Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ritznit posted:

It's super strange and unfun to see a show that used to offend particularly conservative mindsets the most make a full 180 and get praised by the internet edition of said particularly conservative mindsets.

The alt-right isn't 'conservative' in any meaningful sense, it's very much a product of its time. They probably think the Simpsons offended whiny babies back in the day, and it offends whiny babies now.

It's all moot since the Simpsons is poo poo now, I would be embarrassed to have them defend my viewpoints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
We are currently approaching the lowest point of the Simpsons.

https://twitter.com/AlJean/status/984670962162348032?s=19

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Phlegmish posted:

The alt-right isn't 'conservative' in any meaningful sense, it's very much a product of its time..

lol it's not conservative it just thinks that only straight white men matter (and are the only persecuted people in the world) and that women, gays and ethnic minorities should shut the gently caress up and be grateful for what they have

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Razorwired posted:

We are currently approaching the lowest point of the Simpsons.

https://twitter.com/AlJean/status/984670962162348032?s=19

I really really hope this ends up killing the simpsons, but it probably won't I guess

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
*Fox points their proverbial revolver at the Simpsons* Don't make me do this. You've made me so much money, you're Americana, and you've been in our lives for nearly 30 years. We can fix you. *Sobs* We can fix this.

*Simpsons, no longer aware of what year it is, or who they are, or where they are* Thank you, come again.

*Fox cocks the revolver, sobbing* We had fun, didn't we?

*Simpsons, flopping on the ground, covered in piss and poo poo* MAYBE IN SHANGRI -LA

*GUNSHOT*

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
New episode was about Moe's family letting him back into the family's mattress business after decades of estrangement. Most of their disagreements devolve into hitting each other with shoes, a joke that was fine maybe twice but the episode used like 8 times.

There's an alright joke where Homer can't start his car because he blows a .09 into his interlock device, so he grabs a nearby dog, and then the dog blows a .12.

It wasn't very funny, but at least Moe sounded and acted like Moe. I can't remember the last time he was in an episode where he wasn't a one-line joke about depression. Maybe the bar rag one?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cape Fear episode was hosed up. I watched it again last night, all the characters were wearing creepy masks, Mr Burns murders the entire Simpsons family in front of Bart, Itchy and a scratchy exist in the Simpsons world instead of as part of a cartoon within the world, and are Mr Burns henchmen. Bart and Lisa sing the flintstones theme, and Bart finally kills Mr Burns in a swordfight.

It's kind of implied as well that all of Springfield died in a nuclear plant accident?

It was a really confusing episode

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

muscles like this! posted:

The one where Bart sneaks out to a rap concert is especially stupid because they try to act like he's always been a fan of hip hop but it had literally never come up before or since.

Bart being a Spinal Tap fan made a whole lot more sense.

The early 90's were weird as hell

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Iron Crowned posted:

The early 90's were weird as hell

Klasky never produced anything so good before or since though.

That choreography is legit too

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Itchy and a scratchy exist in the Simpsons world instead of as part of a cartoon within the world

I remember reading about a recent, non-Halloween episode where Kang and Kodos were actually in the Simpsons universe and it was played as a canon episode.

Imagine if the Simpsons had actually been cancelled 15 or so years ago. We’d probably have threads were we talk nostalgically about the show, and wish they’d come back because it’d be soooooo funny to see their take on Trump or hipsters. And then we’d beg Netflix for a revival, just 10 episodes, please!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kang and Kodos canonically show up in the Simpsons plenty. Usually just a cameo.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

Anyone have a clip of brockman saying "if the box rattles, throw it away!"? I need to post it in a different thread

Frinkiac puts every clip from the Simpsons at you are fingertips, fyi https://frinkiac.com/gif/S06E20/157439/162027/IEFsd2F5cyB1c2UgZnJlc2gKIG1hY2Fyb25pLiBJZiB0aGUgYm94CiByYXR0bGVzLCB0aHJvdyBpdCBhd2F5Lg==

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Kang and Kodos canonically show up in the Simpsons plenty. Usually just a cameo.

The Simpsons go to Diz-Nee-Land. After a really long journey, they dislike all of the lame rides they visit, and decide to go to "Rocket to Your Doom", a just-opened queue-less ride which wasn't on the map. They get in and it immediately transforms into a space ship. At first, the family is skeptical, but a screen appears with Kang and Kodos on it telling them that they are being taken to their home planet Rigel 7. At the planet, Kang and Kodos show them around in a giant pet cage and the Simpsons are informed they are prisoners. Then they are taken as exhibitions to a zoo. After a while, they are informed they must choose one of them to be dined in a ritual. Everybody votes for Homer (even he changes his vote from Bart to himself after seeing the other votes).

Afterwards, we can see Homer walking in something that looks like bacon underwear, to be eaten, but he gets rescued by some hippie-looking Rigelians who believe that eating other sentient species is wrong. After an excessive party, he gets on another space ship only for one that also pleases all desires, but he realizes he won't enjoy it without his family and goes back to rescue them. The Rigelians have decided to eat the rest of the family and they are glazed over giant plates with some lettuce and tomato. When Homer offers to be eaten instead, he gets put on a similar plate and annoys the Rigelian chef by eating the glaze and claiming he didn't get any. The Rigelian Queen then eats Homer's previously off-camera severed buttock and gets poisoned because of the fast food life they all lead; even Lisa is the most polluted of them all and would be better chewing tobacco like Bart. The Rigelian Queen dies from the poison.

Following the Rigelian Queen's death, the Simpsons get sent home on a space ship that looks like the interior of the original starship USS Enterprise. They set course to Earth. But after a call from Grampa Simpson, the family decides to go anywhere else but home.

The credits happen over a montage of several images spoofing Star Trek TV and film franchise scenes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah that's a pretty good episode, also pretty obviously not in normal continuity

Does no one else remember the episode I'm talking about where Burns stalks the family on a boat and kills them one by one? At one point he had Love and Hate tattooed on his fingers and he calls on the audience to cheer for Love.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 16, 2018

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Yeah that's a pretty good episode, also pretty obviously not in normal continuity

Does no one else remember the episode I'm talking about where Burns stalks the family on a boat and kills them one by one? At one point he had Love and Hate tattooed on his fingers and he calls on the audience to cheer for Love.

I think you dreamed this.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Sideshow Bob had those tattoos.

He's also chased Bart around on a boat.. I think you must have dreamed all that though.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Cape Fear episode was hosed up. I watched it again last night, all the characters were wearing creepy masks, Mr Burns murders the entire Simpsons family in front of Bart, Itchy and a scratchy exist in the Simpsons world instead of as part of a cartoon within the world, and are Mr Burns henchmen. Bart and Lisa sing the flintstones theme, and Bart finally kills Mr Burns in a swordfight.

It's kind of implied as well that all of Springfield died in a nuclear plant accident?

There was a Cape Fear episode with Sideshow Bob where he had Love/Hate tattooed on his fingers. I think you might be insane.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No it was definitely Mr Burns. And the top half of their heads were these weird paper mache masks.

I'll give up the had since no one else has seen this apparently

https://vimeo.com/131536873

I saw this play yesterday, Mr Burns Post Electric Play

It's about a group of people in the post apocalypse telling stories about the Simpsons to pass the time while trying not to die.

In act 2, 7 years later, they are producing plays to make a living in this post electricity world since there is no longer any TV.

Act 3 is 75 years later with a cult like post apocalyptic group putting on a creepy rear end Opera, all people who have only heard The Simpsons and other things in oral tradition because television and the internet were long dead before they were even born. Most of the details are distorted or flat out wrong.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 16, 2018

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Now you're thinking either of that Shia LeBoeuf stage play or the Futurama episode with the multiple universes and the boxes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

No it was definitely Mr Burns. And the top half of their heads were these weird paper mache masks.

I'll give up the had since no one else has seen this apparently

No, "Cape Feare" was a regular Sideshow Bob episode where the Simpsons move onto a house boat and Bob tries to kill Bart. I don't think Burns was even in it. The giant heads were from "Behind the Laughter". You are combining several episodes together. The episode you are thinking of does not exist.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I posted the link an hour ago man, in talking about a postmodern post apocalyptic play based on The Simpsons

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i watched the king leer episode and had my hand on my face in sheer awe at how loving bad the new simpsons are. like it was baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. there weren't any jokes except haha homer can't start his car cuz hes drunk, let the drunk dog blow in the breathalizer. i did laugh at that because it was out of nowhere. homer on his Mapple or Crapple or whatever iPhone was really annoying

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

What are you talking about? That's a SSB episode isn't it?

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.

Milo and POTUS posted:

What are you talking about? That's a SSB episode isn't it?

There’s something wrong with this person. Theyre trying to be clever by referencing the story telling of the play they saw, in which Simpsons stories are passed down after the apocalypse for years and distorted, but going about it in a weird way.

He should just say “hey watch this play it’s neat”

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I remember hearing about that play and I really want to see it

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

When I first saw the Cape Fear episode I didn't know about the films it references/parodies and it still worked great as its own story. That's how you do a reference properly - make it invisible to those who don't get it.

Few seasons later they did The Prisoner and I was like wft is this nonsense what is happening

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bitterandtwisted posted:

Few seasons later they did The Prisoner and I was like wft is this nonsense what is happening

In fairness I think that's exactly what most people thought when they watched The Prisoner

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

In fairness I think that's exactly what most people thought when they watched The Prisoner

Good point.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mustached5thGrader posted:

There’s something wrong with this person. Theyre trying to be clever by referencing the story telling of the play they saw, in which Simpsons stories are passed down after the apocalypse for years and distorted, but going about it in a weird way.

He should just say “hey watch this play it’s neat”

did it ever occur to you that i was stupid as poo poo

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

bitterandtwisted posted:

When I first saw the Cape Fear episode I didn't know about the films it references/parodies and it still worked great as its own story. That's how you do a reference properly - make it invisible to those who don't get it.

A local theater was playing Citizen Kane a few months ago and I took my Simpsons loving friend to it. It was fun to see him discover all the little things and scenes Simpsons referenced that he didn't even realize were references.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

There was no cane in Citizen Kane!

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
At least we still have his younger brother George Burns.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The new one was a "Simpsons go to" episode but this time it was New Orleans.

I think this one was like an apology for that time they pissed New Orleans off with that loving great song in the Streetcar Named Desire episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVmBtNaDXQg

Mostly it was about how awesome New Orleans is.

There was seriously like 2 minutes of just Homer listing New Orleans food. Also they played one of the old Tracey Ullman shorts for the couch gag and boy did it suck.

Also a statue of Louis Armstrong comes to life and gives Lisa advice and Homer can see it and talk to it too. He says there's weed in heaven.

Bleeding Gums Murphy's nephew made an appearance.

Episode sucked

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They already apologized for that like the very next episode by having Bart write "I WILL NOT DEFAME NEW ORLEANS" on the chalkboard

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Quote-Unquote posted:

lol it's not conservative it just thinks that only straight white men matter (and are the only persecuted people in the world) and that women, gays and ethnic minorities should shut the gently caress up and be grateful for what they have

they can't be conservative, they're so young and irreverent

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
as disgusted as a lot of us were with the whole 'head nod' thing I think it's worth circling back to mention that Hank Azaria was really thoughtful and understanding on the topic when he was on Colbert, you can see a recap here. Whole thing is worth a listen actually.

hank azaria: pretty cool dude

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In the new one, Ned becomes Bart's teacher, seemingly permanently. I guess it solves the problem of not having one since Edna's voice actress died.

Also Bart helps him control the class through a series of pranks to convince them a vengeful god will hurt them if they don't behave.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PostNouveau posted:

In the new one, Ned becomes Bart's teacher, seemingly permanently. I guess it solves the problem of not having one since Edna's voice actress died.

Also Bart helps him control the class through a series of pranks to convince them a vengeful god will hurt them if they don't behave.

This sounds like it could've been a fine episode if it was written twenty-five years ago.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Twenty-five years ago they had an episode where Ned became the principal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Detective No. 27 posted:

Twenty-five years ago they had an episode where Ned became the principal.

And the moral was "prayer in public schools is probably ok" lol