Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

amigolupus posted:

Other than what's been mentioned, definitely check out Gundam: The Origin manga, Garma of Space Island and Gundam Sousei.

I read Sousei, it was very good! I have Origin on my list of things to read, the artwork's amazing at least. Never heard of Garma of Space Island though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Oh Ganota no Onna is quite fun as well, if you're interested in an AU where Char is a woman working in an office and she has a romance with Garma.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Someone recorded the 00 sequel teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNMyPoeDSgA

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
So there's actually going to be another season? Were the people saying the sequel was going to be a stage play getting it confused with the stage play adaptation that was also announced? Or will there be two stage plays? Or two stage plays and a sequel?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Droyer posted:

Oh Ganota no Onna is quite fun as well, if you're interested in an AU where Char is a woman working in an office and she has a romance with Garma.

Considering the market for this kind of stuff in Japan and the immense body of manga that actually get published, I really wonder about the kind of comics that don't get published.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Droyer posted:

I think the romantic target is actually supposed to be Kycilia? Unless you're making a joke I'm not picking up on.

It's real good though, and short enough to knock out in an evening.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

chumbler posted:

I think the romantic target is actually supposed to be Kycilia? Unless you're making a joke I'm not picking up on.

It's real good though, and short enough to knock out in an evening.

I might be misremembering but I thought it was the youngest sibling?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Droyer posted:

Garma/Carla was her dumbass friend.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Droyer posted:

Yeah, but Kycilia is the youngest sibling in Ganota. Garma is turned into a cousin.

Greblin
Mar 12, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

So there's actually going to be another season? Were the people saying the sequel was going to be a stage play getting it confused with the stage play adaptation that was also announced? Or will there be two stage plays? Or two stage plays and a sequel?

As far as I can tell, there's a stage play which is a retelling of the series, a live radio drama sequel thing that was done yesterday, and then whatever this new project is.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So just assuming the 00 thing is a stage play, are stage plays rare or do they normally get animated teasers and announcements of their own like this? It seems like overkill for what seems like a minor thing really?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well 00 was moderately successful so its not completely out of the blue but, uh

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I guess I just don't "get" theatre because I don't see how something that involves wars with giant robots is supposed to work on a stage.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It'd be nice to see 00 with a budget. Part of what put me off of it, apart from the wasted potential I saw in a more lowtech Gundam show, was just how cheap it looked at times.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

BattleMaster posted:

I guess I just don't "get" theatre because I don't see how something that involves wars with giant robots is supposed to work on a stage.
I mean people get dragons and poo poo in stageplays, giant robots are possible.

Or you could have people dress up as robots. Nobody goes to theater for gritty realism.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Well, there's that prequel Nier Automata stage-play (it was written and done before Automata was even revealed IIRC) and Fate Grand Order has a stage play adaptation for its sixth singularity. I've seen clips of both and while they're not for me, I can see how fans could enjoy it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BattleMaster posted:

I assume you could animate some mecha action for key portions and project it on a screen in the middle, with spotlights illuminating the relevant "cockpit" as the actors do their thing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Personally I want a giant clockwork automaton of a Gundam that looks like it was scifi from the 1600's to be running around in this play.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Truly the only way the 00 Stage play plays out.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Argas posted:

Well, there's that prequel Nier Automata stage-play (it was written and done before Automata was even revealed IIRC) and Fate Grand Order has a stage play adaptation for its sixth singularity. I've seen clips of both and while they're not for me, I can see how fans could enjoy it.

There's multiple plays. The first one was made a while before Automata was announced and covers A2 and Anemone's history before the game. The other full play is about a failed YoRHa experiment.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Stage plays are pretty common for Japanese media. There's Phoenix Wright, Personas 3 and 4, Sailor Moon (a bunch), the already-linked Resident Evil...

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Have their been previous Gundam ones then? Mostly curious if there have been simply to know if Banrise gave them any kind of build up and hype like this.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

chiasaur11 posted:

There's multiple plays. The first one was made a while before Automata was announced and covers A2 and Anemone's history before the game. The other full play is about a failed YoRHa experiment.

Ozymandias has the moves:

https://streamable.com/7lvw6

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
i want a Big O play for the sake of a megadeus ex machina

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Mimir posted:

i want a Big O play for the sake of a megadeus ex machina

I mean stage plays, actors, and sound sets were a recurring motif in that series so yeah

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
Comic Walker has been releasing the Origins manga a chapter at a time, in English and fully colored. Is it available in full color anywhere else? From what I can tell, other English releases are either in black and white, or with only a few pages in color.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

taichara posted:

So now it's looking like G00 may have an actual sequel of some kind on the way after all.

00 rules, so I'll happily take more of it.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Monaghan posted:

00 rules, so I'll happily take more of it.

Hopefully it’s more Second half S1 quality, and not S2/Trailblazer quality

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
So I've finally started watching Victory and is Katejina's heel turn supposed to be a surprise? She was pretty nonchalant in episode 1 with her "they all deserved to die so no biggie that Zanscare just wiped out my hometown" remark. Chronicle getting beaten up by Uso in the cockpit was pretty great too. Not really into the constant 3 piece transformation but I really like the bug suits for Zanscare.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well her attitude in episode one makes more sense when you realize it's actually episode 4

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Nessus posted:

A whole lot of people think to leap immediately to "bad writing" when they don't like something. I mean, sometimes the writing is actually bad, but it is possible to enjoy bad writing and not enjoy good writing.

I am late to replying to this, but this is like one of my biggest pet peeves. And sometimes its combine with people who think writing is just plot.

I think people go into media with like, vaguely define "rules", and if they don't like something on just like a gut level they often use their rules as an excuse for why. I mean its not too dissimilar to nerds who want to dislike a movie before watching it, so once they do the only thing they are looking for is "plot holes", so afterwards they have a convenient excuse for why its bad.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well her attitude in episode one makes more sense when you realize it's actually episode 4

True but Katejina in general seems a bit off and honestly, I kind of like it. Chronicle is also not as terrible as the rest of the BESPA characters introduced so far. He's pretty mild and not very good as his job but I'm only up to episode 8 so I'm sure it'll change. Aside from knowing the bare bones of Katejina's arc I'm coming into Victory blind and it's been pretty weird so far.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

The secret is... despite looking like Exia, the Graham Gundam was a UNION FLAG the whole time!

*runs off hooting "HOWARD" "DARYL" into the night*

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
A dank new Gundam series is getting announced on the 20th of April. My money's still on a remake of the original series.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A dank new Gundam series is getting announced on the 20th of April. My money's still on a remake of the original series.

Come onnnnnnn Frozen Teardrop.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

drat, we've really had a lot of animated Gundam stuff this decade, haven't we? I think we've even had more than the 90's did at this point.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Gaia Gear?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

chumbler posted:

Come onnnnnnn Frozen Teardrop.

I hope it's something original.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raxivace posted:

drat, we've really had a lot of animated Gundam stuff this decade, haven't we? I think we've even had more than the 90's did at this point.

90s: F91, Stardust Memory, Victory, G Gundam, Wing, X, Endless Waltz, Turn A

2010s: Unicorn, Trailblazer, beginning G, AGE, Build Fighters, Build Fighters Try, G-Reco, Gundam-San, The Origin movies, IBO, Thunderbolt, Twilight Axis, Build Divers...

I think so, yeah. 90s had five full run series, two OVAs, and a movie. 2010s so far have three OVAs, seven movies, two full run series, four half runs series, and a lot of miscellaneous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
the author of unicorn and riddhe’s voice actor are guests at the event so it’s most likely something unicorn related