Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

GrandpaPants posted:

That's because Bill Sienkiewicz is timeless.

Yeah hopefully pretty well any artist worth a drat had their mind blown by him at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Would context somehow make this poo poo badass?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

ecavalli posted:

It's a good webcomic, that alone is pretty badass.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ecavalli posted:

It's a funny gag.

Spanish Matlock posted:

It's a good webcomic, that alone is pretty badass.

What's the comic?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Skwirl posted:

It's a funny gag.

What's the comic?

Trixie Slaugtheraxe for President

Context: That is an Impossible One, a being so bizzare that it can't exist. When a sentient being sees one, they realize this, and it ceases to exist.

They are nearly extinct, so they have come up with a plan to take over the world by dosing people with hallucinogens that eventually render them permanently insane. This will allow them to be seen, as it gives the viewer the plausible deniability that they might just be a hallucination.

This one has just happened upon Our Currently-Drugged Heroes as they're trying to escape.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 14, 2018

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

Trixie Slaugtheraxe for President

Context: That is an Impossible One, a being so bizzare that it can't exist. When a sentient being sees one, they realize this, and it ceases to exist.

They are nearly extinct, so they have come up with a plan to take over the world by dosing people with hallucinogens that eventually render the victims permanently insane. This will allow them to be seen, as it gives the viewer the plausible deniability that they might just be a hallucination.

This one has just happened upon Our Currently-Drugged Heroes as they're trying to escape.

Alright, I’m on board.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Still not the weirdest comic I've ever read, web or otherwise.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
That summary sounds like some Hitmen for Destiny level poo poo.

e: it's by the same guy. :v:

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

YggiDee posted:

That summary sounds like some Hitmen for Destiny level poo poo.

e: it's by the same guy. :v:

Ha, more like Accidental Space Spy.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I do love that that guy has such a style that his work is instantly identifiable just by trying to explain it.

His art exists, but his writing is fascinating. Accidental Space Spy in particular did some really cool alien civilization building.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012
From Orion #24 by Walter Simonson:

Orion has spent most of this arc hunting down Arnicus Wolfram, a centuries-old man who had recently captured Orion, destroyed his eyes and tortured him for 7 months while draining him of his powers to regain his youth. Arnicus is now attempting to lay a trap for Orion by time-traveling back to the Marshall Islands on Nov. 1st, 1952:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://i.imgur.com/XIAywKA.gifv

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
holy loving poo poo

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Samuringa posted:

holy loving poo poo

Walt Simonson's Orion run was really loving good. I finally sat down a few months ago and read it all as well. That last story arc is a bit abrupt but that scene is an impressive climax.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I love that whole sequence, backward baseball cap and wraparound shades and all.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I think the clothing unironically adds to the whole thing

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It's good to see Orion the Thinker. I mean, I know that his battle prowess and his inherent rage are big things with him. But it's nice to see more than that. He's his father's son, now. Both of them, really.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 15, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Horrible Taste posted:

From Orion #24 by Walter Simonson:

:words:

Pfft, you expect me to read all those words?
Reads all those words
Oh my God I am so happy I read all those words :hellyeah:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Simonson's Orion did a really good job of making Orion passionate, rather than just stupidly angry.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

He's so angry in this comic that he's passed through to the other side, and is very calm now.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Note to self, under no circumstances should anybody ever gently caress with Orion

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Note to self, under no circumstances should anybody ever gently caress with Orion

When he was in the JLA, he set himself on fire once (I think he used gasoline), just to make life miserable for the people he was fighting.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

My favorite part of the page is that the basic punctuation mark used is !

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

VanSandman posted:

That was how one should generally letter Jack Kirby: exclamation marks that had implied exponents.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

I don't know if I should rasturbate this and cover one entire wall with this image, tattoo this on my body, or by a van and have it painted on.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I don't know if I should rasturbate this and cover one entire wall with this image, tattoo this on my body, or by a van and have it painted on.

The answer is "yes."

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Vans are exclusively for Frank Frazetta and Boris Vallejo, pal.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I think we add Kirby to that list.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I agree. I don't want that painted on the side of my van.

I want it to be my van.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Proteus Jones posted:

Where I live, Kirby on the side of a van means it's a plumber. (Local company's mascot is a blue Hulk holding a pipe wrench)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Esad Ribic is on that list now, especially given the thread title

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

VanSandman posted:

This is God War. Gods fighting, gods dying. This is booming, strong voices all over the place, especially in the narration. Not necessarily gruff, but loud. We are in full mythology territory, where Good is Good, Evil is Evil and everything sounds like a prophecy. Not to say it lacks character depth, of course. Take the ever-reposted "I AM the storm." of Darkseid to a regular dude. Or that Orion bit just above. Sure, he's not all ! there, but there's still that quality in the text.

It's all 'real', all earnest. This stuff is not a joke, or being silly. How can I put it....the character Dr.Orpheous is a parody of Dr.Strange. When Orpheous says things, it's funny and ridiculous. When Strange is saying stuff, it's serious and how he is, given what he's always dealing with, even when he's being more casual.

This is too many words on it, perhaps. Part of me thinks "You could probably write a book on this sort of thing." Part of me wonders if there already IS one.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 17, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Earnestness is under-rated and under-used in this day and age.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Phy posted:

Where I live, Kirby on the side of a van means it's a plumber. (Local company's mascot is a blue Hulk holding a pipe wrench)

After reading this post I did a GIS for Kirby Van to see if anyone got a decal job done on their van of the video game character and am now disappointed.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Proteus Jones posted:

And Butch Gulce.

Thor: God of Thunder #11

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

smashpro1 posted:

And Butch Gulce.

Thor: God of Thunder #11

The fact that Thor has two hammers and is not smashing them together is a total missed opportunity imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Alacron posted:

The fact that Thor has two hammers and is not smashing them together is a total missed opportunity imo.

He did that on the previous page.