Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

96 spacejam posted:

Is there room in the guild yet? I haven't checked since the first few week of this league and a few pages back it sounds like invites were going out.

If there is my acct is YNSAE, I'll be in-game most of tonight leveling my new build under FVNSLDE

There is room. I imagine Rodent will get to your request soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Great names, good job

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Xeras posted:

What exactly should I be prioritizing for a stat stick, anyhow?

at least 2 "added as extra", then in order attack speed (unless your main hand is faster), crit multiplier, ele damage, the last "added as extra" (because it costs 15 ex apparently)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Goa Tse-tung posted:

at least 2 "added as extra", then in order attack speed (unless your main hand is faster), crit multiplier, ele damage, the last "added as extra" (because it costs 15 ex apparently)

Why would you want attack speed on a stat stick? It's not being used.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Question, what weapon skills are mainly being used with statsticks, reave and blade flurry? I think I want to give one a go as a league starter next league.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

McFrugal posted:

Why would you want attack speed on a stat stick? It's not being used.

shield charge

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Question, what weapon skills are mainly being used with statsticks, reave and blade flurry? I think I want to give one a go as a league starter next league.

Sunder

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

How does one Shield Charge while dual wielding? :confused:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

96 spacejam posted:

Is there room in the guild yet? I haven't checked since the first few week of this league and a few pages back it sounds like invites were going out.

If there is my acct is YNSAE, I'll be in-game most of tonight leveling my new build under FVNSLDE

invite sent

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

whypick1 posted:

Usually people refer to statsticks in the context of casting.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
People are getting to 100 too fast, better nerf map xp.
Clearspeed is too high, mobs get increased damage output.
The game is too fast, lets slow it down with clunky mechanics.

Oh btw, heres literally a double damage modifier for your offhand.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

whypick1 posted:

it was an example, for sunder you could say whirling blades (as in your offhand and therefore statstick being used for movement)

and I did qualify "if your mainhand is slower", just do that thing instead then

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Them stat sticks are even worse because the 'gain x elemental as chaos' gets applied for every time you convert from one element to another so technically you can get the bonus 3 times if you fully convert

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Them stat sticks are even worse because the 'gain x elemental as chaos' gets applied for every time you convert from one element to another so technically you can get the bonus 3 times if you fully convert

I thought this was a bug in PoB. Surely it only adds extra damage once? Gloomfang gives absolutely silly amounts of extra damage this way with chaining abilities if you convert.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

McFrugal posted:

I thought this was a bug in PoB. Surely it only adds extra damage once? Gloomfang gives absolutely silly amounts of extra damage this way with chaining abilities if you convert.
Nope each conversion step gets its own chaos added.
e.g.
100% increased cold dmg, 100% increased fire damage, 50% cold to fire, 20% elemental added as chaos results in
100 cold base
  -> 20 chaos base added, 100% increased = 40 chaos
  -> 50 cold base (conversion), 100% increased = 100 cold
  -> 50 fire base (conversion), 200% increased = 150 fire
    -> 10 chaos base added, 200% increased = 30 chaos
320 total damage, 70 of it chaos added (aka 28% more of 250)

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

https://pastebin.com/BxHvRr4R

Here is where I am with my indigon Poet's Pen character, I think I am pretty much finished with gearing it. It's a lot of fun and now I am going to use it to finish all my maps, and farm cash for a new even better build unless anyone has ideas for possible upgrades.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Buy a headhunter, they're real cheap this league

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
50ex is still well beyond probably pretty much everyone I think

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

Beo posted:

https://pastebin.com/BxHvRr4R

Here is where I am with my indigon Poet's Pen character, I think I am pretty much finished with gearing it. It's a lot of fun and now I am going to use it to finish all my maps, and farm cash for a new even better build unless anyone has ideas for possible upgrades.

Can you link your profile? On mobile. Id like to see what to shoot for. In process of gearing my hiero indigon pp char and loving the damage and near perm ic. My scion pp char was way squishier. I’m currently rolling w Vaal pact and curious if you’re too.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

lurksion posted:

50ex is still well beyond probably pretty much everyone I think

Indeed. Always makes me laugh at what some players consider 'cheap'. 50ex is well beyond the total I've gotten between both Abyss and this league. I haven't bothered using the currency cop thing to find my total net worth, but in Chaos and Ex I have less than 4ex at the current exchange rate. Last league I did much better, because I got lucky and found a Bisco's that sold for 16ex, so I had maybe 20ex last league thanks to that.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

lurksion posted:

50ex is still well beyond probably pretty much everyone who barely plays the game or goes to a new character before level 85

FTFY.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

are you kidding I get that much on twilight strand

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

On a laugh I had Currency Cop go through my Standard tabs. 10 minutes of sifting through Remove-Only tabs from every (SC) league ever, it tells me I'm just shy of 12k chaos...that wouldn't even get me 3 HHs in this league.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

if i sold all my rf stuff i would be at around 15-16ex at current rates which is by far the most ive ever had in a league and also depressingly far away from 50

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll never understand how people get so wealthy in this game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Elentor posted:

Playing nonstop and buying and selling stuff, I assume. There's also efficiencies in loot filters and chain running maps and the like, but for the most part, more gametime and actually selling poo poo and buying poo poo that's cheap to run or flip is the way to make money.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Oh, also, people who have large streaming audiences apparently get money thrown at them but that's uh probably not anyone in this thread.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I get the bulk of my currency from prophecies, running lots of maps for 6S items, killing endgame bosses, and trading high end uniques. I don't deal in rares except for pre-rolled Shaper/Elder stuff and jewels.

Prophecies are always worth the money in the long run. You get 4:1c most of the early league, and each coin averages out to like 1c return. The ok prophs add up, the super good ones (King's Path this league) sells for a fortune to the point where it alone pays for the whole batch + profit. You just have to be willing to put in the time.

Atziri is also good money early on. Mortal fragments sell (Hope and Ignorance) along with the sceptres.

Uber lab is very good money. You probably won't get a gg enchant but you never know! Doing full key runs nets quite a bit.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

silvergoose posted:

Playing nonstop and buying and selling stuff, I assume. There's also efficiencies in loot filters and chain running maps and the like, but for the most part, more gametime and actually selling poo poo and buying poo poo that's cheap to run or flip is the way to make money.

Looking at my spreadsheets I make an average of 30c per hour per league. I use rodent's uber strict filter. I have no idea how I could improve that.

Vasudus posted:

I get the bulk of my currency from prophecies, running lots of maps for 6S items, killing endgame bosses, and trading high end uniques. I don't deal in rares except for pre-rolled Shaper/Elder stuff and jewels.

Prophecies are always worth the money in the long run. You get 4:1c most of the early league, and each coin averages out to like 1c return. The ok prophs add up, the super good ones (King's Path this league) sells for a fortune to the point where it alone pays for the whole batch + profit. You just have to be willing to put in the time.

Atziri is also good money early on. Mortal fragments sell (Hope and Ignorance) along with the sceptres.

Uber lab is very good money. You probably won't get a gg enchant but you never know! Doing full key runs nets quite a bit.

The two highest sells I did was an alt-art storm cloud and a helm enchanted with, I believe Ancestral Warchief, for 15 ex. Other than that single big ticket, how do people make money on uber lab in general?

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

Elentor posted:

Looking at my spreadsheets I make an average of 30c per hour per league. I use rodent's uber strict filter. I have no idea how I could improve that.

The two highest sells I did was an alt-art storm cloud and a helm enchanted with, I believe Ancestral Warchief, for 15 ex. Other than that single big ticket, how do people make money on uber lab in general?

Play more hours

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Elentor posted:

For uber lab, if you do full key runs you will make money just off the contents of the chests. Also, I think I heard that its more consistent to go for boot enchants at least earlier in the league. You lose out on the chance to get a big helm enchant but its much more likely that you'll get something sellable on the boots.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
the bulk of my money I made crafting the abyss jewels I found

the bow and undead ones are easy money makers

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I find that I can group items into the following categories:

1-2c: get rid of them quick
5c: get rid of them soon
5-20c: sit on them for a bit
20-100c: sit on them until they move, occasionally drop the price if they won't
100c+: hot poo poo, I'll even track their prices day to day until I can unload them.

My philosophy is that getting rid of cheap poo poo asap, doesn't matter if you lose a third of the value in the process. For big ticket items, I'll often sit on them until I get a buyer, because the premium margin can dwarf any profit reductions incurred by offloading cheap items. Like when I managed to sell a life/WED/resist ring for ~4ex, which dwarfed the cheap sales (even if the latter adds up).

Some people dislike identifying rares, but I like doing so because it helps you learn how to price items.

I also made a ton of money selling white and yellow maps early in the league for alchs, which at one point were going for 1.6 to 1c.

Then there is the 820 grift. This league, I made a decent amount of money selling challenges. For instance, I was making 150c gross every time I ran a pale council, selling the kill the spark book for 30c/person. You'll occasionally see people paying an exalt to capture an uncommon legendary beast. And then there was the time I managed to sell a farric tiger alpha capture to someone for 10ex.

All in all, I was able to fund some pricey builds just from a diversity of tactics. I'm not even a particularly fast mapper, but I could get enough throughput that I could access some good gear.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I imagine most people getting rich are playing the economy, not the game. And they're not going to tell you about it.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
^^ Absolutely not true, as long as we're talking 'have a HH' levels of wealth

Random tip I learned this league, don't use a quad tab for sales, it's a pain to go back and figure out how old your items are for price reductions and if you try to use a position based sort scheme you might as well have used four premium tabs to begin with.

Also this league has been my most lucrative yet, just like every league before it that I've played. Time + experience, y'all

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I imagine most people getting rich are playing the economy, not the game. And they're not going to tell you about it.

People think that there are a bunch of "ONE WEIRD TRICK" methods to generate wealth. There really aren't. The ones that do exist are very few and far between.

The reality of Path of Exile is that it's a game gated by dice rolls. The way to get good dice rolls is by giving yourself more opportunities for dice rolls. The way you do that is by either playing more efficiently, or simply playing more.

There's really no secret.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Elentor posted:

When there are goons ITT saying they might stop picking up 6s item I can see how you would think this.

pokchu posted:

People think that there are a bunch of "ONE WEIRD TRICK" methods to generate wealth. There really aren't. The ones that do exist are very few and far between.

The reality of Path of Exile is that it's a game gated by dice rolls. The way to get good dice rolls is by giving yourself more opportunities for dice rolls. The way you do that is by either playing more efficiently, or simply playing more.

There's really no secret.

Pretty much this. I’m terrible at making currency in other games like mmos but this game I have no pr problem. Just spin that slot machine as often as you can.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 16, 2018

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

Holyshoot posted:

When there are goons ITT saying they might stop picking up 6s item I can see how you would think this.

Those people are idiots and more likely than not not actually wealthy.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Xenochrist posted:

Can you link your profile? On mobile. Id like to see what to shoot for. In process of gearing my hiero indigon pp char and loving the damage and near perm ic. My scion pp char was way squishier. I’m currently rolling w Vaal pact and curious if you’re too.

No, I'm not running Vaal Pact just tons of hp and mana recovery items.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Beorc/characters

This is the league I've made the most money by far in and most of it came from just playing the game a whole bunch and doing lots of labs. I decided to spend the rest of the league running labs on good days with this character and trying out other characters to see what would be a good league start for next league.

First up is ngamhu chieftan!

Beo fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 16, 2018

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I think the best gear-to-effectiveness build I played this league was skelespecter. You can do pretty much anything with cheapass gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I'm sure most players generate currency by just killing monsters, which is basically all I (a poor) do too. Not debating that in the slightest.

That said, every game with an economy has people working it, and hoo boy does this game have an opaque economy. People bought cars from botting D3 -- not the game, the auction house -- and I'm sure there's a non-zero amount of people doing something similar here too.

Heck, I had a real simple strategy this league of buying any div card for below X chaos, making the item, then selling it for anywhere between "more than the sum of the parts" and "50 c more than the sum of the parts." Then there was that guy that connected the dots on Ancient Orbs and i60 unique tower shields to make Lycos and was generating 100c as fast as he could buy the shields.

Find the right market niche any given league and it's $$$.