Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The internet in general decided Solo has to be bad before any trailers or anything released, because they fired the new nerd media kings Lord and Miller from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Samuringa posted:

If we're going over which were the worst Movie Theater experiences, I watched Chappie and AoU on the same day. It was not a happy day.

On my 18th birthday my friends took me to the cinema and we watched one of the underworld movies and then immediately watched the first twilight movie.

And wolverine origins was offensively worse than both of those movies combined,i've never actually walked out of the cinema in a bad mood before or after that movie.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Sentinel Red posted:

Hah, just caught the end of Dark of the Moon on the telly, it never fails to crack me up

*Guy saves your rear end, proposes a truce - MURDER THE gently caress OUTTA HIM YEAAAAAAAAAAH*

*Defeated opponent broken and half dead, crawling on the ground saying how everything he did was for the good of their homeworld - MURDER THE gently caress OUTTA HIM TOO YEAAAAAAAAAH*

I mean, it's magnificent, it truly is. "You are the one who told me that freedom is everyone's right" says the nice robot man before ripping out someone's spine and shooting someone else in the face. No wonder Shia LaBeouff had a loving psychotic break and ran from mainstream cinema like the goddamn plague afterwards.

My friends convinced me to see Dark of the Moon right after I got off a 12 hour retail shift. I had never seen the other films, and, because they planned everything so late, we had to sit in the very front row of a packed house. It’s the only time I’ve ever gotten intentionally drunk so that I could handle the awful garbage I was watching.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I like Doom. I'm sure 99% of that is The Rock, but I don't care.

Sentinel Red posted:

Hah, just caught the end of Dark of the Moon on the telly, it never fails to crack me up

*Guy saves your rear end, proposes a truce - MURDER THE gently caress OUTTA HIM YEAAAAAAAAAAH*

*Defeated opponent broken and half dead, crawling on the ground saying how everything he did was for the good of their homeworld - MURDER THE gently caress OUTTA HIM TOO YEAAAAAAAAAH*

I mean, it's magnificent, it truly is. "You are the one who told me that freedom is everyone's right" says the nice robot man before ripping out someone's spine and shooting someone else in the face. No wonder Shia LaBeouff had a loving psychotic break and ran from mainstream cinema like the goddamn plague afterwards.

I like the part where Optimus admits that he needed some people to die so that they would appreciate the Transformers better. Like if Spider-Man's response to JJJ was "Fine, I'll just LET Green Goblin blow this building up. Maybe next time you guys will be nice."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Rock is almost always a joy to watch on screen.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Aphrodite posted:

The internet in general decided Solo has to be bad before any trailers or anything released, because they fired the new nerd media kings Lord and Miller from it.
Ron Howard is a pretty eh director most of the time.

Based on the trailers I am not super enthused. The guy who is playing Han looks off to me and there were reports he had to have an acting coach on set which does not fill me with confidence.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Samuringa posted:

If we're going over which were the worst Movie Theater experiences, I watched Chappie and AoU on the same day. It was not a happy day.

Chappie : A movie about terrible haircuts.

When I talk about how much I hated that movie, Die Antwood fans come out of the woodwork to yell at me. I have no opinion of the band, just the movie they were in and heavily involved making was terrible.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Man, Alan Silvestri is back for Infinity War's score? Ugh, Henry Jackman was putting in work with Winter Soldier and Civil War. A lotta people rag on MCU movies for their scores, but I dig them. Silvestri did First Avenger and The Avengers and both are among the weaker scores (only better than the first two Thors). Jackman's Civil War score was killer. Such a bummer. I hope Silvestri learns to remember motifs from other movies he didn't score this time (like Elfman did in AoU). It would be a shame to not have the Guardians' motif not show up when they do.

Also the worst movie I ever paid money to see in theaters was Zoolander 2. I saw the Super Mario Bros. movie, the latter two 90s Batman films, Spider-Man 3, and lots of other garbage in theaters, but never have I felt like I was ripped off like with Zoolander 2. My buddy from high school and I had seen the first one in theaters when we were sophomores and decided it would be a good idea to follow it up with the sequel 15 years later. It was... extremely disappointing.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Little Mac posted:

Jackman's Civil War score was killer.

I recently effortposted at my Facebook friends about that movie and its score. That score was incredible.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SlimGoodbody posted:

I recently effortposted at my Facebook friends about that movie and its score. That score was incredible.

Can you repost here? I've never been convinced by Jackman's MCU stuff.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They should just have Mark Mothersbaugh do all the soundtracks.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Little Mac posted:

Man, Alan Silvestri is back for Infinity War's score? Ugh, Henry Jackman was putting in work with Winter Soldier and Civil War. A lotta people rag on MCU movies for their scores, but I dig them. Silvestri did First Avenger and The Avengers and both are among the weaker scores (only better than the first two Thors). Jackman's Civil War score was killer. Such a bummer. I hope Silvestri learns to remember motifs from other movies he didn't score this time (like Elfman did in AoU). It would be a shame to not have the Guardians' motif not show up when they do.

Agreed on the Winter Soldier score, it's probably one of my favorites of the MCU movies. I wish they'd brought Ramin Djawadi back to do more than Iron Man 1 though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I saw 3 things on FB post that Clark Gregg posted himself on the Captain Marvel set and its just an instagram picture of him standing next to a office door that says N Fury. I wanna see him with mid 90s hair dammit.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I don't remember any scores from any marvel movies because they are so furiously generic and forgettable

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I see stuff like that being posted a lot but do we really get that many distinguishable scores that make a lasting impact on a reasonable frequency? Like, I can remember the iconic themes, like Superman's, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, and such but I can't think off the top of my head of a recent original movie score that stood up like those. Just feels like a weird nitpick.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ron Howard is a pretty eh director most of the time.

Based on the trailers I am not super enthused. The guy who is playing Han looks off to me and there were reports he had to have an acting coach on set which does not fill me with confidence.

Supposedly he asked for an acting couch when Lord and Miller were doing the film. The reason he asked was because he had no clue what they were doing and he felt like he was just being asked to just copy Ace Ventura*: Pet Detective**.

After the people in charge heard this and looked at the dailies there was arguments and Lord and Miller were replaced.

I think that Alden Heinrich will do a fine job.

*= "It's a good movie, the last third gets a bit transphobic, but otherwise it holds up well."

** = As one of the ways here put so brilliantly, Space Ventura: Fett Detective.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Samuringa posted:

I see stuff like that being posted a lot but do we really get that many distinguishable scores that make a lasting impact on a reasonable frequency? Like, I can remember the iconic themes, like Superman's, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, and such but I can't think off the top of my head of a recent original movie score that stood up like those. Just feels like a weird nitpick.

Wonder Woman's was dope and memorable but it wasn't used very effectively in the WW movie imo. When Homecoming opened with the 70s cartoon theme I thought they might use it throughout but it felt kinda squandered

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Fartbox posted:

I don't remember any scores from any marvel movies because they are so furiously generic and forgettable

I thought Doctor Strange's theme was pretty memorable, though I've heard some people complain that it sounds too much like the theme to the newer Star Trek (both were scored by Michael Giacchino)

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Samuringa posted:

Actually, one of the many reasons we remember those scores, side from being well written and being catchy, is because repetition. We watch those movies several times, we listen to it on tv ads, movie ads, on the radio, on parody comedy shows, etc, etc.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

There's been some weird opinions expressed in the past couple of pages, but by far the worst is whoever said that Attack of the Clones had good lightsaber fights. They were all terrible, especially when Yoda got involved.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

irlZaphod posted:

There's been some weird opinions expressed in the past couple of pages, but by far the worst is whoever said that Attack of the Clones had good lightsaber fights. They were all terrible, especially when Yoda got involved.

This is a pretty dumb opinion, because all lightsaber fights are good fights, by virtue of being lightsaber fights.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
MCU music peaked with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i574Em3IrI

Samuringa posted:

Zimmer's style has been incredibly influential but I'm not sure what specific film I'd pick for that. Fury Road's was really loving memorable too, which is why it's so disappointing that Junkie XL didn't come up with anything good for Batman in BvS.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Carrie Coon is voicing Proxima Midnight in Infinity War

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

She was Ben Affleck's sister in Gone Girl.

She was good in that flick. I approve.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
carrie coon is good

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah she's a standout in Fargo and Leftovers.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I saw 3 things on FB post that Clark Gregg posted himself on the Captain Marvel set and its just an instagram picture of him standing next to a office door that says N Fury. I wanna see him with mid 90s hair dammit.

Nah, he should look exactly the same. He's one of those people that appear to have stopped aging sometime in their 40s. Just like Samuel L. Jackson and Denzel Washington and Patrick Stewart.

So we'll probably find out which of the Black Order Dinklage voices soon.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Desperado Bones posted:

Actually, one of the many reasons we remember those scores, side from being well written and being catchy, is because repetition. We watch those movies several times, we listen to it on tv ads, movie ads, on the radio, on parody comedy shows, etc, etc.

Yeah. There's a reason the most well known theme from the MCU is the Avengers theme - it's the one that's played the most often (despite not being anywhere close to the best song from the MCU)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

Nah, he should look exactly the same. He's one of those people that appear to have stopped aging sometime in their 40s. Just like Samuel L. Jackson and Denzel Washington and Patrick Stewart.

So we'll probably find out which of the Black Order Dinklage voices soon.

I'm really hoping for a bad hairpiece or spray on hair.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They should have Hasslehoff play 90’s Fury and pay no attention or reference to it.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think Solo will be good for everything that's been said about it. like Han is the worst part about it but it all just looks so pretty. the character Daenerys plays seems interesting, and Donald Glover as Lando was a match made in heaven

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sentinel Red posted:

*Defeated opponent broken and half dead, crawling on the ground saying how everything he did was for the good of their homeworld - MURDER THE gently caress OUTTA HIM TOO YEAAAAAAAAAH*[/i]

That guy wanted to enslave the entire humanity though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Carlosologist posted:

I think Solo will be good for everything that's been said about it. like Han is the worst part about it but it all just looks so pretty. the character Daenerys plays seems interesting, and Donald Glover as Lando was a match made in heaven

The last couple trailers and tv spots have won me over. There’s no way it’ll be a great film, but at the very least it’ll be dumb fun and we’ll have a new source of Donald Glover gifs for a few years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DongLover is probably in all of 15 minutes of the film.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

It’ll be a really gifable 15 minuets then :shrug:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The worst movie is actually a bunch of movies. Anything starring offhandedly rich white people around Christmastime. Deck the Halls, Christmas with the Kranks, Mr. Popper's Penguins, anything where they want you to feel sorry for some dad while he's saying something like "We usually spend $6,000 on Christmas each year but this year we were gonna do something special!"

They're in the sweet spot where they're competently filmed and available everywhere (so not the worst movie due to being insane and zero budget like a Manos), but so universally retch-inducing that no one is going to say "Oh but I ironically like Tim Allen Christmas films!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

theironjef posted:

The worst movie is actually a bunch of movies. Anything starring offhandedly rich white people around Christmastime. Deck the Halls, Christmas with the Kranks, Mr. Popper's Penguins, anything where they want you to feel sorry for some dad while he's saying something like "We usually spend $6,000 on Christmas each year but this year we were gonna do something special!"

They're in the sweet spot where they're competently filmed and available everywhere (so not the worst movie due to being insane and zero budget like a Manos), but so universally retch-inducing that no one is going to say "Oh but I ironically like Tim Allen Christmas films!"

Jingle All The Way is a timeless classic.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Rhyno posted:

Jingle All The Way is a timeless classic.

Look what adding even one black person can accomplish.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Jingle All the Way also has Phil Hartman playing Mirror Universe Ned Flanders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Rhyno posted:

As long as it generates a Lando spinoff, that's good enough for me.

• Locked thread