Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Just realized that I should have went after Pia in my playthroughs (not that I ever got far enough in the story to actually marry anyone) for the additional reason that Link and Pia's children would be able to turn into sheep-fish (or so I decided), which is pretty close to a goat-fish (ie a Capricorn, my sign).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

hey girl you up posted:

I... I don't think that is true.

Yeah, going by the etymology, it was originally a throwing fork, and likely what Shino used in her line of work.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, yes. If you put ketchup on the turnips and then have a fight with them, it's rather unsightly.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Getting Hitched

Music: Festival

I guess I should deal with this pesky festival before popping the question.

And crops. I'm close to the point where I really don't have to care about crops anymore, but I figure I should put a token effort into winning the final crop festival.

I took some turnips from Link's farm without--
W-what did you do?!

No, seriously, what DID you do? It's impossible to have full grown turnips on the farm at this point, what with it being the first day of the season and all.

Which also makes me wonder why the Turnip Fight is today, but details.

Oh, I completely forgot. But I'm gonna throw it at you as hard as I can. Ha ha ha!
Oh, thanks. Heh heh.

Spoilers: This update will be cut short when Link dies an gory death to turnips.

I just can't help it...
Gaius?!

That's...a really good question. Are turnips just more of a Thing in Japan?

But mayonnaise is okay, don't you think?
Wait a second.

I'm glad the game is giving appropriate screen time to the Great Turnip Ketchup Disaster of '06.

And, you'd make more money with the bathhouse.
Sakuya...
I couldn't help myself.

The great tragedy of Marian is that if she can do poo poo like this, she could do actual super-useful things. Except that would require her to be not terrible.

It's true. The real reason I don't show off much of the actual farming is because it involves dark rituals where you throw turnips at unsuspecting passerby.

Let's get this show on the road.

It follows the standard festival progression of 'get a few things to throw->get a lot of things to throw->get some higher-point things to throw". How many variations of this have we done by now?

Fun fact: Blonde hair gives you better turnip-throwing powers.

Huh...?

How do they get tired?

...why is Sakuya carrying around an ice sculpture of an elephant trunk?

With that out of the way, it's time to propose!

And chase Pia around for a few minutes because Sakuya kept being too close, and I didn't want to accidentally propose to her. The town square is more scenic or something, anyway.

I...um...

Rune Factory Wiki posted:

Marriage Requirements

To get married you must have the bachelorette at 10 hearts, have united the town and the Univir, have to have the double bed (purchased from Diamond General Store) and complete all of her requests. After you have done this Wells and Marjorie will show up and and give you the engagement ring's recipe for the Workshop. People who have played Rune Factory 2 might recognize this ring as Mana's proposal item. The recommended level for crafting this item is 20 and you will need 2 Silvers and a Ruby. To get the double bed, you need to defeat the twins monster at Oddward.
Huh. Well Pia's affection is at 10, so that's not the problem. And I have the double bed. And every site says these same marriage requirements, so it's not like the wiki's wrong.

The problem is actually much dumber than that. And I solve it completely by accident. :downs:

We've finished all her quests, so that's not the problem either. But maybe we have to do some of her family's quests?

Yes. I'd be happy to help.
Thanks. We're a small inn, so we can't hire our own cook. So I'll need to be able to step up when I need to...
Hmmm, well, how about we start with trying to make Boiled Egg.
Boiled Egg? That might be setting the bar too high.
Umm....Well, yeah, it might be...
Well, do you mind waiting? I'll go get you the ingredients.

Fun fact: You specifically have to give her a large egg for this. She'll brush you off if you try to give her a small or medium one. This also means I have to wait until tomorrow to finish this, since I've used up my Cluckadoodles' eggs already.

And yes, this IS the "haha, a girl can't cook, this is inherently hilarious" trope anyone who's consumed enough Japanese media knows and hates. How did you guess?

First batch of turnips are in.

And that means I can make pickle mix. But not turnip heaven, because that'd need gold turnips. What is with all the turnips in this game??

It's an egg, Sakuya.

Anyway, it looks like we're all ready.
Yes. But we'll need a stove to cook on.
We can do it in my mom's room.

This seems like a terrible idea on several levels.

First, put some water in the pot.
Okay.
Next, add a little salt to the water. Then wait.until it boils, then add the egg in the pot.
There we go. The pot might be a little small.
Yeah...Wait, why are you putting it in?! The water hasn't boiled at all!
Oh...Okay, my first mistake, I guess. Anyway, what's next?
Well, I guess not everyone agrees when to put the egg in, but...
All you have to do is put it on medium heat and wait about 10 minutes.
For 10 whole minutes?! How am I supposed to wait that long?
I got it! How about we just turn the heat up?
Wait, if you raise the temperature suddenly!!

:stonk:

:ramsay:

It exploded...
Yes.
I wonder why?
Well, if you can't even think of why, I think that's your problem.
That's why I hate eggs.

Aaaand we're doomed.

Oh, Shino...
Well, I thought I'd make a Boiled Egg, but the egg exploded.
Oh...
Well, why don't you take a bath? I'll clean this up.
I'm sorry...

Fade out, fade in.

But Sakuya, why did you suddenly want to cook? You said an innkeeper doesn't have to be able to cook.
Th-That was a long time ago.
Are you giving up on your dreams of being an innkeeper?
No. Actually, I thought I should be able to cook to become one. Because my dream is to be able to run an inn that monsters can stay in.

What?! What are you talking about?! I won't let you do that!
What?!
Why not?! There are some good monsters out there!
And how are you going to convince all of your customers of that?!
W-Well...
(Is Sakuya doing this for me...?)
If you insist, go do it somewhere else. I won't be a part of it.

Holy poo poo Shino. I know :capitalism: and all, but that's ice loving cold.

What?!
Please wait! Shino, please trust Sakuya.
I don't care what you say, I won't be letting any monster stay in my inn.
Is that...?

Come on Shino, we did the Unity Festival and everything. Racism is Officially Over Forever.

Mom, you really hated monsters that much?!

Music: Sadness

Link, could you please turn back to a human? If you don't, then you can leave.
Mom!
(She didn't seem to mind during the Unity Festival, so why...?)
Link. Please.
Okay...

It might surprise you to learn that Link actually does have a backbone. It just takes a hell of a lot for him to access it.

Link!

Mom, this doesn't make sense! You never said anything before!

What the gently caress, Shino. I thought you were cool.

We might not actually see the payoff for this, but yeah, sure, let's trust her.

Yeah! Leave it to me!
Oh, that's right. Here, this is for everything today. I'm really sorry, Link.
So, you just wait. I'm going to convince Mom one way or another!

It's been too long since my first playthrough to remember how this plot ends up, but considering that Shino a)is generally cool, and b)is shown as loving cute monsters, I suspect I know how this is going to go anyway.

But do you love Link enough to marry him??

Yeah, so there's an additional condition to getting married. The game actually mentions it back when you get the engagement ring recipe, but none of the Rune Factory sites specifically mention it. So if you forgot a single line in a conversation several weeks ago, tough poo poo.

Haifisch posted:

One last thing. There is a tradition in these lands. The man asks the girl out to a scenic place, and proposes with a ring.

I'd forgotten that(what with it being from an update two months ago and all), but I accidentally did it anyway. I figured I'd take Pia on a date while I tried figuring out what I was doing wrong.

On the way, I found out that my Emery Flower finally grew.

Incidentally, for anyone playing themselves, make sure you finish all your daily chores before going to propose. The game automatically advances to the next day afterwards!

Music: Date

What?! Is this your first time, Pia?
No, I come here a lot!
I-I see...It seemed like your first.
Really? I think you're tired. You should take a bath!
What?! Um...Uh...W-Well, Let's rest for a bit.
OK then!
It's so pretty.
Okay! Smells good too! I'll take some to put in a bath!

If only we could all be as easily pleased as Pia.

But I have lots of things that are special to me now.
Oh, really? Like what?
Heh heh. It's a secret!
Great! This will be perfect for my bath tonight.

Well then, I'll bring squid next time!
I'll pass.
Oh, then, if I prepare a bath that you really like...

I'll come visit. Just to see you.
Oh, OK then...
It's kinda weird, but I'm pretty happy, heh heh...
Hee-hee...Let's go then! To the baths!

Finally.

Link, could you at least TRY to look happy about proposing?

Here?! Now?! With you?!
Of course, silly!

I love you, Pia!
Me too!

And the game directly proceeds to...the second opening! I strongly encourage watching it becauce a)I appended the voice-acted proposal event to the start of it, and b)...well, you'll see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ppVx1BMSsU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Wow, the animators fully expected you to marry Shara. Why would anyone willingly marry her, except for their eleventh playthrough?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and it gets worse in the 'game expects you to marry Shara' aspect.

I would not be surprised if that's the reason her popularity is so low

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

BlazeEmblem posted:

Wow, the animators fully expected you to marry Shara. Why would anyone willingly marry her, except for their eleventh playthrough?

The hell are you talking about? She's a good #5 at absolute least.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

BlazeEmblem posted:

I'll be honest, she's better than the likes of Collette or Marian. Boring anime is better than hyper-aggressive anime in terms of character personalities.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

I'll be honest, she's better than the likes of Collette or Marian. Boring anime is better than hyper-aggressive anime in terms of character personalities.

That's a pretty low bar though.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
"I HAVE CREATED... A LEMON"

(celestial choir sings)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Picayune posted:

"I HAVE CREATED... A LEMON"

(celestial choir sings)
Lemons aren't in the game at all, so maybe it's worth the dramatic chorus.

Then again, that pumpkin monster and that lion thing aren't in the game either...

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Robindaybird posted:

and it gets worse in the 'game expects you to marry Shara' aspect.

I would not be surprised if that's the reason her popularity is so low

Lemme guess, all your kids have orange hair?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Jade Rider posted:

Lemme guess, all your kids have orange hair?

her model's used for the wedding, even if they do show the art of your actual bride

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The human vs. monster conflict may be settled, but the question of ketchup fight vs. mayonnaise fight will still endure, centuries into the future.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
The Road to Ruins

Music: Home Sweet Home

It's the morning of Link's wedding day(which is less than 24 hours after he proposed, because wedding planning totally works that way), and Wells is here for a nice friendly chat.

Stay calm.
Stay calm? Why?
I hope it's nothing...But I can't find Pia anywhere!
Are you sure she didn't just go off on her own? She can't just have gone and vanished!

That's not like her! Something must be going on...We're supposed to get married today! She would never run away from that!
I fear the worst...
Well, I don't care what happened. But I AM going to find her! By any means necessary!

So as I not-so-subtly hinted, the plot ain't over yet. It's time for Link to run out there and

take care of his crops before investigating.

"I've looked EVERYWHERE I could think of! She's not in my house, my fields, or my monster barn! I'm out of options!"

She's not at the settlement, so maybe she hasn't left town?
That's true. I'll try looking harder.
I'll be sure to let you know if I find anything out.

So there's actually a specific chain of people you need to talk to in order to progress, but Link might as well talk to everyone for authenticity's sake.

The dialogue also involves amusing amounts of dancing around naming your bride. Which is silly because your bride has their own variable in the textdump.

Well, let me know when you find her. Let us all know.

But in a cute touch, people close to your missing bride will have special commentary.

Yeah, something's not right here...

But I do think that everything happens for a reason. There must be some explanation!
Just keep looking!

Thanks, Shara. Very helpful.

Incidentally, after talking to people for their "your bride is missing and :iiam:" text, they still have their normal daily text. I say that because...

I've got big news! One of the flowers I'm growing is REALLY big!

Now is really not the time, Shara.

About this big?
No, no!

Shara. Seriously. Not now.

That's amazing! I'd like to see it!
Oh, well, it flew away as soon as it bloomed.
What kind of flower were you growing...?

An actual lead? :monocle:

Ruins?
Yeah. They're on the small island in the middle of the lake in front of our shop. No one ever goes there, so I thought it was a little weird.
I don't know where she went after that, but she couldn't have gone far!

Dang, nice, ni-

Carmen. Please.

My fishing meister blood starts to stir sometimes. I can't help it...
Meister...?
*gasp*! Bad Carmen! *shake shake*.
You better not tell Pia about this! Seriously! I'm not kidding!
D-Don't worry, if it comes down to it, I'll be sure to stop you!

It's okay, I'm pretty sure Pia's too busy being missing to care.

:stonklol:

Link. Try proposing to me.

I know I give Link a lot of poo poo, but Evelyn is quickly gunning for the gold medal in Most Tone Deaf Character.

No, thank you.
What?!

>I can't

Oh, do you have someone you care about?
No, well...

"See, she's kind of missing and I'm trying to find her, since we're supposed to get married today, and..."

Monsters and humans can't coexist.

:smith:

You know, I've realized what my problem is with Blaise. He's a standard Harvest Moon character trapped in a game where most characters have actual personalities and dialogue variety.

Really? You actually think that has anything to do with this?
I guess I shouldn't comment, then. Sorry.

It's funny that everyone's worried this much about this specific point, when:
1)Nobody in town cared that we were half-monster except Wells, and he got over it pretty quickly.
2)Any of the girls you can marry will definitely not care in the slightest. (Except Kuruna, but she gets over it during the main plot)

...Not really what I need to hear right now.

Karina can't even pretend she cares about this, can she?

So the first part of this investigation chain is getting Carmen to tell us about the ruins, then heading to the lake.

But what about those ruins? Well, let's talk to some more people.

...let's go talk to some people who aren't Zaid.

I'm sorry. I just can't think straight right now...

Those two were hanging out at the lake, so now...

To the ruins!

Away from the ruins!

Those doors have been closed as long as I can remember. I've never once seen them open.
Well, that's not much help...
Do you think Pia is inside the ruins?
Some people think they saw here there.
But...the doors are shut tight!
I know. But it's weird. Somehow, I...know she's in there.
Hmm...Now that I think about it, there might be a way. Marjorie might know something. You should go talk to her.
I will. Thanks.

Magical doors?
That's right. No matter how hard you pull, they'll never open!
Then how the heck am I supposed to get in?!
Calm down, boy!
Sorry about that...
We don't have anything in town powerful enough.to open the doors. The magic is far too potent!
Well, guess there's nothing I can do, then.
Don't look so defeated, boy! Do you know the young man with the horn? Ondorus, I think? I think he might be able to help.
He can?!
Well, I don't know if he can. But he might. No one else has the magic abilities he does. He's our only hope, to be honest.
Well, he's also our best hope! Thanks, Marjorie! That was a big help!

Ah, sorry about that.
What do you need?
Well, it's complicated. I think Pia went to the ruins, but the door's sealed shut with some magic spell.
And let me guess. You need me to open those doors.
Yeah. Can you do it?
I think I can. But...how do you know she's inside the ruins if the doors won't open?
Folks in town say they saw her by the ruins. And, I can't explain it, but...I just know she's in there. I can feel it.
I understand. I'll do what I can to help, then.
All right! Let's get going then!
Not so fast.
What's wrong?
I must retrieve a tome before we head to the ruins. I need to look up some information.
About what?
Details on the ruins. That will help me open the doors.
Sounds like a good idea!
Go to the ruins without me. I'll come when I'm ready.
Thanks, Ondorus! You're always such a big help!

And by "when he's ready" he means "literally the instant we walk onto the lake screen".

That was fast.
I'm a quick reader. Time to go.
Huh?

Ah, sorry about that. I'll try not to let.it happen again. Hmmm...These doors are quite intricate. It's strange. Who built them, and for what?

Man, we can only use our own Teleport to go back home or to the start of a dungeon. Link's been ripped off.

What's your take on these doors, Ondorus?
The magic spell is even more potent than I anticipated.
That was my fear, too. Can you open them?
Yes. But I can't do it alone.
I thought you said you could open it!
Calm down. I did some research on the ruins before I came here. We don't know who built them, but I did find some clues regarding the doors.
What did you find?
A poem. Here's what it said...

What could it mean?
I can only think of one answer: The humans and univir must join hands.
Makes as much sense as anything! Let's open those doors, Ondorus!

... ...
Nothing happened.
No, nothing.
Hey, you! Move it.
Uh, yes, ma'am!

As you wish.

The doors! They've opened!
Owwwww...
Are you okay, Marjorie?
I'm okay. Just a little worn out. But I did the job, right? It's open!
Yeah. But why couldn't I open it?!
You're a foreigner.
What's that supposed to mean?!
"People of the land," remember? The locals and the univir were the keys to opening the doors.
Wait a minute...Did you know I wouldn't be able to open them?
Well, you were just so gung-ho about the whole thing! We didn't want to deny you!
That, and because it was just funny!
Hey, that's mean!
Mean...but a real knee-slapper! Heh heh! Anyway, you can head on in now!
Indeed. Our work here.is done.
Thanks, guys! I couldn't have done it without you!
Hey, save the thanks for after you find Pia! Now get in there!
Yes, ma'am!

There's nowhere to go but in, so let's do this!

:siren: Music: Dragon Cave :siren:

...Well, can't waste any time worrying about that! I gotta find her!

Welcome to the Dragon Cave. It's surprisingly compact for a Definitely For Real Final Dungeon, but I'm sure as hell not complaining. Those motion lines are gusts of wind preventing me from going left, so I have to go right out of this room for now.

The enemies here are definitely a step up, but you're fine as long as you bum rush everything.

And that's what I do. The only reason to fight things in here at all is to make sure you're strong enough to handle the final boss, honestly.

Incidentally, how do you paralyze a lilypad?

The Fausts pretty much exist to get you to bring Para-Gone here. And trust me, you will need it later.

This statue in the next room looks vaguely familiar...

Incidentally, this dungeon has crop fields of all four seasons. You can tell which is which by the room title.

...and by the fact that the crop field rooms each have a statue of the boss from the corresponding seasonal dungeon.

And there's something carved on its stomach! "I'm hungry! I want to eat 4 Pink Turnips."
Uh, how can a statue be hungry?
Well, no time to worry about that! Time to find me some Pink Turnips!

So, remember when I bought oddly specific amounts of off-season crop seeds way back? That was for this dungeon. To get to the end, you'll need:

4 Pink Turnips
4 Cucumbers
6 Spinach
4 Turnips

Fortunately they're all things that grow quickly(or in the case of the cucumbers, have been growing in the summer dungeon for so long that getting 4 is trivial). I'm planting everything now - the Pink Turnips won't be ready until the 5th, but at this point I'm going to cut out 90% of the downtime. This close to the final boss, that time is better spent on making potions and equipment than on quests and dialogue.

So for now...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

Magical doors?
That's right. No matter how hard you pull, they'll never open!
Then how the heck am I supposed to get in?!
You push!

:v:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Haifisch posted:

Yeah. But why couldn't I open it?!
You're a foreigner.
What's that supposed to mean?!
"People of the land," remember? The locals and the univir were the keys to opening the doors.

I thought this was weird at the time but it's basically how Japan treats foreigners, no matter how long they live there.

Haifisch posted:

So, remember when I bought oddly specific amounts of off-season crop seeds way back? That was for this dungeon. To get to the end, you'll need:

4 Pink Turnips
4 Cucumbers
6 Spinach
4 Turnips

Fortunately they're all things that grow quickly(or in the case of the cucumbers, have been growing in the summer dungeon for so long that getting 4 is trivial). I'm planting everything now - the Pink Turnips won't be ready until the 5th, but at this point I'm going to cut out 90% of the downtime. This close to the final boss, that time is better spent on making potions and equipment than on quests and dialogue.

The farming gates almost killed the game for me, and it's really weird plot-wise. Your bride can spend months captured while you're waiting for the crops to grow.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Man, it would almost be worth marrying Marian just to have Marjorie as an in-law :allears:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

theshim posted:

Man, it would almost be worth marrying Marian just to have Marjorie as an in-law :allears:

On the flip-side, it explains that Marjorie lets Marian be a walking crime against humanity because she thinks it's hilarious.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
So wait, one of the game climaxes is that your fiance may or may not have been magically kidnapped into some ancient ruins that will only open with interspecies teamwork (tear down the wall between races) and if you're not prepared, you, the panicked groom, might just have to sit around for a a few days while you wait for statue offerings to grow?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
As a tribute to its Harvest Moon origins the final boss is farming.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
If you're lucky you might be able to buy one or more of the veggies at the general store, but it's a gamble what they stock each day.

It'd honestly be worse if you didn't cheat and look up everything you needed, because then you could go: Get to statue->see crops you need to grow->"aw, poo poo"->grow crops->pass statue->reach next statue with new crops you need to grow->":argh:"->repeat for two more statues.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm imagining all that work, only to find that Pia was just holed up in the women's baths preparing the perfect Newlyweds Bath, which happened to involve picking some herbs from next to the ruin entrance.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I'm imagining all that work, only to find that Pia was just holed up in the women's baths preparing the perfect Newlyweds Bath, which happened to involve picking some herbs catching some squid from next to the ruin entrance.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Are you squidding me?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, this is an unusual turn of events. Weirdly it seems to fit Pia, but I imagine it happens just the same with anyone?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Glazius posted:

Well, this is an unusual turn of events. Weirdly it seems to fit Pia, but I imagine it happens just the same with anyone?

It does. Raven and Pia at least have a way to get over to that remote little island. Don't ask me how they expect their Canon Boring Partner to get over there since nobody in this game seems to swim, ever.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

KataraniSword posted:

It does. Raven and Pia at least have a way to get over to that remote little island. Don't ask me how they expect their Canon Boring Partner to get over there since nobody in this game seems to swim, ever.
Do Carlos and Carmen have a boat? Or does the pair of siblings obsessed with fishing having a boat make too much sense for this game?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Age of Aquaticus

Music: Home Sweet Home

Welcome back. Link's learned the hard way that status effects don't heal when you go to bed. Don't ask me why that's the case, it just is.

It's also Karina's birthday today, but for some mysterious reason I'm having trouble giving a gently caress.

It wasn't a big deal, but Kuruna was mad. She wasn't happy with me practicing.
Oh, my, I think it was because you broke the tent...

And Zaid is still a moron.

That's nice, you're not getting anything. Seriously, all her likes are gemstones(except diamonds, which she hates. Presumably because her mom loves them.) and her loved items are jewelery. That's more than I feel like wasting just for birthday gift dialogue.

Cucumbers and turnips are ready. But the Pink Turnips are still growing.

Oh, this isn't for my daughter's birthday or anything!

"I-it's not like I care about my daughter or anything! Baka!"

Incidentally, you can try outright buying the crops for the Dragon Cave, but you're relying on luck for the right ones being in stock. Hazel only carries 5 or so different types of produce each day, and that includes things like bamboo shoots & the tree fruit you gather in the dungeons. Way easier to just buy the seeds.

On that note, I murder a couple yam plants to make way for glorious spinach.

And the Pink Turnip's coming in fast.

Fun fact: Even though Link's (engaged to be) married, the requests from the other girls don't go away. Even the obviously romantic ones. Nothing but your conscience is stopping you from being the town playboy.

Things I love: Mining, growing crops, not having anything interesting to show off.

OK, this is semi-interesting. I'd want one of these if I was taking the Sharance Labyrinth even remotely seriously - it shortens each floor to its entrance and the boss room, turning it from something only a literal insane person would attempt to mere tedious engame bullshit.

It's tomorrow(the days seriously go quick when you don't even have dialogue or quests to distract yourself with) and Carmen's got yesterday's news for us. Thanks, Carmen.

I hear they make a pretty good Wood and Rock and Flavored Radish and Miso Eggplant and Dried Sardines.

Shara gives me an apple pie, and I engage in the time honored tradition of giving it right back to her. God help us if characters in HM-alikes ever learn to keep track of which items they gave you.

This is why you didn't get any birthday presents from me, Karina. :colbert:

But hey, who cares about her, the Pink Turnips are in!

And what better way to celebrate than by making a sword of out poison spores, a giant fingernail, an insect hide, two smaller swords, and some gold?

I'm not a weaponologist but I don't think you'd actually get a very good weapon out of that.

But making this improbable weapon gave Link the skill to learn how to make even more weapons, including hanzo steel.

...along with higher tier farm tools. If Dwarf Fortress has taught me anything, it's that gold is actually a very good material for hammers because it's high-density. :pseudo:

Alright, back to the dungeon. A warp point appears to let you go to the island without needing a lilypad magic seed or water-walking shoes, but beware - you'll need one of those to get through the dungeon.

Deep thoughts: Where, exactly, is Link putting all these turnips?

Onward!

The next room has a narrow path that make it hard to just race past enemies. Still not a challenge, though.

And right afterwards is the room you need a lilypad or water shoes for. Luckily it transports you just as well when it's sealed. :v:

The "you cannot leave the room until beating all the enemies inside" trick would be a lot more threatening if I couldn't just Escape back to the dungeon entrance whenever I was in danger. It'd also help if the enemies were actual threats.

Statue #2 is our old friend Skelefang.

Uh...I don't think Cucumbers make good replacements for bones!

Moving right along since I had the Cucumbers already.

And we've looped back to the entrance. But with the impassable winds gone, a new path has opened up.

There's an immediate fork in the road, but the correct way to go is left.

Link has basic pattern recognition? :monocle:

Figures they'd want more than the other statues, with two mouths to feed!

No Spinach yet, so let's skip to tomorrow.

...when Hazel is conveniently selling Spinach. :toot:

That's good, because several months of growing yams nonstop has wrecked the growth potential of this soil. Spinach is supposed to grow in two days, and it's been that long without it even sprouting!

Finally, I never have to harvest a Cucumber again. :byewhore:

And here's something that would have been very nice to have much earlier. One full charge of the Rainbow Waterpot can water half the field at once!

Move aside, I have grocery store brand spinach!

This mining spot spits out almost nothing but delicious gold and platinum. It's also far enough away from monster spawns that you can mine in peace without murdering everything first, unlike most mining spots in other dungeons(:argh:).

The rest of the room just exists to annoy you with curvy pathways.

Man, Death Wall looks goofy as hell in statue form.

You can fix cracks in ice with Turnip...?

The orbs!

Apparently Link's just been carrying those around for the past year.

Translation: FINAL BOSS INCOMING.

Arrrrrrgggggh!

Don't come any closer!
Why?!
I...don't know! But I know I can't be with you!

Are you the one who kidnapped her?!
Indeed.
Give her back!
Impossible. Monsters and humans must not intermingle.
What are you talking about?
She would only be unhappy with a half-breed like you. You will only cause her pain and torment because of your vile form.
...I don't have to listen to this!
I shall grant her freedom. Freedom from you, Link!
...How do you know my name?!
That is why I took control of her mind and brought her here. I will keep her until she forgets you ever existed. Link, I order you to leave Sharance! Forget about her. Take your vile half-breed form back from whence it came!

I trust her!

As you wish.

Click here to watch the fight! Or don't, and just read the screenshot version with commentary. Whichever. Or do both. I'm not your boss.

Music: VS Aquaticus

Aquaticus problem one: He's constantly circling around the arena, making it hard to hit him and harder to do any meaningful combos or charge attacks. I generally favor the slower, harder-hitting weapons, but he's one case where it'd probably be easier to use the weaker-but-faster weapons. It doesn't make enough of a difference to stop me from kicking his rear end, though. :v:

The most annoying of his attacks is probably this bubble move, which both paralyzes you and temporarily puts you to sleep if you get hit by any of them. Make sure you bring lots of Para-Gone or a paralysis cure spell, or else you'll be in for a hell of a time.

Another of his attacks is just biting you. Simple, but effective.

Like every other boss, he turns red when his health gets low enough. This makes him even faster and more annoying to hit, and makes all his attacks hit hard enough that you'll be chugging lots of recovery potions.

Summoning these things is probably his least dangerous attack. They hang around for a bit and shoot weak lasers at you. Woo. :geno:

Aquaticus' own laser, on the other hand, is one of his most dangerous attacks - it's enough to take off over half of Link's HP in one go! On the bright side, it also levels up Link's Defense skill pretty easily. :v:

Him going back to his talking position is your cue to hug the borders of the arena. He does that right before summoning a whirlpool in the middle of the room, which does a lot of damage if you get dragged into it.

Keep it up long enough and he'll do his final attack, pushing Link to the bottom of the arena in the process. (People who watched the video may notice he said something different there. I'm not entirely sure what triggers the different lines, but I'm guessing it has something to do with how I was hugging the bottom wall at that part of the video vs hanging out near the top here.)

Stop, Link! If you don't stop then you'll...
I won't give up! I WILL NEVER GIVE UP!

You literally cannot die here. Just keep moving forward. It's symbolic or something.

Take a single swing at Aquaticus and it's over.

Music Love

I'm sorry, Link!
Pia, you don't need to apologize!
I mean, I love you and stuff...
But I didn't know if it was really okay that a monster and mermaid could be together!
I hurt you! And I'm sorry!
Don't worry about it.

I trust you completely!
And I've never stopped loving you!
Really? You're awesome-tastic!

What are YOU doing here?!
We have no reason to do battle now. I would like to propose a truce.

Music Mystery

A truce? Why?
I apologize for using you. I wanted the Sharance flowers to bloom...that tree uses the "bond beyond the races" to make its flowers bloom. And if the flowers do not blossom, this land will wither and die...but the univir and humans no longer lived together. So I decided to take action. It was you, Link, who gave me hope.
Why me?
I needed someone who would understand both univir and humans. I stole your memories and brought you to this land. It was a gamble to see if you would be the bridge between the two races...but you were able to heal old wounds. You even came here to challenge me over love! It appears that my intuition was indeed correct.
You...used me?
I regret putting you through this. Please forgive me.
I...don't know what to say.

"You're an rear end in a top hat who probably could have done this in a less complicated and life-altering way, for starters."

If you so choose, I can return your last memory and send you back to your homeland.

See? rear end in a top hat move for no reason. Why can't Link get the rest of his memories back and stay here? Other than setting up a stupid test for plot purposes, I mean.

I'm going to be That Person for a minute: What about the people left behind from Link's old life? Wouldn't they be worried sick, or mourning his assumed death? It's implied his homeland is too far away for him to just make a quick trip there and back to Sharance, but couldn't Aquaticus let us write a letter or something so they know Link's alive and happy, at the least?

It's me, I'm the person who overthinks "amnesiac is tossed into strange new world, grows to love it there, and decides to abandon their forgotten old life and stay when given the choice" plots.

Now the Sharance flowers will finally blossom.

Yeah. I bet we could both use a nice, long bath...

Music: Wedding

And with that, we're booted directly to the wedding.

Here's the wedding in video form as well, including the credits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9ZB8WHoMzw

These are definitely some...unique...wedding outfits.

Most of the characters have generic wedding dialogue, but your bride's friends and family obviously get a bit more detailed. You go in the same order no matter way, Pia just has the fortune of us hitting the inn first.

Congratulations! Just remember to keep practicing, OK?
Thank you! Baths are still important!
Ah, that's not what I was talking about!
They've still got it.

Call me Mom.
What?
Pia, your home will always be our home. That will never change.
Come back any time. Pia.
OK...Thanks...Mom.

And now it's nothing but generic dialogue. Most of these are one sentence plus "congratulations!". :effort:

You know, this is a really weird wedding setup. Why are we walking around town greeting people in small groups? Other than making it more obvious that the devs really wanted us to marry Shara, that is. (If you haven't watched the video, well, you'll see by the end. :v:)

I'm sure there will be zero fighting as long as we never let Pia see us making sashimi.

She wants to tell you that she wishes you the best.

Have a happy life, right?

Jeez Evelyn, let your family speak for themselves.

:kimchi:

I'd tell Hazel to settle the gently caress down, but it does only take three weeks post-marriage for your wife to get pregnant...

Why yes, they did make Shara's family last, in the spot full of flowers, which is Shara's favorite spot. What do you mean nobody wants to marry Shara???

And now, on to the actual ceremony. Which is only attended by Shara and Monica, and officiated by Wells. Thanks, entire rest of town.

in sickness and in health, until death do you part?
I do.
Pia, do you take this man as your husband, to love forever, in sickness and in health, until death do you part?
I do!
Wonderful! May you have the blessing of the land and the trees.

Remember: You, the viewing audience, are the ones responsible for this.

Incidentally, here are the 'wacky' names from the other bachelorettes:

Shara, Karina, Sofia, Raven, Daria - Woolykins (:barf:)
Collette - Dumpling
Marian - Guinea Pig (:stonk:)
Sakuya - Sweet Stuff
Carmen - Minnow

Kuruna has no wacky names at all. You get the boring nickname choices of Dear, Honey, and Sweetie.

Oh, OK then. I wanted to see a wooly fish.
I wouldn't be able to swim, because I'd absorb all of the water.
I think that life with you will be tons of fun, Fishy! Let's be together forever, Fishy!
Yes. Of course!

Once you're married, your wife will give you food(technically. Sakyua will give you Failed Dishes and Super Fails in her rotation, and Shara gives you a bunch of flowers because of course she does) every day. In Pia's case, she gives you squid dishes. Please try to contain your surprise.

Why...?

Your wife also gets new dialogue post-marriage. You'd think Link would have stopped questioning Pia and baths by now, but nope!

So now's probably a good time to talk about the end of this LP. There's a bit more to do after getting married, but I have some concrete goals in mind:

1)See one child born. I specify the number because you can have up to three children. Considering it takes three weeks for your wife to get pregnant and another three for her to give birth, that's way more time than I feel like investing to get three kids.
2)Finish the postgame only bulletin board quests. It's really only one questline and it goes fast, but it involves Gaius, so it's time well-spent.
3)See all of the festivals at least once. This one will take care of itself as I wait on the kid to be born.

To fill in some of the deadtime I'll be doing the Sharance Labyrinth, but I don't hate myself enough to get all the way to the end. It's just a parade of buffed-up old bosses from RF1 and 2, with another Aquaticus fight at the very end.

Marrying Pia doesn't give us free baths, or even discounted baths. I mean, 300 gold is nothing by now, but still.

This isn't even the highest tier of farm tools. By the time you hit platinum-tier tools, you won't even need them anymore.

I'm going to be continuing my trend of having the days go by insanely quick, since, well, there's not much else to show now. Today was so boring new dialogue from Blaise made the cut.

Huh? Not apples to apples?
Huh...?

:allears:

(Your wife can comment on the furniture in your house. Which in my case is just some stuffed animals monsters off in a corner.)

And now to end this overly-long update.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Huh, in an old Genesis game called Crusader of Centy (or Soleil in Europe) at some point you need to fight Leviathan, a sort of water dragon godlike being, and it ends up he was just testing you (except instead of kidnapping your fiance he makes an image of your mom that you need to avoid hitting while fighting him, also no forcing amnesia on you). Kinda similar, except Leviathan looks much less lovely in the end.

e: oh man, now that I think about it, CoC/Soleil also touches on themes of bigotry/monsters not being as bad as you'd originally thought and stuff

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Aquaticus! :argh:
What. A. Dick.

That is all.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Last Transmission posted:

Aquaticus! :argh:
What. A. Dick.

That is all.

I bet he is the one who sends Hurricanes too.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Marjorie is the real hero here.

Also Aquaticus is a pretty on the nose name for your Water God Dragon, but after Terrable and Firesome it's a real step up.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Man, Aquaticus' entire logic for kidnapping Pia barely makes sense considering she's a mermaid, but it'd be actively contradictory if Link married Raven since she's a phoenix. Amazing.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dragonatrix posted:

Man, Aquaticus' entire logic for kidnapping Pia barely makes sense considering she's a mermaid, but it'd be actively contradictory if Link married Raven since she's a phoenix. Amazing.
Wait, do you mean someone might not want to marry Shara? What is this strange alternate reality I find myself in?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, really, (and boy it pains me to say this) Pia and Raven shouldn't be in the game. At least not in the human city. It goes against the whole concept of the plot.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dragonatrix posted:

Not even gods know Raven's secret. :smith:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Yeah, really, (and boy it pains me to say this) Pia and Raven shouldn't be in the game. At least not in the human city. It goes against the whole concept of the plot.

That just means that the plot is stupid :colbert:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RabidWeasel posted:

That just means that the plot is stupid :colbert:

True. To compensate us for this bad plot they should make a side-game chronicling Pia's war on the Squidiverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Isn't one of Sofia's nicknames for you "Garbage"?

Edit: Must've been misremembering, then! It's been years since I played the game.

dancingbears fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 20, 2018

• Locked thread