Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Hydras are so drat cool. I don't think I've ever read about them used on anything but infantry in the books which is even cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

moths posted:

I'd either print off a custom decal or use a micropen.

Where would I get a micropen? I’m not familiar with those.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Any arts and crafts or drafting store. They just have a super fine tip. Micron is the brand.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

berzerkmonkey posted:

Any arts and crafts or drafting store. They just have a super fine tip. Micron is the brand.

Ohh okay, thanks! I just did a cursory Amazon search and found this:

Sakura Pigma 30062 Micron Blister Card Ink Pen Set, Black, rear end't Point Sizes 6CT Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0008G8G8Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_GSm0AbJ028CW6

It sounds like that will do the trick.

Thanks again!

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
I dig the Micron pens, but a word of warning: they tend to smear if they're touched even lightly when not completely dry. You might want to put down a layer of gloss varnish on the surface before writing on it, so that any mistakes can be easily cleaned up (a wet q-tip works for that).

Materials update: I can confirm that Tim Holtz Rock Candy Distress Crackle Medium is cool and good, but incredibly delicate if it's not anchored to a surface. I used some to make "glass shards" by dipping the end of a large brush into it; the effect was really neat for the roughly 30 minutes before a stiff breeze or some stray photons or something collided with it. It does look like it would make excellent cracked-ice bases, however, especially with a blue glaze added.

e: This is how it turned out:

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 13, 2018

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm honestly not sure if I want to blame GW or the community on this one - GW has been very receptive to feedback, and I have a feeling that some of the guys who came over from WFB missed pushing gigantic units around.

Uhhhhh

If anything it's paired down from originally, where units had an infinite potential size? Horde style units just get bonuses for being above half/max size a lot of the time.

e: ignore me this is a painting thread and i'm an idiot

Soggy Chips
Sep 26, 2006

Fear is the mind killer

bonds0097 posted:

Finished my first Infinity miniature!

Despite the smaller scale than GW, the details are super crisp and this was a ton of fun to paint. My biggest issue was that the arms didn't quite work and so gluing them on after painting was a nightmare and resulted in some damage to painted areas, so I'm painting these guys fully assembled from here on out. The whole red veil box will look really cool once fully painted because these guys have so much individual character.

That looks sick. As someone thinking of getting the Red Veil Haqqislam force what colours did you use for this dude for the tans+greens? What did you base with?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Xenomrph posted:

I was about to ask the same thing.

My Knight is THIS CLOSE to being done, and then I’ll be writing up a big after-report effortpost about it with a ton of photos and poo poo.

Painting question: if I want to put an original, custom name on the chestplate-ribbon of the Knight, what’s the best way I should approach that?

Water down rhinox hide loads then use a tiny brush and write it, figure out the kerning and start from the middle working out.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Dr. Gargunza posted:

It does look like it would make excellent cracked-ice bases, however, especially with a blue glaze added.

Funny you should mention that!

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Soggy Chips posted:

That looks sick. As someone thinking of getting the Red Veil Haqqislam force what colours did you use for this dude for the tans+greens? What did you base with?

I wasn't a huge fan of the bright green leathers in the official scheme so this is what I did:

Prime the model black. For the next I will likely zenithal and see if that makes a difference.

I sprayed the whole model with Vallejo Air US Olive Drab (71.043) then I drybrushed with Vallejo Model Color Khaki. The green panels are Vallejo Luftwaffe Green highlighted with Uniform Green. The Armor is all Dark Sand highlighted with Ivory. The leather is the canonical VMC Dark Rust stippled with Flat Earth and Dark Sand, washed with smoke and black and then edge highlights with English Uniform.

The base is Vallejo's sand texture stuff with some rocks. I sprayed cavalry brown, drybrushed ochre and dark sand, painted the rocks beige, washed with smoke and black and then washed with a couple pigments and after I glued the model to the base I tied it together with the red pigments.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Still trying to get the Gorechosen dudes done. A few are at final detail stage, so hopefully I'll be able to get finally get a game in.

I was working on the flaming anvil today and had a perfect flame transition down - until I realized that I had painted it backwards and had to repaint the flame. Sigh.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I actually have some of this stuff and tried it out. I was really impressed with how it worked. (this is from 2 years ago).

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
40/40 Metal, 13/40 Leather. Ever onward!

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Some progress!

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Thanks for the kind words folks. The screen turned out rougher than I was aiming for but I didn't want to put very much effort into a gag. I'm glad it's at least vaguely recognisable as a venerable and storied air defence system Space Invaders.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
I have the flu, and the only prescription is an expiatory painting of a Nurgle force. First attempt: everyone’s favorite sentient pimples.

Absurdly fun to work with. Tried three different schemes - greyish, pinkish, and greenish. C&C? How can I make them pop* more?

*Don’t pop Nurglings, it’s probably very unhealthy.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Vary it up a bit within each mass, so that not every nurgling in the each pile follows the same color scheme. Generally you’d probably want one to three individual nurglings that look different, I think?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I haven't had any hobby time recently, but I managed to get The Farstriders and Magore's Fiends for Shadespire assembled today. I guess that's something.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Xenomrph posted:

check your pants

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

No painting progress, but took the time to quickly throw together a paint rack for all the stuff that’s been building up over the years. On a major plus note for Vallejo, some of these bottles are 10+ years old and still good.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Someone ended up gifting me some more Sector Mechanicus terrain. Now it looks like a proper factory.

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?
Due to family vacation I had to rush to finish my squad in time for the local GW store’s anniversary competition, but still got enough done to snag second :toot:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Blood Warrior Progress Update
Primed Black: 40/40
Sprayed Bronze: 40/40
Washed Bronze: 40/40
Painted Red Plates: 40/40
Washed Red Plates: 40/40
Painted Skin: 40/40
Washed Skin: 40/40
Based Steel: 40/40
Washed Steel: 0/40
Paint Leather: 40/40
Wash Leather: 0/40
Paint Boots: 40/40
Wash Boots: 0/40
Basing: 0/40

Total: 308-> 400/560

Tomorrow is a day for washing leather and boots! Then on to painting weapons.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

My Knight is almost done (needs some minor drybrushing, transfers, and sealant) and I’m considering doing a huge :effort:post comparing it to my Freeblade game Knight and picking out minutiae and a ton of comparison photos and poo poo, but if no one cares about that kind of stuff then I won’t bother writing it up and I’ll just post model photos.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Xenomrph posted:

My Knight is almost done (needs some minor drybrushing, transfers, and sealant) and I’m considering doing a huge :effort:post comparing it to my Freeblade game Knight and picking out minutiae and a ton of comparison photos and poo poo, but if no one cares about that kind of stuff then I won’t bother writing it up and I’ll just post model photos.

Please share the thing you are proud of.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Hedningen posted:

No painting progress, but took the time to quickly throw together a paint rack for all the stuff that’s been building up over the years. On a major plus note for Vallejo, some of these bottles are 10+ years old and still good.

Greetings, cardboard paint rack buddy :hfive:

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

I've been meaning to post this guy up for a while. My first completed model for my first army. He took forever, mostly because of analysis paralysis. Every step I would look at him and the hellblasters I was painting alongside him and hate how he looked. Then someone on here mentioned they do their army model by model, so I decided I would finish him no matter what. Once he was done, I felt like the paint scheme came together, and I liked him (after a couple of missteps, like painting all of the leadbelcher parts on the marine a bright white at first). Now my hellblasters are almost done, and I'll be ready to move onto the rest of the army. I'm going to base and drill barrels all at once, and I may come back to him for some more edge highlighting, but I'm calling him done for now.

grumbster
Apr 19, 2004
Lord of the Fjord
Surprised the wife with a miniature version of our cat to follow her D&D character around. What I didn't think of was that if the mini-cat ever gets killed she'll have a mental breakdown.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

taste the motherfucking rainbow!

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Frobbe posted:

taste the motherfucking rainbow!

Haha, that's great!

Nearly got these guys done over the weekend.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

grumbster posted:

Surprised the wife with a miniature version of our cat to follow her D&D character around. What I didn't think of was that if the mini-cat ever gets killed she'll have a mental breakdown.

If it's 5e, Find Familiar spell allows them to resummon the cat after it dies (since it's just a spirit anyway). Problem solved!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

So close! Today will be the day!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Beast Pussy posted:

I've been meaning to post this guy up for a while. My first completed model for my first army. He took forever, mostly because of analysis paralysis. Every step I would look at him and the hellblasters I was painting alongside him and hate how he looked. Then someone on here mentioned they do their army model by model, so I decided I would finish him no matter what. Once he was done, I felt like the paint scheme came together, and I liked him (after a couple of missteps, like painting all of the leadbelcher parts on the marine a bright white at first). Now my hellblasters are almost done, and I'll be ready to move onto the rest of the army. I'm going to base and drill barrels all at once, and I may come back to him for some more edge highlighting, but I'm calling him done for now.

Dude this scheme is awesome

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

How did you do the textured metal look?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Alone at home this afternoon, no distractions! Spent almost two hours painting. I just need to do the gun stocks on my latest squad of Desert Rats and they'll be ready for the wash.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Not sure what I was going for with the base really but I stuck the guy to it and painted the rim. Will probably drybrush some of the pale sand, clean up the rim and take finished photos tomorrow.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

dexefiend posted:

How did you do the textured metal look?

Leadbelcher and nuln oil over a layer of tons of mistake layers of off white over that metallic green. I wish I meant that.

S.J. posted:

Dude this scheme is awesome

Thanks so much. I'm unreasonably happy with how it turned out.

Beast Pussy fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 15, 2018

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
On to batch #2.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

4th mini this month for me. It feels pretty good. Going to try to keep it going.

Still need to pick out a small detail on the gun, but calling it done for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Nearly done with a set of my AnCap Airship Boys. Pretty much followed Duncans vid guide but was more generous with the wash and more selective with highlights and loving how grimy they look.

Just eyes, the Admirals rock and basing to go.