Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Extraordinary legal hurdles had to be crossed for the warrant to be issued. The ACLU agrees, and sees it as a sign that law is working. It's difficult to make a different case.

Not extraordinary at all, and definitely not extraordinary enough. The law is allowing them to gently caress over an rear end in a top hat. In that limited and politically expedient sense, it's working.

If you want extraordinary hurdles, make justifying busting ACR an additional requirement of the search warrant
with an actually substantive burden of proof like clear and convincing. Appoint a special master (i.e. the judiciary, not the prosecution) to do the taint review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't buy it. If it was anyone but Trump, let's say Obama's lawyer got his office tossed, do you really think the ACLU's position would be, "well, we can't say for sure that this public figure *hasn't* been conspiring with his lawyer to do crimes, and we trust the government when it says that there was exceptional scrutiny and oversight when this decision was made."?

I'm on their mailing list because I donated, but this is pretty much the last straw for me. I originally joined up in '04 because they were a relatively apolitical organization that lobbied and litigated for privacy and individual civil rights, but since 2017 it's become increasingly apparent that the national organization cares more about what is bad for Trump and the right wing than good for civil rights. They've also been increasingly throwing their weight behind other cultural issues that are only tangential to civil rights. Getting Trump out of office would almost certainly be tactically good for civil rights, but deciding to be selective about their principles rather than endorsing an alternative candidate isn't the way they should be going about it.

quote:

Hark! I hear a call in the distance!

I must save Dead Reckoning from his dumbass arguments!
gently caress, he shat all over himself
Goddammit, Dead Reckoning what the gently caress did you eat?

Except its clearly dumb this time instead of simply wrong due to DR's bad assumptions.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yeah they could absolutely put more hurdles in the way, but cohen wasn’t really much of a lawyer and more instead the head of a vast criminal enterprise that includes fraud and money laundering at just the start of the list of criminal charges.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I mean what's bad for trump and the right wing at this point is usually good for civil liberties so it's not surprising that an organization focused on the defense of civil rights/liberties has been looking like they're just pissed at trump and his camp followers.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

CommieGIR posted:

And that's before we even get into that there is a reason almost no actual worthwhile lawyers want to touch Trump.

No one wants to touch Trump; the last person who did got paid $130,000 for it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Probably not the last person, since she was talking about it 7 odd years ago. There's probably been a string of NDAs signed that people don't want to fight over because they just want to forget it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

M_Gargantua posted:

Except its clearly dumb this time instead of simply wrong due to DR's bad assumptions.

It's been a while since I clarified this point, but I don't have a problem with people disagreeing with him. It's the dogpiling that occurs whenever his name shows up that bugs me, particularly when there are plenty of driveby shitposters in here.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

The ACLU illustrates it pretty clearly and it is pretty cut and dry legal precedent. You can talk to your lawyer about bribes you made, you can't have your lawyer deliver them. And the AG is going after stuff that isn't even privileged. They are doing this by the book knowing the slightest impropriety will cast doubt on the entire investigation.
Ah yes, the ACLU, whose entire raison d'etre is going along with "pretty cut and dry legal precedent."

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is multiple warrants spanning months of times with mountains of corroborating evidence and multiple levels of independent judicial review.
Cite?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Godholio posted:

It's been a while since I clarified this point, but I don't have a problem with people disagreeing with him. It's the dogpiling that occurs whenever his name shows up that bugs me, particularly when there are plenty of driveby shitposters in here.

You missed out on a few good ones

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Today I learned President Reagan was a huge fan of The Warriors.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

joat mon posted:

Ah yes, the ACLU, whose entire raison d'etre is going along with "pretty cut and dry legal precedent."

Cite?

There were a few articles saying that cohen had been the subject to search warrants looking at his communications and emails for months in the lead up to the raid. Each one of those warrants followed the statutory requirements. This was part of the justification for the full raid because basically none of his communications indicated he was performing any legal services for anyone, let alone the president with whom he had zero email contact in the three months of monitoring.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Poland is getting uhhhh (more in the twitter thread)

https://twitter.com/mycielski/status/985452608356745216

You would think Poland of all countries would hate nazism

Reminder that out of 3,000 members of the Einsatzgruppen made up of Germans, only 24 or so were ever prosecuted. And essentially none of the tens of thousands of Polish, Latvian, Estonian, Ukranian, etc police officers or volunteers who directly committed the extermination of hundreds of thousands of Jews (ans facilitated the extermination of tons of others) during WWII were ever prosecuted by their countries.

Watch Einsatzgruppen on Netflix. It is a depressing as gently caress documentary series but it ends with basically saying all these countries white washed their country's role in the Holocaust, and how some of these countries have resurgent white nationalist anti Semite groups gaining a lot of members.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

There were a few articles saying that cohen had been the subject to search warrants looking at his communications and emails for months in the lead up to the raid. Each one of those warrants followed the statutory requirements. This was part of the justification for the full raid because basically none of his communications indicated he was performing any legal services for anyone, let alone the president with whom he had zero email contact in the three months of monitoring.

Fair enough. Don't see the multiple levels of judicial review yet, though.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

holocaust bloopers posted:

I am happy to see the ACLU weigh in on an incredible event such as the president’s personal lawyer being subject to an FBI raid.
They could have simply chosen not to comment if they felt there wasn't any civil rights issue, but the fact that they chose to endorse it is what shocks me.

It feels like everyone has lost their goddamn minds since Trump got elected, and everyone is about winning and crushing the opposition now, norms and institutions be damned. The ACLU giving a full-throated endorsement to the FBI hoovering up a bunch of attorney-client communications on the assurance that the warrant was sworn out legally and a different set of agents and prosecutors would separate out the relevant ones is not something I could imagine happening ten years ago.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Now we need godholio to come in and tell us we’re being too rough on out deontologist friend.
I guess I can type out, "I think we should adhere to our established rules and codes, rather than bending or breaking them when we think it would yield a better outcome" every time if using the multi-syllable word that means the same thing is too distracting for you. Which is kind of relevant since that's exactly what is happening here. Do you think that granting this extensive of a warrant because "well obviously Cohen is a dirtbag" isn't going to have a chilling effect on attorney-client communications and isn't going to encourage U.S. Attorneys to see how much they can push on attorney-client privilege in the future? Hell, maybe this warrant really was the right and necessary thing, but everyone seems to be blowing by the concerning aspects of this because it's fun to watch the President's lawyer get the "suddenly, Federal Agents" treatment on TV and we're all pretty sure he's dirty.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
All the legal scholars say no....so....no, probably not. Or don't hire a dirtbag as a lawyer who is working in the same building as Russian mobsters and has a long and sordid history with fraud and crime. :shrug:

It's actually kind of hilarious that you think raiding Cohen is going to damage Attorney/Client privilege. He's not a good lawyer.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Bored As gently caress posted:

Watch Einsatzgruppen on Netflix.

Seconding this, it's well produced and doesn't try to be flashy or grab your attention with gimmicks like a lot of documentaries lately.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

CommieGIR posted:

All the legal scholars say no....so....no, probably not. Or don't hire a dirtbag as a lawyer who is working in the same building as Russian mobsters and has a long and sordid history with fraud and crime. :shrug:

It's actually kind of hilarious that you think raiding Cohen is going to damage Attorney/Client privilege. He's not a good lawyer.

what legal scholars?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
What an interesting hill to choose to die on

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
im genuinely curious. a link to what a legal scholar actually said is interesting, saying that legal scholars said something isn't.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

vains posted:

im genuinely curious. a link to what a legal scholar actually said is interesting, saying that legal scholars said something isn't.

Linked before in this thread but here it is again, per Popehat The Search of Trump Lawyer Michael Cohen's Office: What We Can Infer Immediately

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Dead Reckoning posted:

They could have simply chosen not to comment if they felt there wasn't any civil rights issue, but the fact that they chose to endorse it is what shocks me.

It feels like everyone has lost their goddamn minds since Trump got elected, and everyone is about winning and crushing the opposition now, norms and institutions be damned. The ACLU giving a full-throated endorsement to the FBI hoovering up a bunch of attorney-client communications on the assurance that the warrant was sworn out legally and a different set of agents and prosecutors would separate out the relevant ones is not something I could imagine happening ten years ago.
I guess I can type out, "I think we should adhere to our established rules and codes, rather than bending or breaking them when we think it would yield a better outcome" every time if using the multi-syllable word that means the same thing is too distracting for you. Which is kind of relevant since that's exactly what is happening here. Do you think that granting this extensive of a warrant because "well obviously Cohen is a dirtbag" isn't going to have a chilling effect on attorney-client communications and isn't going to encourage U.S. Attorneys to see how much they can push on attorney-client privilege in the future? Hell, maybe this warrant really was the right and necessary thing, but everyone seems to be blowing by the concerning aspects of this because it's fun to watch the President's lawyer get the "suddenly, Federal Agents" treatment on TV and we're all pretty sure he's dirty.

This isn't going to have any kind of chilling effect at all on attorney client privilege because this wasn't a raid of anyone who was actively acting as an attorney. Cohen was in the business of money laundering, fraud, and extortion not legal services. If this was an indiscriminate and illegitimate raid of the office of an actual practicing attorney then there might be a concern.

Cohen isn't Trump's personal attorney in the sense that he provides Trump with any legal counsel on any matters at all. He basically is just a Trump executive that works in the legal side of the house more than he is a practicing attorney himself with regards to the president or Trump, LLC.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bored As gently caress posted:

Reminder that out of 3,000 members of the Einsatzgruppen made up of Germans, only 24 or so were ever prosecuted. And essentially none of the tens of thousands of Polish, Latvian, Estonian, Ukranian, etc police officers or volunteers who directly committed the extermination of hundreds of thousands of Jews (ans facilitated the extermination of tons of others) during WWII were ever prosecuted by their countries.

Watch Einsatzgruppen on Netflix. It is a depressing as gently caress documentary series but it ends with basically saying all these countries white washed their country's role in the Holocaust, and how some of these countries have resurgent white nationalist anti Semite groups gaining a lot of members.

Einsatzgruppen is pretty good.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Maybe the ACLU felt compelled to make a statement because our idiot president claimed that his rights were being violated and the attorney client privilege was being undermined by the Mueller investigation?

Jesus dude you're like that Skinner meme about everyone else being wrong personified. Your own analysis that this could have a chilling effect on attorney-client communications is exactly why the ACLU felt compelled to make a statement.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 16, 2018

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
If you're asking "where's the evidence" at this point, all a poster on Something Awful can reasonably do is point you to the last year of news

joat mon posted:

Fair enough. Don't see the multiple levels of judicial review yet, though.

Like this guy. The answer to your question is not hidden. Please just read the news: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trump’s Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen; Trump Calls It ‘Disgraceful’:

just the basic rear end article first reporting the raid posted:

The searches are a significant intrusion by prosecutors into the dealings of one of Mr. Trump’s closest confidants, and they pose a dilemma for Mr. Trump. He has dismissed Mr. Mueller’s investigation as a “witch hunt,” but these warrants were obtained by an unrelated group of prosecutors. The searches required prior consultation with senior members of Mr. Trump’s own Justice Department.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Since this is tyool 2018 and tweeting is a manner of national discourse, I present you, a sick burn

https://twitter.com/infinite_scream/status/985733552070213632

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

Post this in the GIP current events thread I want to see what happens.

:shrug:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Tell him to sack up and come post it

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

If you think that the ACLU making a statement on something is weird and/or objectively wrong, you may need to recalibrate your moral heading.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

o no guny :ohdear:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Man, Vincent Donofrio is such a creepy motherfucker

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i'm sure trump is right and the DoJ has a vast conspiracy against him and that's how they were actually able to secure a warrant.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm more amazed that people where like THERE WERE NO EMAILS BETWEEN HIM AND TRUMP.

Trump doesn't know how to use a computer guys. Literally. There's no computer on his desks from before. Of course he doesn't send emails.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnP17YCFs8I

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

orange juche posted:

Since this is tyool 2018 and tweeting is a manner of national discourse, I present you, a sick burn

https://twitter.com/infinite_scream/status/985733552070213632

Hahahaha

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

boop the snoot posted:

i'm sure trump is right and the DoJ has a vast conspiracy against him and that's how they were actually able to secure a warrant.

Look up #frazzledrip on twitter if you want to see a conspiracy. This Hillary eats children thing is going insane and now those fake videos are making things worse cause apparently people are loving morons.

We're going down the rabbit hole so be prepared.

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23FRAZZLEDRIP&src=tyah

https://twitter.com/JulieandBrookie/status/985393177216434176

https://twitter.com/yankees10giu/status/985497012161347584

Also, don't go looking for the file cause apparently it might have cp on it or other weird rear end poo poo. Apparently its on the "dark web" somewhere, if the video is even real (I know the content isn't, but the actual file)

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That’s a special kind of high rent crazy that believes in these videos. People like my brother in law, for instance.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I feel sorry for your sister, I hope that guy isn't armed

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't buy it. If it was anyone but Trump, let's say Obama's lawyer got his office tossed, do you really think the ACLU's position would be, "well, we can't say for sure that this public figure *hasn't* been conspiring with his lawyer to do crimes, and we trust the government when it says that there was exceptional scrutiny and oversight when this decision was made."?

I'm on their mailing list because I donated, but this is pretty much the last straw for me. I originally joined up in '04 because they were a relatively apolitical organization that lobbied and litigated for privacy and individual civil rights, but since 2017 it's become increasingly apparent that the national organization cares more about what is bad for Trump and the right wing than good for civil rights. They've also been increasingly throwing their weight behind other cultural issues that are only tangential to civil rights. Getting Trump out of office would almost certainly be tactically good for civil rights, but deciding to be selective about their principles rather than endorsing an alternative candidate isn't the way they should be going about it.

Citations needed.

Here's what the ACLU actually released, and it's far from just poking fun at Trump or being big ole partisan meanies:

quote:

On Tuesday morning, President Trump reacted to the news that the FBI searched the office of his personal attorney, Michael Cohen, by tweeting “Attorney–client privilege is dead!” On Monday night, he called the search “an attack on our country.” Nothing could be further from the truth. While all the facts are not yet known publicly, all indications thus far are that the search was conducted pursuant to the rule of law, and with sign-offs from Trump appointees.

We don’t say this lightly. The ACLU is the nation’s premier defender of privacy, and we’ve long maintained that the right of every American to speak freely to his or her attorney is essential to the legal system. These rights are protected by the Fourth, Fifth, and Sixth Amendments, and we are second to none in defending them — often for people with whom we fundamentally disagree.

But we also believe in the rule of law as an essential foundation for civil liberties and civil rights. And perhaps the first principle of the rule of law is that no one — not even the president, let alone his lawyer — is above the law. And no one, not even the president, can exploit the attorney-client privilege to engage in crime or fraud.

The attorney-client privilege has always included a “crime-fraud exception,” which provides that if you are using the attorney-client relationship to perpetrate a crime, there is no privilege. You have a right to talk in confidence with your attorney about criminal activity, but you can’t use your attorney to accomplish a crime. A mobster suspected of engaging in bribery can consult his attorney about the facts of his alleged bribery without fear that the attorney will disclose those communications. But he has no right to have the lawyer deliver the bribe for him.

The ACLU has long recognized this exception. In fact, the ACLU cited the crime-fraud exception in our efforts to stop the government from concealing evidence of illegal torture by citing the attorney-client privilege.

While the crime-fraud exception is well-established, it is also narrow. And searches of lawyers’ offices should be tightly restricted. The Justice Department’s own guidelines recognize that searching an attorney’s office is not to be done lightly. Unlike ordinary searches, searches of attorney offices require extraordinary approvals from high-level officials — in this instance, from Trump appointees in the Justice Department.

According to the Justice Department’s guidelines on searching the office of an attorney, a “search warrant should be drawn as specifically as possible, consistent with the requirements of the investigation, to minimize the need to search and review privileged material to which no exception applies.” The guidelines go on to say that to protect the attorney-client privilege, “a ‘privilege team’ should be designated, consisting of agents and lawyers not involved in the underlying investigation,” in order to “minimize the intrusion into privileged material.” The burden of proof is on prosecutors to show that they made no use of privileged material and their investigation was not influenced by it. These protections may or may not be sufficient in particular circumstances, but they show that the Justice Department recognizes, and seeks to safeguard, the attorney-client privilege even in those rare circumstances where it seeks to search an attorney’s office.

The New York Times reports that Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, a Trump appointee, signed off on the search. Indeed, all of the top officials involved in the decision to go forward with the search are Republican: Robert Mueller, Rosenstein, and FBI Director Christopher Wray. The interim U.S. Attorney in Manhattan, Geoffrey Berman, is also a Republican, although he reportedly recused himself. That all of these Republican officials approved the search refutes any suggestion that it is a partisan “attack.” And most significantly, the search was conducted pursuant to a warrant issued by a nonpartisan federal magistrate judge.

We don’t know all the reasons and circumstances for the FBI search of Cohen’s office and home. News reports suggest that the focus is on Cohen’s payments to two women, adult film star Stormy Daniels and former Playboy model Karen McDougal to suppress their stories of affairs with Donald Trump, and that these payments may have been illegal. But what is clear is that prosecutors had to overcome high hurdles to obtain the search warrant. That the warrant was issued is not a sign that the attorney-client privilege is dead. It is, on the contrary, a sign that the rule of law is alive.

This statement is as much about reassuring other people that attorney client privilege still exists as it is saying anything about Trump's case. There are probably more than a few people the ACLU works with or represents who don't speak legalese who started flipping out when the president said that attorney-client privilege was dead.

And let's say the ACLU played their cards much closer to their chest and didn't make that statement. Invariably, the following would happen: A journalist will ask them about attorney-client privilege. They'll explain. A journalist will then ask about the Cohen/Trump case and whether it looks like the ACLU should be jumping into save attorney-client privilege. The ACLU will be left either refusing to comment or stating that they don't think there's any basis to argue on Cohen's behalf, given the evidence they have. The result is the same.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Dems losing steam heading into mid-terms, lol if republicans pick up more seats before 2020. They probably won't but it would be a real kick in the nuts for the dems to stop sucking

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.89e30beee019

quote:

The poll finds that the gap between support for Democratic vs. Republican House candidates dropped by more than half since the beginning of the year. At the same time, there has been a slight increase in President Trump’s approval rating, although it remains low. Measures of partisan enthusiasm paint a more mixed picture of the electorate in comparison to signs of Democratic intensity displayed in many recent special elections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

orange juche posted:

It's fun when the veil drops, as long as it's not an everyday thing.

Also, keep your eyes on this story: https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/04/16/us/south-carolina-prison-inmates-killed/index.html?__twitter_impression=true

Seven dead and seventeen injured from a South Carolina prison fight, with zero guard injuries.

• Locked thread