Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

lol @ all this

I loving wish I could play FFG card games online decently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Amen to that

Goblin
Jun 5, 2003

code:
ftp> put babybambino.jpg
ftp> del gravybaby.png
ftp> del gravybaby2.png
ftp> del gravybaby3.png
ftp> del gravybaby4.png
ftp> del gravybaby5.png
ftp> del gravybaby6.png
ftp> del gravybaby7.png
ftp> del gravybaby8.png
ftp> bye
Lipstick Apathy

frajaq posted:

lol @ all this

I loving wish I could play FFG card games online decently

If you like Netrunner then this is about as good as it'll ever get (and it's pretty impressive imo): https://www.jinteki.net

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I played this during the original beta and it was really good. Stopped playing when they completely hosed the game up by ruining it's identity and I can't say I'm surprised they have basically cancelled the game for now and are going for a re-release. If it comes back like it was in the original beta, just with way more content, then I think it could still be great. Dial down the notoriously labour intensive art if that's what it takes but keep the gameplay unique like it was.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
do we have a thread for mtga?

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber

botany posted:

do we have a thread for mtga?

Do we even have keys for it though

e: I'm pretty sure you're keeping SA singlehandedly alive with all these avys

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Knowlue posted:

Do we even have keys for it though

e: I'm pretty sure you're keeping SA singlehandedly alive with all these avys

i broke down and bought a beta key for 4 bucks, so now i do :v:

the whole UI as of now is pretty badly explained and i have questions, so a thread would be nice.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

botany posted:

i broke down and bought a beta key for 4 bucks, so now i do :v:

the whole UI as of now is pretty badly explained and i have questions, so a thread would be nice.

There's the Magic thread in Traditional Games, and plenty of folk in there have access to Arena and are happy to talk about it. Only thing is that it's 100% a general MTG thread, so it's mostly people complaining about card prices, talking about their favorite format that nobody else plays, and goons not knowing how to play the game.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 18, 2018

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Electronico6 posted:

There's the Magic thread in Traditional Games, and plenty of folk in there have access to Arena and are happy to talk about it. Only thing is that it's 100% a general MTG thread, so it's mostly people complaining about cared prices, talking about their favorite format that nobody else plays, and goons not knowing how to play the game.

i didn't even think of looking there, i'm not sure i've ever really been to TradGames. thanks!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Goblin posted:

If you like Netrunner then this is about as good as it'll ever get (and it's pretty impressive imo): https://www.jinteki.net

Netrunner is a blast, and has that non traditional card game combat I adored about early Gwent. I think there's also online clients for their game of thrones and legend of five rings card games. No idea about their star wars stuff tho.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Lmao playing arena, somehow got an incredible 14 gold draw. Thought I had no chance of losing. Somehow managed it though, first two times by just getting awful draws and the third time pretty spectacularly by drawing all golds, opponent flat passes, I play gaunter thinking it's a safe way to get rid of an unpredictable card. Guess who successfully guesses and gets themselves Saesenthessis: Blaze, banishing all their golds and replacing them with a bunch of trash. Lmfao. So mad right now. This game.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
New faction challenge for the ded game. Scoiatel vs NG. Expect even more brouver.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

Lmao playing arena, somehow got an incredible 14 gold draw. Thought I had no chance of losing. Somehow managed it though, first two times by just getting awful draws and the third time pretty spectacularly by drawing all golds, opponent flat passes, I play gaunter thinking it's a safe way to get rid of an unpredictable card. Guess who successfully guesses and gets themselves Saesenthessis: Blaze, banishing all their golds and replacing them with a bunch of trash. Lmfao. So mad right now. This game.

This story makes me love Gwent even more.

Edit: Obviously, if it had happened to me I'd have uninstalled and thrown my computer out the window.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

At least you got your maerolorn portrait.

I did the same play with gaunter in the same situation once and got yarpen, so clearly I'm the more skillful player.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Also if you want to farm the scoiatel border quickly the strongest deck right now appears to be brouver shupe. It's busted because barclay is op and you get to play him three times (play once, hattori, shupe hunter mega decoy), and because you can make yaevinn always draw shupe if he's your only spell. Not a balanced deck but with all the morons in low ranks running shackles and artifact compression it's no fun to play more synergistic decks. (I tried playing a big dragon deck for a while but after getting artifact compressioned by a henselt I had to stop)

Brouver's definitely reached the point where he's a big problem and the counters have stopped working now that his decks focus entirely on getting a strong round 3.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
This game basically doesn't exist for me until homecoming hth

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I don't understand the "Gwent is dead" mindset. Yeah, they're going to fix a few egregious cards, like Wardancer, in May and then the game's not going to change again until October. But, with the exception of a few egregious cards, like Wardancer, I like the way the game currently is. I plan to be perfectly happy playing this version of the game for the next 6 months.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

More power to you but I think you're very much in the minority. Even if the status quo is fairly balanced, I would say most people find games like this get stale quickly without regular infusions of content

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 26, 2018

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret

No Mods No Masters posted:

More power to you but I think you're very much in the minority. Even if the status quo is fairly balanced, I would say most people find games like this get stale quickly without regular infusions of content

I'm in this camp. I like the game but don't see much value in spending much time on it if there isn't change/forward momentum.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Dont see the point in trying to play and git gud at Gwent 1.0 when the devs recognized how bad the state of the game is that they're doing Gwent 2.0 as we speak

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Even hearthstone manages to poop out a ~125 card expansion every four months or so, and even that is often called aggravatingly slow

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

Save us Gaben

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

if you think artifact is going to save you I hope you've got a few thousand dollars ready to invest in another MTG model

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Getting to win a lot for the ~100 or so games I play per month probably has a lot to do with why I still enjoy this game. But there isnt much reason to play past rank 20 anyways, so it seems fine. I actually have no problems with the state of the game right now, as long as I'm playing not very good opponents it's hard to notice things like coinflip or create deciding games.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

https://clips.twitch.tv/TacitSpineyLatteKappaPride

esports

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/8fli2x/jj_assire_wasnt_bugged/

quote:

for those who missed it: jj played assire and shuffled back cantarella and roach. he wanted to put roach into his deck and cantarella into hanachans deck, but he did it the other way around. if you are not aware of it but cards in the graveyard are marked in wich one they are by the color of the border they show as you hover over them.

now what jj threw of. he played as the red player and since the challenger client is different from the client we are all playing on, he actually is the red player on his screen too. in all games we play red border in the graveyard means that it is a card in the opponents graveyard. but since he is red, cards in his graveyard had the red boarder. i guess he got confused by it. but it wasnt a bug and a missplay on his side in my oppinion. so the rematch is kinda not needed. let me know what you think.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I do think it's crazy that players have to play with red outlines in the tournament client. I would misplay an awful lot if I had to deal with that. At least it mitigates the effects of coinflip a bit by making the red player confused.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
Guess I chose the wrong time to jump back into this to see how the game was these days. Doom and gloom everywhere. it's at least nice to be proven right about the reasons I dropped the game. I suppose I'll just uninstall until October after I get tired of messing around.

I'm also excited to see how badly wizards screws up digital magic (again) and how stupid the dota thing will be!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ladder's really not that bad, especially if you only start climbing halfway through the season. I actually enjoy it quite a bit

You will be playing a game that the developers have sort of soft-abandoned though so it does feel a little weird. Things happen like getting back the things you mulled in arena over and over and nobody working on the game seems to care or even notice, it's really odd.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
Yeah I'm actually enjoying ladder right now. It's pretty refreshing to play this again :shobon: Whenever I get annoyed I'll just stop.

Random question: It seems like a lot of people are playing brouver for the brouver>barclay>cleaver tempo play, how come people don't use Francesca for that instead? Seems like you can always set it up so that you can play her to fetch barclay (who then fetches cleaver), isn't that more power? What am I missing here?

E: oh I guess it's just for the one extra card worth of deck thinning?

troofs fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 1, 2018

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Francesca is 3 more points than Brouver and boosts Barclay by 3 = 6.
Value of the bronze you swapped away? 11-12.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
Because Brouver + Barcley + Cleaver is a 26+ points play and Francesca is a 7 point play.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
I get the whole idea of single card power off of brouver it just seems like it would be pretty easy to squeeze out a few more points with francesca by swapping the wardancer you were going to mulligan anyway or barclay himself or something. It's not like people don't use two turns to set up the cleaver target anyway.

I guess I am undervaluing the one-card-bomb aspect of it, and the francesca version is harder to use Yaevinn with too. Thanks for the responses.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
The immense tempo and the ease of creating a no win situation for your opponent where they have to choose between losing on even or winning two cards down is the primary reason to play the combo and wouldn't really work with Francesca.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The brouver barclay cleaver combo (BBC) is 26 points. Basically, if you spy then BBC on red your opponent has to have played 13 points the first turn to not be behind if they pass after the spy is played. With a wardancer on the board that number goes up to 16+, which is why for example oceanmud is running golyat.

It's fairly rare to be able to play 16 points with no setup without removing a win condition from your deck. If your opponent plays another card after your spy brouver can just pass and will lose the round up two cards (and most brouver decks are nova decks - giving nova decks CA is devastating).

You can answer their spy with your own spy, but a.) you need to draw it and b.) that makes you vulnerable to wardancer. It's something that you can theoretically answer but has a very high chance to put brouver up two cards whenever he's on red.

On red the combo is much less scary and BBC being a 26 point play is less threatening. The deck got a lot stronger once everyone put nova in it.

The leader with the best consistent play on blue vs brouver is king bran - if you bran turn 1 then answer their spy with udalryk you'll be almost even after the combo thanks to wolfsbane and you'll have more carryover than an unbuffed wardancer (assuming you discarded olgierd), answering the biggest threat brouver has. The problem with bran is that his matchup against everyone besides brouver isnt very good and the greatswords matchup is downright embarrassing.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 1, 2018

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

Artifact may ruin my wallet but at least it'll be goddamn visually stunning

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Did I miss a memo or something? I just faced three mill decks in five games. I thought mill was dead?

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

rydiafan posted:

Did I miss a memo or something? I just faced three mill decks in five games. I thought mill was dead?

Mill decks have been lurking around for a while since the patch that killed it. I think it's pretty bad now, but like an imlerith sabbath deck, there are specific types of decks that can't really stop them. I guess that keeps it going

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah, it was just weird. I didn't see one the entirety of last season, and suddenly seeing three within an hour was just bizarre. Also, my deck appears to be one of the ones that just can't beat them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I've played against two this season. I think they live and die on good sweers pulls now.