Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Summer is here, and the heroes of Class 1-A and 1-B are in for the toughest training camp of their lives! A group of seasoned pros pushes everyone’s Quirks to new heights as the students face one overwhelming challenge after another. Braving the elements in this secret location becomes the least of their worries when routine training turns into a critical struggle for survival.

My Hero Academia is back, baby! This is the good poo poo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JezE6iZUWxo

Like last time, Funimation is providing us with a SAME DAY DUB for the first six episodes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6GgipSoodA

Characters

Izuku "Deku" Midoriya (Daiki Yamashita, Justin Briner)
Quirk: One For All
Deku here used to have no powers at all. Zilch, nada. But thanks to a chance encounter with All Might, he's gained the power he needs to start on the road to becoming a hero. Under the tutelage of All Might's mentor, Deku is slowly but surely learning how to moderate the power within him.

Toshinori "All Might" Yagi (Kenta Miyake, Chris Sabat)
Quirk: One For All
The top hero in the world with amazing strength and Izuku's biggest role model. He and Izuku meet when All Might saves him from an attacking villain. After an encounter with a villain, his powers have been steadily weakening. Moved by Izuku's heroism, he has decided to pass on the ability One For All onto him. His powers are weakening more and more lately.

Katsuki "Lord Explosion Murder" Bakugo (Nobuhiko Okamoto, Clifford Chapin)
Quirk: Explosion
Izuku's classmate and bully, and the front-runner in his class to be accepted into U.A. He was gifted with a pretty powerful quirk, which has given him an inflated ego. He's trying to come to terms with the formerly pathetic Deku becoming an actual peer, and like most things in his life, channels that through rage. However, he may be coming to realize that anger doesn't solve everything.

Ochaco "Uravity" Uraraka (Ayane Sakura, Luci Christian)
Quirk: Zero Gravity
Izuku's best friend, a kind young girl who can control gravity. She may or may not have a bit of a crush on Deku. She got her butt kicked at the Sports Festival, but she has a new lease on life!

Tenya "Ingenium" Iida (Kaito Ishikawa, J. Michael Tatum)
Quirk: Engine
Deku's other friend. A hot-blooded young man who is strict about the rules. He's the representative of U.A.'s class 1-A. His brother was crippled by the villain Stain, and now he's taken on his hero name as tribute.

Shoto "Shoto" Todoroki (Yūki Kaji, David Matranga)
Quirk: Half-Hot Half-Cold
A classmate of Deku's, who probably has the most powerful quirk in the class. He's a real...cool guy! His father, Endeavor, is the second rated hero and a massive rear end in a top hat.

Tsuyu "Froppy" Asui (Aoi Yūki, Monica Rial)
Quirk: Frog Form
Call her Tsuyu, please. Can do whatever a frog can. I put her here over the rest of the class because she's low-key the best character and I love her.

Tomura Shigaraki (Kōki Uchiyama, Eric Vale)
Quirk: Disintegration
The mysterious leader of the League of Villains who has dedicated himself to killing All Might. The fame of the Hero Killer Stain has caused a lot of would-be villains to come to his door.

All For One (???)
A villain from long ago who has the ability to steal and stockpile quirks.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Waffleman_ posted:

Shoto "Shoto" Todoroki

Y-you can't do this! Mods?!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
todoroki best boy

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Deku's Shoe is about to be MVP of this season

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

So, this is the manga thread, right? WHAT DID YOU THINK ABOUT

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I am very hype for this.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm so glad that deku's mask lasted for all of 5 minutes and has never returned

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Literally nobody liked that mask

I am so glad it vanished forever

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The gas mask thing around his neck is cool, though.

Edit: Can we change the thing in Tsuyu's blurb to "call her Tsu"? That's what the dub does and doesn't requite explanations about :japan: politeness levels and family names :japan:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 20, 2018

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I think Tsuyu is fine, isn't it? It's not like it says Tsuyu-chan, she's just asking them to use her first name instead of her last. Everyone calls Bakugou Bakugou and Midoriya Midoriya, so one would expect them to call her Asui and she asks them to use Tsuyu instead, no TL notes required.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Iida's brother isn't dead, just crippled.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Which, in animeland, usually means 'demoted to Macguffin". I'm not sure which is worse.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PMush Perfect posted:

Which, in animeland, usually means 'demoted to Macguffin". I'm not sure which is worse.

In this case it means he gets to be an important supporting character in the cool and good spinoff so hey, it's not all that bad!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Expect My Mom posted:

todoroki best boy

Starting off the new thread very well.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Tenya "Ingenium" Iida (Kaito Ishikawa, J. Michael Tatum)
Quirk: Engine
Deku's other friend. A hot-blooded young man who is strict about the rules. He's the representative of U.A.'s class 1-A. His brother was killed by the villain Stain, and now he's taken on his hero name as tribute.

I thought he was just crippled.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
oh boy oh boy oh boy

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I am looking forward to watching over-the-top super-strength superhero punches this season.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

oh jay posted:

I thought he was just crippled.

He was.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I thought Iida's brother was just crippled?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

PMush Perfect posted:

I thought Iida's brother was just crippled?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

as soon as i saw iida's brother my first thought was "when is iida going to get those arms in some kind of crazy transplant"

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

symbolic posted:

Starting off the new thread very well.
he won an award for it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

My mistake on Iida's brother.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Unbelievable! The Fate of Iida"s Brother, Disabled or Dead? The Torch of Ingenium Lights Anew!

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

gmq posted:

So, this is the manga thread, right? WHAT DID YOU THINK ABOUT

Its okay now

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Expect My Mom posted:

he won an award for it

The CR Awards? I didn't pay much attention to those, but that's rad if he did.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ah yes, the crunchyroll aw*farts*

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Namtab posted:

Ah yes, the crunchyroll aw*farts*

I'm very much new to watching anime. What's wrong with CR?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

CR is fine, awards shows just inevitably end up dumb.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

symbolic posted:

I'm very much new to watching anime. What's wrong with CR?

People are mad that the Crunchyroll awards overwhelmingly favored widely popular shows over ADRTW's favorites. Specifically, My Hero Academia won 7/17 awards, which is a bit much.

Also, they were wrong about Best Boy. It's Kirishima.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Eela6 posted:

People are mad that the Crunchyroll awards overwhelmingly favored widely popular shows over ADRTW's favorites. Specifically, My Hero Academia won 7/17 awards, which is a bit much.

Also, they were wrong about Best Boy. It's Kirishima.

Clear problem was Reigen not winning best boy the year mob Psycho came out.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
The awards were all fan voted right? Hard to blame Crunchyroll for the most popular show getting the most votes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I mean, it's literally a popularity contest. There's no Academy of Anime Arts and Sciences.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Eela6 posted:

As someone on another site pointed out, this isn't even purely a function of popularity; a lot of it is due to MHA fitting into many of the categories more neatly than other shows do. This is especially obvious with "Best Hero" and "Best Villain"; it's debatable whether a lot of the non-MHA nominees are really "heroes" or "villains" to begin with. Maybe next time there should be categories that give more focus to different kinds of characters and plots.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
He won an award for it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

My main problem with the crunchyroll awards is that on the whole the options were for things that crunchyroll holds the streaming rights to.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, I mean, it's literally a popularity contest. There's no Academy of Anime Arts and Sciences.

quote:

In February 2011 [The Tatami Galaxy] won the 2010 Japan Media Arts Festival Grand Prize in the Animation Division, the first television program to do so, with the jury describing it in their justification as a "richly expressive work that turns the limitations of TV on its head" and complimenting its "unique scene layouts, characters' actions and color scheme."

step it up, MHA!!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Namtab posted:

My main problem with the crunchyroll awards is that on the whole the options were for things that crunchyroll holds the streaming rights to.

Not for this year's, at least; it felt like there were about as many non-Crunchyroll shows nominated than Crunchyroll shows. Although most of the actual winners were Crunchyroll shows, perhaps because too few people actually saw the Anime Strike shows.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Namtab posted:

Yeah like Land of the Lustrous and Girl's Last Tour and anime of the year Made in Abyss

e: i mean the awards are kinda dumb but that's just not true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Rhonne posted:

The awards were all fan voted right? Hard to blame Crunchyroll for the most popular show getting the most votes.

No, they were weighed against judges.

According to CR it was:

quote:

the winners of each category were determined by both our independant team of judges and the public, with equal weight given to both groups of votes.

They also released how the judges voted seperately after the main awards:
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2018/03/06-1/revealing-the-anime-awards-judges-picks

Notably in most cases the overall winner was second place or first place on the judge's poll, so presumably some pretty close votes in general :shrug: