Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Similarly
https://www.wired.com/2009/12/fail_duke_nukem/
(This article is almost ten years old)
You could pretty much replace George Broussard with Chris Roberts and Duke Nukem Forever with Star Citizen and it's the same thing. The article only diverges in the last half because at that point in time the company went out of business so there were all kinds of things known about the money issues and employee problems and plenty of people to talk about them. We aren't at that point yet.

quote:

Other game developers envied the freedom that Broussard and Miller had, at least at first. Developers and their publishers, indeed, are often at war. It’s like many suits-versus-creatives relationships: Developers want to make their product superb, and the publishers just want it on the shelves as soon as possible. If the game starts getting delayed, it’s the publisher that cracks the whip. Broussard and Miller were free to thumb their noses at this entire system. Indeed, they even posted gleeful rants online about the evil of publishers and their deadlines. “When it’s done” became their defiant reply whenever someone asked when Duke Nukem Forever would be finished.

Seeing Zealots lob the “when it’s done” defense is a real pet peeve. It springs from Roberts own entitlement and finds a hearty defense from his enabling army.

The implication that Roberts is entitled to as much public subsidy as it takes to overcome his own proven incompetence and contempt for constraint is bad enough. That ever and ever more funding must come without oversight or backer (Publisher) accountability because “have YOU made a Quadruple A game before?!” or (insert irrelevant defense here) makes it all the more insufferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

G0RF posted:

Seeing Zealots lob the “when it’s done” defense is a real pet peeve. It springs from Roberts own entitlement and finds a hearty defense from his enabling army.

The implication that Roberts is entitled to as much public subsidy as it takes to overcome his own proven incompetence and contempt for constraint is bad enough. That ever and ever more funding must come without oversight or backer (Publisher) accountability because “have YOU made a Quadruple A game before?!” or (insert irrelevant defense here) makes it all the more insufferable.

"When it's done", "it takes time", "it's an ALPHA", all get funnier the longer this shitshow goes on

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/CliffordakaMiku/status/985560545834266624

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Similarly

You could pretty much replace George Broussard with Chris Roberts and Duke Nukem Forever with Star Citizen and it's the same thing. The article only diverges in the last half because at that point in time the company went out of business so there were all kinds of things known about the money issues and employee problems and plenty of people to talk about them. We aren't at that point yet.

The similarities are uncanny

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

McGiggins posted:

How did they go out of business if he still had an assload of cash?

Am i missing something?

They had an assload of cash. And then suddenly they didn't and it's time to go out of business. Much like everything else in these lovely operations, accurate money tracking is cobbled together poo poo. Also, no company is going to willingly tell outsiders that they are starting to run into money problems, at least until they can't hide it anymore/everything fails.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Assassins Creed 3 looks really good.

Seriously, this is pretty much how all the snow areas look.

Frank_Leroux
Mar 24, 2018

G0RF posted:

The thing is, the whole Roberts/Star Citizen thing is even worse than the Duke Nukem Forever fiasco. Whatever you might think of Broussard's behavior, the fact remains that the reason that 3D Realms was so lousy with cash was because they had shipped a completed product and had it sell like gangbusters. Yes, they pissed that cash away chasing a Platonic ideal of a first-person shooter, but the money itself was gotten through honest trade.

What has RSI/CIG/whatever actually DONE to deserve the mountain of cash it's received? It's the Wimpy of developers, always promising to publish something Tuesday for a hamburger bit of cash today.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Frank_Leroux posted:

What has RSI/CIG/whatever actually DONE to deserve the mountain of cash it's received?

This is the most central question regarding Star Citizen and more specifically, Chris Roberts. Gamers are notorious for holding devs' feet to the fire for the smallest infraction, the most mild exaggeration, the most innocent mistake, the slightest variance from a promise.

But not Chris Roberts. A guy whose defining characteristic was sort of making an OK at best game decades ago. HE is the one who gets infinite regard, infinite free chances, and infinite blind faith, even though he's a colossal piece of poo poo.

Where's the hatred handed out to Molyneux, Garriott, Broussard, or Romero? Where is that righteous indignation when it comes to Chris Roberts, who embodies all of the worst traits of those developers, who has none of the talent, and who, unlike them, built his fake empire on a mountain of stolen cash instead of earned capital?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The top 5 SC streamers are all giving away free ships, everyone hop in to win

!raffle

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

!raffle

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

RagnarokZ posted:

Assassins Creed 3 looks really good.

Seriously, this is pretty much how all the snow areas look.

I sense another refactoring coming.
Crobbear has new fuel for his dreams.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Free Bugs!

---

Also lots of people are still being teleported into space by their mobiglass. And there are various reports of twisty-men teleport-moving around Port Jankistar. Not sure if they've always done that though.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ummm seems any form of actual persistence other than a number going up is loving up the game catastrophically cant wait to see what happens when they add loving player housing at the end of the year lol

Frank_Leroux
Mar 24, 2018

Seriously, HOW?

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

This is the most central question regarding Star Citizen and more specifically, Chris Roberts. Gamers are notorious for holding devs' feet to the fire for the smallest infraction, the most mild exaggeration, the most innocent mistake, the slightest variance from a promise.

But not Chris Roberts. A guy whose defining characteristic was sort of making an OK at best game decades ago. HE is the one who gets infinite regard, infinite free chances, and infinite blind faith, even though he's a colossal piece of poo poo.

Where's the hatred handed out to Molyneux, Garriott, Broussard, or Romero? Where is that righteous indignation when it comes to Chris Roberts, who embodies all of the worst traits of those developers, who has none of the talent, and who, unlike them, built his fake empire on a mountain of stolen cash instead of earned capital?

The bigger the investment made in SC the more of a fool you look if Chris is a complete fraud. Most people I've come across (on the net, everyone I know IRL thinks I'm deranged to follow SC the way I do) who haven't put any money in think SC is a scam or at best in development hell and won't release.

I've wondered myself what could open the eyes of the citizens and I think it'd be a critical reaction like the one No Man's Sky got when it released. With an overall negative impression by influencial critics and gamers and they'd know the game is BS.

The Citizens want the world to see SC through their eyes. They need the confirmation that they haven't been made fools of by CiG.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Peter.Quint posted:

The bigger the investment made in SC the more of a fool you look if Chris is a complete fraud. Most people I've come across (on the net, everyone I know IRL thinks I'm deranged to follow SC the way I do) who haven't put any money in think SC is a scam or at best in development hell and won't release.

I've wondered myself what could open the eyes of the citizens and I think it'd be a critical reaction like the one No Man's Sky got when it released. With an overall negative impression by influencial critics and gamers and they'd know the game is BS.

The Citizens want the world to see SC through their eyes. They need the confirmation that they haven't been made fools of by CiG.

But they have been made fools. :negative:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

What SurfaceDetail says is one part, I think the other is precisely that Clown Robbers didn't have his name on recently released failures. He may have scammed Microsoft with Freelancer money to be spent on his pet movie and had to be booted off the project by the publisher, but the game came out and was good (just not even nearly what he promised). Few people care enough to check the actual history of Freelancer and Chris' lies. The games that were made by with him before are even older an they were well enough received so they don't count against his reputation.

Meanwhile Molyneux' games have been falling well short of his lofty promises for over a decade before he was publicly described as a liar by the gaming press. For all his faults he's also someone who generally accepted his own responsibility in his games' failures. Garriott has a trail of failed, abandoned and otherwised hosed up projects ever since UO. Broussard is directly tied to DNF's crash which unraveled over so many years, no one can ignore that. And Romero, well Romero made you his bitch a long time ago - but after he delivered Daikatana as a substandard product he basically disappeared and went on to make mobile games or something - so the last impression was "Romero the failure".

Meanwhile Chris doesn't have any such blatantly obvious flops with his name on them, especially not recent ones. Despite the parallels to other games which eventually failed like Firefall and DNF, this allows CIG and the cultists to point to his "flawless" record and pretend everything is fine (for now) - the game is just not done but it will obviously be perfect when it is, just like all his previous games!

orcane fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 15, 2018

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
I had some idle time and finally circled back to sample the Space Bro Show Virtual Captain popped into on my phone.

I actually think Mitauchi is alright, and early on there were some lucid discussions about just what a big con the whole survey might have been (and yes, you’re right and its by design, my dudes!) but eventually discussions circled back to LTI-gate. Mitauchi rightfully wants CIG to define what LTI means now that you can’t lose your ships (it means they were using FUD marketing tactics from the start to upsell you on a meaningless premium macrotransaction, bro).

The above stuff was interesting as a barometer reading of some random hardcore longtimers. Discussions about CIG’s old money vs. new money calculus, about market saturation and ship exhaustion are overdue in the community...

But then... yeesh! Hearing these guys spend huge blocks of timing theorycrafting their preferred forms of in-game insurance on and on and on really was just mindmush. Mitauchi’s comment in the middle of it “I don’t want this to turn into Paperwork Citizen” was the bright spot but it was during a huge theorycraft about Paperwork Citizen that went on and on and on.

I don’t understand why they don’t understand this kind of gobbledegook is garbage - it’s garbage marketing, garbage design and garbage as livestream topic. CIG obviously owns a lot of the blame for how they’ve built a massive bureaucratic language around ship sales, CCU, Melt, LTI blah blah... But anybody checking out the stream who isn’t already a total goner is going to say “that game sounds boring as hell” and those who ARE in the fold are going to argue about it like bureaucrats over some wonk legislation that matters not one whit to anybody who actually likes gaming.

Meanwhile, Saurus was SPICY on Friday about framerate disparities between PU and PTU and carped on it to Cristian at CIG about it. :five: for bein’ real, yo.

Saurus: “Every time I feel ‘they finally did it! frames are here!’... and then I’m sorely disappointed.”

Cristian in chat: “PTU was open to everyone. What else can we do?”

I don’t even know why framerates matter when the AI combat is so dull no matter the speed. In a way the low framerate is a tender mercy because it disguises the crap combat problem a little better. Be thankful!

So good - I hope they have LTI!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 15, 2018

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Similarly

Wow, it's like a glimpse into the future... from the past!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

"Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it. Those who do study history are doomed to watch Chris Roberts repeat it."*

*source: Ortwin

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

Change the color balance a bit and it turns into Deus Ex.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

The collision between CIGs marketing of "this game is so done people can live in the verse now! Why let's reminisce about all the things we've already done!" and the reality of the user experience is ... a thing.

It goes against the narrative of the sycophants and CIGs marketing.

People have to be attracted to the game to keep paying money. Preferably new blood.

People can't play the game because it's mostly broken.

Just got to keep on selling the marketing and lies.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:thunk:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Raskolnikov posted:

But they have been made fools. :negative:

They're merely in a prison of their own sins.

Frank_Leroux
Mar 24, 2018

McGiggins posted:

How did they go out of business if he still had an assload of cash?

Am i missing something?

“How did you go bankrupt?"
"Two ways. Gradually, then suddenly.”

― Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Frank_Leroux posted:

“How did you go bankrupt?"
"Two ways. Gradually, then suddenly.”

― Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises

Therefore... bullfighting and martini’s? (Or is that a different book. I can’t remember)

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Even the "leakers" are marketing lies. With the layers of deception at CIG going as deep as they are, I'm amazed that they went with a free-fly weekend at all. Keeping the reality of Star Citizen from the light of day as long as possible seems to be their best plan. They must really need that fresh infusion of cash.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

How can it be halfway when Ben Lesnick Developer has played & completed the entire game... ? :thunk:

Frank_Leroux
Mar 24, 2018

kordansk posted:

Therefore... bullfighting and martini’s? (Or is that a different book. I can’t remember)

Well...it is Hemingway, so probably yes to both no matter which book you're talking about...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

3.0 Jesus Patch posted:

How can it be halfway when Ben Lesnick Developer has played & completed the entire game... ? :thunk:

Well at the time, the entire game consisted of the splash/loading screen.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

http://archive.is/Da7hX

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/durzax739/status/984790776474464256
https://twitter.com/durzax739/status/985656879845183488
https://twitter.com/durzax739/status/985659482033348608

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

I'm in love with a bird-person.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
Bird things are cool
Really, most SC poo poo is cool. Ship designs and such
So they gonna waste away all those cool ideas on game that's never gonna happen

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I read the wired article about dnf. Interesting stuff. What’s the deal with the other game. The one with the two million dollar bus.