Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Oh man that is disgusting. Looks like someone merged a tele and a LP in photoshop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
It's 70s as hell but I'm becoming weirdly fond of gross 70s Les Pauls. Just needs black inlay and nickel hardware instead of gold.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Anime Reference posted:

I was convinced that maple fretboards on Les Pauls were inherently stupid music poo poo but I might have actually been wrong? This look almost works for me.

They really should have replaced the inlays with black ones, though.

All it needs is black inlays and I love it

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I'm throwing out a price guess here: $5,600 US

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I forgot to check the price but there's some similar ones on reverb going for $3500-4000, which is probably about as cheap as a vintage Les Paul gets.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I love Zappa, but his famous Les Paul is a hideous finish/hardware combination:

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
My 70's Japanese copy is the same combo, and to be honest I like it, but it would probably look better with white pickup rings, poker chip, and pickguard

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Juaguocio posted:

you wait until he starts playing it thru a parked wah and a solid state amp into a stack of plastic horns

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar- now that's my idea of a good time."

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

too bad he spent 75% of his recording career trying to prove he was too good for the guitar noise he supposedly loved and the other 25% being misanthropic under the banner of being "smarter than you"

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Juaguocio posted:

Clownburst was truly the worst Gibson era apart from all the others. I'm a sucker for the seventies era Artisan mahogany/gold aesthetic though and I'm glad Lee Malia has resurrected it for his signatures.

Also a pic of my new SG just because. First time I've used 50s wiring and really enjoying the interactivity - these pickups are real gems for clean sounds but I fancy something like a filtertron in the bridge to get my Akka on. The search never stops etc.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
A guitar organ? Yours for 4,300 AUD

https://foundsound.com.au/collections/electric-guitars/products/7760

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I knew about the Vox guitorgan but I'd never heard of a Godwin. Hard to believe more than one company thought that was an idea worth pursuing.
I wonder how much that thing weighs.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Reference posted:

I was convinced that maple fretboards on Les Pauls were inherently stupid music poo poo but I might have actually been wrong? This look almost works for me.

They really should have replaced the inlays with black ones, though.
I would play that live.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Is the finish on this thing stupid poo poo or awesome poo poo? You be the judge.

My brain instantly dubbed it the Baltimore Special.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
It's old as hell and German so I wonder what kinds of tunes were played with it.

EDIT: It looks like something The Baseballs would have on stage.

Rugoberta Munchu fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 15, 2018

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Anime Reference posted:

Is the finish on this thing stupid poo poo or awesome poo poo? You be the judge.

My brain instantly dubbed it the Baltimore Special.

Inspired by Windows 3.1

Anyways I hate it.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

darkwasthenight posted:

Also a pic of my new SG just because. First time I've used 50s wiring and really enjoying the interactivity - these pickups are real gems for clean sounds but I fancy something like a filtertron in the bridge to get my Akka on. The search never stops etc.

That's a pretty sweet guitar.

Does that kind of wraparound bridge use thicker posts, or are they just regular tune-o-matic size?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

that's terrible, but I want one

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Pondex posted:

That's a pretty sweet guitar.

Does that kind of wraparound bridge use thicker posts, or are they just regular tune-o-matic size?

Different spacing to ToM, and the post size varies. They're the same spacing as the stoptail part of a ToM I believe - IIRC they were originally a cheap way to use up spare parts on Melody Makers and then became their own thing.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

darkwasthenight posted:

Different spacing to ToM, and the post size varies. They're the same spacing as the stoptail part of a ToM I believe - IIRC they were originally a cheap way to use up spare parts on Melody Makers and then became their own thing.

poo poo. That's the opposite of what I had hoped. :-/ I have a project-guitar with a missing tailpiece and weird spacing between the holes. I might have to try and fabricate a new tailpiece.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

darkwasthenight posted:

Wraparounds predate the Melody Maker, I think they first started showing up on '53-'54 Les Pauls.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Yeah, the wraparound was the bridge that came after the weird tailpiece/bridge combo on the first production run of Les Pauls. They were introduced in '53 and standard on all gibson products until the invention of the TOM a couple years later. They were used on the more budget-friendly models and on most guitars with vibrolas after that.

There's something about wraparounds on carved tops that I just love. This might be it's own stupid music poo poo, but my dream guitar is a natural finish Les Paul Deluxe with a wraparound.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Anime Reference posted:

Wraparounds predate the Melody Maker, I think they first started showing up on '53-'54 Les Pauls.

I knew about the wraparound trapezes on the early goldtops (plus the even rarer and almost totally useless 'wrapunder' trapeze) but didn't realise the stoptail versions were in use that early on.

Edit:

Pondex posted:

poo poo. That's the opposite of what I had hoped. :-/ I have a project-guitar with a missing tailpiece and weird spacing between the holes. I might have to try and fabricate a new tailpiece.

What guitar is it and what are the measurements? Most parts are pretty standard these days so can't be anything too wacky...

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Chip McFuck posted:

This might be it's own stupid music poo poo, but my dream guitar is a natural finish Les Paul Deluxe with a wraparound.

Sounds like a look to me. Personally I'd prefer it on a slab body -- speaking of, I wonder if anybody makes a Les Paul Special that doesn't cost $2,000? (No, the $100 Epiphones don't count -- those aren't really proper Specials.)

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Anime Reference posted:

I knew about the Vox guitorgan but I'd never heard of a Godwin. Hard to believe more than one company thought that was an idea worth pursuing.
I wonder how much that thing weighs.
I hope it weighs so much that it can only be used by putting on a stand and playing it like a pedal steel.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

darkwasthenight posted:

I knew about the wraparound trapezes on the early goldtops (plus the even rarer and almost totally useless 'wrapunder' trapeze) but didn't realise the stoptail versions were in use that early on.

Edit:

What guitar is it and what are the measurements? Most parts are pretty standard these days so can't be anything too wacky...

It's an old old japanese SG-copy. It has a bigsby mounted on top of the old tailpiece-posts so it's a bit hard to measure. But they're definitely closer together than a regular TOM tailpiece. About the same distance apart as the bridge-posts.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The problem I have with "stupid music poo poo" is that I love almost all of it. What have I become?

Take, for example, this thing that I love and want:

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Pondex posted:

It's an old old japanese SG-copy. It has a bigsby mounted on top of the old tailpiece-posts so it's a bit hard to measure. But they're definitely closer together than a regular TOM tailpiece. About the same distance apart as the bridge-posts.

I'd guess metric vs imperial or if the bridge posts are spaced differently as well then it could be due to the bridge radius. A quick google shows TOM and bigsby style post spacing anywhere from 72mm to 95.7mm depending on manufacturer and model.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

"art"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

http://mayones.com/guitars/

lol Mayonnaise guitars with looks to match. Also, they are expensive as gently caress. Like Gibson expensive.

(Yes, I am aware at least one of you will tell me I'm wrong and that is when I will insist it is YOU who are the wrong one.)

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I had a mayonnaise guitar for a minute. Can’t say I was too impressed.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I kinda like the looks of the Regius but not for $3000

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

lol Mayonnaise guitars with looks to match. Also, they are expensive as gently caress. Like Gibson expensive.

(Yes, I am aware at least one of you will tell me I'm wrong and that is when I will insist it is YOU who are the wrong one.)

I like the body and headstock shapes. They probably balance really well.

The finishes are awful though. Figured maple has always looked really tacky to me, especially with those goofy-rear end bluebursts.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

kinda surprised they're still around

i thought everyone abandoned them for strandberg sometime around 2010

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I wasn't going to judge them too harshly until i saw that they have a model called the 'Djentlemen'. It's like the fedora of guitar names.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Chip McFuck posted:

I wasn't going to judge them too harshly until i saw that they have a model called the 'Djentlemen'. It's like the fedora of guitar names.

In my favorite bar's monthly rock/metal quiz, one of the regular teams is called "Meshuggahbabes & Djentlemen". We also have "Team Britney", complete with pink t-shirts, pink tablecloth, pink pens and pink drinks, so make your own judgements as to the seriousness of the whole thing.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Mayones guitars are sick and I want one but the prices are too much to me to ever really consider

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Their bass guitars are amazing but they cost decent used car money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea, that's the thing: the craftsmanship looks incredible but in service of some of the most garish finishes I've ever seen.