Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Rad Valtar posted:

Nobody wanted another god of war game like the previous ones.

I kinda did, because

Tei posted:

God of War 3 was one of these 10/10 things ...I don't remember if that the score I got at the time, but is the one that deserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

L-O-N posted:

Wait, what? I'm pretty sure that's not how reviews work, at least for single player games. Maybe for multiplayer games where there really is no ending.

Apparently a lot of the early MGSV reviews were done based on the first few hours of the game, which sounds absolutely ludicrous if you think about it.

Imagine a film critic reviewing the first hour of a film.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Apparently a lot of the early MGSV reviews were done based on the first few hours of the game, which sounds absolutely ludicrous if you think about it.

They had a max amount of time to play the game, but it was about 40 hours, which is more time than most people put into anything.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Nah they were done based on a konami controlled weekend hotel stay. Anyone that reviewed mgsv was in a room playing for 2 straight days with a konami minder there to keep them happy with booze and poopsock changes

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
So i'm playing through the Ratchet & Clank game that came on PS+ a few months back. Maybe it's because all I play is Battlefield, but I'm really impressed with it. The graphics are absolutely beautiful and I quite enjoy the gameplay. Lots of whacky guns, game mechanics and so on. Are there any similar fun/creative games like this, I guess they are 3D platformers?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I would say reviewing a film is a little easier than reviewing a game too. Most films are between 90 and 180 minutes on average and it is easier to absorb something you are not in direct control of. (Like watching the scenery in the passenger seat of a car compared to the drivers seat).

I take forever to finish games. Absolutely forever. The length of time it took me to finish Horizon Zero Dawn (to a 55% completion rate) was enough to watch the entirety of The Office (US) version. This is why my own reviews are well after the fact, simply because I would not be able to be a current reviewer. I imagine people who play and review games cannot sit through everything in fear of burnout, and so they cut corners and play to a point where they feel they could give good enough representation.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rad Valtar posted:

Nobody wanted another god of war game like the previous ones.

I just don't understand the need to introduce crafting and lootgame poo poo into every drat game

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

L-O-N posted:

Wait, what? I'm pretty sure that's not how reviews work, at least for single player games. Maybe for multiplayer games where there really is no ending.

It's really complicated to properly review a game and, let's be honest, most of these people simply don't give a poo poo.

I remember a strategy game had a snarky message for the reviewers if they chose the easiest mode available when picking a new game as that's what most of them do.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I just don't understand the need to introduce crafting and lootgame poo poo into every drat game
I feel like this too but every once in a while a game has a crafting system that becomes crack to me and I never know which one it's gonna be.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

I feel like this too but every once in a while a game has a crafting system that becomes crack to me and I never know which one it's gonna be.

God of Brickerbrack

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DLC Inc posted:

idk what happened with Andromeda. The combat was the best ever and everything else was taken to the lowest bar imaginable from the story to the writing to your teammates. ME2 was the perfect balance of good shooty gameplay and a generally good story with an awesome cast of characters and side stories. Maybe if Thane was in Andromeda it could have been saved lol. Also not being able to command your teammates in Andromeda was EXTREMELY bad. Like all the strategy was taken away and you just have to hope you can get combos by accident.

It sucks because I'd love to play another game like that but idk who else has the chops to attempt a coverbased squad thing versus aliens with good storylines unless XCOM goes off on some bizarre tangent.

The first three years were spent wasting time loving about with developing procedural planets, then they brought Mac Walters in to get things on track and tossed all that in the bin. What actually got released was the result of the last two years of rushed development.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Mass Effect Andromeda really feels like they felt Mass Effect 1 was the pinnacle of the series and decided that huge gigantic open worlds was the solution to the game, but that they just needed to feel like something was happening in them! So the solution was to put a billion quests in the game but the problem was almost none of them mattered at all.

My first run of the game took 80 hours, a second run of the game doing pretty much only story took me 7-8. When 90% of your game is boring side content, that does not make for a good game.

Even Mass Effect 1 if you rushed some side stories could be finished in the 20-30 hour range, and the sequels were even better at trimming down the fat and giving a well paced game, with interesting side content and focused on presenting good story and characters. Andromeda was people flushing that all down the toilet and just going “what lovely things can we do to put a checkmark on this feature box?”

Andromeda isn’t a terrible game. It’s not so awful that you have to eject it within minutes of playing it. However it’s so boring, soulless, and ultimately devoid anything exciting that it makes it worse than truly terrible games by being so unremarkably dull and tedious.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Because of the idiots who think a game isn't worth it if it is too short. I spent $60, I better get my $$ worth. I even see goons saying the same basic thing.

The truth is that a good game that is 10 hours long is better than an equally good game that is 20 hours long. Our time is valuable.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

L-O-N posted:

I believe reviews made of the first 3 hours is more the norm, where reviews made of somebody that played the whole game are the exception, but I don't have numbers here to backup it, only my memory (that is flawed).

I believe games like God of War will get a increase ratio of people posting a review after playing the whole game. The exceptions are important games like GoW.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Waltzing Along posted:

Because of the idiots who think a game isn't worth it if it is too short. I spent $60, I better get my $$ worth. I even see goons saying the same basic thing.

The truth is that a good game that is 10 hours long is better than an equally good game that is 20 hours long. Our time is valuable.

It's a replayability/time ratio for me. If a game is 10 hours and I will never go back to it. Sorry it's a rental no matter how good. If it's a game I want to play again in a year it's going to have a goty version or at least be cheap on a sale. If it's something with tons of hours of content. Horizon, witcher, so on, then I will buy out right and chip away.

Our money is valuable.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

henpod posted:

So i'm playing through the Ratchet & Clank game that came on PS+ a few months back. Maybe it's because all I play is Battlefield, but I'm really impressed with it. The graphics are absolutely beautiful and I quite enjoy the gameplay. Lots of whacky guns, game mechanics and so on. Are there any similar fun/creative games like this, I guess they are 3D platformers?

If you have a PS3 the Ratchet & Clank games on there are all somewhere between pretty good and excellent.
(The traditional style ones anyway, theres a co-op shooter and tower defense game that weren't great)

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

It's really complicated to properly review a game and, let's be honest, most of these people simply don't give a poo poo.

I remember a strategy game had a snarky message for the reviewers if they chose the easiest mode available when picking a new game as that's what most of them do.

Sure, I get that part, and that they cut corners at times depending on the game genre. But reviewers will still finish the game. Especially for story driven games.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

henpod posted:

So i'm playing through the Ratchet & Clank game that came on PS+ a few months back. Maybe it's because all I play is Battlefield, but I'm really impressed with it. The graphics are absolutely beautiful and I quite enjoy the gameplay. Lots of whacky guns, game mechanics and so on.

Yeah it's actually a remaster of the 2002 original. The gameplay holds up surprisingly well and the graphics are out-of-nowhere one of the best looking titles in the entire PS4 library (seriously what happened here!?).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Tei posted:

I believe reviews made of the first 3 hours is more the norm, where reviews made of somebody that played the whole game are the exception, but I don't have numbers here to backup it, only my memory (that is flawed).

This is completely incorrect. Maybe influencers have screwed things up, but most major outlet reviewers play through a significant portion of the game, if not to the credits. Almost all reviewers who have talked about their process have mentioned spending whole weekends without breaks just powering through a game so they can review it. This is also why many of them were miffed that publishers like Bethesda no longer send advanced review copies weeks ahead but instead like send them a code 24 hours before launch.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Tei posted:

I believe games like God of War will get a increase ratio of people posting a review after playing the whole game. The exceptions are important games like GoW.

That seems strange, especially for games like Final Fantasy 13 where you don't get out of the tutorial until like 8 hrs in. Also, how can you judge a story driven game if you don't play most of the story?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bombadilillo posted:

It's a replayability/time ratio for me. If a game is 10 hours and I will never go back to it. Sorry it's a rental no matter how good. If it's a game I want to play again in a year it's going to have a goty version or at least be cheap on a sale. If it's something with tons of hours of content. Horizon, witcher, so on, then I will buy out right and chip away.

Our money is valuable.

I rarely feel the need to replay games except for ones I have serious nostalgia for that I haven't played in years tbh

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm all for a long game experience with tons of content, hell I played through two and a half Persona games last year, but I don't have a ton of time to game like I used to and sometimes I'd rather play a more focused game that doesn't have a bunch of extra padding

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I rarely feel the need to replay games except for ones I have serious nostalgia for that I haven't played in years tbh

Usually it's with goty editions with 3 dlc's. Or something you can do a completely different build on. Invariable it's a year or 2 between plays.

Rent them buy 2 years later for $5 is pretty effecient.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That's why I'm replaying Knack.

The platinum seems too grindy to go for, like I dig the game but not that much. The platinum for Knack 2 seems more reasonable so I think I'll work towards that at least

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Almost all reviewers who have talked about their process have mentioned spending whole weekends without breaks just powering through a game so they can review it.

This sounds like a miserable way to experience video games. :(

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bombadilillo posted:

Usually it's with goty editions with 3 dlc's. Or something you can do a completely different build on. Invariable it's a year or 2 between plays.

Rent them buy 2 years later for $5 is pretty effecient.

That's totally fair, personally my backlog is huge enough already without digging into stuff I've already played in the last couple years

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I don't understand the complaint against padding in games if it's optional content. Nobodys forcing you at gunpoint to play those bits if you don't want to. Otherwise it's nice to have more to do in a game if you're enjoying it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Spalec posted:

(The traditional style ones anyway, theres a co-op shooter and tower defense game that weren't great)

All 4 One would have been better if Sony let Insomniac call it Four Play like they wanted to.

IIRC "Clockblockers" was thrown around for Crack in Time, too.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fridge corn posted:

I don't understand the complaint against padding in games if it's optional content. Nobodys forcing you at gunpoint to play those bits if you don't want to. Otherwise it's nice to have more to do in a game if you're enjoying it

Sometimes it's not

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

fridge corn posted:

This argument rarely makes sense to me. Lot of times it's impossible to distinguish the boring, padded stuff from the core, fun game play until later so it just ends up wasting my time.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

You are posting in a thread that defends a game that spends a solid fourth of its time asking you to replay the first fourth of the game.

The padding is games is also funny because most people do not finish games, so why pad them in the first place? I would much rather play a succinct 10 hour affair than a 25 -40 hour slog.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I usually describe padding as tedious bulk to the gameplay time. The one I always think about is in Tales of Symphonia, when you have to go through a 20 minute sewer dungeon to sneak into a town. The dungeon itself doesn't add anything and could have been cut to no detriment to the game. You can even skip the dungeon on subsequent visits via fast travel.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

fridge corn posted:

Optional is fine yeah
Progress gating is the worst. If i have one level left before i beat your game and im still kinda enjoying it, i will hate the game if to unlock that level i need to fill up a meter.

Exceptions exist if course, in mario 64 for instance collecting tokens to progress is the point. In a game like beyond good and evil where saving the world depends on collecting 50 orbs to pay some mechanic before you can fight the boss, i want to kick the designers rear end for putting such an artificial barrier in a game that is only tangentially about collecting orbs

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Optional is fine yeah
Progress gating is the worst. If i have one level left before i beat your game and im still kinda enjoying it, i will hate the game if to unlock that level i need to fill up a meter.

Exceptions exist if course, in mario 64 for instance collecting tokens to progress is the point. In a game like beyond good and evil where saving the world depends on collecting 50 orbs to pay some mechanic before you can fight the boss, i want to kick the designers rear end for putting such an artificial barrier in a game that is only tangentially about collecting orbs

Even in those Mario games you need like 40-60% of the tokens to advance. YOU decide when to move on and you it makes most content optional so you can pick and choose.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spalec posted:

If you have a PS3 the Ratchet & Clank games on there are all somewhere between pretty good and excellent.

Iirc, you don't want to play the ports of the PS2 games on the PS3 either. They're buggy and terrible versions.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm surprised at how many of you guys are "ethics in games journalism" conspiracy theorists over a game getting good reviews.

Did y'all ever consider that maybe it's just that reviewers are just a bunch of hyperbole prone nerds, much like many of the posters itt vs. some big evil corrupt force trying to get us to buy video games?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

veni veni veni posted:

I'm surprised at how many of you guys are "ethics in games journalism" conspiracy theorists over a game getting good reviews.

Did y'all ever consider that maybe it's just that reviewers are just a bunch of hyperbole prone nerds, much like many of the posters itt vs. some big evil corrupt force trying to get us to buy video games?

That only works on an individual level.

Relying on a large group to be motivated in the same way with no connection out of knowhere is a little unrealistic

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

lordfrikk posted:

This argument rarely makes sense to me. Lot of times it's impossible to distinguish the boring, padded stuff from the core, fun game play until later so it just ends up wasting my time.

I don't understand, are you saying it's difficult for you to determine if you are having fun or not while playing a game?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

veni veni veni posted:

Whenever I hear people talk about "bought reviews" I cringe a bit. I have no horse in this race or affinity towards games journalists, but jfc it's just a toy. Wait to hear what other people say about it or just use your own judgement if you are that :tinfoil: about nerds gushing over a game. None of this poo poo matters. If anything game reviews are useful for entertainment and early warnings on games that are huge pieces of poo poo, and nothing else.

Every time it comes up my eyes roll into another dimension. Like c’mon stop looking for reasons to be mad about this fun as heck hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
"Games should have more boring filler in them" is a hell of a thing to say in The Age Of The lovely Ubisoft Icon Hell Game