Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
drat, this is a whole other world of "hungry" that I never knew existed.

I'll get an mildly unpleasant feeling in my stomach to let me know it's empty, sometimes with borborygmi, but that's about it.

This whole 'hungry shakes' thing would freak me the gently caress out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
It's happened to me once or twice when I first started a prescription for methylphenidate and was working out yeah heavily and holy poo poo is it a bad feeling. I got incredibly aggressive and confused and my hands felt like they were vibrating.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/DJCPI/status/985543080014204929

Worth taking the time to zoom in on these winners' faces tbh

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I throw up if I get too hungry. But even just a single bite will stop it from happening. It also makes my benign essential tremor much worse. Being hungry is the worst and I always carry granola bars with me so I don't end up puking.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Popehat is probably one of the best defenders of free speech America has, because he knows his poo poo, is proactive, and doesn’t help Nazis.

He even (eventually) kicked one out of the group blog. Clark something.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I get hangry

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

oldpainless posted:

I get hangry

More like oldfoodless

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Popehat is probably one of the best defenders of free speech America has, because he knows his poo poo, is proactive, and doesn’t help Nazis.

Wasn't he somehow related to the Dark Enlightenment and Less Wrong crowd?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I don't have hunger problems, but my mom has issues after her two hospital stays.

In 2010, she spent 35 days in the hospital due to pancreatitis caused by undiagnosed gallstones. She made it out of surgery to remove her gallbladder with something like a 20% chance of survival, and took about 6 months to get her strength back up to where she could walk around normally without getting tired. A while after that, she started suffering what seemed like an acid buildup when she didn't eat enough or ate the wrong things (like anything spicy) that would result in dry heaving or potentially vomiting.

Well, it turns out the mesh put in after her surgery had hosed up and she actually had an infection. In the summer of 2016 she ended up hospitalized again, this time for only about two weeks but the doctor told us that if we had delayed another day she probably would have died. Now she can eat just about anything she wants, but her body's been hosed into having diabetes. If she skips even one meal of her three a day, she risks getting shaky and woozy. The worst part is that the foggy brain she gets from low blood sugar can cause her to make irrational decisions like skipping eating until she gets home because she doesn't want to go to the trouble of stopping somewhere, so sometimes I have to forcibly get her to eat so she doesn't crash her car.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Wasn't he somehow related to the Dark Enlightenment and Less Wrong crowd?

That was Clark. He was purged by this guy people like, Ken.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm never hungry because I never stop eating.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I had a gf who would faint if she took a shower before eating in the morning. That's my hunger shakes story, hth.

The Big Word posted:

https://twitter.com/DJCPI/status/985543080014204929

Worth taking the time to zoom in on these winners' faces tbh

Ah yes good ol cultural Marxism.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I dunno what less wrong means when you all say it, but law types should probably be less wrong, yeah.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Aramek posted:

I dunno what less wrong means when you all say it, but law types should probably be less wrong, yeah.

It's a stupid online cult.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Aramek posted:

It's a Reddit for precocious cuddle-puddle transhumanists and their facist-adjacent friends.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Aramek posted:

Intellectualism for Idiots. Now with added racism!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The cult leader is Eliezer Yudkowsky, who has no formal training in robotics or mathematics and yet believes that the Singularity is imminent and we have to make sure our future AI cares about humanity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXARrMadTKk

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fathis Munk posted:

I had a gf who would faint if she took a shower before eating in the morning. That's my hunger shakes story, hth.

Ah yes good ol cultural Marxism.

THE FRANKFURT SCHOOL.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AlbieQuirky posted:

It's a stupid online cult.

Their idea of hell is an AI so smart it time-travels back to ruin the lives of everyone who didn't help make it. It is incredibly loving stupid.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I seriously thought that poo poo was a satire. My mind is melting.

Edit: satire isn't the right word, but like flat earthers after Tila Tequila but before steamed hams rocket man. That kind of thing that no one really believes if their meds are up.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 18:50 on Apr 15, 2018

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Arivia posted:

Their idea of hell is an AI so smart it time-travels back to ruin the lives of everyone who didn't help make it. It is incredibly loving stupid.

Nah, it just creates simulations of their consciousnesses and eternally tortures the simulations

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
The worst fate that can befall an individual is having someone make a version of you in the Sims so that they can make you light fireworks in a 2x2 shed without a door

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

If you had any empathy, you'd carry the guilt of someone deciding, completely beyond your control, to burn you in effigy.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Arivia posted:

No no no. Time travel isn't possible.

The AI will make perfect simulations of the people who could have helped it, but didn't, being hellishly tortured. That's not just possible, but inevitable!

Oh, and before you say that you don't even care what would happen to your flawless duplicate, read this crank treatise on quantum mechanics to learn why your decision-theory is childish and inconsistent!!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also something about getting a grain of sand in your eye being the most physically and emotionally devastating thing that could ever happen.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Also something about getting a grain of sand in your eye being the most physically and emotionally devastating thing that could ever happen.

Not quite. Its more along the lines that if you're given a choice between killing some people and giving an infinite number of people a grain of sand in their eye, you should kill someone, because that pain is finite while the other isn't. Or something. Its a bunch of people who vaguely kinda-sorta grasp the concept of "infinity" and take it to truly ridiculous extremes.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
That's just a standard utilitarianism thought experiment. Although I feel like it's usually used as an argument against utilitarianism, not an actual moral guideline.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Gorilla Salad posted:

drat, this is a whole other world of "hungry" that I never knew existed.

I'll get an mildly unpleasant feeling in my stomach to let me know it's empty, sometimes with borborygmi, but that's about it.

This whole 'hungry shakes' thing would freak me the gently caress out.

It's not the most pleasant of things. It can also make me feel... ravenous, is the best word. Not just hungry, but... a desire to eat something that is almost frightening in how strong it is.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Lotta zombies outing themselves in this thread.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I've had a gastric bypass because, frankly, I was dying in slow motion beforehand, and so I've been through basically every type of eating and hunger issue there is.

I was on a medically prescribed starvation diet for 3 weeks before surgery, where you have exactly 700 calories a day in the form of protein shakes that taste like pancake batter. It's to prepare the body for surgery and make your liver floppy and all that. Eventually ketosis kicks in and you stop feeling hungry, but the first 4-5 days can really mess with your head. You feel slow and stupid and can't focus on anything, you're hungry enough to eat your desk, and your mind will straight up tell you lies about how you should totally just have a little something, it'll be fine, it's not a big deal.

People say you get a burst of energy after a few days, but those people are full of it. The hunger feeling does eventually go away, but none of the rest of it does.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Strudel Man posted:

That's just a standard utilitarianism thought experiment. Although I feel like it's usually used as an argument against utilitarianism, not an actual moral guideline.

Yeah, that’s more of a thought experiment about what happens when you start using unreasonably high numbers. Yuddites, on the other hand, are nuts for that kind of stuff.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Doc Hawkins posted:

The AI will make perfect simulations of the people who could have helped it, but didn't, being hellishly tortured. That's not just possible, but inevitable!

...flawless duplicate..

I was thinking that I've heard of this before even though I've never come across that branch of internet crazy before but then realized I'm just thinking about the Black Mirror episode about the brain marbles that turn people into Alexa units.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

It works, because they are, as a group, an ad absurdum argument against some forms of utilitarianism, like how reducing-suffering.org is inadvertently an argument against veganism and vegetarianism as ethical positions.

"Animal suffering is bad, therefore let's trigger mass extinctions and collapse the biosphere to just insects and jellyfish. This might have the additional benefit of preventing humanity from spreading to additional planets."

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, that's kinda the problem that the Dark Enlightenment folks have.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
I've seen a lot of overlap between LessWrong followers and practitioners of ethical altruism. Not exactly sure why though.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Byzantine posted:

Lotta zombies outing themselves in this thread.

Regular or P?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Those people sound really easy to beat up.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Aramek posted:

Those people sound really easy to beat up.

Why bother? Just tell them to shut up or you'll make a replica of them in The Sims and lock it in a house without toilets.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Panfilo posted:

I've seen a lot of overlap between LessWrong followers and practitioners of ethical altruism. Not exactly sure why though.

They drifted towards the whole EA thing and argued that the threat of evil AI was so great to a potentially infinite number of future humans that the most ehtical thing possible was to give them money to study computer science

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Big Yud also wrote a super-didactic Harry Potter fix-it fic where Harry is Yud's author self-insertion character.

His cult tried to get it nominated for a Hugo award