Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
So with s&s should I be bashin or slashin? How worth it are the jumping attacks compared to just whacking away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
slash some and bash some

always be jumping

idk if that's actually good advice but I basically get in close when the monster isn't flailing around and mash a bunch of buttons until I can do the charged jump thing, and when it's moving too much for that I dash around and try to jump on it via the environment and pelt it with my slinger. I like keeping plunderblade on my cat so I have a lot of special ammo to fling at it.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I think I have been playing GS wrong for the longest time, I used to do the classic hit and run and wait to unload when the monster was stunned or exhausted. Let me tell you about the joys of the GS tackle, not only does it let you face tank just about everything it counts as a charge level. I love to roll with my sword out, tackle straight into a level 2 and 3 charge and repeat as necessary, you can be aggressive as hell this way, even in the middle of a charge attack you can bail out safely with a tackle.

I have been able to unload 2.5k-3k worth of damage within 30 seconds doing this with a few decent crits. True you are going to get smacked around now and then from a monster but that is what max hp and last second guards are for. I went from the most defensive weapon the lance to the artillery of monster hunter and I don't think I am going back any time soon.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

In a game with superbly precise controls the fact that a Triangle + Circle input with your weapon sheathed is treated as a Circle input if there's anything to pickup nearby is maddening. I've grown to hate this more than the whiplash camera (or Zorah).

Why yes, I would much rather pick up and sniff Nerg's pawprint instead of doing a lunging attack opener with the CB as I had requested.

Some of the prioritisation in this game is very wonky. Another consistent annoyance is the snap-to lockons and their priorities in the map screen. No, I really don't want to lock onto a teammate but the monster below them. Would've been much better to not do any snap-tos of the cursor, just select what's below the cursor. This is like the camera whiplash effect: in such a precise control game, why take control away from the player for this trivial stuff?

Likewise the prioritisation of material pickup vs pod drops being dependent on whether the monster is alive or dead. Basing it on proximity would be more intuitive.

Then again this stuff wasn't that irritating for the first 199 hours, so that's not bad. The T+O override to O has been lovely since the first time it happened, but I don't know how many weapons other than CB have an opening attack from sheathed with that key combo so maybe they just overlooked it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
How do I make it so my ammo auto replenishes when I head to base? I'm a big dumbo who forgets the power coating always.
Also can I get more power coatings in my bag? I have a whole row of empty space. :(

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Bogart posted:

How do I make it so my ammo auto replenishes when I head to base? I'm a big dumbo who forgets the power coating always.
Also can I get more power coatings in my bag? I have a whole row of empty space. :(

Hit the Options button when on the Item selection screen at the chest. You can create and save item loadouts. Also saves your item selection wheel and bar.

You can and should also do this at the Equip screen for armor loadouts.

E: I assume it's the Start button on XBox.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

v1ld posted:

In a game with superbly precise controls the fact that a Triangle + Circle input with your weapon sheathed is treated as a Circle input if there's anything to pickup nearby is maddening. I've grown to hate this more than the whiplash camera (or Zorah).

Why yes, I would much rather pick up and sniff Nerg's pawprint instead of doing a lunging attack opener with the CB as I had requested.

Some of the prioritisation in this game is very wonky. Another consistent annoyance is the snap-to lockons and their priorities in the map screen. No, I really don't want to lock onto a teammate but the monster below them. Would've been much better to not do any snap-tos of the cursor, just select what's below the cursor. This is like the camera whiplash effect: in such a precise control game, why take control away from the player for this trivial stuff?

Likewise the prioritisation of material pickup vs pod drops being dependent on whether the monster is alive or dead. Basing it on proximity would be more intuitive.

Then again this stuff wasn't that irritating for the first 199 hours, so that's not bad. The T+O override to O has been lovely since the first time it happened, but I don't know how many weapons other than CB have an opening attack from sheathed with that key combo so maybe they just overlooked it.

I thought weapons just have the one unsheathe attack with direction + triangle. I know that's what it is for charge blade, anyway.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Lynx Winters posted:

I thought weapons just have the one unsheathe attack with direction + triangle. I know that's what it is for charge blade, anyway.

CB also has R2, which is an axe chop

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So Gaijin hunter posted a new video about an interview with the mh devs that seems to imply a new region is in the works. Knowing past games it may be a snow area, so stuff like Tigrex, Khezu and Lagombi may be joining us soon, with whatever new snow monsters they think up. I'd love to see Gammoth again.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

gently caress Khezu, bring back Gigginox.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zamtrios please

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So Gaijin hunter posted a new video about an interview with the mh devs that seems to imply a new region is in the works. Knowing past games it may be a snow area, so stuff like Tigrex, Khezu and Lagombi may be joining us soon, with whatever new snow monsters they think up. I'd love to see Gammoth again.

Tigrex's natural habitat is the desert and arid climates, hence its coloring. In 2nd G the whole story is specifically that one had wandered up to the mountains to chow down on Popo. It was meant to illustrate how dedicated Tigrex is to murder.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Fuzz posted:

This is wrong and people need to stop reposting it.

Slugger increases KO considerably, and if you then further boost it with Stamina Thief (exhaust damage to the head is KO damage) you can do some really ridiculous things with a hammer if you can consistently smash face.

Hmm, I think you misunderstand how KO and Exhaust work. They aren't an invisible stats on the weapon (that are then increased by Slugger/Stamina Thief, like how a Status-increasing skill would work), they are simply properties of Impact weapons. Taking Stamina Thief does not increase the amount of KO damage you do to the head and taking Slugger does not increase the amount of Exhaust damage you do with bodyshots. They also don't transform into each other, they are separate effects.

Slugger is still a decent skill but you certainly don't need it solo. Where it comes in handy is online, due to the increased thresholds for proccing the relevant effects.

v1ld posted:

CB doesn't have a Triangle+Circle unsheathe attack. It has Triangle for the running slash and R2 for the overhead axe slam. No weapon in the game has an unsheathe command that requires Circle actually (probably for the very reason you are encountering). The closest is Circle+R2 with Hammer which isn't really a unique draw command, it just instantly cancels the charge with a power charge due to the input buffer.

You can track monsters via their name in the bottom left of the map, that's a much easier/more consistent way of doing it. Pick-up prioritization is annoying I'd agree, although I understand why they made the choice. I'd personally prefer if materials were simply always prioritized, since they go away once you pick them up, whereas slinger ammo replaces whatever you have currently equipped, which can lead to super annoying drop-&-pickup chains when you are trying to get a material and covering it with slinger ammo over and over.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Actually I just checked and here's how unsheathing works: Every single weapon in the game has two unsheathe commands: Triangle and R2. Every single weapon has a unique effect for Triangle and a unique effect for R2 (even bowguns: Triangle unsheathes into a reload and R2 just unsheathes, no reload). No weapon uses any other command for an unsheathe action, those two are it (so for instance, CB can't draw into a guard, any input with R2 while sheathed will always be an axe slam). The closest is the R2 + Circle instant Power Charge with the Hammer, which seems to more of an input buffer mechanic rather than an actual command (doesn't show up in the top right, same effect can be achieved with mashing Circle after hitting R2).

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

AttackBacon posted:

(so for instance, CB can't draw into a guard, any input with R2 while sheathed will always be an axe slam)

It seems like there's a guard point at the beginning of the R2 unsheathe animation, but the timing is extremely tight.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Dr Cheeto posted:

CB also has R2, which is an axe chop

You right, I guess what I was trying to say is what already got said, there's no triangle + circle draw attacks.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Dr Cheeto posted:

It seems like there's a guard point at the beginning of the R2 unsheathe animation, but the timing is extremely tight.

There is, it's the same guard point that you get from doing the triangle + R2 transform slam out of sword mode. (because it's the same animation)

E: the guard frames are actually a bit shorter because you skip having to sheath the sword inside the shield and go right into the overhead slam.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 15, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

AttackBacon posted:

Hmm, I think you misunderstand how KO and Exhaust work. They aren't an invisible stats on the weapon (that are then increased by Slugger/Stamina Thief, like how a Status-increasing skill would work), they are simply properties of Impact weapons. Taking Stamina Thief does not increase the amount of KO damage you do to the head and taking Slugger does not increase the amount of Exhaust damage you do with bodyshots. They also don't transform into each other, they are separate effects.

Slugger is still a decent skill but you certainly don't need it solo. Where it comes in handy is online, due to the increased thresholds for proccing the relevant effects.

No one said anything about Slugger affecting Exhaust.

Exhaust damage to the head 100% counts as KO damage, though. This is only specifically relevant when it comes to Exhaust phial Switchaxes, but Gaijinhunter has confirmed this in multiple videos. Stamina Thief on something that already does impact damage actually does increase KO damage when that thing is hitting the head. This is most easily seen with the bow and the ball bearing rain, where you very much will KO monsters faster and more often simply by tossing 3 levels of Stamina Thief on.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 15, 2018

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

In previous installments it was almost always better to take damage over slugger and stamina thief because you were pretty unlikely to get more stuns or exhausts from those skills over the course of the fight. It was more efficient to focus on your damage, earplugs or evasion and kill the monster quicker. They might have buffed them since gen, though vOv.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Boy do I hate having to manually manage investigations. There desperately needs to be a sorting option by monster and the ability to just never get investigations for bugs and other stupid poo poo.

Fighting things like the Barroth is even more obnoxious because there are like 20 break points and each one gives you some stupid investigation you need to delete to make room for good ones.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yodzilla posted:

Boy do I hate having to manually manage investigations. There desperately needs to be a sorting option by monster and the ability to just never get investigations for bugs and other stupid poo poo.

Fighting things like the Barroth is even more obnoxious because there are like 20 break points and each one gives you some stupid investigation you need to delete to make room for good ones.

You don't have to get rid of old ones, the game does that on it's own. Any new ones past the limit push out the oldest ones. But yeah sorting is still needed.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Fuzz posted:

No one said anything about Slugger affecting Exhaust.

Exhaust damage to the head 100% counts as KO damage, though. This is only specifically relevant when it comes to Exhaust phial Switchaxes, but Gaijinhunter has confirmed this in multiple videos. Stamina Thief on something that already does impact damage actually does increase KO damage when that thing is hitting the head. This is most easily seen with the bow and the ball bearing rain, where you very much will KO monsters faster and more often simply by tossing 3 levels of Stamina Thief on.

I'm 99.9999% sure Stamina Thief does not affect KO values, period, in any instance. It has never been the case historically, my casual testing shows no difference, and it wouldn't make sense in general as then you'd have a level 1 jewel that was strictly better than a level 2 jewel. I'm always willing to change my mind with concrete evidence, but I've never heard or seen that and it's not mentioned on the JP wikis anywhere.

Yes, Exhaust phial SA's, bowguns using Exhaust ammo, and Exhaust coatings on bow cause KO damage when hitting the head. No one is disputing that. Exhaust and KO are different effects however, in terms of their application and mechanics. Increasing one does not affect the other.

Dr Cheeto posted:

There is, the frames are super tight due to there being no preliminary animation, as you and Astro pointed out. Can't draw into a regular guard though, which (if I recall correctly) you used to be able to do in previous games. I think they've just streamlined the options from sheathe, since it's universally Triangle and R2 now.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 16, 2018

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

AttackBacon posted:

Yes, Exhaust phial SA's, bowguns using Exhaust ammo, and Exhaust coatings on bow cause KO damage when hitting the head. No one is disputing that. Exhaust and KO are different effects however, in terms of their application and mechanics. Increasing one does not affect the other.

I disagree. In my experience, stamina thief and slugger drastically increase my KO rate when I'm hunting horning.

KO damage, much like break or mount or bandit mantle, is a percentage of your actual damage. as far as I can tell, these skills just increase the percentage of your damage that gets applied as those statuses. :shrug: So you can get more kos if your damage is higher, but you can get even more kos, relatively, by using those skills, just trading some damage for it.

In the end, unless you're doing tempered jho or something, it doesn't matter, let people do what they want.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Speaking on investigations, how should I be doing them? Seems like I could just spend hours killing vespoids, but it seems if I don't need what they drop I can just leave them?

also I carried an egg I found back to camp because it seemed like the thing to do but it just fell through the floor when I brought it back. I take it it's quest related?

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Speaking on investigations, how should I be doing them? Seems like I could just spend hours killing vespoids, but it seems if I don't need what they drop I can just leave them?

also I carried an egg I found back to camp because it seemed like the thing to do but it just fell through the floor when I brought it back. I take it it's quest related?

The point of investigations is that they give you bonus drops from whatever monster the investigation is focused on, so just do investigations for monsters you want to build the armor/weapons of.

You can put an egg in your item box at the camp to get a chunk of research points, but other than that, yeah, it's quest related.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

I disagree. In my experience, stamina thief and slugger drastically increase my KO rate when I'm hunting horning.

KO damage, much like break or mount or bandit mantle, is a percentage of your actual damage. as far as I can tell, these skills just increase the percentage of your damage that gets applied as those statuses. :shrug: So you can get more kos if your damage is higher, but you can get even more kos, relatively, by using those skills, just trading some damage for it.

In the end, unless you're doing tempered jho or something, it doesn't matter, let people do what they want.

What? That's not how KO works at all! And don't hit me with the "unless you are a mega-pro, it doesn't matter". That's completely misrepresenting my position and argument. I'm not discounting the skills themselves, I'm trying to clarify how they work. Of course Slugger increases KO and Stamina Thief increases exhaust! What they don't do is increase the other. Stamina Thief does not increase KO damage.

KO works like this: the monster has a threshold, and every attack that can apply KO damage applies a certain amount. This is not tied to the damage of the attack, they are completely unrelated. For instance, the level 2 charge uppercut for hammer does more KO than the level 3 super pound, despite doing less damage. That KO value is what Slugger increases. Exhaust works the same way: monsters have a threshold, attacks do a certain amount of "exhaust damage" (again, a specific value assigned to the attack, not a percentage of damage) and when you do enough exhaust damage, the monster takes a proc of the exhaust effect. In older games, you could tell exhaust had procced by a flinch and a spray of yellow saliva, I'm not sure if that tell is still in MHW, I haven't checked. When the exhaust "status" procs like this, what happens is the monster loses a large chunk of its hidden stamina meter. When a monster loses all it's stamina (either via it's own attacks or via exhaust procs), it gets exhausted.

I think the skills are just fine, what I'm concerned with is the misunderstanding of how stuff works.

If you are interested, you can read up on the mechanics here: https://mhworld.kiranico.com/ or for the most accurate information available you can muddle through the various JP wikis.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 16, 2018

puking pentagrams
May 6, 2017

very proud of this guild card

https://twitter.com/dustyn_echoes/status/985682360896077824?s=21

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I went with the same pose and background. You look much fancier than my guy though

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Trick Question posted:

The point of investigations is that they give you bonus drops from whatever monster the investigation is focused on, so just do investigations for monsters you want to build the armor/weapons of.

You can put an egg in your item box at the camp to get a chunk of research points, but other than that, yeah, it's quest related.

oh! so if I want say, poison sacs from that rear end in a top hat bird investigations are the way to go. ty.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

AttackBacon posted:

I'm 99.9999% sure Stamina Thief does not affect KO values, period, in any instance. It has never been the case historically, my casual testing shows no difference, and it wouldn't make sense in general as then you'd have a level 1 jewel that was strictly better than a level 2 jewel. I'm always willing to change my mind with concrete evidence, but I've never heard or seen that and it's not mentioned on the JP wikis anywhere.

Ergo, when you increase exhaust damage, you increase KO damage when striking the head with exhaust attacks. So... Stamina Thief can raise KO damage in certain situations? YUP!

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Fuzz posted:

Ergo, when you increase exhaust damage, you increase KO damage when striking the head with exhaust attacks. So... Stamina Thief can raise KO damage in certain situations? YUP!

I don't understand why you are so stuck on this. I understand your logic, but there is no evidence that supports it. This is not how it works. Please, give me hard evidence or anything but "I think it works like this and it makes sense to me so this is how it works." It has never worked like that in the entire history of the series. There is no evidence that it works like that in Monster Hunter World. I have tested it myself today, I've checked all the resources. I have given you strong arguments for why it doesn't make sense for it to work like that. It does not do what you say. If you can prove to me that it does, I will happily change my tune (although it would partially invalidate Slugger as a skill, which would be a strange decision).

I'm not trying to pin you into a corner and rub your nose in it or anything, but I think we can all agree that it's useful to know how skills actually work so that we can make good choices about when to use them. Stamina Thief is a decent way to increase your utility with a blunt weapon or with exhaust effects. It does not interact with KO damage, but it doesn't need to in order to be useful.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

No, it isn't directly implied at all.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

The only things that increase stun damage are the slugger skill, impact mantle, and odog's set bonus. I'm not 100% on the set bonus though.

Stun damage is independent of exhaust damage. Stun damage also does not care about sharpness, raw, or affinity. Stun damage only cares about the monster's face.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Astroniomix posted:

The only things that increase stun damage are the slugger skill, impact mantle, and odog's set bonus. I'm not 100% on the set bonus though.

Stun damage is independent of exhaust damage. Stun damage also does not care about sharpness, raw, or affinity. Stun damage only cares about the monster's face.

Okay cool. in which case slugger and stamina thief are definitely your best options for increasing those.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Okay cool. in which case slugger and stamina thief are definitely your best options for increasing those.

Stamina thief does not increase stun damage.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
What a bizarre rear end argument

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Astroniomix posted:

Stamina thief does not increase stun damage.

It increases exhaust, yes. Which is converted into stun on the head.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?
Both sides have made their points. Now shut up and prove it. Go test it and make a video or something.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Incorrect, stun damage is not affected by exhaust damage, the exhaust effect still applies when hitting a monster in the head. The exhaust damage doesn't "convert" into anything. (IIRC in past games the stun damage actually happened with every attack, it's just that every hitzone on the monsters other than their head had a 100% resistance to stun)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

What gives you the confidence to make these absolutist assertions based on nothing but conjecture? It's really confusing to me. You apparently haven't done any testing, you haven't done any research, and yet you are speaking as if you are categorically correct, not even leaving any possibility that you are wrong. It's mind boggling to me.

I've been playing these games for over a decade. I read about the mechanics, puzzle through JP wikis, test things myself for hours. And even then I'm wrong sometimes, so I always try to leave the possibility open. To just say "this is how it is" and be completely confident of that, with absolutely no basis...I just don't understand the thinking. At least account for the possibility of error.

You demonstrably didn't understand how mechanics worked and didn't respond when corrected and yet you are persisting with some new confabulation. Why keep engaging?

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 16, 2018