Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Deleter posted:

So I downloaded this, opened it up, looked at the screen and then closed the game again. I have absolutely no idea what my first moves even are, let alone what my end goals should be. How do I even interact with anything? And I'm coming off of Stellaris so I understand the open-ended nature of these kinds of games, but the tutorial pop ups don't even walk you through basic interactions. What do I do? What are the good beginner's guides for this kind of thing?

there are two things you need to remember that set ck2 apart from other paradox games

you play as a person, and as a dynasty, not as the disembodied national spirit of government

feudalism is all about personal relationships between liege and vassal

aside from that the map painting is similar, it's just that you'll often have to give up portions of the map to others. think about the stellaris sector mechanic except, you're forced to have them from day one, and also sometimes your sector governor might rebel, or invite you to a drinking contest, or try to gently caress your wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tomn posted:

If you're talking about Victoria 2, and if you have one of the expansions (I forget which) you should be able to slash the naval stockpile budget to nothing. You'll still have your boats, but they won't be able to fight for poo poo. Better than scrapping them, however.

Navies are expensive and as Russia they're a luxury anyways.

Honestly as Russia you probably should just scrap most of your navy - you really don't need it.

In Victoria 2 you tend to start in the red as any country just because admin and tax efficiency is so lovely. Crank taxes up to 100% for everyone - they won't mind, they're only paying like a third of that anyway. Raising tariffs can help too although I'm not sure how much Russia will make from that because they can probably produce most of the goods they need domestically.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ooops, wrong thread! Uh...anways, yeah Victoria 3 is coming this side of forever, right?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeah vicky 2, will mercilessly tax the lower class, got it

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

yeah vicky 2, will mercilessly tax the lower class, got it

You're not really mercilessly taxing them, at the start of the game your tax collectors are so bad at their jobs you're only taxing at like 23% of whatever your stated taxation is, so even 100% taxation isn't too bad

also slash the army supply budget when you're not dealing with war, tho keep your military spending at a decent level so your soldiers don't decide to switch careers

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I like to think of 100% taxation at 25% efficiency as tax collectors just robbing every fourth house of everything in it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

you've got to research a few techs before the tax collectors learn to check under the mattress

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

I like to think of 100% taxation at 25% efficiency as tax collectors just robbing every fourth house of everything in it.

Oh so post revolutionary Soviet Russia?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

To be fair, their tax collectors were very efficient in 1930's Ukraine.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

algebra testes posted:

Oh so post revolutionary Soviet Russia?

No, pre revolutionary Soviet Russia

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Post-revolutionary Soviet Russia was robbing every fifth house but occasionally robbing the third and fourth house if Beria saw a girl he liked in it.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Gort posted:

pretty much. that's what the pre modern french state did anyways. they sold tax collection (public administration) to 'tax farmers' (private individuals) who skimmed a poo poo ton off the top. the french revolution basically occurred because the state simultaneously overtaxed the population and indebted itself to an incredible degree from a combination of selling off state functions and taking on enormous war loans.

Zane fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 11, 2018

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Funky Valentine posted:

Post-revolutionary Soviet Russia was robbing every fifth house but occasionally robbing the third and fourth house if Beria saw a girl he liked in it.

On the other hand the house itself was free. Very complicated system.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

What are the recommended DLC for Stellaris and what do they include? I bought it when it first came out and was pretty bored by it, but I've been watching some videos of the new patch and DLC, and think I could have fun with it now.

e: nevermind I checked the OP and dropped the dosh for the recommended poo poo

BgRdMchne fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 12, 2018

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I was a decent EU3 and Vic II player and a pretty drat good CK2 player, but I've loaded up EU4 a couple of times and just found the interface overwhelming.

Can someone recommend a good let's play that explains the mechanics?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Its funny because eu3 and def vicky 2 were far more complex than eu4 at launch, eu4 was amazingly simplified.

But I guess eu4 has bloated so much its no longer as streamlined by comparison.

ganonso
Aug 1, 2011
I'm sure the question has to have come up a zillion times but I'm a bit overwhelmed when I play CK2. So many start and so many countries. I decided to play a game as France at the William the Bastar's timestamp and the tooltip basically told me it would be "easy" or at least not so horrendeously difficult than the other options.

Results in scant years my king who is 14 cannot do anything, including plotting the murder of his uncle the Duke of Normandy who amass a huge faction, declare a war impossible to win (7k stack), and even if I manage to create the Duchy of Orleans to have something to do after being ousted from the throne, he simply revokes my title as I'm even weaker.

So what would be a "beginner" level? Ireland is often quoted but my test run as Mumu had a bit of the same problems (declare war on the southernmost part of the isle who is a de jure part of the "kingdom", then do nothing as claims take a loooong time to be fabricated and murder takes even longer).

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

I was a decent EU3 and Vic II player and a pretty drat good CK2 player, but I've loaded up EU4 a couple of times and just found the interface overwhelming.

Can someone recommend a good let's play that explains the mechanics?

Use the steam versioning to set it back to, like, 1.15 and play a game, then bring it forward a version every new game. Experience the feature creep :v:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

algebra testes posted:

Its funny because eu3 and def vicky 2 were far more complex than eu4 at launch, eu4 was amazingly simplified.

Complex isn't really the right word, it's more..bloated. The moving pieces aren't connected at all.

Still nothing like it, for better or worse.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Beamed posted:

Complex isn't really the right word, it's more..bloated. The moving pieces aren't connected at all.

Still nothing like it, for better or worse.

Like... Base EU4 was fun as hell I bought it on the strength of the demo.

But play it now with out the 30 year War DLC? Or any number of mechanics that I really like that weren't in base game? Hell no.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

algebra testes posted:

Like... Base EU4 was fun as hell I bought it on the strength of the demo.

But play it now with out the 30 year War DLC? Or any number of mechanics that I really like that weren't in base game? Hell no.

It's difficult, right, because the Paradox DLC model is really good, except it's created the choice of either paying something like $200 for the full game, or having pieces so modular they don't interact. Paradox went with the latter.

I dunno. It's the right business model for them, I guess.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

ganonso posted:

I'm sure the question has to have come up a zillion times but I'm a bit overwhelmed when I play CK2. So many start and so many countries. I decided to play a game as France at the William the Bastar's timestamp and the tooltip basically told me it would be "easy" or at least not so horrendeously difficult than the other options.

Results in scant years my king who is 14 cannot do anything, including plotting the murder of his uncle the Duke of Normandy who amass a huge faction, declare a war impossible to win (7k stack), and even if I manage to create the Duchy of Orleans to have something to do after being ousted from the throne, he simply revokes my title as I'm even weaker.

So what would be a "beginner" level? Ireland is often quoted but my test run as Mumu had a bit of the same problems (declare war on the southernmost part of the isle who is a de jure part of the "kingdom", then do nothing as claims take a loooong time to be fabricated and murder takes even longer).

Try Ireland again, the latest patches have added new cassus belli that you pay gold and piety/prestige for so Christians aren't quite as limited to needing long waits for claims.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

algebra testes posted:

I think this is a bit of a mischaracterization. EU4 actually contained most of the expansion features introduced to EU3 in one way or another. I distinctly remember it feeling more like an evolution than a reset. The "EU4 is too simplified!" bit mostly came from people upset at the removal of sliders.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think this is a bit of a mischaracterization. EU4 actually contained most of the expansion features introduced to EU3 in one way or another. I distinctly remember it feeling more like an evolution than a reset. The "EU4 is too simplified!" bit mostly came from people upset at the removal of sliders.

eu4 was more complex than eu3 from the outset. the trade revamp totally changed how you relate to the world and where you choose to expand, and is a lot more complicated than eu3's trade even though it's also much less fiddly.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think a lot of the complexity of EU3 came from trying to figure out how your economy worked.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Yeah, coming from EU3, I was completely blown away at how much better EU4's trade system was. It's not perfect (they better let it flow either direction in EU5!) but it's quite elegant, especially compared to EU3.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Senor Dog posted:

Yeah, coming from EU3, I was completely blown away at how much better EU4's trade system was. It's not perfect (they better let it flow either direction in EU5!) but it's quite elegant, especially compared to EU3.

It's interesting that trade in EU3 was as bad as it was - it was basically the same as in EU2, except, for the longest time, it removed the Autosend Merchant button EU2 had. I think Johan explicitly didn't want the button in EU3, because (someone correct me if I have this one wrong here) it automated a system that they wanted you to interact with, but they hadn't gotten to revamping the system by.. NA or IN or whenever it was re-introduced.

EU4's trade system remains a very, very strong system that's mostly perfect.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just thinking about having to balance my yearly budget in EU3 gives me conniptions.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
having a monthly income (or, honestly, it was almost always a deficit) and a yearly income made it pretty easy to accidentally bankrupt yourself.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ganonso posted:

Play as Mumu, and either prod your vassal into attacking you so that you can take his county to beef up your levies, or save up for mercs. Either way, take the third county so you have the whole dutchy, and have your chancellor fabbing claims in adjacent counties all the while. It can take a while, I usually rotate him every few years if I remember (it is possible that he can be discovered and bribed by the AI to spin his wheels and do nothing).

Once you get over half of the counties you can create the King title and the other Irish counts and dukes will generally fall in line and vassalise. Then start on either Wales or Scotland.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Beamed posted:

It's difficult, right, because the Paradox DLC model is really good, except it's created the choice of either paying something like $200 for the full game, or having pieces so modular they don't interact. Paradox went with the latter.

I dunno. It's the right business model for them, I guess.

We're due for EUV, where they can rebuild the game from the ground up, seamlessly integrating what works of the current mechanics in EUIV, and getting rid of what doesn't. That could be amazing. Right now, it's kind of a mess.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
What's your top 5 for "these came in EU4 expansions and must be in base EU5"?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Beamed posted:

It's interesting that trade in EU3 was as bad as it was - it was basically the same as in EU2, except, for the longest time, it removed the Autosend Merchant button EU2 had. I think Johan explicitly didn't want the button in EU3, because (someone correct me if I have this one wrong here) it automated a system that they wanted you to interact with, but they hadn't gotten to revamping the system by.. NA or IN or whenever it was re-introduced.

EU4's trade system remains a very, very strong system that's mostly perfect.

The trade system is good but it has one capital flaw and that's the fact you can't really reverse streams. This fucks over countries outside of Europe and seems pretty unrealistic for really powerful nations. Caravan power is a really big offender here, like why I even give those countries trade licenses? And without getting any money for it in return?

Trade would need more options and be bidirectional, obviously your own trade income would suffer if you restrict it too much. The current model is kinda dumb, the best way to get more money is by killing everyone with power in your end node.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

The Narrator posted:

1. Forts
2. Forts
3. Forts
4. Forts
5. Uhhhhhh.... Forts

A lot of the other features I can take or leave but the revamped forts with zones of control is also something I want to see in Vicky 3 and basically any game it makes sense in. Honestly most of the things from that expansion were pretty good, I kind of hope they don't leave it to the wayside.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Narrator posted:

1. Development
2. Institutions
3. Fort zones of control
4. Naval missions (plus a similar system for armies)
5. New mission system but with better trees for generics

Tahirovic posted:

The trade system is good but it has one capital flaw and that's the fact you can't really reverse streams. This fucks over countries outside of Europe and seems pretty unrealistic for really powerful nations. Caravan power is a really big offender here, like why I even give those countries trade licenses? And without getting any money for it in return?

Trade would need more options and be bidirectional, obviously your own trade income would suffer if you restrict it too much. The current model is kinda dumb, the best way to get more money is by killing everyone with power in your end node.

The problem with reversing the streams is it could potentially allow you to set up a positive feedback loop and generate infinite money.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 16, 2018

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

The Narrator posted:

6 different currencies for dealing with military stuff.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

1. Development
2. Institutions
3. Fort zones of control
4. Naval missions (plus a similar system for armies)
5. New mission system but with better trees for generics

The problem with reversing the streams is it could potentially allow you to set up a positive feedback loop and generate infinite money.

I am aware of that. Keeping a dynamic constraints list is probably too complex/cpu heavy. But it's still a major flaw in the current system. Adding ways to shut down other traders if you own every province in a trade region would help.
It's a system that could be improved but it wouldn't add a mana bar, so I doubt anything will be done.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

There used to be screenshots of a CK2 or EU4 game converted to victoria 2 that was hilariously screwed up (iirc because the conversion tool was a work in progress and got all kinds of confused as to what was supposed to be a country), does anyone know if those screenshots still exist?

It had stuff like the country "the" or "revolutionary revolutionary" and stuff like that.

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender
You may be thinking of Secret Denmark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

double nine posted:

There used to be screenshots of a CK2 or EU4 game converted to victoria 2 that was hilariously screwed up (iirc because the conversion tool was a work in progress and got all kinds of confused as to what was supposed to be a country), does anyone know if those screenshots still exist?

It had stuff like the country "the" or "revolutionary revolutionary" and stuff like that.

Barbelith posted:

You may be thinking of Secret Denmark.

See also this.

And not that anyone but me really cares about the details, those were all actual countries from EU3. But the converter didn't have the capability to add new tags because it made a save instead of a mod (the Secret Denmark review is what got us started down the road to generating mods instead of saves), and so re-used every tag it could get its hands on…including the dynamic tags. Which was bad, because in addition to the funny names that game would crash the first time anyone tried to release a dynamic nation. Which was generally on day two as the AI saw it had no colonial points and tried to fix the situation.

idhrendur fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 16, 2018