Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

Terraria also had a huge amount of post release support from the very beginning and stuck around so long that it's essentially gotten to be a new game 4 or 5 times so no one really remembers how rough it was at launch.
Remember when you needed a hammer to retrieve placed furniture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

*watches the guide kick the door of its hinges in the middle of night*
Those were the days...

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I still have an old world where as soon as I got to hard mode, clowns came in and bombed the poo poo out of my base. My solution was to build a castle on stilts above it, but I left the bombed-out husk below. Eventually the hallow crept into it to make it feel even more abandoned. It was really cool, and then they removed enemies being able to destroy your poo poo because it sucks rear end.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ssthalar posted:

*watches the guide kick the door of its hinges in the middle of night*
Those were the days...
To this very day I don't permit my residents doors to the outside, for this reason.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

Remember when you needed a hammer to retrieve placed furniture?

This included life crystals and shadow orbs.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
A list of all the simple additions and quality of life changes would be pages long at this point. Off the top of my head here are some of the bigger ones I remember:
  • No alchemy system
  • Health potions had no cooldown
  • Had to click once for every single time you wanted to craft/pick up an item; no holding down the mouse button
  • NPCs didn't have names, it'd just say "merchant has arrived!"
  • Skeletron was the final boss, molten was endgame equipment
  • Chests were half the size, inventory had one less row, no trash slot or sorting of any kind
  • Only one kind of door, basically one set of furniture
  • All bricks looked the same, just color swapped
  • The grappling hook would collide with enemies
  • No reforging
  • Worse lighting system, no colored lighting
  • Dungeons looked like this

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
The thing is that even the early terraria had its main ideas pretty set (I came late but remember when corrupters still spread corruption, I had huge wall on my corruption side of base and would go lava spree every time too much violet grass was close by since corruptor spit would fly FAR if it missed you in-flight) and terraria has always been going forward one patch at a time

On the other hand I had starbound in beta and they never got anything right after their first couple overhauls so whereas starting new terraria at 1.1, 1.2 and so on has always been “what new good stuff they’ve added to already nice game” every overhaul/update/release from starbound seemed to make it more tedious and less fun.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Molten didn't even exist at first. Blade of Grass was the end game sword.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I'm sure Redigit and friends have learned quite a lot about the development of their game. I'm sure there's a lot of things they wish they've done differently and have worked themselves into a corner on at least a few things. So the idea of them starting over from scratch, and applying everything they've learned from the original, really excites me.

Wishlist;

* There's the obvious "inbuilt mod support from the get go", of which I agree.
* Let's start WITH a map this time.
* Starbound's grapling hooks.
* Starbound's multiple-tile digging/placing system
* In general, a better inventory management system that doesn't get more poo poo as the number of items increases. Think ahead.
* At least take a look and consider Starbound's 2-hands equip system.... Duel wielding stuff is cool...

Now I know what you're thinking! And, yes, Starbound is a BAD GAME (it still doesn't have a map system of any kind, and the devs aren't even working on one in their next lovely update). BUT: it does have a few really good nuggets that I listed above.

Other fun things;
* A portals system that works kind of like Minecraft's nether. I.e. as a quick mode of travel between great distances. Maybe with an event that causes the hellworld to spill into the overworld.
* a better magic system that isn't tied to items?
* somehow create a elemental damage combining system. I.e. fire and ice make "blast", electric and ice make "magnetic", etc. Think warframe's elemental combining or divinity:os's thing.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 15, 2018

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

Terraria is one of the best gaming experiences I've had in the last 10 years, I'm not sure if it's because I came in late into development and they were hands-off or not. I'm pretty afraid they'll release another patch that makes me fantisize about the old days, like Warcraft or LoL or Minecraft or any other game that's somehow managed to be relevant for over 6 years.

Youd have a better experience playing starbound

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I was one of those Champs. I was so hungry for this game I suffered though all those PBat videos just to get a taste of Terraria.

I played the leaked alpha and it was SO FUN.
Bought it the second it came out and played hundreds of hours.
Free expansion with Hard mode? Play it though five more times.
Moon Lord patch? Couple more worlds, one regular, one expert.
Then I modded the poo poo out of it and got another 40 hours out of the game.

It's kind of tough when the first entry into a sub-genre is the best one. There are a lot of games now that are "Terraria, but..." and in all the ones I've played it's "but not as good.

I want a Terraria 2 because I want another game as good as Terraria that isn't the same game with mods or another bit of content added in somewhere.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

grimcreaper posted:

Youd have a better experience playing starbound

I'm sorry sir, but this is a no creaping zone. I'm going to have to ask that you please creap elsewhere.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Fairly sure I got introduced to Terraria via PBat, by the time the Terraria vids got uploaded I'd already been subscribed to him for a good while due to his Minecraft vids

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

ThaumPenguin posted:

Fairly sure I got introduced to Terraria via PBat, by the time the Terraria vids got uploaded I'd already been subscribed to him for a good while due to his Minecraft vids

I'm kind of fumbling with an analogy here but you just admitted to what amounts to an embarrassing personal secret.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i remember the days when we were all clinging to every scrap of video from pbat and his forgetting that he has an anvil multiple times, and then getting the leak where the end-all be-all of weaponry was that blazing flail that dropped from the bone snakes in hell.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I'm kind of fumbling with an analogy here but you just admitted to what amounts to an embarrassing personal secret.

I've got no problem admitting it, he was literally the first Minecraft youtuber I came across, before I had been able to get Minecraft for myself. I basically watched his vids so I could "play" Minecraft (and assumably Terraria) vicariously, through him.

My memory from that time is pretty vague, but I'm pretty sure I stopped watching watching him regularly once I actually got my hands on the games for myself (November 2010 I think?). I don't really know how terraria fits into this chronology

e: I don't really see why "as a 16-year old i had vaguely questionable taste in youtubers" is anything to be particularly embarrassed about

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 15, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ThaumPenguin posted:

e: I don't really see why "as a 16-year old i had vaguely questionable taste in youtubers" is anything to be particularly embarrassed about

it's not the taste in youtubers. it's admitting to watching people play minecraft on youtube

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Because everything about being 16 is embarrassing. Burn away that part of your history. I sprang fully formed from the mind of a seven armed fish god, brandishing an axe that glows with purple fire.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

DaveKap posted:

It's less about how poorly the clones did and more about how perfectly Terraria did it. The factors that make Terraria gel into such a good game are varied and many, so copying them all in order to nail the same feel would mean creating something so close to a "clone" that everyone would call bullshit on the dev. Starbound was close but they still couldn't come up with a way to make the core play loop as fun, let alone build a sustainable UI to stand up to the utter insanity of inventory management. Everyone else wasn't a former Terraria artist so everyone else either ended up with a lovely looking game or a game that tried to be something else and couldn't execute.

The main reason Starbound failed was because they said "hey let's make Terraria but in space" then Tiyuri looked at a list labelled "things that made Terraria fun" and said "let's do literally none of these things."

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The main reason Starbound failed was because they said "hey let's make Terraria but in space" then Tiyuri looked at a list labelled "things that made Terraria fun" and said "let's do literally none of these things."

Im pretty sure he said "gently caress that stuff with stick." Before he proceeded to make something very promising into such an abomination.

The mod community took a shot at making it better and partially succeeded but basically gave us Arthmoor's pissbrained shitstain of a son as payback.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

grimcreaper posted:

Im pretty sure he said "gently caress that stuff with stick." Before he proceeded to make something very promising into such an abomination.

The mod community took a shot at making it better and partially succeeded but basically gave us Arthmoor's pissbrained shitstain of a son as payback.

Satyr, im talking about you. Yes. You.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I bought this game the day it came out and finished it over that afternoon. Game was reasonably fun but had little content.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I'll be honest, if Terraria had gotten official mod support i'd have dropped Starbound modding like a big bag of doodoo and never looked back. Terraria is just objectively a superior game in every regard except modding, and even then it's just my own distrust of having to deal with third-party bullshit that makes it not shine in that area for me personally.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TModloader might as well be official at this point. There's really no reason to add official support when the community has already hooked everything.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

dis astranagant posted:

TModloader might as well be official at this point. There's really no reason to add official support when the community has already hooked everything.

There is in fact lots of reason.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I just kind of can't trust third party stuff after the shitshow C&C Renegade devolved into when official support was dropped. The people who took over basically mandated that everyone install their own anti-cheat software to play the game at all - if you didn't, anyone who did have the anti-cheat basically had authority to kick you from any server without even being a moderator. It just seemed like a gigantic security hole waiting to happen on top of the whole idea just seeming skeevy as poo poo so I just didn't bother.

I get that it's a far cry between that and Terraria's mod loaders, but it still just soured me on the whole concept.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Molten didn't even exist at first. Blade of Grass was the end game sword.

Wait, what? I could have swore PBat had the molten set by the end of his playthrough.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Akett posted:

Wait, what? I could have swore PBat had the molten set by the end of his playthrough.

Looks like I'm confusing the launch version with the leak.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

I Said No posted:

I just kind of can't trust third party stuff after the shitshow C&C Renegade devolved into when official support was dropped. The people who took over basically mandated that everyone install their own anti-cheat software to play the game at all - if you didn't, anyone who did have the anti-cheat basically had authority to kick you from any server without even being a moderator. It just seemed like a gigantic security hole waiting to happen on top of the whole idea just seeming skeevy as poo poo so I just didn't bother.

I get that it's a far cry between that and Terraria's mod loaders, but it still just soured me on the whole concept.

Community modders taking over has all the disadvantages of official mod support without the benefit of stability due to people making money off of it.

It can really go both ways, but I'd expect it to end in failure and/or disappointment.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I was one of those Champs. I was so hungry for this game I suffered though all those PBat videos just to get a taste of Terraria.

I played the leaked alpha and it was SO FUN.
Bought it the second it came out and played hundreds of hours.
Free expansion with Hard mode? Play it though five more times.
Moon Lord patch? Couple more worlds, one regular, one expert.
Then I modded the poo poo out of it and got another 40 hours out of the game.

It's kind of tough when the first entry into a sub-genre is the best one. There are a lot of games now that are "Terraria, but..." and in all the ones I've played it's "but not as good.

I want a Terraria 2 because I want another game as good as Terraria that isn't the same game with mods or another bit of content added in somewhere.
:same: on all accounts except I waited however long between Moon Lord patch and this past week to get to the modded step. I'm 70+ hours in on mods (apparently?! Unemployment + probably leaving the game on a bunch = I don't really know how accurate that is) and am just now trying to start Hardmode. Unfortunately the combination of Tremor/Corruption/Thorium/Overhaul and Expert mode makes the bosses way harder than I'm used to. It used to be Sunfury and Demonic Lance were the Heater of Worlds (Wall of Flesh? whatever it is) killers but now I can only get it 1/3 dead before I'm sunk wearing molten armor.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 15, 2018

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Of all the games I've ever played, Terraria might be the one I most wish I could re-experience blind. I was there since the first release and played through at every major patch, so I got content on a slow feed.
What I wouldn't give to just plunge completely unaware into Terraria in its finished state. Not building on anything, just a whole world to explore with all the content it has now and no idea of where it's heading.

I'm deeply jealous of people who only started playing recently.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Of all the games I've ever played, Terraria might be the one I most wish I could re-experience blind. I was there since the first release and played through at every major patch, so I got content on a slow feed.
What I wouldn't give to just plunge completely unaware into Terraria in its finished state. Not building on anything, just a whole world to explore with all the content it has now and no idea of where it's heading.

I'm deeply jealous of people who only started playing recently.
I'm telling you, playing with a few content mods is kinda like this for me. There are plenty of "kill this to unlock that" and "biome this changes like that when you do this thing and that thing" things in the major mods that refresh the game quite well. Overhaul changes the basics of play, too.

Unless you already did that in which case, yeah, this and Breath of the Wild are both "wipe my brain" games for sure.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 15, 2018

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, I've hit most of the overhaul mods and even gotten the post-endgame mega-soul that you get from combining almost every rare drop in the game.
(Turns out it sucks because it makes you move too fast.) :shrug:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Speaking of mods, who remembers... Secret of Red Cloud, I think it was called? From before the mod loader existed, I believe.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zereth posted:

Speaking of mods, who remembers... Secret of Red Cloud, I think it was called? From before the mod loader existed, I believe.

That map was fantastic. Well, okay, I lie, it was actually a huge janky mess that barely functioned at all and was entirely reliant on the honor system to work because crafting would break the intended progression, but it did some amazing things at the time like having custom bosses and a pseudo-RPG progression through gear acquisition.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

That was the "Dark Souls of Terraria" mod right? I got like 30 minutes in and got bored. I wanted mining and crafting more!

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005

Zereth posted:

This was all I remember about modded Terraria so I never really considered checking up on mods until I saw this thread pop up the other day and people talking about the mod loader. Now I'm making a new world with a bunch of mods and I'm looking forward to it because it's been a couple years since I played Terraria.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I remember using .Net reflector to peek into the leak version's source code out of curiosity and found a lot of really confusing code. Weird stuff like

code:

if (33 < 99) {
    return false
{

Is that was obfuscated code looks like? Well anyways, that's my early days of Terraria memory.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
No, that's not what obfuscated code looks like. Red was a terrible coder at the time. Like all of the weapons were the same class and a huge pile of if else if was what showed the graphic or something.

A lot of Terraria's code is very, very bad. Or was, at least; it's probably been cleaned up a lot since.

Obfuscated code renames all the variables and functions into gibberish, removes comments, and obliterates white space. It takes readable code and makes it very unreadable to people but still readable to machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

No, that's not what obfuscated code looks like. Red was a terrible coder at the time. Like all of the weapons were the same class and a huge pile of if else if was what showed the graphic or something.

A lot of Terraria's code is very, very bad. Or was, at least; it's probably been cleaned up a lot since.

Obfuscated code renames all the variables and functions into gibberish, removes comments, and obliterates white space. It takes readable code and makes it very unreadable to people but still readable to machines.

Yea I noticed a lot of that too. Just goes to show you that actually executing an idea can be worth millions, meanwhile I can't finish a small Unity project because I hate my code.