Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

What a round, holy poo poo. Even if we're not playing with morale rules this mission, I kinda feel like that should trigger some guts checks.

Also, those redesigns look great. I maybe wouldn't have dismissed protos out of hand entirely if I wasn't so put off by the art. I'll have to look at them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I recognize at least two of them from FD posting on 4chan

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

#10 here. Is it just me or are all those Basilisks just running away? Because if they get away that could compromise our "Kill Everyone" mission.

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Adventure comes from insufficient planning.

jng2058 posted:

#10 here. Is it just me or are all those Basilisks just running away? Because if they get away that could compromise our "Kill Everyone" mission.

#2, the same thought has occurred to me but I personally can't do anything about it. I need to advance for the Turkina Z.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
#7 here did I get the viper and the train this turn? Nice!

Might jump to 1920 and kill some infantry as a set up for next turn.

Edit: although I’m still thinking

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

jng2058 posted:

Is it just me or are all those Basilisks just running away?

They don't handle hills like 'Mechs and they don't have jump jets, they're taking the shortest path.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Original Proto art is just... so dumb

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

PoptartsNinja posted:

Double Edit: Heat damage to infantry is done to make 'Mechs much more passively (and obviously) dangerous to things like planetary militia. If you can't safely anti-'Mech without semi-expensive heat resistant gear there's less incentive to raise million man armies when that Clan Gunbox can crank its heat and become inimical to life.

I like this change, I am wondering how it's going to affect the story in general though. There's multiple times where 'Mech's have fought in cities, and if a 'Mech is hot enough to kill exposed humans it's definitely hot enough to ignite small fires in a city or forest. That might be an interesting change to the Ares conventions, no fighting in a city or forest for fear of burning it down.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

PoptartsNinja posted:

They don't handle hills like 'Mechs and they don't have jump jets, they're taking the shortest path.

Cool. To the death, then. :commissar:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alright I'm in position to probably get to the other secondary objective in time. Assuming jumping to 2116 (lower) doesn't get me killed this turn.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Someone (or several someones) did redesign the older ProtoMechs to fit the Society's visual style and they look pretty great:

The new design kinda look like WH40K Tau armor/suits, especially the head.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Someone (or several someones) did redesign the older ProtoMechs to fit the Society's visual style and they look pretty great:

Yeesh, those original designs. Someone definitely had a hard on there for out of place facial features and extreme anthropomorphism, no matter how stupid and derpy they looked...

The functional looking designs are definitely a lot cleaner and something an actual military might field.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Those redone Protomechs look like Front Mission Wanzers.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I have a soft spot for TRO:3060 for giving me the Hauptmann, Barghest and Blitzkrieg, but there's three categories of machines in that book:

-Lyran Mechs
-IIc Mechs
-Ugly as gently caress

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Defiance Industries posted:

I have a soft spot for TRO:3060 for giving me the Hauptmann, Barghest and Blitzkrieg, but there's three categories of machines in that book:

-Lyran Mechs
-IIc Mechs
-Ugly as gently caress

The Buccaneer is okay-looking, at least.

It also rocks.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

GhostStalker posted:

The functional looking designs are definitely a lot cleaner and something an actual military might field.

They look much closer to the Sprite, which is a pretty damned good-looking design.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Defiance Industries posted:

-Lyran Mechs
-IIc Mechs
-Ugly as gently caress

You take that back about the Cougar or I'll see you on the field at dawn. :colbert:

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

GhostStalker posted:

Yeesh, those original designs. Someone definitely had a hard on there for out of place facial features and extreme anthropomorphism, no matter how stupid and derpy they looked...

Protomechs were originally supposed to be the next big Clan innovation, weren't they? Which sorta explains trying to turn them into totems, I guess.

Protomechs were an odd duck. In the novels they sorta show up around on the outskirts of Operation Bulldog and Operation Serpent, and they're talked up... and then the FedCom Civil War happens, and no-one mentions them ever again.

I'm glad they didn't. Big, stompy 'Mechs are the way to go.

I don't suppose anyone ever tried to create rules for Mazinger Z as a BattleMech?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I remember a few years ago, someone in this thread brought up the subject of Protomechs. I decided to look them up on Sarna and my initial impression was that they looked like something that wandered out of a Rifts sourcebook.

Time has not lessened that impression in the slightest.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I'm jumping to 1321 Upper and making a start on the Sprites with TSEMP, APGausses and a TSM kick, cooling off or potentially absorbing some plasma hits.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

W.T. Fits posted:

I remember a few years ago, someone in this thread brought up the subject of Protomechs. I decided to look them up on Sarna and my initial impression was that they looked like something that wandered out of a Rifts sourcebook.

Time has not lessened that impression in the slightest.

CL-901-GB Glitterbull

Class: Laser Resistant Armored Infantry Personnel Assault Unit.
Crew: One
M.D.C. by Location:
* Head-150
Hands (2)-75 each
Arms (2)-200 each
Legs (2)-400 each
Leg Stabilizers, Pylons (2)-50 each
Boom Gun (2, right shoulder, left shoulder)-150
Rear Ammo Drum (1)-150
Chest Spotlight (1)-5
** Main Body-500

Weapons Systems
CGB-10 Rapid Acceleration Electromagnetic "Boom Gun" Rail Gun (2)
Mini Missiles (15)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

painedforever posted:

I'm glad they didn't. Big, stompy 'Mechs are the way to go.

I don't suppose anyone ever tried to create rules for Mazinger Z as a BattleMech?

Depending on the adaptation Mazinger Z towers over an Atlas, is much faster than a Fire Moth (without the Jet Scrander), takes absurd amounts of punishment without even scratching the paint, and only weighs 20-40 tons. I don't think it'd be a good fit.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Are we going to see any vehicles post timeskip? In an environment where mechs don't get DHS any longer then HO NELLY they're suddenly super duper amazing.

Like good god running in to a Demolisher II refit with dual AC20s that it can fire on ultra for 15 rounds + an LRM 15 /some HMGs.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 16, 2018

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

GhostStalker posted:

The original protomech art looks like the way medieval scholars drew animals that had only been described to them second or third hand.

Like someone saw the actual thing (revised drawing) and then word of mouth eventually reached an artist and then they drew them how they were described.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Could someone kindly post a link to where in the thread the rules for the TSEMP were discussed? I don't have access to the book there in and I'm coming up empty looking on my phone.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think it's along the lines of, hit something with it, if they roll over.. 8? maybe, they shut down, otherwise they suffer +2 to hit interference on their next turn firing.

Successive hits in the same turn lower the roll needed for them to shut down, stacking to.. 3? If you use TSEMP it's worth focusing fire to have the best shutdown chance possible, although if you really need cover from say, a Turkina Z or Hellbringer, then spreading your shots to get that +2 debuff on what are already poo poo pilots can really save your butt.

Lastly it can only be fired every other turn.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I wish the 1st and 2nd Gen Protos would get re-imaginings like what were posted last page, in the same fashion as the new Classics for the old Unseen.

I also wish their rules were completely redone so they were 2 to a point instead of 5 and those two were a single 'unit' instead of five separate units, but the time for that came and went decades ago.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Gwaihir posted:

I think it's along the lines of, hit something with it, if they roll over.. 8? maybe, they shut down, otherwise they suffer +2 to hit interference on their next turn firing.

Successive hits in the same turn lower the roll needed for them to shut down, stacking to.. 3? If you use TSEMP it's worth focusing fire to have the best shutdown chance possible, although if you really need cover from say, a Turkina Z or Hellbringer, then spreading your shots to get that +2 debuff on what are already poo poo pilots can really save your butt.

It varies by unit type (vehicles are easier to shut down with TSEMP), but as a general rule 7+ is a +2 penalty and 9+ forces a shutdown, anything lower and the hit can do nothing. It's a fairly rare weapon but that lucky hit that renders a BattleMech immobile is hugely crippling if you can follow it up with strong targeted hits.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strobe posted:

You take that back about the Cougar or I'll see you on the field at dawn. :colbert:

The Cougar counts as a IIc, except the original version is a Puma.

painedforever posted:

Protomechs were originally supposed to be the next big Clan innovation, weren't they?

They're less a breakthrough in Clan design as they are a breakthrough in belt-tightening. The reason the Jags invented them in the first place was that they have all these aerospace pilots nobody wants and the Kerensky Cluster is going to run out of the resources to build Mechs with by 3100. Since the Wolf OZ alone has more resources in it than the entire Cluster combined, there's really no purpose to having them in the current timeline. I don't think they would exist at all if not for the Jags trying to cut corners HARD on their homeworld garrisons.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 16, 2018

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Gwaihir posted:

PoptartsNinja posted:

It varies by unit type (vehicles are easier to shut down with TSEMP), but as a general rule 7+ is a +2 penalty and 9+ forces a shutdown, anything lower and the hit can do nothing. It's a fairly rare weapon but that lucky hit that renders a BattleMech immobile is hugely crippling if you can follow it up with strong targeted hits.

Thank you both.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

CL-901-GB Glitterbull

fuuuuck

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Thank you both.

And YOU take a +2 penalty on your shots the next round.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Hey PTN! That jaegermech should get a piloting roll for being kicked I think!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Affi posted:

Technically it also took massive damage, but so does everything hit by an rHPPC.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Affi posted:

You're right, I'll try to correct this when I get home.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
drat what a turn that was. And Mezzanon got to take out the viper before I did even!

Leperflesh if you are planning on moving I could jump 5 to where you are in 1819, fire at the Osteon and kick the tank.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Edit: ^^^ kicks for days!

@PTN: two quick questions (open for anyone who has good game knowledge)

1) does TS activate/turn off before or after the physical combat phase in a turn?

2) what do multiple TSEMP hits in the same turn do? multiple chances at shutdown? increased chance of shutdown per roll?

The two turn options I have been mulling over involve #2, #3, and myself jumping at the savage wolf and either:

a) all throwing a PPC at the savage wolf, or
b) all throwing a tsemp at the savage wolf.

AND kicking a protomech. I'd probably end up in 1216.

Which would be better, higher chance of shutdown on the wolf, or just 3 ppc hits?

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 16, 2018

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

1) does TS activate/turn off before or after the physical combat phase in a turn?

Activates and deactivates in the heat phase, which happens after all attacks for the turn. If you push yourself hot enough to activate it you'll have it on the following turn.

quote:

2) what do multiple TSEMP hits in the same turn do? multiple chances at shutdown? increased chance of shutdown per roll?

+1 to the roll per additional TSEMP Cannon to a maximum of +4 (if you're shooting at the target with 5 TSEMP Cannons)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Leperflesh if you are planning on moving I could jump 5 to where you are in 1819, fire at the Osteon and kick the tank.

This is my current plan. Should put me into firing range while the other secondary objective still has 1 turn before starting up. The weak point in this plan is #2 when I jump to 2513 facing north, because I'll have to leave my back to whatever is south of that hex and could eat poo poo getting shot up in the rear, but it's the only way to line up the 7 to 8 hex run move I need on the third turn.

so this turn I believe if I end my jump facing 2117, I can still kick the mech in 2016 (you can kick anything in your front three hexes, right?), protect my back from backshots, and if I want I can torso-twist to shoot at 2415. Or just shoot 2016 in the back, but that's within minimum range so it's actually a harder shot.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Looks ok. How close do you have to be at the end of turn 3? You could land at two facing eastwards a bit and spend a couple MP rotating before heading upwards.

• Locked thread