Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Jesus Harold Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Welp

qhat fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Apr 15, 2018

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
at my old job I did interviews and gave a coding challenge that was "make a SQL query and create a CSV list of the results." mostly because I was winging it and had little help. it did catch one guy who appended an extra comma. of course we hired him anyway because he was the only guy who responded to our Craiglist ad that didn't need visa sponsorship (didn't have money to spend on a real posting) and sure enough his code was horrible and he spent a lot of time converting four space indentation files to three space indentation manually. I guess that's one time a coding interview could have helped

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

every ETL position I’ve seen just wants Excel/CSVs dumped into a database. nowhere does reversing a string array come into play

even using something more complicated like SSIS is just column mapping and making sure column types are correct :shrug:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
SSIS is so good

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
The point where you weed out the people who are worthless at common programming problems like string manipulation and also find programming problems uninteresting has to come somewhere. Preferrably somewhere before you spend two weeks orienting them to your collaboration practices.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

reverse a string is just a fizzbuzz type thing

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

kloa posted:

every ETL position I’ve seen just wants Excel/CSVs dumped into a database. nowhere does reversing a string array come into play

even using something more complicated like SSIS is just column mapping and making sure column types are correct :shrug:

Good luck assuming the CSV data you receive from vendors is anything short of unfiltered dogshit

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

qhat posted:

Good luck assuming the CSV data you receive from vendors is anything short of unfiltered dogshit

haha yep

one of our CSVs is just a table-like output of one of our web pages

like not even a real csv

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qhat posted:

The contract says we take the CSV of system conditions from SAP and give them a report documenting system status.

It doesn't have to be of any use, I don't think they could actually tell one way or the other (did I mention: SAP?)

:shrug:

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

reverse a string is just a fizzbuzz type thing

throw new Exception("Unicode does not have this");

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

nothing new about throwing unicode exceptions

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
reversed_string = string[::-1]

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Friend of mine interviewed with google once and they asked him to write some python code into google docs

he got the answer right (it was super easy) but didn't include the interpreter at the top of the file (#!/bin/[whatever]) because:

- he's coding into a loving google doc
- they didn't ask him to code it "as if you would run it in bash/on [x] distro"

so they press him like hmm do you think there's anything you've missed? And he spends like 5 minutes running through the script checking for typos and fixing imaginary problems before they put him out of his misery in some condescending fashion

He didn't get the job and their feedback was "definitely try again after you have a little more real world experience"

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

abigserve posted:

Friend of mine interviewed with google once and they asked him to write some python code into google docs

he got the answer right (it was super easy) but didn't include the interpreter at the top of the file (#!/bin/[whatever]) because:

so they press him like hmm do you think there's anything you've missed? And he spends like 5 minutes running through the script checking for typos and fixing imaginary problems before they put him out of his misery in some condescending fashion

He didn't get the job and their feedback was "definitely try again after you have a little more real world experience"

lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

abigserve posted:

based on the google phone screens I passed the trick is to do it in c++. portability? lol

the correct answer of course would be “shebang is the posix indicator to call a script interpreter, Python does not require a posix environment”
clearly not enough of a sperg for google

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

abigserve posted:

Holy poo poo this is the most idiotic rejection lol. If, that is, what actually happened. I would almost be tempted to send a mail to the hiring manager if that happened to me.

qhat fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 16, 2018

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

hobbesmaster posted:

based on the google phone screens I passed the trick is to do it in c++.

The best trick is to not work for google.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

qhat posted:

Holy poo poo this is the most idiotic rejection lol. If, that is, what actually happened. I would almost be tempted to send a mail to the hiring manager if that happened to me.

I doubt they didn't give him the job based on that one thing but it's just such an asinine exchange

oh yeah the role was in cyber sec as well

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

abigserve posted:

didn't include the interpreter at the top of the file (#!/bin/[whatever])

As someone who has tried to get an interviewee to take the one additional step to turn arbitrary python functions into an executable script, this is infuriatingly hard to communicate.

Unfortunately, it's also really telling when someone is familiar with the steps you have to take to turn arbitrary python into something you can run/use. It's definitely "like me" bias at play, but I assumed it was easy and it took a lot of experience to be able to do it and a lot more experience to do it well at all.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

based on the google phone screens I passed the trick is to do it in c++. portability? lol

the correct answer of course would be “shebang is the posix indicator to call a script interpreter, Python does not require a posix environment”
clearly not enough of a sperg for google

yeah, not only is this petty, but they werent even right

even in unixy places you dont need the shebang, calling pythong script.py will be fine, you just cant run it as if it was a binary

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

abigserve posted:

I doubt they didn't give him the job based on that one thing but it's just such an asinine exchange

oh yeah the role was in cyber sec as well

The point is more that if I was told that exact feedback that I didn't have enough real world experience because I missed the shebang, despite having many years industry experience in that language, I would be extremely insulted. I wouldn't really consider working for that team even if they were to give me another chance, but it would maybe be worth politely letting the hiring manager know about what's going on. At the end of the day, a terrible interview can stain future applications.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Google doesn’t have hiring managers, they have that pool thing

they send you a survey if you fail though so I hope he let them have it on there

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

TimWinter posted:

As someone who has tried to get an interviewee to take the one additional step to turn arbitrary python functions into an executable script, this is infuriatingly hard to communicate.

Unfortunately, it's also really telling when someone is familiar with the steps you have to take to turn arbitrary python into something you can run/use. It's definitely "like me" bias at play, but I assumed it was easy and it took a lot of experience to be able to do it and a lot more experience to do it well at all.

dont need a shebang for 'python fizzbuzz.py'; do you also fail them if they dont chmod +x it?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

again assumes posix

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

TimWinter posted:

It's hard to communicate because no-one in the real world does it.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

In fact, I would almost recommend not relying on the shebang at all. I remember a few years ago my company was sending mass emails to developers to stop using /usr/bin/whatever in the shebang because it wasn't the official version of the interpreter approved for production use, and they were struggling to get developers to use the later version of it that they'd deployed or something.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i once spent several hours trying to figure out why my gunicorn (python webapp server) """"binary"""" wasnt working, it turned it wasnt a binary at all but it was a pure python source script without the extension

also it h ad a shebang pointing to a random interpreter on the machine which is why here was so much behaviour i couldnt explain

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i am glad that this thread is here to remind me that sometimes the people conducting the interview are just as bad as the people on the other side

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaman Linavi posted:

i am glad that this thread is here to remind me that sometimes the people conducting the interview are just as bad as the people on the other side

Well yeah, we're the people conducting the interview too, lol

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

PCjr sidecar posted:

dont need a shebang for 'python fizzbuzz.py'; do you also fail them if they dont chmod +x it?

You don't need to make a script executable if you pass its path as an argument to the python interpreter, so no, they should do one or the other to be correct.

Shaman Linavi posted:

Very often. The underlying question is the same on both sides: "do I want to work with this person". The initial writeup is all foreplay, what I really want to know is if you are interested in learning a better way to solve this particular fizz buzz, or if you can argue a better solution, or if code critique causes you to get indignant and ask to see my manager, etc. That's the surprisingly level playing field part of an interview.

ps: "#!/usr/bin/env python" is what you want if you want a shebang at all. It's portable in the sense it uses your virtualenv's interpreter.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Interviewing and recruiting the third: the whole shebang

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
what's the yospos position on product owner roles? I may have an opportunity to move out of my current dev management role into one, but it seems like a major career shift to me, especially since my other option, if I stay, is to go into a senior dev role. it honestly seems very appealing to me, but also weird that I'd move further away from dev.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Company A is going to call me later today with their offer

I've never had to negotiate this kind of thing before so what do

They told me they would "give me the best offer they can initially so we don't need to go back and forwards on it" which sounds suspect to me, do I care about stock options if it's a privately owned company that probably won't go public due to reasons (I'm thinking the answer is no)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Valeyard posted:

They told me they would "give me the best offer they can initially so we don't need to go back and forwards on it" which sounds suspect to me, do I care about stock options if it's a privately owned company that probably won't go public due to reasons (I'm thinking the answer is no)

Tell them you want 51% of the equity and primae noctis for the daughters and sisters of the board of directors.

E: And always remember,

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Apr 16, 2018

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Valeyard posted:

sounds like they want to shaft you on pay, benefits, sanity

having your future company say "pay is x_figgies, take it or leave it" is an amber flag of proportions

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

TerminalRaptor posted:

what's the yospos position on product owner roles? I may have an opportunity to move out of my current dev management role into one, but it seems like a major career shift to me, especially since my other option, if I stay, is to go into a senior dev role. it honestly seems very appealing to me, but also weird that I'd move further away from dev.

definitely very different. our PMs do a lot more contact with customers, usually in the form of sales, training, support, and testing possible features. definitely more traveling than devs too. it's less hands on development and more planning and support. if that's your thing then by all means go for it.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

TimWinter posted:

im confused, are you saying that knowing the correct boilerplate to make a python script executable in a posix environment is something that you spend a lot of your interviews on?

if it looked like the candidate wasn't capable of figuring something like that out on their own then you ideally wouldve ended the interview by then

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

TerminalRaptor posted:

good PMs are few and far between and can often be the difference between a successful project and one that doesn't get off the ground. if you're good at it then may the figs be with u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

TimWinter posted:

The underlying question is the same on both sides: "do I want to work with this person". The initial writeup is all foreplay,

red flag 1: using sex terms to describe an interview for employment

TimWinter posted:

what I really want to know is if you are interested in learning a better way to solve this particular fizz buzz, or if you can argue a better solution, or if code critique causes you to get indignant and ask to see my manager, etc. That's the surprisingly level playing field part of an interview.

red flag 2: wasting your and the candidate's time, rather than giving them something mildly interesting thats ideally somewhat related to what they'd be doing

TimWinter posted:

ps: "#!/usr/bin/env python" is what you want if you want a shebang at all. It's portable in the sense it uses your virtualenv's interpreter.

red flag 3: familiarity with letting projects get out of hand with rube goldberg tooling instead of just budgeting time in advance to implement the prototype in a better language