Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

War Eagle posted:

If you've played EQ in the past and understand what it means to play a Cleric, then Halfling is a fine choice.

If you've never really played before, then I'd tell you to go with a druid to start off. Druids heal all the time on P99 in groups, or if theres another healer they cast direct damage spells. They can solo efficiently with Charming animals, and that doesn't really require any special gear, my 39 druid is almost entirely still in newbie leathers.

At 24 you can bind in South Karana and run the bread quest repeatedly to Feerrott. This means that you can group if you want to (and you should it's the best part of EQ in a lot of ways), but if there aren't any groups going, you can still make progress. This can actually get you all the way to 40, but at 38/39 it's 1% per turn in and you'll grow tired of it.

Once you hit 34 you can make very nice money porting people around. Just join Dial A Port and in no time you'll gear out your guy with Wisdom stuff, or save up for a Goblin Ring to help with charming.

Druid is so often a suggestion for new players because it let's you really see what P99 is all about from lots of different angles. If you get to 34, which is pretty easy, and decide that all you really want to do is sit in a group and heal, then roll up the Cleric and you still have the druid hop onto and make some money if need be. If you most enjoy the soloing, then maybe you keep the druid or roll a Necromancer. That sort of thing.

Ehhh, druids can do fine spot healing in groups, but if you really want to heal in groups and aren't interested in solo/farming power, Cleric will 100% of the time always find a group pretty much as quickly as he can put his tag/ooc up. That's not even saying that druids are bad. They serve a particular niche that bards also live in in the "Jack of all Trades Masters of None" swing role that can adjust according to your party's makeup. The problem is that there are plenty of times when druid healing just can't quite cut it, especially post 35 when clerics turn into healing monsters and/or if you're in a group pushing in on stuff that's a couple levels above you and/or you're dealing with undergeared people.

Don't get me wrong, there is 100% valid justifications for leveling druid especially early in your account when you're tossing couch cushions for spell money on your alts. There are places you can solo early that will give you a huge leg up on the cash front (Lfay Nybrights, OOT Gargoyles, Paineel Guards) that you won't be able to do on a cleric (well, maybe Paineel is doable with your undead nukes). But at the same time a Necro or Bard could be used for the same purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Druids rule.

That said, leveling in EQ is slow as poo poo. I can definitely understand the "level a druid or wizard, port for cash, use cash to finance another class" strategy, but that means leveling twice from like 1-30... which is a HUGE HUGE slog.

I wouldn't. If you know you want Cleric, go Cleric.

But if you aren't sure Druids do rule.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Hey Gadock, thanks for the assist in TT. I got jumped by that named, was almost out of mana for fear kiting. Holler here if you ever need something.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

War Eagle posted:

If you've played EQ in the past and understand what it means to play a Cleric, then Halfling is a fine choice.

If you've never really played before, then I'd tell you to go with a druid to start off. Druids heal all the time on P99 in groups, or if theres another healer they cast direct damage spells. They can solo efficiently with Charming animals, and that doesn't really require any special gear, my 39 druid is almost entirely still in newbie leathers.

At 24 you can bind in South Karana and run the bread quest repeatedly to Feerrott. This means that you can group if you want to (and you should it's the best part of EQ in a lot of ways), but if there aren't any groups going, you can still make progress. This can actually get you all the way to 40, but at 38/39 it's 1% per turn in and you'll grow tired of it.

Once you hit 34 you can make very nice money porting people around. Just join Dial A Port and in no time you'll gear out your guy with Wisdom stuff, or save up for a Goblin Ring to help with charming.

Druid is so often a suggestion for new players because it let's you really see what P99 is all about from lots of different angles. If you get to 34, which is pretty easy, and decide that all you really want to do is sit in a group and heal, then roll up the Cleric and you still have the druid hop onto and make some money if need be. If you most enjoy the soloing, then maybe you keep the druid or roll a Necromancer. That sort of thing.

Woah woah. Does this quest really work? I have a Druid that has been stuck on 30 for awhile and would love an easy way to get him up to 34 so I can start porting more or try quadding.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

i leveled a wizard from 24 to 34 solely on that bread quest

running to kelethin

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pratan posted:

Hey Gadock, thanks for the assist in TT. I got jumped by that named, was almost out of mana for fear kiting. Holler here if you ever need something.

Np np dude!

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

Bread quest was nerfed don't bother.

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.

FayGate posted:

Bread quest was nerfed don't bother.

It’s not as insane as it was, but it still works great. Just used it tog finish getting to 39 on a Druid last week.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

War Eagle posted:

It’s not as insane as it was, but it still works great. Just used it tog finish getting to 39 on a Druid last week.

Yea confirmed it works. A complete loop takes 2 minutes at most getting 1% a turn in on a hell level. I can watch shows or movies while doing it too so pretty nice quest.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

there was a point in your 20's where it would give about 4% xp per turnin and then it gets progressively lower at higher levels but as a wizard porting into Gfay and running to Kele for 1% in a hell level is still good xp

at least for slackers like i was

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!
Hey guys, I posted this over on the P1999 forums, but I wanted to crosspost here (if that's alright) to get some Goon opinions as well :)

I really enjoy questing in EQ, even fairly inconsequential quests. I love running all over the world in search of quest components. I'm looking to roll a new character and am wondering what class(es) have the most quests, specifically class-specific quests.

It seems like Monks get a lot of quests and I know from Live experience that Paladins do too. Any other classes you'd add to this list?

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Rand Ecliptic posted:

Hey guys, I posted this over on the P1999 forums, but I wanted to crosspost here (if that's alright) to get some Goon opinions as well :)

I really enjoy questing in EQ, even fairly inconsequential quests. I love running all over the world in search of quest components. I'm looking to roll a new character and am wondering what class(es) have the most quests, specifically class-specific quests.

It seems like Monks get a lot of quests and I know from Live experience that Paladins do too. Any other classes you'd add to this list?

Human cleric of Innoruuk should scratch that itch and take you about a year to finish.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Enchanters have pretty easy access to non-class quests thanks to their illusions.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
At this stage of the server's life, you could theoretically just play any underdog class and ask bored vets to throw some custom quests your way to make life interesting.

That's how I outfitted my dark elf wizard in a Soiled Evoker's Robe and, on a separate casual binge, geared a gnome cleric in a nearly full set of Clockwork Watchmen armor.

Play what you want, let the players you want to hang around guide your actions in-game.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
All the Iksars have class specific newbie quests for a weapon or armor piece that continually upgrades as you level and becomes really quite good high level gear at high level. I think the Shadowknight sword was particularly good (although I don't know if you could actually upgrade it to Greenmist until Luclin or not). Iksars will have to do some serious faction work to do quests outside of Cabalis, though faction grinding is kind of like questing when you think about it :v:. Overall I think the Iksar newbie gardens do the best job of giving you targeted goals outside of "bash rats buy spells"

Aside from that, High level Tunare worshippers get unique class specific endgame quests if you wander over to Plane of Growth. Most clerics and shaman have lowish level quests for dieity specific necklaces with clicky effects (with evil erudite clerics in Paineel specifically having a small battery of class specific quests outside of even that) . Everyone has a battery of class specific quests at the Temple of Solusek Ro. Human monks have the belt quests that upgrade like the Iksar ones. If you are an agnostic enchanter, you can illusion yourself and do quests for other races you wouldn't normally be able to do.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Greenmist goes in with Chardok 2.0 but is IKS only until Luclin. Awesome quest though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I haven't done them since live days but I remember the Ro quests being a grand adventure with a decent reward

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

I haven't done them since live days but I remember the Ro quests being a grand adventure with a decent reward

Temple of Solusek Ro quests are great and part of the first real content patch to classic EQ. The rewards may not be commensurate with the plat investment (lots of them require gems) at current market values but they're still excellent quests.

That said, I would echo IKS monk or SK for the shackle and greenmist questlines. Both are rewarding, especially if you aren't planning on doing much twinking, and both will eventually be pretty competitive items for all but the biggest sock-havers.

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Temple of Solusek Ro quests are great and part of the first real content patch to classic EQ. The rewards may not be commensurate with the plat investment (lots of them require gems) at current market values but they're still excellent quests.

That said, I would echo IKS monk or SK for the shackle and greenmist questlines. Both are rewarding, especially if you aren't planning on doing much twinking, and both will eventually be pretty competitive items for all but the biggest sock-havers.

I'm actually pretty strongly leaning toward Iksar as it does seem like there's a lot of questing potential there. You mention Monk and SK... do Shamans not get any interesting Iksar quests? I'm very interested in the Monk but preference is probably Shaman.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rand Ecliptic posted:

I'm actually pretty strongly leaning toward Iksar as it does seem like there's a lot of questing potential there. You mention Monk and SK... do Shamans not get any interesting Iksar quests? I'm very interested in the Monk but preference is probably Shaman.

He called out greenmist and shackle in particular as two items that are absurdly good and will basically last you the entire game, they're unique to sk and monk respectively. Monk also has some really crazy quests.

I've never played shaman on any race except like 5 levels of barb once I think so I don't know but I imagine they have some quests?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Rand Ecliptic posted:

Shamans get a thing but I don't remember it being good like the shackle or greenmist. Cabillid also has a bunch of non-class specific quests for curscale and improvef curscale or whatever. It's got a really good quest progression that almost seems like some wow/modern mmo poo poo.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Is the cudgel quest line active?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Only the first 5 are active and the reward isn't that great, but they can still be fun to do.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Shaman_Skull_Quests

borf
Apr 5, 2006
So a couple years ago I was playing a monk on here. I was in my 30's and had saved up enough for some haste gloves, got excited and cocky and went loving around in Lguk. Of course I died. Then I had to go away for a couple weeks and never logged in to get my corpse in time. Haven't played since because I was so pissed at myself. Now after checking out Project Gorgon it just makes me want to EQ again... I think my monk still has a little money left, probably under 300p.

I could probably rebuild the monk on that since he doesn't really require a ton of gear, but I'm thinking of starting a bard instead because I never tried one back in the day. What's a good shopping list for doing some cheap twinking to get a bard going?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Log on your monk, type "/petition sorry, I lost my corpse a while back and never got it, could you please help?" and you should get it back within minutes of a staff member being online.

If you're unlucky it might take a day or two to catch someone at a good time.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Plan B, log your Monk and catch a ride with me to Kunark in 24 hours.

We'll pick up some Crescent armor from Crypt of Dalnir in 30 minutes and I'll set you up until your items are returned by staff when your petition is responded to.

borf
Apr 5, 2006
Wow, they can/will do that even after like 2 years of losing it?
I also like your plan Mr. Armadillo! I'm reinstalling today and I should be online Sunday afternoon/evening. What's your character name?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

borf posted:

Wow, they can/will do that even after like 2 years of losing it?
I also like your plan Mr. Armadillo! I'm reinstalling today and I should be online Sunday afternoon/evening. What's your character name?

Yep, it's one of the easiest things for staff to do, and probably the best "unclassic" feature of the server.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

borf posted:

So a couple years ago I was playing a monk on here. I was in my 30's and had saved up enough for some haste gloves, got excited and cocky and went loving around in Lguk. Of course I died. Then I had to go away for a couple weeks and never logged in to get my corpse in time. Haven't played since because I was so pissed at myself. Now after checking out Project Gorgon it just makes me want to EQ again... I think my monk still has a little money left, probably under 300p.

I could probably rebuild the monk on that since he doesn't really require a ton of gear, but I'm thinking of starting a bard instead because I never tried one back in the day. What's a good shopping list for doing some cheap twinking to get a bard going?

Lambent

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

At what level can I start trying to get small bronze armor? I know it drops at Mistmoore and Unrest, but what level are the mobs that drop it?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Ehud posted:

At what level can I start trying to get small bronze armor? I know it drops at Mistmoore and Unrest, but what level are the mobs that drop it?

Mid 20s. For mistmoore it's the graveyard, for unrest it's upstairs in the fireplace room.

borf posted:

Saint's claw, Saint's dagger, and whatever the bard only spear is. Bard only weapons are decent almost-0.5 ratio weapons and cheap. Grab mistmoore drums and the lute of the gypsy princess.

Do lambent quests if you want, but lambent armor is not the greatest and is really expensive because of the gem requirement.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Sionachie's Partisan is the spear and a better ratio than the Sainy's stuff.

Bard melee never gets good, I'd buy one decent weapon and some decent instruments, maybe grab some banded or bronze, some cheap jewelry and save the rest for songs.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

suuma posted:

Sionachie's Partisan is the spear and a better ratio than the Sainy's stuff.

Bard melee never gets good, I'd buy one decent weapon and some decent instruments, maybe grab some banded or bronze, some cheap jewelry and save the rest for songs.

That's the one. I'd go for banded over farming bronze or ring mail. It's decently light and your strength is gonna suck. Also, that's the one upshot of lambent, it's really light for plate.

borf
Apr 5, 2006
Thanks for the bard advice guys, but my monk has risen from the dead. Really made my day, never thought they could pull decayed corpses from years ago. Also, I'm still in Unknown Guild! What a time to be alive.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Saw this recommended in other places, may help you out. https://wiki.project1999.com/Ravager%27s_1k_Twink_Guide#Monk

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I kind of want to visit some of the weirdest/most obscure dungeons in the game.

Is there anything weirder than that Kerra Isle place on Erud?

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Have you been to the Warrens?

The dungeon is a cave system full of kobold royalty, giant bats and a froglok tadpole that you MUST see before level 20.

As a bonus, 95% in the zone gives +Erudin/+Heretic (Paineel) faction.

Pillow Armadillo fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 16, 2018

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Have you been to the Warrens?

The dungeon is a cave system full of kobold royalty, giant bats and a froglok tadpole that you MUST see before level 20.

As a bonus, 95% in the zone gives +Erudin/+Heretic (Paineel) faction.

I love the Warrens. I’m probably gonna start an Erudite SK just to play through it.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Ehud posted:

I kind of want to visit some of the weirdest/most obscure dungeons in the game.

Is there anything weirder than that Kerra Isle place on Erud?

I feel like Split Paw never got its due. There's a weird ceremony you can observe as the one gnoll clan executioner kills the former leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

A Strange Aeon posted:

I feel like Split Paw never got its due. There's a weird ceremony you can observe as the one gnoll clan executioner kills the former leader.

That’s a good call. I’ve never been past the first area. I think it’s just because no one wants to do corpse runs out there :chloe: