Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

That's a lot of words to say "sega does what nintendon't"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

a bone to pick posted:

That's a lot of words to say "sega does what nintendon't"

Sony should steal this slogan since Sega is dead and doesn't need it anymore.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

mind the walrus posted:

Unpopular opinion: I really don't "get" why Planescape: Torment is so beloved. I mean I get the sense it's pretty deep since it's a dialogue-based CRPG with a unique setting, but I've tried playing it half a dozen times and I'm just not into it at all.

It's one of those things where experiencing the context is the whole thing. Torment was put out after Baldur's Gate, but before Baldur's Gate 2 and Icewind Dale, so real-time paused combat was still a fresh concept for a lot of people and seen as good even if it was really pretty garbage. The ruleset that it would be compared against was AD&D which is fuckin trash and I won't fight anyone on that because if you think AD&D is a good system then you're not worth touching you loving monster.

Anyways the concept behind the story was very novel, at least at the time, and I think it holds up today. The ability for a player to choose between two dialogue options that were identical except for specifying that you're lying or being honest is still a pretty rare style of dialogue choice. But yeah, the narrative is the entire game as far as what holds up today. Unfortunately, you have to actually play the game behind that narrative to get to it, and there is nothing about the combat or UI that holds up.

If you're dead set on never fully playing through it, you should go read up on it in some ridiculously detailed wiki that I am certain exists though I have never seen it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Good soup! posted:

If someone ever did a movie strictly about the final days of RPD or something I would want them to lift this wholsesale, music and everything, so loving good and captures the atmosphere perfectly

The RPD level in Outbreak is an absolute dick move bonanza especially online where the items are randomized, and especially when people don't know what to do.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

No man's sky was v good, even at launch

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This post was super cool and has some super tight music, thanks

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

1redflag posted:

No man's sky was v good, even at launch

it was solid. some planets ran fine but several of them murdered my pc however, and because it felt like the odds were more or less against me on whether or not my pc could handle whatever planet i landed on next, i got bored and quit before even reaching the center of the galaxy once

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!
The voice acting for both versions of Shepard in Mass Effect was about equally good. Everyone acts like the female Shepard was super great and badass and the male one was horrible and wooden, but he was okay and she's generally just cool and tough all the time.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
kiefer > hayter

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

End boss Of SGaG* posted:

The voice acting for both versions of Shepard in Mass Effect was about equally good. Everyone acts like the female Shepard was super great and badass and the male one was horrible and wooden, but he was okay and she's generally just cool and tough all the time.

IIRC it was a last minute decision to have him be the official male Shepard voice and it kinda shows in ME1, but after that he’s fine and since they clearly modeled the animations after him she’s not worth it because her version of the big stupid jellyfish line doesn’t work.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Panzeh posted:

The RPD level in Outbreak is an absolute dick move bonanza especially online where the items are randomized, and especially when people don't know what to do.

Yeah it owned

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

signalnoise posted:

It's one of those things where experiencing the context is the whole thing. Torment was put out after Baldur's Gate, but before Baldur's Gate 2 and Icewind Dale, so real-time paused combat was still a fresh concept for a lot of people and seen as good even if it was really pretty garbage. The ruleset that it would be compared against was AD&D which is fuckin trash and I won't fight anyone on that because if you think AD&D is a good system then you're not worth touching you loving monster.

Anyways the concept behind the story was very novel, at least at the time, and I think it holds up today. The ability for a player to choose between two dialogue options that were identical except for specifying that you're lying or being honest is still a pretty rare style of dialogue choice. But yeah, the narrative is the entire game as far as what holds up today. Unfortunately, you have to actually play the game behind that narrative to get to it, and there is nothing about the combat or UI that holds up.

If you're dead set on never fully playing through it, you should go read up on it in some ridiculously detailed wiki that I am certain exists though I have never seen it.
Thank you for all these posts. You've been informative, thorough, and entertaining.

amusinginquiry posted:

kiefer > hayter
There is a special place in hell for you

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Chiptunes are the musical equivalent of monkeys banging rocks together.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wouldn't listen to them in my free time or buy some 16 year old dork's chiptune album but it's pretty cool in historical context.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
In historical context it's something that happened 200 years after Mozart, and an abject embarrassment to the idea of human progress.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol drat that's harsh

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I suppose it is embarrassing that it took 200 years for something better than Mozart to come along

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

2house2fly posted:

I suppose it is embarrassing that it took 200 years for something better than Mozart to come along

:nods: Indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJcqDdjl5MM

Marlboro for Cats
Apr 14, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
okay, everyone saying the Genesis sound chip is actually good is trolling. It sounds incredibly harsh even in the hands of a great sound designer; for everyone else, it's like listening to a transformer short out after seagulls flew into it.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Marlboro for Cats posted:

okay, everyone saying the Genesis sound chip is actually good is trolling. It sounds incredibly harsh even in the hands of a great sound designer; for everyone else, it's like listening to a transformer short out after seagulls flew into it.

Merzbow is dad rock now JJJJJJJEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSS you're old

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
*storming out of the rites of spring* "it's naught but calamitous racket."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Chiptunes are fun if you don't take poo poo so seriously.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Mozart was the chiptune artist of his day

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Marlboro for Cats posted:

I always thought it sounded like a lovely sound blaster using samples of fart sounds

SNES had the superior audio, sorry

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Genesis was better as an instrument while SNES was better as a sequencer

Unpopular opinion: Audio fidelity and musical quality are not the same thing

Unpopular opinion: Butt slams are still worthwhile

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
So was the controversy around No Mans Sky directly due to developers over-hyping the game and straight up lying to everyone? I always saw it as more intricate where Sony basically took this teeny tiny indie game that generated a small cult following and blew it way the gently caress out of proportion by making it a 'playstation console exclusive' and multiple live demos with a 40 piece orchestra and tons of exclusive live demos and live events and other crap.

Even before 4-6 months before release I remember thinking "These devs have probably such a bewildered look on their face either because they are humbled at all the money Sony gave them to expand their game into something truly awesome or they are shocked at how they pulled off a 2000s dotcom bust style cash infusion pump and dump in the year 2016 cause this never should of happened."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think it was a mix of Sony over selling it, Sean Murray overselling it and it being sold as a full priced AAA game. If they had been less misleading and sold it for $30 as the rough indie game it was, the reception would have probably been mostly positive.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Avalanche posted:

So was the controversy around No Mans Sky directly due to developers over-hyping the game and straight up lying to everyone?

It was specifically Sean Murray. He is the spiritual successor to Peter Molyneux.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Good soup! posted:

Yeah it owned

lol i like when i get to the front area and realized a bunch of the items, especially the ones next to the door were picked up and not replaced or when someone grabs the stack of handgun ammo to shoot the infinitely respawning zombies in the station

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

western video games have poo poo music, always some ambient four minute synth fart with no melody, i wanna jam along to cool tunes while i run around

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Avalanche posted:

So was the controversy around No Mans Sky directly due to developers over-hyping the game and straight up lying to everyone? I always saw it as more intricate where Sony basically took this teeny tiny indie game that generated a small cult following and blew it way the gently caress out of proportion by making it a 'playstation console exclusive' and multiple live demos with a 40 piece orchestra and tons of exclusive live demos and live events and other crap.

Even before 4-6 months before release I remember thinking "These devs have probably such a bewildered look on their face either because they are humbled at all the money Sony gave them to expand their game into something truly awesome or they are shocked at how they pulled off a 2000s dotcom bust style cash infusion pump and dump in the year 2016 cause this never should of happened."

Sony is definitely partly to blame by taking what was (and really, still is) an Early Access game and turning it into a AAA console exclusive (with accompanying $60 price tag). Sean Murray didn't help things by straight up lying about multiplayer.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
also all of the early "demos" they showed were 100% fake. the animals in the demos interacted with each other and had all sorts of interesting behaviors, but that was because it was just prescripted smoke and mirrors

vudan
Dec 11, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

western video games have poo poo music, always some ambient four minute synth fart with no melody, i wanna jam along to cool tunes while i run around

The ps1 era had some great music. I think many devs chose to not be so bold with their music after that and it sucks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rutibex posted:

also all of the early "demos" they showed were 100% fake. the animals in the demos interacted with each other and had all sorts of interesting behaviors, but that was because it was just prescripted smoke and mirrors

If by early demos you mean everything that was shown up until that guy paid $3000 for an early copy and streamed it, then yes.

It was all bullshit. The game they demoed was infinitely cooler looking than the final game.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

I'll use your joke as an excuse to post something by Ben Houge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftvpi-6Z6qw

also "jam along to cool tunes while i run around" is pretty much all you'd have to write as a review for Toejam & Earl

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 16, 2018

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rutibex posted:

I really like to imagine a conversation with an intern "We can't make animal interactions! We spent all that time doing prescripted animal interactions so people think we have animal interactions!"

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

signalnoise posted:

I'll use your joke as an excuse to post something by Ben Houge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftvpi-6Z6qw

also "jam along to cool tunes while i run around" is pretty much all you'd have to write as a review for Toejam & Earl

yeah but i mean you and the other guy posted some real old games, i wanna buy a new western video game and not be subjected to like 15 hours of strings vamping or ambient poop tunes

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Caesar Saladin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dH2IwmSvdU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b5X69vREAg

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

yeah but i mean you and the other guy posted some real old games, i wanna buy a new western video game and not be subjected to like 15 hours of strings vamping or ambient poop tunes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNkQMtZAMAw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

You might like Jake Kaufman's stuff