Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
So back to regeneration chat, I want to add that regeneration has some baggage that indestructible doesn't have. Indestructability is self-explanatory: can't be destroyed. Maybe new players get confused about reducing toughness to zero, but it's nothing compared to regeneration. I'd see new players try to use a regeneration ability to bring back a creature that was just destroyed by a Shock or something, immediately after. Or somethings later on in the turn, or turns later like it was unearth without the exile rider. All those are pretty logical interpretations of "regeneration". It was worse than the problems with "to your mana pool" (lemme go find a Forest with my Llanowar Elves) or split second (I had arguments with players that yes, they did still need to have priority to play a split second spell; this led to a player throwing a full soda at another player over an Extirpate, good times).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AnEdgelord posted:

Mox Amber will be amazing if there is a shell capable of exploiting it, but absent that its gonna be a dud. I would only ever buy into it if I knew there was an archetype that ran it and not one moment before.

It's more Fast Ramp than Fast Mana and it's really bad color fixing. I would be really surprised if it's ever "amazing" in any shell.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

vandalism posted:

Is mox amber gonna be 4 of in every deck? Or just most decks?

It sucks to have a mana rock that can be deactivated by Ravenous Chupacabra, and it's legendary itself.

The only color with a 1-drop legendary is green, and green has Llanowar Elves back. Other colors need at least 2 and at that point, it's... just a rock. That's legendary. That can be deactivated by Ravenous Chupacabra.

Legendary creatures and planeswalkers is a pretty nice list, yeah, and as a zero-mana mana-producing artifact it's definitely got potential, but needing something else there really limits it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

precision posted:

Mox Amber seems like it would only be very good if it said "permanent" instead of "creature or Planeswalker"

And then it would be too good because it could tap for 1 no matter what

That's not how colors work.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It'd let Legion's Landing qualify but that's pretty much the start and end of the list.

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it
If legendaries is a deck it will be the first time ever, and the mox is hindered by the thing already needing to be in play which is kind of counter to what moxes want to do to begin with. So it's probably meh.

That Karn though, if there is a tiny window where it's around $20 then it's certainly a safe buy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Some Numbers posted:

That's not how colors work.

You're right, I was thinking that "add one mana" would happen even if there was no color, I hadn't looked at the card recently

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It'd let Legion's Landing qualify but that's pretty much the start and end of the list.

Oath of Nissa + 2x Mox Amber would allow for a turn 1 Tibalt. Obviously this scenario is too powerful to be allowed.

I mean sure you could use a red creature instead, but its nowhere near as impressive.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

I'm sorry you were dropped on day 2 to a cheater. :(

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
there is no universe where karn does not hit $60 at some point while it's in standard

maybe higher

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Mox Amber is going in my Sultai value deck running Jace, VP and motherfucking Ashiooooooook! :toot:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mcmagic posted:

It's more Fast Ramp than Fast Mana and it's really bad color fixing. I would be really surprised if it's ever "amazing" in any shell.

Eh, if there are a number of cheap hybrid mana legendary creatures or planeswalkers in Return to Return to Ravnica (or whatever the sets after the Core Set are) then Mox Amber might be pretty good color fixing. The card is unimpressive though and it's not particularly playable in eternal formats except maybe in Baral Storm if there's some other way to turn it on or use it as fuel.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Paradoxical Moxen when??

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I look forward to converting my legendary wildcards into karn's because LOL at buying standard only cards in paper anymore.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

myDad posted:

Paradoxical Moxen when??

I want to know the same thing. I saw someone on a stream last week put up consistent wins with the deck below and it made me really want to try it.

Deck: Aetherflux

//Main
4 Aether Hub
2 Aetherflux Reservoir
3 Battle at the Bridge
4 Cultivator's Caravan
4 Fetid Pools
4 Foundry Inspector
2 Inventors' Fair
3 Island
3 Metalspinner's Puzzleknot
4 Metalwork Colossus
3 Paradoxical Outcome
4 Prophetic Prism
2 Scavenger Grounds
4 Servo Schematic
4 Spire of Industry
5 Swamp
2 Tezzeret the Schemer
3 The Immortal Sun

//Sideboard
2 Aethersphere Harvester
4 Glint-Nest Crane
3 Hostage Taker
1 Padeem, Consul of Innovation
2 Skysovereign, Consul Flagship
3 Spell Pierce

Display deck statistics

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Hellsau posted:

Eh, if there are a number of cheap hybrid mana legendary creatures or planeswalkers in Return to Return to Ravnica (or whatever the sets after the Core Set are) then Mox Amber might be pretty good color fixing. The card is unimpressive though and it's not particularly playable in eternal formats except maybe in Baral Storm if there's some other way to turn it on or use it as fuel.

Yeah but it doesn't help you cast any of those creatures if you don't already have that color mana. And the gold ones are mana intensive.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The only thing about McMagic's magic posting that is bad are his ellipses.

I'm definitely a better poster only because I did demon research post series on page 666, that's the only reason.

I remember this, and I remember being extremely confused why you kept it up on page 667.

It was because I changed the android app from showing 40 posts per page to 20 in the middle of that page and forgot about it.

LifeLynx posted:

So back to regeneration chat, I want to add that regeneration has some baggage that indestructible doesn't have. Indestructability is self-explanatory: can't be destroyed. Maybe new players get confused about reducing toughness to zero, but it's nothing compared to regeneration.

Indestructible has rules baggage too.

You can't choose an indestructible creature with Drop of Honey or Porphyry Nodes.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

AlternateNu posted:

Mox Amber is going in my Sultai value deck running Jace, VP and motherfucking Ashiooooooook! :toot:

Sultai is low-key the best good stuff/value colors. Incidentally I’d take a decklist whenever you feel generous.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Why exactly is new Karn good? How far do we have to upgrade Jace, Cunning Castaway to be a $30 card?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Are there any 3 color combinations that stick out as particularly bad at making a goodstuff.dec? They all seem pretty decent but I have large gaps in my knowledge of cards.

Personally I've always liked Esper and Bant the most.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TheDemon posted:

Why exactly is new Karn good? How far do we have to upgrade Jace, Cunning Castaway to be a $30 card?

Karn is colorless, draws a card every turn, represents extra threats (silvered cards), works well in multiples, and can make a quick clock once control is established.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I think ashiok is truly bad.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Esper isn't very good at doing generic good stuff. RUG is almost Strictly Worse than any other shard/wedge with 2 of its 3 colors. Bant is probably the ultimate midrange color in terms of value creatures, but the lack of good interaction (at least in modern) kinda holds it back.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

precision posted:

Are there any 3 color combinations that stick out as particularly bad at making a goodstuff.dec? They all seem pretty decent but I have large gaps in my knowledge of cards.

Personally I've always liked Esper and Bant the most.

Esper and Temur are the only ones that have never been a top tier choice in Modern. Everything else has kind of had their chance to shine.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I guess when I say Esper I really mean "Azorius Control that splashes Black" and it's true that isn't generic goodstuff

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TheDemon posted:

The number of 4 cost planeswalkers that draw you cards without severe specifications while ticking up on loyalty are vanishingly few.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I think the Mardu deck in Modern might be the first time in Magic history that a RWB deck was good

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

LifeLynx posted:

So back to regeneration chat, I want to add that regeneration has some baggage that indestructible doesn't have. Indestructability is self-explanatory: can't be destroyed. Maybe new players get confused about reducing toughness to zero, but it's nothing compared to regeneration. I'd see new players try to use a regeneration ability to bring back a creature that was just destroyed by a Shock or something, immediately after. Or somethings later on in the turn, or turns later like it was unearth without the exile rider. All those are pretty logical interpretations of "regeneration". It was worse than the problems with "to your mana pool" (lemme go find a Forest with my Llanowar Elves) or split second (I had arguments with players that yes, they did still need to have priority to play a split second spell; this led to a player throwing a full soda at another player over an Extirpate, good times).

How on earth did I not go through these things in 2008? The biggest gotcha that I ever went through was learning that combat damage used the stack in 2009, and then it all went away two months later.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

TheKingofSprings posted:

The number of 4 cost planeswalkers that draw you cards without severe specifications while ticking up on loyalty are vanishingly few.

Also, his -1 synergizes amazingly - not only does your opponent have to kill Karn outright, but even if they do, a second Karn can get you the card the first one exiled!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Elyv posted:

I think the Mardu deck in Modern might be the first time in Magic history that a RWB deck was good

Mardu was plenty good in khans standard and also mardu vehicles is a thing. Unless you meant modern only?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ShaneB posted:

Mardu was plenty good in khans standard and also mardu vehicles is a thing. Unless you meant modern only?

No, I just forgot. It's still been very rare historically, although reasonably common lately.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I like to see Mardu doing well, its no Grixis but it occupies a solid third place for my favorite color combo after Sultai.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Mardu is probably tied with Esper as my favorite 3-color set. It's nice to see it get some love. (I like pretty much anything with White and Black though.)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Elyv posted:

Alot of the Mardu deck has already been around. Who was playing Mardu tokens a couple years ago here? That is basically the deck+Bedlam Reveler.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

precision posted:

I guess when I say Esper I really mean "Azorius Control that splashes Black" and it's true that isn't generic goodstuff

I've always thought of Esper in Modern as "BW goodstuff splashing blue for Snapcaster Mage". I've been toying with one form or another of an Esper Planeswalkers list for Modern for a while now but have yet to work up the courage to sleeve it up in paper. Maybe Jace pushes that type of deck to an FNM-playable level but he hasn't been lighting Modern on fire or anything yet.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The truth about blue as a colour in Modern is that it’s kinda bad

E: to clarify, Snapcaster is a very good card when casting non-blue cards and Jace is a good card in theory, but the rest of blue’s business consists of unreliable cantrips and turn too slow counterspells

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 16, 2018

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That's because all the good blue cards are banned :ssh:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TheKingofSprings posted:

The truth about blue as a colour in Modern is that it’s kinda bad

Dig Through Time
Gitaxian Probe
Mental Misstep
Ponder
Preordain
Treasure Cruise

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Dig Through Time
Gitaxian Probe
Mental Misstep
Ponder
Preordain
Treasure Cruise

The Shortest Path posted:

That's because all the good blue cards are banned :ssh:

I don’t say Goblins is a good legacy deck because Recruiter exists, don’t be obtuse

E: and as long as we’re playing with those silly rules Green has 8 different cards banned and the top end of those are just as strong

While I’m at it, in other colours:
R: 5
W/B: 2

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Well yeah that's what I mean, blue is bad in modern because they kept banning cards until it got to that point.

I really want Wizards to ban Grapeshot or something so they can unban Ponder and Preordain, but I know it will never happen. :(