Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Blaze Dragon posted:

It does, it's something like "hanbun yarou" so it isn't as terribly long. It's definitely not something you can just translate and call it a day, since it'd sound very awkward in English.
Icy Hot is clever enough even if it doesn't match the original meaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Expect My Mom posted:

Thanks, I couldn't find the original Japanese. Half and Half Bastard isn't bad all things considering Yarou is kind of a weird word, and no legit translators would have gone with "mixed" or anything like that for hanbun. My problem lies with how Bakugo uses it where otherwise I enjoy his charater

I hate Bakugo, and nothing that's coming up is going to redeem his character.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Icy Hot kind of only works because it's a Product we know, and you can't really use that outside of fan translations

e: look if we hold people's feet to the fire for the things they said in eighth grade at thirteen years old, then what are we doing. Not that it's right at all, but I was told I should just go kill myself in middle school, so seeing Bakugo say that was honestly just a moment of "Yeah kids that age are loving terrible, I feel ya Deku". Which is what makes Bakugo spitting Todoroki's life back at him seem more harsh. Like that's not a kid being a bully, that's you continuing to use language after eavesdropping on him talking about it.

Not that this matters since he hasn't said it this season iirc, just a weird moment in Season 2

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 15, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Expect My Mom posted:

Icy Hot kind of only works because it's a Product we know, and you can't really use that outside of fan translations

Well yeah that’s why they use it, giving us a term we know. That’s all it’s supposed to do.

That’s how you localize something.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it works significantly less well if you don't know it, though

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Not really unless you don’t know what his powers are.

I mean icy hot is a rather blunt name.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Expect My Mom posted:

Thanks, I couldn't find the original Japanese. Half and Half Bastard isn't bad all things considering Yarou is kind of a weird word, and no legit translators would have gone with "mixed" or anything like that for hanbun. My problem lies with how Bakugo uses it where otherwise I enjoy his charater

Thinking about it after looking up meanings, I think "halfass" would have been a good alternative.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think one of the FA scanlators took a crack at explaining it at one point, and "Half-rear end" is basically what the intent is because Bakugou is still pissed at Todoroki giving up during their fight at the sports festival.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

It fits because Todo hasn't even discovered his true power yet: steam engine

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?

Fabricated posted:

I think one of the FA scanlators took a crack at explaining it at one point, and "Half-rear end" is basically what the intent is because Bakugou is still pissed at Todoroki giving up during their fight at the sports festival.

I remember him calling him that before that fight even happened.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Nessus posted:

Too much weed.

This is legit funny.

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's a lot more obvious in the manga, the anime for some reason gave every girl the same fragile slim body. I guess fanservice or whatever, but it's pretty bad when Horikoshi was always very good at giving the girls realistic proportions for their job.

The obligatory twitter post comparing Momo's swimsuit picture from the manga to the anime needs to be posted.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Just started watching this last night. Holy cow this is a legit good anime, being funny and clever and the fight scenes are so good and comic book artists and western animators should take notes of every single millisecond of the Nomu/All-Might fight

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

It’s a pretty steady climb in quality, especially with regard to the story

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
My one complaint of the season finale is we didn't get to see pink acid girl, weird blockhead guy who hung out with the bird, invisible girl, and navel laser guy actually do things
And while Orocha did do some stuff, she probably could’ve been shown doing more

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Everyone, including Mina (the pink girl, aka: besto garl, oh yeah), get spots as the series go on. Some more than others, made worse by the fact that there are so many characters.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Not really unless you don’t know what his powers are.

I mean icy hot is a rather blunt name.
Even if you don't know about Icy Hot the muscle balm, you know, he does ice, he does fire, it just comes off as Bakugo being an rear end in a top hat without being, like, a TERMINAL rear end in a top hat.

Out of curiosity since I have seen angst over Bakugo's middle school remark, was that idiomatically less severe in Japanese? I feel that this was a clear demonstration of Bakugo being a shithead but he has been on a clear anti-shithead arc since then, even if he has a long way to go.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Everyone, including Mina (the pink girl, aka: besto garl, oh yeah), get spots as the series go on. Some more than others, made worse by the fact that there are so many characters.

I can't remember a single time Sato got to do anything by himself. Like, I genuinely feel his best moment was on this very anime episode where he at least got to punch something, which is far more than he does on average, and it wasn't something that appeared in the manga.

I still have no idea what Horikoshi was thinking with Sato. The bug guy does very little but at least he stands out from the rest of the cast, Sato has a worse version of the protagonist's quirk and his best defining feature is being a Kinnikuman shout-out.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

punk rebel ecks posted:

The obligatory twitter post comparing Momo's swimsuit picture from the manga to the anime needs to be posted.
Okay, I am terrible at looking for things so I couldn't find the post in either MHA thread. So I made my own.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I can't remember a single time Sato got to do anything by himself. Like, I genuinely feel his best moment was on this very anime episode where he at least got to punch something, which is far more than he does on average, and it wasn't something that appeared in the manga.

I still have no idea what Horikoshi was thinking with Sato. The bug guy does very little but at least he stands out from the rest of the cast, Sato has a worse version of the protagonist's quirk and his best defining feature is being a Kinnikuman shout-out.

I think he's done some stuff since what was covered in season 1 of the anime - but my memory of these things is questionable at best.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Okay, I am terrible at looking for things so I couldn't find the post in either MHA thread. So I made my own.

I think he's done some stuff since what was covered in season 1 of the anime - but my memory of these things is questionable at best.

In season one he takes down at least one villain by swinging him around after tape elbows taped him

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
e: wow i cant read

Sero is still my favorite of the C Tier cast

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Do they dim the screen during action scenes

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's something a lot of anime has done in effect-heavy scenes ever since the Pokemon seizure incident. Blu-rays usually don't have the dimmed screens.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Do they dim the screen during action scenes

Yes.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So the artist is a big avatar tla fan huh

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Wouldn't be surprised. He's mentioned a lot of western comic stuff in interviews. Big fan of Mike Mignola's art.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Calaveron posted:

who the gently caress aint

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Is Avatar: The Last Airbender worth getting into?

It being affiliated with Nickelodeon scares me, and it reminds me too much of Naruto and I hate Naruto (maybe I should give that another chance?).

EDIT - It also seems a bit too "kiddy" from what I've seen of this. Yes, I realize how stupid this sounds saying that in this thread and with my avatar.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 16, 2018

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Calaveron posted:

what makes you say that?

punk rebel ecks posted:

It being affiliated with Nickelodeon scares me, and it reminds me too much of Naruto and I hate Naruto (maybe I should give that another chance?).

I liked it a lot. It takes a little while to hit it's stride, but I think it's worth it. I haven't watched it since it was originally on the air so I don't know how well it's aged. It's definitely children's entertainment, but it's really good children's entertainment. (i suppose you could call it 'all-ages' if you want to feel better about it ;))

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 16, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Eela6 posted:

what makes you say that?

Literally Zuko being in it, except in reverse

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Calaveron posted:

Literally Zuko being in it, except in reverse

:doh:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

EDIT - It also seems a bit too "kiddy" from what I've seen of this. Yes, I realize how stupid this sounds saying that in this thread and with my avatar.

I'd say so, but it's worth warning you going in that it takes a while to get to full speed. The first couple episodes feel aimed younger than the series as a whole, and some of the best characters don't show up until the second season.

If you stick with it, you get some good character arcs (mainly for Zuko, but other characters too) and somewhat darker subject matter than most kids cartoons (genocide, the consequences of war, child abuse, that kinda thing.) It's at least worth a look.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

Avatar is great! The first season has some rough spots, especially if you don't like stuff that's overly "kiddy", but even then most of the first season is good and the quality only goes up from there.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
echoing everyone that Avatar is incredibly good, but the first season is just mostly filled with episodes with Morals of the Week and a lot of jokes aimed at kids, but the amazing stuff still shines through and it literally only gets better. There's still enough early episodes dealing with the burden of responsibility, abuse, loss etc to keep an adult into it if you keep an open mind

It's an incredibly well realized world for being a family - early teen show and I've watched again more recently than you might think. I honestly feel fortunate to have seen it as a kid, it was really cool to see then and still is imo. A cool intro to Eastern culture, philosophy and spirituality for being filtered through a Western lens when you're twelve

Todoroki is extremely Zuko but Zuko is the best character in that show so it's good i think

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 16, 2018

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'd say it's generally good but it has some rough spots (including one of the key plot points of the finale. The main character got handed a never-previously-hinted-at powerup to get him out of a moral dilemma that felt dishonest to begin with.)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

if you can put up with shonen you can put up with avatar

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
ATLA has a weak and very low budget first season and picks up rapidly from there.

Korra has high budget throughout and is very pretty all around with its early 20th century China aesthetic but the first two seasons are bad and compensated by the last two seasons being amazing.

Both blow the majority of shounen anime out of the water.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Silver2195 posted:

I'd say it's generally good but it has some rough spots (including one of the key plot points of the finale. The main character got handed a never-previously-hinted-at powerup to get him out of a moral dilemma that felt dishonest to begin with.)

I'm told the writers were basically forced into that particular decision, against their wishes, because it was still on Nickelodeon.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

MHA on the persona engine

I figured someone would do art to this effect. I guess Hermit isn't an inappropriate Arcana for All Might.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Avatar is really good and Korra is even better.

Nessus posted:

Out of curiosity since I have seen angst over Bakugo's middle school remark, was that idiomatically less severe in Japanese? I feel that this was a clear demonstration of Bakugo being a shithead but he has been on a clear anti-shithead arc since then, even if he has a long way to go.

I'm pretty sure the author said he regrets having Bakugou tell Deku to kill himself because it colors his character in a way that he didn't intend. Bakugou is supposed to be cocky, rude, and mildly antagonistic, but not evil as that line would indicate. You can toss some of it away as middle schoolers being pricks, but it definitely gives you a much worse view of Bakugou starting out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Melon Lord was the best character and his prophet, Cabbage Cart Guy, is an absolute treat

...it's eerie how not out of place in MHA that sentence stands...

But yeah, watch it during the week between MHA episodes if you've got time