Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Agent355 posted:

Oh I enjoyed the conversation before the edition wars showed up.
When did this happen? One guy said you were edition warring, but nobody's actually done any edition warring. Unless you're taking what I said as edition warring, in which case lol no D&D's stat array has been broken since day 1.

e: It didn't really matter until 3e though.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Agent355 posted:

Oh I enjoyed the conversation before the edition wars showed up. I don't really understand your perspective on character building. I think it's fundamentally flawed to want to be able to make 'any' character since not 'any' character really has a valid spot in a narrative. Especially when its a cooperative narrative where one person shouldn't be stealing the spotlight.

It's really only the tired old arguments people throw out about how because of X, Y, Z problems that you (general you) should hate 5e or 4e or w/e your preferred system is. Or how there is this other system that would totally suit you better because of people's own perceived ideas about what you enjoy. I mean I've played thousands of hours of tabletop games on roll20 alone, I can't accurately portray the vast array of aspects I enjoy about all the various systems or whether its the system or the table that makes a game fun. People in this thread are particularly prone to making GBS threads the place up with absolutes on editions I find.

That's fair. For what it's worth, I don't understand your perspective on character building either, so it's ships in the night :)

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I don't think it's so much that anybody wants to build a character who is good at everything, but rather, people are objecting to the idea that for some reason it's okay for one class to be arbitrarily good at these three things but another class shouldn't hope to be good at more than one thing.

Interesting characters are defined by their flaws, sure, but also their strengths. "Fighter who is secretly a bookish nerd" is way more interesting than, "Fighter who is also clumsy" even though the first concept can include the second.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
It's not edition warring, there is no edition of D&D where being being a charismatic fighter doesn't mean that you are taking resources away from being actually good at fighting.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Mendrian posted:

I don't think it's so much that anybody wants to build a character who is good at everything, but rather, people are objecting to the idea that for some reason it's okay for one class to be arbitrarily good at these three things but another class shouldn't hope to be good at more than one thing.

Interesting characters are defined by their flaws, sure, but also their strengths. "Fighter who is secretly a bookish nerd" is way more interesting than, "Fighter who is also clumsy" even though the first concept can include the second.

Yeah. There are problems with anchoring everything to stats but IMO they aren't that important. You can be a bookish nerd without stats, regular old people can be bookish nerds. To be a wizard and study history is farther than bookish nerd.

I'd like to see more class parity and variance within each classes but it's also not such a massive problem, to me, that I feel the need to address it beyond wizards existing.

Basically I think there is more than ample room to make a character you would find interesting within the system. You can think of chracters that would have to sacrifice power to fit within the system and thats fine too IMO, I don't give a toss that you hit 5% less often because you had to use a 16 in int instead of str to fit your character concept. It's important that everybody feel good and useful inside their niche in the party and that can be accomplished with a 5% lower accuracy just fine.

I don't think it's nessecarily wrong to state that you can't make X character in DnD, there are obvious examples where that is objectively true. It's just that I'm okay with those cases and many of the other cases are more accurately described as 'you can't make this character in DnD without sacrificing something' which I'm also just fine with.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The thread tends to be pretty good when arguments like this don't pop up.

In other news we got some preview of Mordenkainen's tome of foes from Fantasy grounds from some sceenshots. Also the chapter layout.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2018/04/14/preview-mordenkainen-tome-of-foes-from-fantasy-grounds/

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 15, 2018

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Dungeons and Dragons: The Fifth One is a crunchy game where combat is anchored into an overwhelming portion of the ruleset, so utilizing my system mastery I make characters that are good at that, with some attention paid to the most common out-of-combat challenges in so far as how they intersect with mechanics.

I find this works best because you can't rely on the DM or the other players being good. Sometimes the DM will gently caress up encounter balance, sometimes the other players will try to play concepts that just don't work all that well at the table and throw off the DM's expectations of the party's competence (I recently had a game where neither the Bard nor the Cleric took Healing Word "because it didn't fit their concept"), or sometimes everyone will gently caress up and get into fights they shouldn't or make fights harder than they should be (cue the aforementioned low WIS melee cleric spending 4 out of his 6 turns casting Cure Wounds on the downed sorcerer to keep him from dying, instead of hitting things at least), or sometimes :xcom: moments will just happen. I like being able to handle these situations.

I also prefer if my combat playtime isn't absolutely mindless, which is why I avoid ranged martials even if they work well at their jobs when optimized.

Does this limit my roleplaying? Well, it puts some boundaries on the range of characters I can reasonably play, but in the first place D&D is a game that puts you under some fairly strict limits on what you can do when you choose to interact with the mechanics, so it's like whatever. When we're just freeform RPing I can do that just as well as anyone else, and it's honestly better to do the RP freeform than try to utilize D&Ds social interaction or exploration rules. "The three pillars" is such a loving joke when 70% of the book is combat.

Not emptyquoting.

For example, if I've got a cool story idea for a charismatic healer type... I'm not going to build a cleric with high CHA when they're so reliant on WIS, CON, and STR/DEX. I'm going to build a CHA spellcaster like a Divine Soul Sorceror or Celestial Pact Warlock or a Lore Bard that steals a bunch of cleric spells, because that will probably result in a more capable character that matches my initial concept.

Or, building in the other direction, if I really want to play a Cleric, then I'm going to build out the character mechanically first -- picking a domain whose abilities interests me, and then choosing ability scores, race, background, etc. that synergize with Clerics and that domain. And then I'd build out the character and the roleplay from that result.

Building inside-out or outside-in, either way can be fine, and either way can be done while putting effort into both optimization and roleplay.

And that's just focusing on build choices. Going back to the example that kicked this off, I see no reason to start sounding the alarm bells over a Rogue that actually understands that the rules-as-written allow them to get a second sneak attack by using their reaction (either Haste, Action Surge, or attack of opportunity). In isolation, that's a good thing. I want to play with people who try their best to understand their abilities and the rules. It only becomes a problem if they're argumentative and immature about it. Or, if they're only engaging in combat mechanics and not the RP side of things, then that's a separate issue to discuss -- maybe you can find better ways to pull them in over time, or maybe they're not a great fit for your particular game.

For me, D&D-like TTRPGs are not fun as a zero-RP tactical combat wargame -- I'd rather play a board game or video game for that. It's not fun as a Mary Sue who's the smartest wisest most liked guy who's also great at both magic and fightermans, because it's a group game that should allow niches for each to shine. And it's not fun when your supposedly competent level 9 rogue misses 20% more often because you've only got 14 DEX because you took the Linguist and Keen Mind feats instead, or your spellcaster struggles to do much because the spells they picked are thematically appropriate but ineffective.

Again, that's my taste. People can play however they want. But I think the pendulum has generally swung much further into the "RP over optimization" side of things these days, and I don't understand why people view them as mutually exclusive. The general sense I get is that there's a great many people for whom "optimization" is a four letter word.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Agent355 posted:

Legitimately sorry that this has all of a sudden become edition wars. I'm outie, this is such a tired argument.

what an amazing display of posting jiu jitsu, invoking something that didn't happen, using it to duck out of the argument, and then returning as if it never happened

extremely powerful technique

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Serf posted:

what an amazing display of posting jiu jitsu, invoking something that didn't happen, using it to duck out of the argument, and then returning as if it never happened

extremely powerful technique
I liked the bit where they took "charismatic character who's not a charisma based caster" to mean a fighter with 20s in all mental stats and suddenly that's what the conversation was about.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Agent355 posted:

Basically I think there is more than ample room to make a character you would find interesting within the system. You can think of chracters that would have to sacrifice power to fit within the system and thats fine too IMO, I don't give a toss that you hit 5% less often because you had to use a 16 in int instead of str to fit your character concept. It's important that everybody feel good and useful inside their niche in the party and that can be accomplished with a 5% lower accuracy just fine.

What kind of thought process are you following that sacrificing power to fit concepts within the system is good, but multiclassing is bad? Also, the difference between 15 STR and 16 STR is actually about 17% less damage.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

escalator dropdown posted:

Again, that's my taste. People can play however they want. But I think the pendulum has generally swung much further into the "RP over optimization" side of things these days, and I don't understand why people view them as mutually exclusive. The general sense I get is that there's a great many people for whom "optimization" is a four letter word.

Yeah. I'm not sure where the idea that "optimization" = "rear end in a top hat" comes from. I don't know if it's pure meme, or if everyone has similar formative experiences. I do know that assholes do tend to try to twist the game to their own ends (because they're assholes) and some of them use optimization tricks to get there. But in my experience the rear end in a top hat in the group that everybody says is the rules guy actually knows dick all about the rules and levies his superior ability to pretend he knows then against the DM.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Mendrian posted:

Yeah. I'm not sure where the idea that "optimization" = "rear end in a top hat" comes from. I don't know if it's pure meme, or if everyone has similar formative experiences. I do know that assholes do tend to try to twist the game to their own ends (because they're assholes) and some of them use optimization tricks to get there. But in my experience the rear end in a top hat in the group that everybody says is the rules guy actually knows dick all about the rules and levies his superior ability to pretend he knows then against the DM.

Warnings telling young GMs to stay on guard against powergamers has a long and pedigreed history going back at least to the early 80's letters pages of Dragon magazine. It's hardly anything new, and it was always based on some fundamentally flawed assumptions about the best way to play a game.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mendrian posted:

If you know how to make the system do what you want you're going to show up to the table with the character you want to play. If you're not an rear end in a top hat this will be a character who succeeds at what you wanted her to be good at and fail at things you wanted her to be bad at, or when you think it would be in character or narratively appropriate to fail despite having the raw numbers to succeed. Or you roll super bad. So you're just role-playing as far as everyone else is concerned. People only know you're a filthy optimiser if you're a dick about it. Or you murder a bad GM's super cool DMPC villain too fast.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

MonsterEnvy posted:

In other news we got some preview of Mordenkainen's tome of foes from Fantasy grounds from some sceenshots. Also the chapter layout.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2018/04/14/preview-mordenkainen-tome-of-foes-from-fantasy-grounds/

Based on the pics I want to see a mashup where the gith wars or the blood war spills out onto the halflings.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
These hit drivethrough now, both were good reads back in the day and would probably still be decent setting material.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/16829/FOR2-The-Drow-of-the-Underdark-2e

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17275/The-Factols-Manifesto-2e

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

FRINGE posted:

Based on the pics I want to see a mashup where the gith wars or the blood war spills out onto the halflings.

Today marked the 450th Annual Spring Pie Eating Contest in Derbyshire.

Morbo Voice: THERE WERE NO SURVIVORS.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

MonsterEnvy posted:

that's a good goat

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Xae posted:

Today marked the 450th Annual Spring Pie Eating Contest in Derbyshire.

Morbo Voice: THERE WERE NO SURVIVORS.

I want to see some animation genius to a short clip of one of the Blood War plains in full camera-moving 3d. Back when all demons/devils had Teleport without Error at will, and the entire scene would be a massive 3d cloud of the worst terrors in the planes cutting loose.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Have there been any homebrew attempts at making something akin to the pathfinder Brawler shield throwing archetype? That was one of my favorites to play just so I could be captain america.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Does 5e have any equivalent to ricochet toss, returning weapons, or the blinkback belt (or returning shield, in the case of the shield champion brawler), or does a throwing weapon character just buy 50 daggers and give up on using a +X item?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Elysiume posted:

Does 5e have any equivalent to ricochet toss, returning weapons, or the blinkback belt (or returning shield, in the case of the shield champion brawler), or does a throwing weapon character just buy 50 daggers and give up on using a +X item?

I know the Dwarven Thrower is included by default.

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Dwarven%20Thrower#content

I believe that the returning enchantment is only an uncommon ability, so it wouldn't be too hard to get an item that would stand in for one of those specific items.

FRINGE posted:

I want to see some animation genius to a short clip of one of the Blood War plains in full camera-moving 3d. Back when all demons/devils had Teleport without Error at will, and the entire scene would be a massive 3d cloud of the worst terrors in the planes cutting loose.

I hear you, but I think any attempt to move it out of the realm of imagination would inevitably make it disappointing.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Agent355 posted:

But nvm, this is not even the point of the original 'focusing on character power often signals to me, as a DM, that a player is more interested in stomping battles than engaging with the party or the story' point I was making.

This is a pretty dumb comment.

DnD5e has its rules be about combat. If I make the best possible combat monster I can (within the confines of my class) I am not powergaming, I am correctly playing the game. That's like complaining that a soccer player is "too good at running and kicking" or that a chess player is "too good at protecting themselves from check".

DnD is a game about having six to eight encounters in an adventuring day, in which (being charitable to the game) maybe half will be combat. That is what the game is about. If someone didn't want that experience they wouldn't be playing DnD.

Other games have great mechanics for party engagement or story engagement. You play those if you want players to do that and be rewarded for it.

There's no such thing as a power gamer, just someone who is good at the game. It's an RPG. I expect someone to RP the the fullest (to the extent of their comfort and the tone of the table) and I expect them to Game to the max too.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Elysiume posted:

Does 5e have any equivalent to

According to these people, not yet?

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/103023/is-there-an-official-5e-equivalent-of-the-the-blinkback-belt-from-pathfinder

No reason to not steal from the previous decades of combined dnd items though.

RP wise, if youre a throwing weapon character, I would keep a few rounds worth of them around anyway. Throwing knives on the legs, chest, back. Youll just look like one of those 3e pictures with clothes made out of straps and buckles, except yours will be for an actual reason. Just slowly swap +x ones in as you collect them, and yeah carry the best +x melee thing around you can find as a backup.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Really the underlying problem is that D&D designers have the same philosophy as Bethesda designers and expect you to pay them $50 for a product you need to fix.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Splicer posted:

All RPGs are bad. Some are very bad, some are only mostly bad. Some are bad because they're a labour of love by someone who's not very good at making games. Some are bad because they're a labour of love by someone who is good at making games, but is stymied by the horrible state of the art that exists. Some are bad because the designers realised marketing trumps functionality. But they're all bad.

At some point in every gamers life they realise a game they like is bad. This is a crossroads. They can go down one of three ways.

They can acknowledge the game is bad, and do their best to work around the badness.
They can acknowledge the game is bad, and try another game, hoping it is less bad.
Or they can declare the game Not Bad, and it is the players that are wrong.

The last of these is where the powergamer vs RPG player false narrative comes from.

If you want a game where people just play their characters you need a system where it's easy to build the character you want. D&D (all editions post, like, basic) and most other crunchy games have overly complex character creation filled with false choices and trap options, and frequently you find extremely straightforward archetypes require complicated rules exploits just to get to the table. In D&D you can write "Marigold Greensleeves is fair of face and loved by all who meet her" all you like, but that rings kind of hollow when you fail all your charisma checks. And if, god forbid, you actually put meaningful points into charisma, then unless you're a charisma based caster or you've hosed around with multiclassing then you're going to eat poo poo when it comes to actually performing your class functions.

This is bad.

If D&D were not bad I could say "I'm playing a Fighter who is also Charming" and not suck at one or both of these things. Or "I am the best at stabbing", and have this not only be true, but also not destroy encounters. But D&D is bad, so if you want to be good at stabbing you have to munchkin the poo poo out of stabbing, and if you want to be a charming fighter it's time to dip some Warlock.

So if you're playing D&D, you're playing with one of three kinds of people.
People who don't know that D&D is bad yet.
People who recognise that D&D is bad, and happily break the game over their knee to get it to do what they want, because the game is too bad to do it for them.
And people who have seen that D&D is bad but insist the problem is those mean old powergamers who are clearly out to break things because they're jerks who just don't get roleplaying.

I see you've made your choice. My sympathies.

Quoting for later.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Just roll your stats and hope for good everything or play the character you get who cares.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What system is being used as the anti-D&D where you can have your character be good at fighting and high charisma and whatever else you want with no drawbacks?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
/\/\/\ A homebrew called "just making cool stories with your friends" I think

i like to roll cool dice, drinks beers, and smoke weed
d&d owns

Also powergamers/"munchkins" are usually only called out because it's the focus on being so mechanically competent at the expense of the other stuff in the game. Usually people don't say, "but he roleplayed his rear end off and his character was memorable" about the optimized character, because it's probably another halberd dude with sentinel or whatever. There's legit traps in the game, and if you are knowledgeable enough, you can walk into it and be the 'this is fine' fire dog with the right choices and mindset. The internet is full of "help me optimize this bar drunk who only uses table legs to fight", and the results grogs come up with are usually pretty drat good. You can do both!

Also as cool as it is to kill the BBEG when he makes his first appearance before the DM can have him throw a smoke bomb and escape, the most memorable moments for me are not rolling a huge pile of dice to kill some mook. Just chiming in on the subject, I think most of the good points have already been made, but it's an interesting thing to discuss if nobody gets mad about it.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 16, 2018

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

bewilderment posted:

There's no such thing as a power gamer, just someone who is good at the game. It's an RPG. I expect someone to RP the the fullest (to the extent of their comfort and the tone of the table) and I expect them to Game to the max too.

I'm asking not to argue, but just curious what you think about people who make less than ideal combat/character building decisions for the sake of RP. For instance, a lv3 character I've made for a campaign my group is starting tomorrow is a Tome Warlock that has an insane obsession with fire. A couple of my starting spells and a couple of my extra cantrips are not ideal choices (Produce Fire, Burning Hands, Hellish Rebuke, a few others), but were chosen to fit the RP. I'm trying to tread the line between 'full out RP' and 'still being useful to the party', so I still have all the poo poo I need to have to be effective (basically eldritch blast and ritual casting), but would you see a character like that at your table as wasting time or gimping the group?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Naelyan posted:

I'm asking not to argue, but just curious what you think about people who make less than ideal combat/character building decisions for the sake of RP. For instance, a lv3 character I've made for a campaign my group is starting tomorrow is a Tome Warlock that has an insane obsession with fire. A couple of my starting spells and a couple of my extra cantrips are not ideal choices (Produce Fire, Burning Hands, Hellish Rebuke, a few others), but were chosen to fit the RP. I'm trying to tread the line between 'full out RP' and 'still being useful to the party', so I still have all the poo poo I need to have to be effective (basically eldritch blast and ritual casting), but would you see a character like that at your table as wasting time or gimping the group?

Stuff like playing a Fighter with a 16 CHA is generally the go to example. Playing a charismatic/likeable warrior who isn't particularly smart or wise is a pretty common archetype and it's something that will shaft a D&D Fighter pretty hard as it usually means you are sacrificing your STR/DEX/CON choices for it. This gimps your class features and will not really make you a very good talky character either, especially if your group contains any CHA based character or rogue.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Charisma should have never been pegged as a spellcasting trait, except specifically for Bards, who explicitly use performance skills for their magical effects.

Its another WotC era fuckup.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

kingcom posted:

Stuff like playing a Fighter with a 16 CHA is generally the go to example. Playing a charismatic/likeable warrior who isn't particularly smart or wise is a pretty common archetype and it's something that will shaft a D&D Fighter pretty hard as it usually means you are sacrificing your STR/DEX/CON choices for it. This gimps your class features and will not really make you a very good talky character either, especially if your group contains any CHA based character or rogue.

But if you go with a 13cha fighter and take the right proficiencies you're going to be ok with doing it. You're not a trained and dedicated bullshitter like a bard or a rogue but you can still be good at a few skills with standard array and proficiency.

E: DM should also give you social stuff where you can flex and bully using your str or athletics stats.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What's some good ancillary/world-building material for reading on your own? I really liked thumbing through the Monster Manual and I'm curious about all the extra books (e.g. the crazy planar poo poo), but buying material meant for actual play and reading it like it was an encyclopedia or something seems kinda strange.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Volos is really cool.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm a turbonerd, because I sometimes just read the books for fun/no reason

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Naelyan posted:

For DnD I expect basically the 'baseline competence' level. So for warlock it's pretty obvious, you max CHA and take Agonizing Blast for your Eldritch Blast and you're all good.
Like I did the same thing, I made a Ftr1/Warlock who eventually got rewritten to be Hexblade and my spells aren't necessarily the optimal spells but they support the theme of the character.

Basically I think you did the right thing, I don't actually expect everyone to be hyper-optimal, just to understand the rules and clear the "pretty competent" bar because this is a game about playing pretty competent people.

The problem is when people do dumb things like "hurr I'm a sucky apprentice wizard I only have 12 INT because it's about my character's personality and story, why does the rest of the group not like me".
Like there are games where "explicitly lovely wizard" is a useful and entertaining party member but DnD is not that game.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

JBP posted:

But if you go with a 13cha fighter and take the right proficiencies you're going to be ok with doing it. You're not a trained and dedicated bullshitter like a bard or a rogue but you can still be good at a few skills with standard array and proficiency.

E: DM should also give you social stuff where you can flex and bully using your str or athletics stats.

Or you could just roll a paladin!

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

bewilderment posted:

For DnD I expect basically the 'baseline competence' level. So for warlock it's pretty obvious, you max CHA and take Agonizing Blast for your Eldritch Blast and you're all good.
Like I did the same thing, I made a Ftr1/Warlock who eventually got rewritten to be Hexblade and my spells aren't necessarily the optimal spells but they support the theme of the character.

Basically I think you did the right thing, I don't actually expect everyone to be hyper-optimal, just to understand the rules and clear the "pretty competent" bar because this is a game about playing pretty competent people.

The problem is when people do dumb things like "hurr I'm a sucky apprentice wizard I only have 12 INT because it's about my character's personality and story, why does the rest of the group not like me".
Like there are games where "explicitly lovely wizard" is a useful and entertaining party member but DnD is not that game.

I think the thing here is, you can roleplay being a lovely wizard and still have good stats so that when the chips are down, you're at least not a liability.

People see helpless/lovely characters in books and like them, and those just don't tend to translate well to tabletop, unless it's something the group and DM have discussed ahead of time. It's also one thing when you're playing with buddies who you've talked about the character to, and entirely another to bring it to game with strangers/Adventure League/meetup or whatever. I'd have zero issue with someone cool I know bringing Useless Wizard of Comic Relief. When it's unexpected and played by someone who's not actually funny or roleplaying it well.....that's just lovely.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

kidkissinger posted:

Or you could just roll a paladin!

Yeah but you can more freely choose to be mean to people as a fighter and you not constrained as much when you RP. A fighter can be literally anyone with any kind of politics.

I like playing Oath of Ancients pallys myself though because you can be an ineffable fuckhead but also take powergamer stats :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

The Gate posted:

I think the thing here is, you can roleplay being a lovely wizard and still have good stats so that when the chips are down, you're at least not a liability.

Yeah exactly. The bummer is when people decide that it's apparently in their RP to basically not be able to do a combat at all. I'm the player in a 5e game with some friends (Storm Kings Thunder) and we've got a Drow Sorcerer who has literally no offensive spells (apart from Ray of Frost) because she doesn't think her character would want to fight in battle. We had a Druid who also wouldn't fight, a Bard who--god bless him--basically doesn't know the mechanics of D&D, and a non-UA Ranger, who's just bad at fighting.

The DM and the rest of the players are good friends of mine and we have a lot of fun just hanging out and essentially free form roleplaying during the not fighty bits, but all of the players so clearly do not want to play this system, they just don't know it because they only know D&D exists. It's just absolutely not a game where a character who won't fight at all is a thing that like...can be.