Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I remember when it was a :tinfoil: conspiracy to say that the US had hundreds of troops in Syria. Now they're just there, and there to stay.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

considering theyre there now as a preventative measure to stop turkey from crushing the pkk, fine with me

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

considering theyre there now as a preventative measure to stop turkey from crushing the pkk, fine with me

cant tell if sarcasm

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

im not really sure WHY the us still cares about defending the pkk though, aside for trying to look like theyre not running. ISIS is dead and pkk are commies who have no real loyalty to the US aside for how many guns we can give them.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

ypg, pkk, whatever

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

im not really sure WHY the us still cares about defending the pkk though, aside for trying to look like theyre not running. ISIS is dead and pkk are commies who have no real loyalty to the US aside for how many guns we can give them.

Because Trump really, really does not like being told by Erdogan he has to do something or else.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
UK, US, and France absolutely want to topple Assad, how could you possibly think that US forces are there to defend the YPG?

I mean, I'm glad the YPG has weapons and has been relatively successful, but the West doesn't actually give a poo poo about them (see: NATO member Turkey murdering them without a peep from the West)

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

if the us, france and uk want to topple assad they sure arent trying very hard

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

if the us, france and uk want to topple assad they sure arent trying very hard

It's the Jeb! of foreign policy

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

having 2000 troops sitting twiddling their thumbs in kurdish territory and cruise bombing 4 empty buildings a week after trump tried to withdraw everyone out of syria is some weak regime change, but maybe bush spoiled me

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
while Turkey rampages through the north with zero opposition

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

yes because the US was definitely happy with that :thunk:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

cnn wants more bombs
https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/15/opinions/presidential-weekly-briefing-syria-assessment-vinograd/index.html

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

having 2000 troops sitting twiddling their thumbs in kurdish territory and cruise bombing 4 empty buildings a week after trump tried to withdraw everyone out of syria is some weak regime change, but maybe bush spoiled me
russia may be the main reason that syria hasn't turned into a libyan 'humanitarian intervention'

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

can I suggest a few targets?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

comedyblissoption posted:

russia may be the main reason that syria hasn't turned into a libyan 'humanitarian intervention'

spell out how Syria is doing well because of Russian interventions?

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

according to sputnik, the us is helping the pkk in order to secure their natural resources. untrustworthy source, but the most logical reason i've heard for why trump is helping his ideological opposite.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

comedyblissoption posted:

the internet research agency has logged on

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
There is also a whole generation of military officers who spent time in Iraq with the Kurds being the only people not actively hunting them and they might appreciate that. It seems like foreign policy is being strongly dictated by the military generals at this moment.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

LinYutang posted:

the internet research agency has logged on

what a dumb post

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Putin carpet bombing a Middle Eastern country to "fight terror" is extremely good, because

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Look up what carpet bombing means.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Look up what carpet bombing means.

Indiscriminate saturation bombing, which they are doing?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bip Roberts posted:

Indiscriminate saturation bombing, which they are doing?

They aren't dropping enough bombs to do saturation bombing. The Russians are using a lot of dumb munitions, but they're not just blanketing entire areas with explosives. If the Russians were carpet bombing anything you'd know it.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I guess sometimes they aim for the hospitals

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

LinYutang posted:

Putin carpet bombing a Middle Eastern country to "fight terror" is extremely good, because

otoh america bombing a middle eastern country to "fight terror" is extremely good, because

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

otoh america bombing a middle eastern country to "fight terror" is extremely good, because

whoa the posters in this thread with this popular opinion are super owned

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

you'd think the same people who wail about foreign meddling would show consistency!

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

LinYutang posted:

you'd think the same people who wail about foreign meddling would show consistency!

:thunk:

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

US has no real attachment to the Kurds long-term. They don't really give a poo poo about their political project or domestic politics, so long as they 1) continue to fight remnants of ISIS 2) get along with each other and keep the oil flowing 3) stand in the way of a Iranian-Hezbollah corridor. Only reason the Turks haven't rolled in tanks throughout the rest of Rojava is because US troops are there.

As for intervening against Assad earlier and more decisive - it probably would have led to a hapless government backed by the West and led by Syrian expat moderates who'd lose control of governance to the Islamist forces. Probably would fracture Syria into ISIS, moderate, Islamist/turkish-backed forces, and Kurds and the situation would still be a giant clusterfuck.

KaptainKrunk has issued a correction as of 22:44 on Apr 15, 2018

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

i support western intervention against assad 😎

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

LinYutang posted:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LinYutang posted:

sir, this is not the bad opinions thread

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ISIS still controls a sliver of territory along the Iraqi border and the Euphrates, which the YPG could have easily taken months ago. It's almost as if they're being left alone to maintain the illusion of an unfinished American mission :thunk:

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

fighting fascist authoritarians like Assad is good and consistent, actually

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fight fasces with fasces

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

LinYutang posted:

it must be weird to be a genuine neocon after being so thoroughly discredited by every event of the last 20 years

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

LinYutang posted:

How is Assad fascist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

it must be weird to be a genuine neocon after being so thoroughly discredited by every event of the last 20 years

Even if that were the case, it's not weirder than "leftists" supporting the fascists against communist guerrillas