Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

xzzy posted:

You call that disorganized?

I don't even consider this that messy. :v:

(I plan nothing, I just kind of plop poo poo until a problem develops and do whatever it takes to fix it while minimizing the reconstructing I do)

Why can't I stop screaming?

For pictures of my Newbie Base Mk 2: this is what I was working with yesterday at the beginning of the day.

It was disorganized, it was sloppy, oil production wasn't up yet but plotted, I had a :wtc: overengineered belt layout for my science labs, and most importantly the zedprime cardinal sin of building most everything I needed to keep expanding by hand. It basically served to make red and green research and nothing else.

This is what I wound up with by the end of the night - Newbie Base Mk 3:
I redesigned my red and green research area. Not pictured is the logistics buffer chest I added to the inserters.

My research labs: The belts are redesigned so that I can pull from three belts easily. My blue research is coming from up north, my military research is being pumped in from the south side of that pond in the corner.

Steel production and my main metal busses. You can see my belt production area in the top left, chips below that, and military research running off the screen below that.

A better shot of the belt production, as well as where blue research and electric motors lives. I need to redo my buffer chests here to better reflect what I've learned.

I don't have a good shot of my oil production, but it's fine. I'm pulling my layout pretty much verbatim from the Katherin of Sky tutorials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

Anyone know the solution to the pressing q to remove item from hand doesn't work bug? Pretty annoying

Bind that action to mouse3 so it becomes the middle-mouse to remove item from hand doesn't work bug.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
Holy mother of gently caress is angles bobs slow as hell especially with AII's burner bonanza , I loving love it. Spent so far 4 hours loving around, had to gen a new map because default evolution was cranking loving fast and :toot: at still relying heavily on burners and it already sitting at 5% especially with bobs enemies.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I'm playing the 0.16 Seablock modpack. How the gently caress do I get a desert tree for a desert tree seed generator? I'm trying to get wood without going through cellulose paste, since I haven't researched the precursors for it yet.

edit: figured it out. apparently, they spawn way the gently caress out there in worm island territory. Did a 1 tile landbridge out here after radar picked it up.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 14, 2018

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Built my first tank this afternoon. Went out hunting, only I didn't bring enough ammunition and ended up getting chased by two dozen angry insects.

Fortunately I had the presence of mind to lead the horde back to my base of operations, where my well-stocked turret defense system made short work of the stragglers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Yeah as I said when the other guy was talking about Angelbob's, the biggest source of frustration in Bob's is circuits because dude does NOT let up. Tier 0.5 are okay, 1.0 aren't that bad, 1.5 are actually easier than 1.0 by a bit but aren't used by much besides basic bots, and then tier 2.0 is "holyfuckwhat?"

The biggest frustrations in Angels are sorting (hint: look up the stuff to mix two or more ores together to get pure iron/copper/whatever), stone and petrochem which it sounds like you have well in hand.

Yeah I'm looking to use the catalysts to get specific ores, and I just finished this... thing... that produces the first three circuit types and should let me manufacture the first three sciences too! I also since I started producing white circuits, am now able to build logistics robots that should hopefully help with later stages of complex production.

e: so I just automated the production of logistics robots using logistics robots and it just now occurs to me that this might possibly be a bad thing.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Apr 14, 2018

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I'm looking to use the catalysts to get specific ores, and I just finished this... thing... that produces the first three circuit types and should let me manufacture the first three sciences too! I also since I started producing white circuits, am now able to build logistics robots that should hopefully help with later stages of complex production.

e: so I just automated the production of logistics robots using logistics robots and it just now occurs to me that this might possibly be a bad thing.

This is actually really tidy for Bobs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wow logistics robots are insanely good.

I'm literally now automating the production of logistics stuff so I can place logistics stuff in the satellite view and it'll build itself.

Also they make more of themselves so it's slowly accelerating production of all the stuff they're involved in.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Yeah they're really powerful. I thought it takes a lot of the challenge away myself and try mostly use belts. Personal roboports are an exception.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I might try belts only in vanilla but with the amount of different crap I'm handling with the mods I think I'm going to need to use robots.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Belts remain a requirement even into the late game for bulk manufacturing

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah that too they're significantly faster than the bots even with low tier belts so once I move into mass production I'll use more of them. As it stands this modpack's kinda proving more about getting through the tech tree to unlock all the infrastructure before I look into massively expanding how much of it I build. No point building a production chain en masse if I then need to insert an extra step later on.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

M_Gargantua posted:

Belts remain a requirement even into the late game for bulk manufacturing

Nah, bots or trains are always better compared to belts, in all ways except power used.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Nukes kind of flipped the switch on belt superiority I think, at least to make mass logistics bots more capital practical. The latest belt patches have been trying to at least close the gap in computation required.

You should use belts though because 100% bots turns into sort of just less complicated Anno.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Belts are more aesthetically pleasing than bots. :colbert:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Solumin posted:

Belts are more aesthetically pleasing than bots. :colbert:

zedprime posted:

You should use belts though because 100% bots turns into sort of just less complicated Anno.

Agreed with both. I hope they find a way to make the choice between belts and bots interesting.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
Crazy ideas for making belts more competitive:

Add a "middle lane" that can only be formed by merging from both sides. The middle lane acts as a loader.

Assemblers can load/unload directly onto underground belts passing under them, enabling better beacon layouts.

Bots have much less effective range within beacon fields.

Fuel quality effects burner inserter speed. Nuclear-powered burner inserters become super effective.

Bots effective range depends on cargo weight. (Buff to restocking ammo and land mines, nerf to assembling heavy machinery.)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

zedprime posted:

Nukes kind of flipped the switch on belt superiority I think, at least to make mass logistics bots more capital practical. The latest belt patches have been trying to at least close the gap in computation required.

Yup. Before nuclear plants the enormous amount of power require to run that many robots was very onerous. Imagine generating GW of power with nothing but coal and solar. It can be done sure but the effort required was massive. I never got to GWs worth of power before nukes.

Then nuclear power came along and my first megafactory had a few dozen reactors generating I don't even know how the gently caress much power. I had such a ridiculous infrastructure going for them I didn't even need to turn them off. Just stuff them full of uranium as fast as they'll eat it and call it a day.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yup. Before nuclear plants the enormous amount of power require to run that many robots was very onerous. Imagine generating GW of power with nothing but coal and solar. It can be done sure but the effort required was massive. I never got to GWs worth of power before nukes.

Fun fact: For truly huge bot bases, this is exactly what you need to do, because giant fields of solar panels require less CPU time because the game merges all connected panels/accumulators into one giant object, instead of having to simulate all the heat/steam pipes. Granted, I'm pretty sure we're talking something like multiple terawatt bases at that point, but still.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
A fourth belt tier (perhaps these could require power or lube topups) and speed module support for inserters would really give a boost to belts.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I've hit that point in the game where I need to get oil running and scale up my smelting and go exploring for more ore and oh look the pollution cloud is close to the biters...

That is, the overwhelming stage.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

yoloer420 posted:

A fourth belt tier (perhaps these could require power or lube topups) and speed module support for inserters would really give a boost to belts.

The problem is you'd need to upgrade inserters to grab off of those faster tiers. Anything faster than Blue Belts and even Fast insertrs start having trouble...and if you upgrade inserters well then you effectively upgrade belts too.

I would like it if you had some sort of express belt that you can't grab off of though. Sort of like a "highway" belt that is only for getting stuff to from A to B, and you need ot branch stuff off of onto slower belts.

Solumin posted:

I've hit that point in the game where I need to get oil running and scale up my smelting and go exploring for more ore and oh look the pollution cloud is close to the biters...

That is, the overwhelming stage.

Incorrect, other than getting oil running, that's the eternal stage

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
True that! Despite all my play time, I've only gotten to this stage a couple times. Something always stops me from playing for a few weeks, and then I never get back into it. So I have no real experience with this eternal stage.

like i should really be working on my LP instead...

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

DeathSandwich posted:

Why can't I stop screaming?

For pictures of my Newbie Base Mk 2: this is what I was working with yesterday at the beginning of the day.

It was disorganized, it was sloppy, oil production wasn't up yet but plotted, I had a :wtc: overengineered belt layout for my science labs, and most importantly the zedprime cardinal sin of building most everything I needed to keep expanding by hand. It basically served to make red and green research and nothing else.

This is what I wound up with by the end of the night - Newbie Base Mk 3:
I redesigned my red and green research area. Not pictured is the logistics buffer chest I added to the inserters.

My research labs: The belts are redesigned so that I can pull from three belts easily. My blue research is coming from up north, my military research is being pumped in from the south side of that pond in the corner.

Steel production and my main metal busses. You can see my belt production area in the top left, chips below that, and military research running off the screen below that.

A better shot of the belt production, as well as where blue research and electric motors lives. I need to redo my buffer chests here to better reflect what I've learned.

I don't have a good shot of my oil production, but it's fine. I'm pulling my layout pretty much verbatim from the Katherin of Sky tutorials.

Oh, that is weeeird. The factory I made more recently looked like that. Same place for everything in relation to each other. Same concrete laid out in the same ways. Same power spot with the science in that spot. Even the production areas are the same. That is super weird.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I've said it before, but all they need to do with belts is to enable Loaders in stock.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I have the feeling they're going to nerf bots instead.

Enable logistic bot collisions. :getin:

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.

Alkydere posted:

I would like it if you had some sort of express belt that you can't grab off of though. Sort of like a "highway" belt that is only for getting stuff to from A to B, and you need ot branch stuff off of onto slower belts.

I believe that is called "a train".

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

this is gonna sound really stupid, but I'm in need of some maths explanation.

according to this and this online production calculator, 1 blue assembler can create 3 yellow belts per second, or 180 per minute. But I don't see how that's possible:

raw production for 1 yellow belt is .5 seconds, a blue assembler has a production modifier of 0.75, so final production time for 1 belt is 0.5/0.75 = 0.67.
This means that number of belts produced per second is 1/.67 = 1.50, or 90 belts per minute, while both calculators claim 3 belts per second or 180 per minute.

What am I doing wrong/not seeing/screwing up basic maths?

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
The recipe makes 2.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

misguided rage posted:

The recipe makes 2.

God.loving.damned.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Solumin posted:

I have the feeling they're going to nerf bots instead.

Enable logistic bot collisions. :getin:

I feel like that's inevitable for balance, honestly. Right now there is no mechanic to prevent logistics bots from simply getting infinitely large throughput. Belts require space; if you want to upgrade your throughput with those after you've unlocked express belts, you need to put more design work into the area, which is good gameplay. Bots you can just keep automatically dumping into the system, and you'll never reach a point where you have to change your design other than putting more roboports somewhere, anywhere in range. Giving bots collision means that a given chest could only output so much resources and you'd have to design around it.

Another option might be to change the way bots carry things fundamentally so that there's a design element to their transport network. Having you designate their routes or something. It wouldn't make bots less unbalanced but at least it would have the strict upgrade system include more actual gameplay.
I'm not sure how you could do that, though. Might be fun to think about.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Restrict the number of bots allowed in given airspace.

Reduce their speed.

Remove them from the game and just have the ones that deliver things to your inventory.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Nah, if bots slowed down in beacon effect fields, that would do it. They're excellent for 90% of designs, and suboptimal for edgecases, and bad for sloppy beacons-anywhere design. Belts are cool everywhere.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Bot collision-detection sounds like it could eat a crazy amount of UPS. I still like the idea of restricting the number of bots that can access a chest at the same time. You'd achieve the same throughput-throttling, and you could even tie in some infinite-research to increase the limit.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Bot power usage could scale in proportion to speed and carried load like real air vehicles do, so as you improve bot capabilities, they start to crowd out your base with more roboports to charge 'em all.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

This is what I ended up with for oil processing at my last base. Please ignore the iron ore belts, they're just passing through. Crude is trained in just offscreen to the South. Does anyone have a tidier layout that they like to use? This one obviously can't be expanded any further and requires twiddling every so often to keep from running out of one or the other oil product.

I was surprised by how much rocket fuel my trains used. The incremental improvement of nuclear fuel doesn't seem worth it since I've struggled to produce enough U-235.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

This is how I almost always build my first refinery. Liquids and solid inputs (coal&iron plates) go up the middle in a straight vertical, refineries and assemblers go off to the right and outputs get trained or bussed off the left. This way to add additional refineries or assemblers I just expand upwards to add new lines or expand existing lines by pushing right.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

LLSix posted:

This is what I ended up with for oil processing at my last base. Please ignore the iron ore belts, they're just passing through. Crude is trained in just offscreen to the South. Does anyone have a tidier layout that they like to use? This one obviously can't be expanded any further and requires twiddling every so often to keep from running out of one or the other oil product.

Less layout, more layout strategy: leave one direction free to expand in, especially for refineries.

(not inlined because they're big)

https://i.bf1c.us/Screen%20Shot%202018-04-15%20at%2011.01.49.png : This is the initial area I started refining and cracking in a previous game. The "red chip sink" station came later.
https://i.bf1c.us/Screen%20Shot%202018-04-15%20at%2011.02.23.png : Note the disabled "red chip sink" station (it's disabled because there's no space to unload a train), and how far south the refineries to the west of it stretch.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
A simple and CPU friendly nerf to bots:

Logistics networks now require 'processing power' generated by 'sever farm' buildings. The costs scale based on the number of bots in the network doing jobs:
0-10 bots 0pp per bot task
11-20 bots 1pp per new bot task
21-30 bots 2pp per new bot task
etc.

If there isn't enough pp in the network to accommodate new tasks they get put in a queue while waiting for current tasks to complete.

This means multiple small bot networks would be more efficient in both resources and power, but you could still build a mega bot base if you really wanted to spend the circuits and power.

For extra fun you could make the server farms get adjacency bonuses like reactors, except they increase production multiplicatively and power consumption exponentially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

LLSix posted:

I was surprised by how much rocket fuel my trains used. The incremental improvement of nuclear fuel doesn't seem worth it since I've struggled to produce enough U-235.

Nuclear fuel is a pretty big upgrade in terms of acceleration (250% vs 180% for rocket fuel) but its also a huge upgrade in how much energy it provides and in turn how long it lasts in a train or boiler. Solid fuel is 25MJ, Rocket fuel is 225MJ, and nuclear fuel is 1.21GJ (1210MJ). But it takes U235 which is awfully rare until you have koverax enrichment going which in turns takes quite a bit of regular uranium processing. But once you have koverax going its a very fast positive feedback loop in generating more U235.