Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Facebook Aunt posted:

BTW, does anyone else kinda like that granny gothic velvet wallpaper? No? Just me? I haven't seen it inside a house decorated in the last 40 years. Maybe that means it is due for a comeback and it will be the next big thing. Fingers crossed.

My grandma still has hers plus the green shag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Worse is that it has a strong chance of backfiring anyway. Whatever is on trend right now will be dated within 10 years. So if you hate, I dunno lets say interior shiplap, but you install shiplap because it's on TV then in 10 years you go to sell your house and everyone is sneering at your fake rear end shiplap wall. If you had actually gone with your preferred wall covering (granny gothic velvet wallpaper) they would still be sneering of course, but you'd have gotten 10 years of something you liked.

If you’re not happy going with your own esoteric desires, the best rule of thumb is to go with something that’s either original to the house or in keeping with the style. Unless the house was originally a pile of poo poo, people will at minimum nod understandingly even if it’s not their jam.

Facebook Aunt posted:

BTW, does anyone else kinda like that granny gothic velvet wallpaper? No? Just me? I haven't seen it inside a house decorated in the last 40 years. Maybe that means it is due for a comeback and it will be the next big thing. Fingers crossed.

Wasn’t that super on trend like a decade ago? Especially “ironic” placement or color use? Like, you’d have three gray or white walls and then an accent wall of original-style gothic print, or a contemporary “reimagining” in dark violet or neon green or electric blue?

I remember it pairing really well with antique furniture pieces spray painted a flat bright color, mounted deer heads (painted or unpainted), and music by the Killers.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

Nice! Shiny easier to clean and won't absorb smells from the room.

I'm not sure what smells it would be absorbing in the bedroom but in any case everything in that photo has been torn out and replaced, including the wall, floor, and ceiling.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My recent wallpaper catalog included damask prints in both griege and shiny varieties. I probably should have at least used some shiny white damask on a ceiling.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Part of my problem is I don't know anyone who obsessively upgrades their house in terms of future selling, though I did once wander into a Houzz thread where someone was agonizing over a backsplash choice between the one they personally enjoyed and the one they thought would add value for when they eventually moved, and everyone in the thread was encouraging the latter.
I was like this up until a year ago. I tried to avoid permanent installations in my apartment because I was worried putting holes in the walls would reduce the resale value, and I kept thinking I would be moving again soon.. Then I relized I don't actually need to move if I just stop caring about resale value and redecorate the way I want it. It's quite liberating.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

IT’S WATCHING ME :tinfoil:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Renovating the kid’s room I see.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

It’s a real pretty shade of blue though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If you’re not happy going with your own esoteric desires, the best rule of thumb is to go with something that’s either original to the house or in keeping with the style. Unless the house was originally a pile of poo poo, people will at minimum nod understandingly even if it’s not their jam.

Wasn’t that super on trend like a decade ago? Especially “ironic” placement or color use? Like, you’d have three gray or white walls and then an accent wall of original-style gothic print, or a contemporary “reimagining” in dark violet or neon green or electric blue?

I remember it pairing really well with antique furniture pieces spray painted a flat bright color, mounted deer heads (painted or unpainted), and music by the Killers.

Oh no, I missed it! Curse my lack of attention to trends. Oh well, it will come back in another 40 years.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm not sure what smells it would be absorbing in the bedroom but in any case everything in that photo has been torn out and replaced, including the wall, floor, and ceiling.

Very old flocked wallpaper (the only kind I've seen) often has a musty smell. People also used to smoke a lot, like a crazy amount of continuous smoking in every room, so a stale smoke smell is common in rooms with old flocked wallpaper or old carpets.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
Yeah, damask/faux-flocked patterns were pretty trendy in the mid 2000s. They’re still big in the wallpaper world, but more in an “inspired by” sense than the traditional patterns. I put “Beastly Guardians” by Flat Vernacular in my powder room last year:

From afar it looks like your typical ornate doodles but up close there are lions, bears, geese, and pigeons. Flat Vernacular and Flavor Paper both have lots of beautiful, unexpected wallpaper designs. Almost makes me want to do another room.

Melicious fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 12, 2018

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Indolent Bastard posted:

Renovating the kid’s room I see.

Actually, that might be pretty good at keeping a kid OUT of a room. Put that up in like, an office, tell the kid the walls know if they've been messing with your work computer. That'll keep them out for YEARS.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

Very old flocked wallpaper (the only kind I've seen) often has a musty smell.

Gotcha.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Melicious posted:

Yeah, damask/faux-flocked patterns were pretty trendy in the mid 2000s. They’re still big in the wallpaper world, but more in an “inspired by” sense than the traditional patterns. I put “Beastly Guardians” by Flat Vernacular in my powder room last year:
https://imgur.com/a/qiIAs

From afar it looks like your typical ornate doodles but up close there are lions, bears, geese, and pigeons. Flat Vernacular and Flavor Paper both have lots of beautiful, unexpected wallpaper designs. Almost makes me want to do another room.

That’s awesome. My partner and I would love to do that once we own. For now we’ll have to settle with a cross-stitch of various infectious bacteria :shrug:

When Midnight Pastoral by Alexander Henry was available, I thought about getting couch cushions wrapped in it but never got around to it. I love cheeky decor touches like that, for all that they often get derided as “twee.”

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That’s awesome. My partner and I would love to do that once we own. For now we’ll have to settle with a cross-stitch of various infectious bacteria :shrug:

When Midnight Pastoral by Alexander Henry was available, I thought about getting couch cushions wrapped in it but never got around to it. I love cheeky decor touches like that, for all that they often get derided as “twee.”

Looks like it's still around in the secondary markets of ebay, etsy, and old stock from online shops. Can't find upholstery weight, though so maybe not for couch cushions.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I love Alexander Henry prints! And yeah, I like a good dose of whimsy in my home.

PurpleLizardWizard
Jun 11, 2012
What would you guys do with this room layout? There's a house I'm tempted to buy, but I just can't figure out what to do with the rooms in the very middle of the first floor.

Notes:
- The wall along the top has a lot of large, low windows, so nothing but the lowest furniture could go against it.
- The red box is the fireplace, and the non-kitchen wall that surrounds it is brick.
- My scribbles have a loose relationship with scale.
- Dining? room is on the small side for a kitchen table, but doable. The other option I can see is to make it a seating area around the fireplace, but I'm not inclined towards that.
- Dining?? used to be the dining area before the kitchen was moved in a prior renovation. This is the area that most confuses me, because it's got the sliding doors to the deck, large windows, and is open to both the hall and the staircase. The current owners plunked a TV and sofa down in here, but it's definitely weird looking. It's about the same size as the prior room.
- Dining??? is an area that's coded as a dining room with its light fixture, but is part of a larger living room and would be no problem to just make it all living room.
- The kitchen, dining?, dining??, and the hallway are all using the same tile, but I figure I'll be changing that eventually.
- Reading nook is out as a suggestion, as there's already a room elsewhere that's begging for that use.

I really like just about everything else about the house, but these rooms, I just can't figure them out. And I know it would bother me forever to leave any of them purposeless.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I like your "all dining" solution, stick with that.

PurpleLizardWizard
Jun 11, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I like your "all dining" solution, stick with that.

Ha, I'd probably go with two of them if one of them could be used as a formal dining room, even if I personally find formal and informal dining silly. But everything is just too open, and the two near the kitchen don't have the wall space to put up a china cabinet/buffet/sideboard/anything.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Could you turn one of the rooms into an exercise room, maybe? Depending on how much storage you have in the kitchen, it might be helpful to have some of that room adjacent to it dedicated to extra storage, like a pantry or a chest freezer.

On a different note, I checked out an open house recently. Former rental, and the landlord clearly had not cared about upkeep. Old, dirty appliances, dirty windows (with the curtains drawn everywhere to make it harder to tell), uneven floors, cracks in the trim. Small, cramped, 3-bed 1-bath place. Fairly large lot for the area though, and there was a lovely view of the ocean from the back yard. If I were to have bought the place, I would've built a new house in the back yard and either torn down the old one or used it as a shed.

...but I wasn't gonna buy it, because they wanted loving $950k for the thing. San Francisco Bay Area prices :shepface:

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

My sister looked at a place that was so tiny that it didn't have space for a full-size fridge or even a stove and the laundry would have to be a double-stacked type in the entrance hallway. 2 bed, 1 bath, $74k out here in mostly-goddamn-nowhere. Major industry around here is carpet mills, and she drives an hour each way to work at an Amazon fulfillment center. Certainly not at all possible for a single mom with two kids to live in without proper cooking abilities.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I would eat at a cozy 4-person table pushed against the windows in dining?, fill dining?? with toys and picture books (to step on) or maybe as a laundry/backpack space and use dining??? as a wide living room with space for a party food table. That mspaint map is so terrible lol

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Make Dining?? a cat play room. Fill it with cat furniture and cat shelves and stuff.

Of course this will be weird if you don't have any cats. In that case get a couple cats.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Nothing spruces up a home like the smell of animal urine

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's also an ideal place for a year-round Christmas Tree/Valentine Bush/Freedom Pine/Haunted Conifer (or pets or yoga or laundry or mah jong).

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

peanut posted:

It's also an ideal place for a year-round Christmas Tree/Valentine Bush/Freedom Pine/Haunted Conifer (or pets or yoga or laundry or mah jong).

That would be real good, yeah. If you do Christmas Tree it is great to have a place to put one that doesn't require moving around your furniture. That would be real nice in a high traffic central location at the foot of the stairs.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

Valentine Bush

:stonkhat:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

PurpleLizardWizard posted:

What would you guys do with this room layout? There's a house I'm tempted to buy, but I just can't figure out what to do with the rooms in the very middle of the first floor.

Notes:
- The wall along the top has a lot of large, low windows, so nothing but the lowest furniture could go against it.
- The red box is the fireplace, and the non-kitchen wall that surrounds it is brick.
- My scribbles have a loose relationship with scale.
- Dining? room is on the small side for a kitchen table, but doable. The other option I can see is to make it a seating area around the fireplace, but I'm not inclined towards that.
- Dining?? used to be the dining area before the kitchen was moved in a prior renovation. This is the area that most confuses me, because it's got the sliding doors to the deck, large windows, and is open to both the hall and the staircase. The current owners plunked a TV and sofa down in here, but it's definitely weird looking. It's about the same size as the prior room.
- Dining??? is an area that's coded as a dining room with its light fixture, but is part of a larger living room and would be no problem to just make it all living room.
- The kitchen, dining?, dining??, and the hallway are all using the same tile, but I figure I'll be changing that eventually.
- Reading nook is out as a suggestion, as there's already a room elsewhere that's begging for that use.

I really like just about everything else about the house, but these rooms, I just can't figure them out. And I know it would bother me forever to leave any of them purposeless.

I would love a dining room with a fireplace. Then I might actually use the fireplace instead of cursing it for causing an awkward room layout (our house was built before TVs were a big thing).

Dining? As your dining room and extra kitcheny storage if needed.

Dining?? Throw in a chair and a shelf coat rack or whatever, make it a transitional space to the outside and upstairs. Add some seasonal decor of the room looks empty.

Dining??? Use as the living room.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

peanut posted:

Get some white witch of Narnia aesthetic up in here.

A MIRACLE posted:

I was once inside a house of a cat hoarder who had over a hundred cats (and one dog)

There was a room that was probably 10x13, with litterboxes lining the 4 walls like urinals in a stadium bathroom. The whole house had a sticky glaze of cat piss on the carpet and up the walls to about the 4 foot mark. The smell was unmanageable and I threw up nearly immediately after leaving (and feel like retching every time I retell this story).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I feel like retching having -read- that story. :stonk:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

A MIRACLE posted:

You're supposed to have a litterbox.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Curious about this thread’s take on this imgur post, specifically the wood wainscoting with white trim and painted upper. It’s not something I would have considered, but I don’t find it awful, in fact I kinda like it. Whereas looking at pictures of fully-wood-paneled walls with white trim is awful to me, like really bad, so I’m trying to analyze it a little more closely, as I have a similar space I’m working on.

Example:

The rest of the album:
https://imgur.com/gallery/rZIANFJ

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I've always found that contrast is the most important element for making something look good to me. Either a full wall of wood or a full wall of paint is going to look either busy or boring, usually people go with boring and then add contrast via hanging pictures or adding furniture and lighting.

Taken on it's own, a wall with a busy lower, clean separation, and calm upper is going to provide that contrast as a package.

Personally I would've had a bit less wood and a more compatible colour of paint, but season to taste, I guess.

Things like the natural wood are also not so great in large volume because it looks unfinished due to the chaos of the grain. It's very possible to make good use of an unfinished surface but it has to look deliberate, hence contrasting it hard with something very clean. A good example of this for me is the offices of Double Fine where they set bare brick against smooth bold-coloured paint. Bad example here but the best I could find:

The highly finished nature of the painted wall shows that the unfinished wall is deliberate and not just laziness, and to me that makes all the difference.

So, painted top, wooden bottom, neat dado. Job done.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Munki posted:

Curious about this thread’s take on this imgur post, specifically the wood wainscoting with white trim and painted upper. It’s not something I would have considered, but I don’t find it awful, in fact I kinda like it. Whereas looking at pictures of fully-wood-paneled walls with white trim is awful to me, like really bad, so I’m trying to analyze it a little more closely, as I have a similar space I’m working on.

Example:

The rest of the album:

I have been to this BBQ restaurant...

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Bad Munki posted:

Example:

The rest of the album:

This room reminds me of the time my friend took me to what I thought was a pizza party but turned out to be a Christian recruitment seminar.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I... kinda like it. A lot. It looks like a comfortable basement, nothing stylish or fancy, but you don't spend much time in there anyway so it doesn't really matter. I might look into doing something similar with my half-finished basement.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I wouldn't ever do is just as they have, but as a seed, possibly. Like, pine is too busy, something a bit more subdued would be nice. Possibly some sort of hickory. But you can't go dark, or the white trim is OMG. And I don't know about the green itself, but at least they went with a mild one. The green + pine is a bit too US Forest Service, although the white trim reduces that impression.

Anyhow, it's interesting, I was just confounded by not being entirely repulsed by wood paneling + white trim.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This room reminds me of the time my friend took me to what I thought was a pizza party but turned out to be a Christian recruitment seminar.
This cracks me up although I think it should be a soft blue instead of green for that.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Pine is fine I think if you use a semi transparent finish with white in it to reduce that "too busy" look that pine gets. I think that looks quite nice in general.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 22, 2018

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Interesting. Do you have an example?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Bad Munki posted:

Example:

The rest of the album:

I think my biggest problem really is that instead of mounting the pine board so it was flush with the existing doorframe, he trimmed it out with its own individual frame. To me it just makes the pine board look like an afterthought, or maybe "I had this idea but I didn't know how to do it correctly."

Also:

there wolf posted:

I have been to this BBQ restaurant...

:same: