Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

goodness posted:

Thanks. Your nightlords look intense, did you use that on them?

Has anyone used Gaia Color here? The tamiya bare metal silver I got is pretty good but the GC Star Bright Duralumin looks a lot more metally. Its a lacquer based paint and I've only used acrylic based so far.

Gaianotes is a very, very good brand of paints. Huge caveats though:

1. Since it's a lacquer paint you'll want to wear a mask and either spray outside or in an area with ventilation via a (spark-proof) fan. This stuff can melt your lungs.

2. Lacquer paints are super susceptible to the underlying layer; a rough primer basecoat will give it a brushed/rough metal look, a glossy basecoat will give a powerful metallic sheen, a light basecoat will shift the color towards a pearlescent appearance, and a dark basecoat will give it a deep shine.

3. You'll need lacquer thinner; there's a Gaianotes thinner, but you can also cheap out and use Rustoleum lacquer thinner

4. Once a lacquer paint is cured you're not going to chemically strip it with anything short of lacquer thinner. This is good for washes/glazes/enamel or oil layers, but it also means you'll have a hard time stripping it with stuff like simple green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

goodness posted:

Thanks. Your nightlords look intense, did you use that on them?

I did! I used to spray wash straight onto my base coat without the gloss and it sometimes dried splotchy, especially on large flat surfaces.

BULBASAUR turned me onto the gloss technique and I used it on the robo and praevian I posted in here last. It dried perfect, no spots. I’ll probably do this for all my guys going forward

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Also if you're in the US buy gaianotes here for best prices and selection:

http://volksusastore.com/webstores/scale/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=737

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

Gunblades have historical basis, but they were never actually practical weapons or in wide use; they were status symbols for either blacksmiths (to prove their skill) or nobles (to prove their wealth), basically "look at this incredibly complex and engraved gun____, I made/could afford it and it might actually work sometimes"

Bayonets however were super common because 1) you needed a long barrel for the bullet to be accurate at all and 2) the long barrel made it an ideal spear shaft.

E: to be even more of a downer, for a gunaxe of that time to be at all useful the barrels would need to be aligned parrallel to the shaft, as axe tactics involved hooking them onto shields and pulling them down.

What? They weren't in super wide use, but IIRC at least the US, French and Germans distributed them as weapons for boarding parties or prison guards. And most of the examples of hafted gunweapons were parallel to the shaft, not perpendicular (look up Henry VIII's walking stick as an example).

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
intended for use by boarding parties, but [at least in america] never supplied in significant quantities. Those that were supplied proved unpopular and was eventually phased out for a cutlass with a large pommel, which proved far more useful than a fragile single-shot knife.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

goodness posted:

I didn't think about airbrushing the wash. I will give that a try since airbrushing has made everything else easier.

It'll go on like a filter. It works wonderfully. But be careful not to put too much on at once, because when you flood it it turns back into the brush on shade.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Neurolimal posted:

Gaianotes is a very, very good brand of paints. Huge caveats though:

1. Since it's a lacquer paint you'll want to wear a mask and either spray outside or in an area with ventilation via a (spark-proof) fan. This stuff can melt your lungs.

2. Lacquer paints are super susceptible to the underlying layer; a rough primer basecoat will give it a brushed/rough metal look, a glossy basecoat will give a powerful metallic sheen, a light basecoat will shift the color towards a pearlescent appearance, and a dark basecoat will give it a deep shine.

3. You'll need lacquer thinner; there's a Gaianotes thinner, but you can also cheap out and use Rustoleum lacquer thinner

4. Once a lacquer paint is cured you're not going to chemically strip it with anything short of lacquer thinner. This is good for washes/glazes/enamel or oil layers, but it also means you'll have a hard time stripping it with stuff like simple green.

This is exactly what I needed, thank you!

Ordering some from volks right now.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Playing in a 40k tournament next month. 1500 points, 1 detachment, no lords of war, no duplicate units (other than troops and dedicated transport). Things like a land raider/land raider crusader are considered the same unit. Missions are scorched earth, dominate and destroy, burn and pillage. With a month to go I've still got plenty of time to build and paint units.
How terrible will this list be:
https://miniheadquarters.com/rosters/details/525-meeples-1500-1

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I have no idea but that format sounds fun as hell.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
What's the best way to get specific bits?

I'm looking for the helmeted dark eldar wych head and the reaver helmeted heads. These are the cool domed visor helmets a lot of people like.

I've been prowling ebay but these heads are basically never in-stock, and when I've found more niche bits vendors, they are charging $2.50+ for each head.

e: Look at that pretty dome :3:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 16, 2018

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10
If you can get rid of the rest- try and pick up a cheap Gangs of Commoragh box for the bike domes.
Wyches should gradually get cheaper now that the latest start collecting box contains 10 of them.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Booley posted:

Playing in a 40k tournament next month. 1500 points, 1 detachment, no lords of war, no duplicate units (other than troops and dedicated transport). Things like a land raider/land raider crusader are considered the same unit. Missions are scorched earth, dominate and destroy, burn and pillage. With a month to go I've still got plenty of time to build and paint units.
How terrible will this list be:
https://miniheadquarters.com/rosters/details/525-meeples-1500-1

Sternguard is your only real iffy unit. They're just a touch overpriced.

Dropping your tac squads to 5 models may be helpful too. That way you can load a squad and an HQ into a razorback.

Interesting format. I wonder what Scion players do since they really only have one HQ.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

My cat has bopped a basically new pot of Armageddon Dunes into oblivion. If I didn't have the evidence of my test Necron to show I'd used it I'd think I'd imagined ever buying it.

We're looking to move house at the start of next year so I look forward to finding it then.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have reduced the price on the Tyranid lot I'm selling in SA-Mart. There's so many bugs for 80 dollars, you can't afford not to buy them.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
How useful are ancients, anyway?

The way my army is set up tend to deploy a central block of hellblasters, devastators, and aggressors in the middle with pedro and an lt, with scouts, intercessors, and dreadnoughts covering the flanks, vanguard inceptors and a jump chaplain providing my mobile element. It seems life the ancient is handy but the ld buff does nothing and it's hard to drop points by cutting models that directly contribute for a model that only contributes when someone dies. Potentially though I can get off a few extra hellblaster shots a game.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I was just looking to buy the Forgeworld Magos Dominus with rad cleanser to kick off my Ad Mech army but they have discontinued it. Boo urns.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Guy Goodbody posted:

I have reduced the price on the Tyranid lot I'm selling in SA-Mart. There's so many bugs for 80 dollars, you can't afford not to buy them.

Arrrggg I absolutely would jump on it but you caught me at a time when i just moved and I’m low on funds. If no one goes for it (they’d be crazy not to) please PM me, I’d be good to buy it in a week or two.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

It still really bothers me that Relic didnt just make a moba or Last Stand 2

Especially since DoW 3 apparently died in minutes

If it weren't for the iron grip DotA and League have on the scene, this would make a ton of sense, lotta characters to choose from.

Then again, a lot of them would be hard to differentiate in power armor.

I don't want to derail but man is GW's scattershot approach to licensing a sad story.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

chutche2 posted:

How useful are ancients, anyway?

The way my army is set up tend to deploy a central block of hellblasters, devastators, and aggressors in the middle with pedro and an lt, with scouts, intercessors, and dreadnoughts covering the flanks, vanguard inceptors and a jump chaplain providing my mobile element. It seems life the ancient is handy but the ld buff does nothing and it's hard to drop points by cutting models that directly contribute for a model that only contributes when someone dies. Potentially though I can get off a few extra hellblaster shots a game.

Ancients are loving great and if you're going to have a big block of high-value, high-damage infantry like Hellblasters/Devs etc. then you absolutely want to include one. Give him the relic banner too so you're getting to shoot on a 3+.

The Dark Angels version I've played against a couple of times works like this:

Azrael gives the re-roll hits and the 4++
Lt gives the re-roll 1s to wound
Banner gives you the 4+ to shoot again on death
Apothecary picks models back up, so they live again and can even die + shoot again
Plasmaceptors drop in, shoot 3-damage plasma at things, and if they overcharge and die they get to do it again and can get picked back up anyway

Everything deep strikes (in a pod or via jump packs) so it's protected on turn 1 and can show up to hit whatever is highest priority.

Doing something similar with a big block of Guilliman or Pedro/LT and Hellblasters seems like it could be very effective.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I could be wrong, but I thought plasma overcharge vaporizes the weapon user, so they wouldn't be able to muster a final shot with the banner.

Is that only the case with an apothecary trying to revive a model?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Corrode posted:

Ancients are loving great and if you're going to have a big block of high-value, high-damage infantry like Hellblasters/Devs etc. then you absolutely want to include one. Give him the relic banner too so you're getting to shoot on a 3+.

The Dark Angels version I've played against a couple of times works like this:

Azrael gives the re-roll hits and the 4++
Lt gives the re-roll 1s to wound
Banner gives you the 4+ to shoot again on death
Apothecary picks models back up, so they live again and can even die + shoot again
Plasmaceptors drop in, shoot 3-damage plasma at things, and if they overcharge and die they get to do it again and can get picked back up anyway

Everything deep strikes (in a pod or via jump packs) so it's protected on turn 1 and can show up to hit whatever is highest priority.

Doing something similar with a big block of Guilliman or Pedro/LT and Hellblasters seems like it could be very effective.

I'd say ancients are a MUST take for anyone looking to be competitive with Space Marines that isn't running flyer spam. It is a huge Alpha-Strike deterrent, much more than something easily avoided like Auspex scan.

It works best with things like Hellblasters and Inceptors, but really anything will do. I'd say the least useful thing I've found is Devastators simply because Marine Heavy Weapons are just to god drat expensive, and Devastators are just to soft for such an expensive weapon platform.

Early in 8th I gave Devastator spam a try, and while the firepower is great. Things like massed Mortars and other anti-infantry spam still takes them out pretty easily. Their other big problem is as a Marine player you can't really afford to sit still, and Devastators will constantly suffer move and shoot penalties, which do add up. My future list will likely include a single Devastator squad with 2x HB 2x ML just to benefit from the stratagems, but consist mostly of Primaris Marines beyond that.

Even scouts feel the points pinch, because when you compare what you are getting for 11 points on a scout compared to 18 points on an Intercessor it is almost no contest outside of the special deployment. You don't need scouts to set up a screen within your own deployment zone, so really you need to figure out the optimal screen for each of the deployment maps, and figure out basically "what portions of a screen on this map require the presence of scouts?".

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

TheBigAristotle posted:

I could be wrong, but I thought plasma overcharge vaporizes the weapon user, so they wouldn't be able to muster a final shot with the banner.

Is that only the case with an apothecary trying to revive a model?

Nope, just any model removed a casualty has the option of either shooting or fighting again on a 4+ or 3+ sans relic banner. The circumstances of death are irrelevant. I'll also say that I think Apothecaries are worthless.

You're better off just bringing a couple more Marines.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Floppychop posted:

Sternguard is your only real iffy unit. They're just a touch overpriced.

Dropping your tac squads to 5 models may be helpful too. That way you can load a squad and an HQ into a razorback.

Interesting format. I wonder what Scion players do since they really only have one HQ.

No reason to drop an hq into the razorback though, since the sternguard + hqs would all go in the storm eagle to get dropped off in rapid fire range of stuff.

I'm definitely struggling to figure out the meta, since there won't be multiples of non troops. I think it'll end up being things like big blocks of necron warriors, cultist bombs, guardians+wave serpents, and anything else that has good troops and dedicated transports.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Uroboros posted:

Nope, just any model removed a casualty has the option of either shooting or fighting again on a 4+ or 3+ sans relic banner. The circumstances of death are irrelevant. I'll also say that I think Apothecaries are worthless.

I think the Apothecary has value in the list I described, because plasmaceptors are expensive and part of the value is having the very resilient block sitting right in your opponent's face. If you were going to have a Hellblaster-focused gunline though then yeah just take 2 more Hellblasters instead.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Gunblades are real and they're the most effective weapon man has made since the AK-47.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DrPop posted:

Gunblades are real and they're the most effective weapon man has made since the AK-47.

Ok so

Bear with me for a sec

So

We take an Ak 47 and

And

We stick a blade on it and call it
The AKnife-47

Holy poo poo

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

DrPop posted:

Real life Custodian spotted.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
What would you suggest dropping to get an ancient?

At 2k I have pedro, primaris lt, jump chaplain with fist of vengeance, 2x5 hellblasters and intercessors, 5 sniper scouts, 3 inceptors, 3 aggressors, 6 devs with 3 lc and hb, 5 vanguard (lightly equipped, one hammer and a few shields but mostly chainswords), redemptor, ironclad, and a lascannon razorback.

I'm leaning towards dropping the razorback since with so few armor assets it can get focused on but I'm worried about my AT. Without it though I can fit an ancient and probably an apothecary.

I could maybe replace it with a lascannon tarantula as well and see how that works

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 16, 2018

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Warhammer TV just announced on facebook the FAQ is dropping today. They're going to go through it on twitch Facebook at 4:30 PM BST.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

chutche2 posted:

What would you suggest dropping to get an ancient?

At 2k I have pedro, primaris lt, jump chaplain with fist of vengeance, 2x5 hellblasters and intercessors, 5 sniper scouts, 3 inceptors, 3 aggressors, 6 devs with 3 lc and hb, 5 vanguard (lightly equipped, one hammer and a few shields but mostly chainswords), redemptor, ironclad, and a lascannon razorback.

I'm leaning towards dropping the razorback since with so few armor assets it can get focused on but I'm worried about my AT. Without it though I can fit an ancient and probably an apothecary.

I could maybe replace it with a lascannon tarantula as well and see how that works

I'd trash the chaplain and Dreads and Razorback and turn that into more hellblasters and an Ancient personally.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Warhammer TV just announced on facebook the FAQ is dropping today. They're going to go through it on twitch Facebook at 4:30 PM BST.

Finally. Excited to see whether all this wait was worth it.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Uroboros posted:

I've yet to field the apothecary I got free from a friend, but the only place I've considered using him is near my aggressors. Not worth it?

Won my escalation match for the third week running, had a big blob of snipers, devastators and intercessors and a captain and lieutenant nearby, aggressors off to the right on an objective and within 6 of the captain, and it was a lovely day. Helped that I killed the opposing predator with an autocannon on turn 1. And that it blew up after a command point re-roll of blowing up.

I'm excited to throw my Primaris ancient into that firing line on the next round, 1500 points. Maybe break out the hellblasters, or another 5 intercessors.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

TheBigAristotle posted:

I've yet to field the apothecary I got free from a friend, but the only place I've considered using him is near my aggressors. Not worth it?

Won my escalation match for the third week running, had a big blob of snipers, devastators and intercessors and a captain and lieutenant nearby, aggressors off to the right on an objective and within 6 of the captain, and it was a lovely day. Helped that I killed the opposing predator with an autocannon on turn 1. And that it blew up after a command point re-roll of blowing up.

I'm excited to throw my Primaris ancient into that firing line on the next round, 1500 points. Maybe break out the hellblasters, or another 5 intercessors.

Apothecaries are only worth it near units like Terminators or Aggressors. That way they at least have a chance of bringing their points back. Completely not worth it near stuff like Tac Marines.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Probably covered recently but are we expecting to see any other Primarchs on the 40k tabletop beyond Guilliman? I know they've had a few in 30k but I'm curious if they're expected to survive 10,000 years and show up at my local game store.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TheBigAristotle posted:

Probably covered recently but are we expecting to see any other Primarchs on the 40k tabletop beyond Guilliman? I know they've had a few in 30k but I'm curious if they're expected to survive 10,000 years and show up at my local game store.

You could have a Dark Mechanicum magos with a servo-skull named "Ferrus Manus" I guess?

:shrug:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

TheBigAristotle posted:

There’s rumors all over the place but aside from Magnus and Mortarion who are already out nothing is anything more than rumor.

Of course this FAQ hits the day I go on vacation and can’t really dig into it. I do look forward to seeing 697 new posts by the time I collapse into my hotel room tonight though.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

PantsOptional posted:

There’s rumors all over the place but aside from Magnus and Mortarion who are already out nothing is anything more than rumor.

Of course this FAQ hits the day I go on vacation and can’t really dig into it. I do look forward to seeing 697 new posts by the time I collapse into my hotel room tonight though.

They'll all be about Custodes, one way or another.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
The Lion is confirmed to be alive and well, sleeping deep in the Rock, so it's only a matter of time for him.

Russ, the Khan, and probably Vulkan are loving around in the warp and/or the webway and could return whenever the plot requires.

Dorn was never confirmed dead, only his hand (or hands, I forget which) was found. So he may well drop by at some point. Hopefully with giant power fists.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Fulgrim and Angron are both extremely likely.

The new Morathi kit is a headswap and two arms away from being Fulgrim 2.0 already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Groetgaffel posted:

Dorn was never confirmed dead, only his hand (or hands, I forget which) was found. So he may well drop by at some point. Hopefully with giant power fists.

The Fist of Dorn is a hammer, so I'm gonna go ahead and expect hammerfists