Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Use the turbo boost Fox!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Crosspostin'

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oh god is the gun going off as he's trying to get the casing out of his shirt?

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

oh god is the gun going off as he's trying to get the casing out of his shirt?

Yuuuuuup. :stare:

No idea how he missed that brass sweeper.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
The muzzle flashes on the accidental shots look suspicious and the bullet casings don't bounce or roll at all when they hit the floor.

I'm gonna say the case down the shirt is real but the rest is video effects.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Yep. Cases are on the floor when the gif begins , disappear just before the sweeper passes, then reappear.

Edit: Waved the barrel at the sweeper. Dude still needed to be tackled to the ground and kidney punched for good measure.

Ceiling fan fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 15, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, the gun doesn't recoil either when he's waving it around and nobody even reacts to the "shots."

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Vlaphor posted:

As seen on Mythbusters with non-dairy coffee creamer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRw4ZRqmxOc

It's no doubt been already posted somewhere in this thread, but the mention of Mythbusters just made me remember that one time where they accidentally ended up shooting a cannonball into a populated neigbourhood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kASD-RwQFQw

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Perestroika posted:

It's no doubt been already posted somewhere in this thread, but the mention of Mythbusters just made me remember that one time where they accidentally ended up shooting a cannonball into a populated neigbourhood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kASD-RwQFQw
I came across this quote about that incident.

a news article posted:

Some neighbors told KGO-TV San Francisco that "MythBusters" often tries its experiments in the area, and they had grown used to hearing explosions. But some residents expressed anger that the televised science experiments were occurring so close to their homes.
No one wants a cannon ball through their house. But the thing that's so close to your homes is a bomb desposal range. Come on.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Apr 15, 2018

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, the gun doesn't recoil either when he's waving it around and nobody even reacts to the "shots."

Who would react to shots at a gun range?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
probably the guy with the barrel pointed at him

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The goon who is out of the farming game is totally going to get called in to work one last crop rotation. Simple in and out job, swapping cotton for peanuts. Then things go wrong...

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

RandomPauI posted:

The goon who is out of the farming game is totally going to get called in to work one last crop rotation. Simple in and out job, swapping cotton for peanuts. Then things go wrong...

Farming doesn't kill you, you just wind up crippled and broke.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

weg posted:

The muzzle flashes on the accidental shots look suspicious and the bullet casings don't bounce or roll at all when they hit the floor.

I'm gonna say the case down the shirt is real but the rest is video effects.

The guy looks at the gun and then the sweeper. The sweeper starts dodging away at the very end of the gif.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

violent sex idiot posted:

probably the guy with the barrel pointed at him

Maybe, if the guy were even looking in his direction and wasn't wearing ear protection and surrounded by numerous other gunshots.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

also :stonk:

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
When I visit family in Kansas sometimes all the fields are on fire or recently burned so all that's left is a black plain. Is that the same thing? Crop rotation?

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Nailed it!

Seriously though, he dead right?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Nailed it!

Maybe it went between the hemispheres

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nailed it!

Apparently he got it removed

quote:

A vietnamese man waited two days to go to hospital after getting a three inch nail lodged in his head – and can’t even remember how it got there

Astonishing snaps of the man were shared by doctor Le Hoang Anh from Military Hospital 354 in the Vietnamese capital Hanoi.

The nail measuring more than 3 inches had been lodged in the man’s brain - but he somehow managed to wait two full days before seeking help on his 60th birthday - March 23.

Dr Le said the patient "didn’t recall" how the accident happened and didn't mention of any mental disorders or even a possible murder attempt.

It is understood that the patient underwent surgery at Military Hospital 354.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Of course he can’t remember.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Isn't the brain strangely resilient to acute trauma like that? Like most head trauma kills you cause it scrambles everything up to the autonomous part or causes deadly bleeding, but your big meaty lobes can be sliced and diced acutely to unknown effects.

Like a nail gun injury like that comes with its own trepan in case of infection or swelling and if everything's still getting blood and connected to the autonomous part of the brain then its just business as usual with a hole in your head.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

zedprime posted:

Isn't the brain strangely resilient to acute trauma like that? Like most head trauma kills you cause it scrambles everything up to the autonomous part or causes deadly bleeding, but your big meaty lobes can be sliced and diced acutely to unknown effects.

Like a nail gun injury like that comes with its own trepan in case of infection or swelling and if everything's still getting blood and connected to the autonomous part of the brain then its just business as usual with a hole in your head.

See Also: Phineas Gage

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The literature on people with split hemispheres is some freeeeeaky poo poo

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 15, 2018

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Nailed it!

This is strikingly similar to how they used to do lobotomies/leucotomies. Couple pokes with a nail or ice pick, send you on your way.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The brain is weird and a mess. You have people that live from an early age having a hemisphere removed due to life threatening seizures and they'll grow up fine. or the case of a man who had his brain compressed into a layer around skull but still working mostly.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and that lady who's brain is all broken up and just floating around in her headgoo and she's mostly fine

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ChaseSP posted:

man who had his brain compressed into a layer around skull but still working mostly.

Wasn’t that guy a civil servant?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Humphreys posted:

From the Aeronautical Insanity thread:

VTEC just kicked in yo

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

zedprime posted:

Yeah it looks like it only hit the corpus callosum (the hemisphere interconnect) and the fourth ventricle (where cerebrospinal fluid is produced). If he heals without infection or too much blood loss, he’ll be pretty ok. If I had to have a nail that big shot through my skull, that’s p much exactly where I’d put it

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

therobit posted:

Farming doesn't kill you, you just wind up crippled and broke.

You forgot the part where it kills your children in the accident that crippled you. I went to way too many pre-teen funerals when I lived in Kansas. :(

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

Yeah it looks like it only hit the corpus callosum (the hemisphere interconnect) and the fourth ventricle (where cerebrospinal fluid is produced). If he heals without infection or too much blood loss, he’ll be pretty ok. If I had to have a nail that big shot through my skull, that’s p much exactly where I’d put it

how much would this hurt

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Probably have a splitting headache

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

:iamafag:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I once helped a guy who got a butchers knife up to the hilt through his eye after blowing something up in his shed. Saw him getting around, with difficulty, a few months later, so the brain can take some punishment.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The Snoo posted:

how much would this hurt

The pain would only register in your scalp, skull, and meninges, your white and gray matter themselves have no pain receptors. It would hurt a fuckton (depending on how much your skull were fractured), but a lot less than most other parts of your body.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Sundae posted:

You forgot the part where it kills your children in the accident that crippled you. I went to way too many pre-teen funerals when I lived in Kansas. :(

Unfortunately some people still think it is ok to let kids operate farm equipment.

An Irish got my wife and I got to know when we lived in Japan (he was an english teacher and so was my wife) returned home to work on his family's sheep farm. He was in his 20s I think. I guess he put his foot in a grain auger and had to have his leg amputated. He has a metal leg now, and it's really sad because people expect him to either be all sunshine and flowers, or else bitter about it. They have expectations about how he should feel about this life changing accident. He's not the bitter sort but his leg was crushed and loving obliterated in front of his eyes while he was fully conscious. He has PTSD from it and sometimes he is angry and other times times sad because he misses his goddamn leg.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The PTO hungers for human flesh. Do not turn your back to it.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

theflyingexecutive posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > GBS: Home of xenForo 2.0 > OSHA: If I had to have a nail that big shot through my skull, that’s p much exactly where I’d put it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'd probably pick an oblique angle along the superior sagittal sinus. You could maybe avoid hitting the brain altogether or even fully puncturing the dura, and so long as you got to an ER before taking it out, you probably wouldn't bleed out.

But I guess that's only if you had like, a surgeon or someone else with pinpoint knowledge of head-bones putting the nail in your dome.