Anywhere I could just start to troubleshoot this? Error logs?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The only times I've had a crash like that was when a mod was using a BSA, or I was loading a BSA, that wasn't compatible with the current version.

Since you've reinstalled that's probably not the problem.

I assume you've checked the file integrity in Steam?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

axolotl farmer posted:

I asked before and got no replies, so I'll try again:

I used to be able to run SkyrimSE. Old Skyrim runs fine.

After an update, SkyrimSE exists without an error message every time I start it. The launcher starts, I push Play, the screen flickers once and then nothing.Did all the usual stuff, run without mods, as admin, without Steam overlay, delete old ini files, reinstall, already installed in C:/Steam.

Were you using SKSE or NMM?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Yeah, I had a problem like that for awhile but it was because some nexus rear end in a top hat's drat link took me back to oldrim and I downloaded a mod from that without realizing it. With a fresh install I got nothing, sorry.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I assume you've checked the file integrity in Steam?

Yeah. All ok.

Ojjeorago posted:

Were you using SKSE or NMM?

Just trying to get it to run without mods first :sigh:

Aeric
Jul 24, 2007
i eat souls
Decided to fire up Oldrim again after reading about the DX9 fix for Windows 10's insider track. So I decided to try my luck with SnapDragon ENB, Noble Skyrim, and a bunch of other miscellaneous mesh and texture tweaks that'd previously choke up my game, and it's been surprisingly stable so far.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aeric posted:

Decided to fire up Oldrim again after reading about the DX9 fix for Windows 10's insider track. So I decided to try my luck with SnapDragon ENB, Noble Skyrim, and a bunch of other miscellaneous mesh and texture tweaks that'd previously choke up my game, and it's been surprisingly stable so far.

That's a magnificent purple cock.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

axolotl farmer posted:

Clean out the INI files in Documents\My Games\Skyrim (SE)?

Probably the only thing that is keeping remnants between fresh installs.

There may also be issues with drivers - things like audio/video codecs sometimes get testy when the system is a little off.

Check your sound output settings in Windows (Right click speaker icon in system tray -> Playback devices). What you're looking for is under the Advanced tab. I don't recall if Skyrim has any particular problems, but try 44,100 HZ, 16 bit or 32 bit. Try both. Just see if tinkering around there doesn't help. For reference, mine was 32-bit 48,000HZ, for reasons that are beyond me. Maybe it was Skyrim? :tinfoil: Bumped it back up to 192,000HZ after scoping this out for instructions.

:unsmith:

I don't think there is anything particular to video drivers/configuration and Skyrim, but you know: make sure drivers are updated.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Kiggles posted:

I don't think there is anything particular to video drivers/configuration and Skyrim, but you know: make sure drivers are updated.

Welp, I though I already did that before cleaning out and reinstalling everything, but a clean install of graphic card drivers seems to have fixed it for now (knock on wood)!

Thanks, everyone!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Aeric posted:

Final Fantasy XVI looking good.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Is that sword trail attached to the specific weapon or is it an effect mod?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Aeric posted:

Needs more anime

Aeric
Jul 24, 2007
i eat souls

Caphi posted:

Is that sword trail attached to the specific weapon or is it an effect mod?

It came with a mod that adds a couple of button combination special attacks from this author https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/users/1034867

Unfortunately it isn't packaged, so you'll probably want to merge the plugins.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Recently started a new Skyrim SE playthrough, so thought I should post some of what I use for SE. More of a minimalist modlist this time so not many sadly.

Reminder that SKSE SE is out, so SkyUI is fully up to date.

Quick Loot SE from Fallout 4, which this version of the mod is the most stable one I've seen. Had no issues yet, you can even quick pickpocket.

MoreHUD SE is pretty much one of the most useful mods out there. Shows you how much better the equipment you are looking at is than what you are wearing, gives you the value/weight calculation when looking at an object, what it will put your carry weight to, if you've read a book/disenchanted the object before, and lots more. All configurable through the MCM.

Diverse Dragons Collection SE I'm not sure fully about, but if you want more dragon diversity this should more than have you covered. It has an MCM to disable any dragon variations you don't like as well.

Harvest Overhaul Redone is a complete rewrite of the original mod and has separate files for Plants and Creatures. Makes a lot more sense than the vanilla harvesting system, although I still think it's rather unbalanced. But Alchemy isn't great anyway so doesn't hurt much.

Obsidian Weathers and Seasons is probably my favorite weather mod out there. The weather integrates pretty seamlessly into the game, unlike some weather mods which just feel tacked on. Doesn't have a random obsession with making nights impossible to see out of, and just generally has pretty great attention to detail.

Signature Equipment is probably the closest we'll get to the Signature Weapon/Armor mods from New Vegas. It's a pretty simple and seamless implementation, killing enemies causes your equipment to be tempered with how many enemies it takes depending on how good the weapon already was and the level difference between you and the enemy. You don't have to use any menus, there aren't any popups, it just happens as you play. Everything that you are wearing/using at the time gets this, so armor, weapons, and even jewelry(although this just increases value). Basically you can use this to completely replace Smithing for playthroughs where you don't want to use it. It has an MCM menu so you can modify how many kills it takes to upgrade the tempering, as well as set caps on how high the damage/armor bonuses get if you want them. Works with modded items as well.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Cool post Zeron.

Inasmuch as pretty much no one who heavily mods Skyrim is still playing Oldrim at this point, maybe an updated or new OP is in order?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Cool post Zeron.

Inasmuch as pretty much no one who heavily mods Skyrim is still playing Oldrim at this point, maybe an updated or new OP is in order?

It took months for them to make the current OP, and some people have lovely old computers that can't run SE.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eric the Mauve posted:

Cool post Zeron.

I do. :smithicide:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Eric the Mauve posted:

By all means, go for it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm too anxious to upgrade because I feel like I'll get days into the modding process and realise one of the mods I want to use hasn't been ported

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm too anxious to upgrade because I feel like I'll get days into the modding process and realise one of the mods I want to use hasn't been ported
Porting something over from Oldrim to SkyrimSE isn't really complex or time consuming though.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Is the special edition really the way to go for modding? I assumed it was too but after screwing around with it for several days and seeing what the delayed SKSE has done to SE mods I'm not so sure anymore.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I haven't seen too much discussion in here about SkyrimVR but it's consumed me for most of the time I've been off work and got back from vacation so I figured I'd vomit some words here.

It's cool as hell to be 'in Skyrim'. It has sold me completely on the fact that a TES game can work in VR. However, it has also sold me on the fact that VR is not quite there yet. The novelty has worn off to the point that the resolution and graphical downgrade from SSE is annoying me a bit. Granted a large part of that is I have a 4k monitor and everything just looks so crisp and smooth on it.

So far it looks like nearly every non-SKSE mod works pretty flawlessly in VR. Admittedly I don't go crazy with mods like some goons do, but Bruma so far has worked flawlessly.

The SKSE dev apparently took a gander at VR and said "this is super easy to make work" so there should be a SKVRSE soon, and hopefully then a SkyUI too.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Eric the Mauve posted:

Inasmuch as pretty much no one who heavily mods Skyrim is still playing Oldrim at this point

this is entirely wrong

some people who really heavily mod Skyrim still play oldrim because there are so many mods simply unavailable on SE. is that number decreasing as SE mod support gets better, sure, will it ever be zero - no.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Sky Shadowing posted:

I haven't seen too much discussion in here about SkyrimVR but it's consumed me for most of the time I've been off work and got back from vacation so I figured I'd vomit some words here.

It's cool as hell to be 'in Skyrim'. It has sold me completely on the fact that a TES game can work in VR. However, it has also sold me on the fact that VR is not quite there yet. The novelty has worn off to the point that the resolution and graphical downgrade from SSE is annoying me a bit. Granted a large part of that is I have a 4k monitor and everything just looks so crisp and smooth on it.

I can deal with the graphical downgrade, with supersampling in particular the game can still look pretty great. The main beef I have is the controls, which are very video gamey and not natural feeling at all, showing controllers instead of hands and relying on button presses instead of physically manipulating objects. Though maybe that is asking a bit much from a port.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is there a way to not having clipping/transparency when your FOV is higher than the default and you're against a wall

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

SwissCM posted:

I can deal with the graphical downgrade, with supersampling in particular the game can still look pretty great. The main beef I have is the controls, which are very video gamey and not natural feeling at all, showing controllers instead of hands and relying on button presses instead of physically manipulating objects. Though maybe that is asking a bit much from a port.

That's part of it for me too. I don't care so much about the graphical downgrade but I don't think the VR necessarily adds enough by itself to negate what you play SSE. Zero vanilla ability to see your character beyond character creation- say what you will but I really like watching my guy move from lovely Iron armor to full-pelt Daedric. Not even your hands, the only part of your body you can ever see in VR, get armor as you upgrade your gauntlets. That's the big one. Also, tons of people like playing pretty pretty dressup.

Graphics is not the end-all-be-all of my desires, but that's a double edged sword: as much as I would be willing to set aside the graphical downgrade, I'm also equally willing to get over the 3d aspect of being in VR.

I feel less like I'm playing a character and more like I'm playing... myself. I roleplay just enough to let me see all the content, but I do like getting into the mind of a character.

Yes, there's one mod that lets you pop out into Race Menu whenever you want and see your character before you in full 3d, but that's not quiiite what I like.

In the end with Skyrim VR it's Skyrim. Once the novelty of seeing everything in 3d wears off I start missing things.

That said I have set it up so I have a symlink between my SSE and VR save folders, and perfectly linked the modlists (apart from the VR ESM), so I can jump between versions at will right now.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 16, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
To offer a counter to the Skyrim VR experience:

Normally when I play Flatrim (:smug:) I don't care about playing dressup and care more about roleplaying whatever character I've set out to make. To that end Skyrim VR works great and I actually quite enjoy the slower aspect of it. I walk places quietly now and it's nice with the modded sound mods (and the 3D audio patch) because I never play with music on. Soaking up the world is great even if the mountains do look like a movie set since they can't be more than 100ft high or so and seem to be a few hundred feet away from you even at their furthest.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
What's the state of modding like for the special edition Skyrim now? I remember when it first came out you couldn't use the script extender and almost all the good mods were useless. What about now? Can you use sperg and all that other stuff? I wouldn't mind a prettier and more stable version of the game.

e: Just took a look at some of the mods for SE on nexus. Looks like there are plenty to work with, so I went ahead and grabbed the SE while it was on sale. I may just use Ordinator and the Apocalypse spell pack to jazz things up. Any recommendations for mods like "more weapons than just the boring iron/steel/glass tiers" and something that might add some random rear end monsters that may or may not kick my rear end while out and about? Maybe something to add a little difficulty to balance everything out. I think last time I modded in that manner in oldrim, when I cranked it up to very hard to compensate I just wound up getting one shot it seemed like but that was a while back so I'm not sure.

e: does MO2 work basically the same way as the first one? It wasn't that hard once you got used to using it.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 16, 2018

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Skyrim VR seems great because it makes combat archery enjoyable and a viable option.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Sky Shadowing posted:

In the end with Skyrim VR it's Skyrim. Once the novelty of seeing everything in 3d wears off I start missing things.

It's hard for me to go back to non-VR at this point in general, despite it's flaws I don't think I'll be bothering with non VR Skyrim anymore. There's been enough awe inspiring moments that it's clearly been worth it.

Nasgate posted:

Skyrim VR seems great because it makes combat archery enjoyable and a viable option.

It's actually kind of broken, you can shoot arrows at a ridiculous rate because you're not limited to reload animation timings anymore. Would have been solvable by requiring the grabbing of arrows from a quiver on your back (many other VR archery implementations do this) but instead it just spawns arrows in your hand.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 16, 2018

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Tbf that brings it closer in line with archery historically.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

What's the state of modding like for the special edition Skyrim now? I remember when it first came out you couldn't use the script extender and almost all the good mods were useless. What about now? Can you use sperg and all that other stuff? I wouldn't mind a prettier and more stable version of the game.

e: Just took a look at some of the mods for SE on nexus. Looks like there are plenty to work with, so I went ahead and grabbed the SE while it was on sale. I may just use Ordinator and the Apocalypse spell pack to jazz things up. Any recommendations for mods like "more weapons than just the boring iron/steel/glass tiers" and something that might add some random rear end monsters that may or may not kick my rear end while out and about? Maybe something to add a little difficulty to balance everything out. I think last time I modded in that manner in oldrim, when I cranked it up to very hard to compensate I just wound up getting one shot it seemed like but that was a while back so I'm not sure.

e: does MO2 work basically the same way as the first one? It wasn't that hard once you got used to using it.

I'm digging Immersive Armors and Wildcat for gear and combat rebalancing. Also Violens just to disable enemy killmoves cause gently caress it I hate em.

Also yeah MO2 is basically just MO but updated for more functionality/stability as the original author got poached to make the successor to NMM and stopped updating.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Honestly it's pretty bad. All the major mods released stripped down SKSE-less versions when it came out and moved on. Now SKSE is kinda out but there isn't a lot of interest in going back to update them again. Hope you don't like Frostfall, that mod only stripped some SKSE hooks out, not all, so now it literally won't run properly with SKSE installed, you get to choose between SKSE or Frostfall.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Sky Shadowing posted:

It's cool as hell to be 'in Skyrim'. It has sold me completely on the fact that a TES game can work in VR. However, it has also sold me on the fact that VR is not quite there yet. The novelty has worn off to the point that the resolution and graphical downgrade from SSE is annoying me a bit.

Read a lot of people saying Skyrim looks poo poo in VR but like you say it's the opposite really. The screen door and FoV limitations on the Rift are more grating and stifling than in made-for-VR games.

Good news for next gen VR though, Skyrim'll be the perfect showcase if the devs iron out the bugs first.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

MO2 is basically the same as regular Skyrim + MO.

There are a few weapon packs that work, and they add a nice bunch of stuff. I think I'm using the Skyrim SE Expanded Skyrim Weaponry mod. Immersive Armours is a good pack for the armour side of things as well.
Immersive creatures adds a loving ton of stuff all over the map, some of which will just kill you at low levels. I like it. I don't know how lore friendly it is, but nothing I've ran into stood out as some anime self insert or anything dumb like that. I've heard some negative things about it but I like the variety.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

MO2 is basically the same as regular Skyrim + MO.

There are a few weapon packs that work, and they add a nice bunch of stuff. I think I'm using the Skyrim SE Expanded Skyrim Weaponry mod. Immersive Armours is a good pack for the armour side of things as well.
Immersive creatures adds a loving ton of stuff all over the map, some of which will just kill you at low levels. I like it. I don't know how lore friendly it is, but nothing I've ran into stood out as some anime self insert or anything dumb like that. I've heard some negative things about it but I like the variety.

Yeah, Immersive Creatures adds some fun stuff, and you can turn off some of the more out there creatures if you're a lore sperg.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

Honestly it's pretty bad. All the major mods released stripped down SKSE-less versions when it came out and moved on. Now SKSE is kinda out but there isn't a lot of interest in going back to update them again. Hope you don't like Frostfall, that mod only stripped some SKSE hooks out, not all, so now it literally won't run properly with SKSE installed, you get to choose between SKSE or Frostfall.

Frostfall has always been garbage tho, so ymmv compared to this poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Hallelujah someone has finally ported meh's double perk fix to SSE.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/16544

SSE modding isn't that bad. If you are inclined you can piece together working versions of Frostfall, ineed, Racemenu, that use SKSE etc by following guides. There's only a couple mods I really miss but nothing is worth giving up the improved stability, performance, and shadows of SSE.