Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I bet that leads to the mother in laws loft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Isn't a bonus room just a spare room?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Is there some kind of optical illusion going on or are the diagonal steps also slanted?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yes but bonus sounds better. At my house, the building company called it a flex room.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
A lot of listings will call it a bonus room if it doesn’t have legal fire egress out of a window and/or if it doesn’t have a legit closet in it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Jerry Cotton posted:

Ymmv, but here spare room = guest room = legal bedroom. Bonus or flex room could be an illegal bedroom ("office," "sewing room"), but it could also be a room on the first floor without a defined purpose.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Listings around here call them "dens."

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

'Bonus room' is just a way to say 'there is an additional space but it doesn't meet spec for anything in particular, so we're going to gloss that over and act like you're getting it as some sort of extra and maybe you won't think about the fact you are definitely paying for it anyway'.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
When I was apartment hunting last year, one of the apartments I liked had a "bonus room." It didn't have a door, but it had a window and a small closet. It would have made a good office/hobby/place for house guests to sleep, but I couldn't quite swing it at the time.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

When I was apartment hunting last year, one of the apartments I liked had a "bonus room." It didn't have a door, but it had a window and a small closet. It would have made a good office/hobby/place for house guests to sleep, but I couldn't quite swing it at the time.

It took me a bit to figure out you meant "there was no way to stop people from getting in", not "there was no way to get in aside from climbing in through the window".

I am not awake yet, apparently.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

When I was apartment hunting last year, one of the apartments I liked had a "bonus room." It didn't have a door

Not very handy.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

I have a bonus room but every time I want to go in I have to carry the TNT barrel up from the basement and it's a hassle to get it past the pit.

You think you have it bad, mine only opens during a blood moon.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Drake_263 posted:

You think you have it bad, mine only opens during a blood moon.
Picturing you getting up to make a sandwich only to scream "no no no!" as the clock starts chiming and your phone charger gets sealed away for 4-6 months.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

TheLastManStanding posted:

Staggered see-through cantilevered steps and no handrail with the added bonus of being able to miss the floor and fall down a second flight of stairs.

Oh, it's multicolored! Because of course it is. This same staircase was posted earlier, but with blue lighting instead of red. Red is more appropriate given the inevitable blood loss.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I see those pointy corners on the stairs and imagine all the jabs in the ribs to the poor souls who are just walking by

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Those clear plexi chairs are also extremely uncomfortable.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

"Great Room" just as bad as "Bonus Room."

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

FogHelmut posted:

"Great Room" just as bad as "Bonus Room."

It's sort of a dumb name, but I need some kind of shorthand instead of saying "my open floorplan kitchen/dining/living room with no walls between them"

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Staggered see-through cantilevered steps and no handrail with the added bonus of being able to miss the floor and fall down a second flight of stairs.

Please tell me that's a holdover from the 1980s and someone didn't install something that ugly and unsafe.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

What are those even anchored in? I want to know how badly those flex when you step on them, or more likely fall down the stairs every morning.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Buff Skeleton posted:

Oh, it's multicolored! Because of course it is. This same staircase was posted earlier, but with blue lighting instead of red. Red is more appropriate given the inevitable blood loss.

Last time somebody said it was CGI and not something that was actually built. Like, a bad architecture project or something. I really hope that's true.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TVs Ian posted:

Last time somebody said it was CGI and not something that was actually built. Like, a bad architecture project or something. I really hope that's true.
Given there seems to be mould on the differently-murderous stairs, that's some serious attention to detail.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

TVs Ian posted:

I don't think it is

Here's the company that makes it

http://trescalini.fr/escaliers-droits/aero/

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Do you have to sign a waiver so your surviving family doesn't sue the mfg. of the stairs?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, unfortunately it is 100% real and is apparently made by a company that specializes on 'stairs that will probably kill you' for some reason. I can only assume this is the result of directing some sort of of psychopath into architectural design?

This one is better because it technically has a railing so you aren't just going to slide right off it, but I still think making your entire stairwell from glass is a terrible idea:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I don't think it is

Oh jesus it is slanty. That lowest step is perfectly sloped to make your foot slide off to the left and get wedged in the crack.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

DIY & Hobbies › Crappy Construction Tales: Designed like an avant-garde deathtrap

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Splicer posted:

Oh jesus it is slanty. That lowest step is perfectly sloped to make your foot slide off to the left and get wedged in the crack.

They're horizontal, they just protrude from the wall at an angle. Like, imagine if it was a real stairwell, the individual stairs would be wedge-shaped.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

I hate everything about this company.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Are those Groverstairs?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

I kinda like these two, really they are only terrible because there is no landing but otherwise I think the idea of a glass staircase would look kinda cool at the mall food court.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I don't think it is

I just noticed the final step at the top is just a triangle, hope you don't try and use your left foot! :rip:

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
DIY & Hobbies › Crappy Construction Tales: Do you have code compliant stairs in your house?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CommonShore posted:

Are those Groverstairs?

Not insulated. 2/10

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Crotch Fruit posted:

I kinda like these two, really they are only terrible because there is no landing but otherwise I think the idea of a glass staircase would look kinda cool at the mall food court.

The second one at least has something resembling a real railing and not something likely to scissor you in half if you fall on it, but can you imagine trying to go up or down those stairs if you have wet shoes or something?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Crotch Fruit posted:

Totally, just think of all the food court goons, sitting there, eating cheetos drinking mountain dew, fighting over the table under the clear glass stairs so they can just happen to look up as a girl with a skirt comes down.....

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

this Quake map is boring

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Apparently there's a market for overpriced lovely looking danger stairs. Wish I had gotten in on the ground floor for that one. Probably still could if I just took a trip up one of their projects.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

couldcareless posted:

Apparently there's a market for overpriced lovely looking danger stairs. Wish I had gotten in on the ground floor for that one. Probably still could if I just took a trip up one of their projects.

You can’t get in on the ground floor, but you can get in on the mezzanine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

canyoneer posted:

It's sort of a dumb name, but I need some kind of shorthand instead of saying "my open floorplan kitchen/dining/living room with no walls between them"

Around here they list it as LDK, so a plain 3 bedroom house is 3LDK, 2 bedroom with a non-code bonus room is 2SLDK ("special room"), a studio is a 1K. On floorplans an eat-in kitchen is a DK and the L could be across the house or not exist at all. (I didn't know what a great room is, I thought it was a sitting room for guests with a vaulted ceilings and a piano and all the breakable stuff that kids weren't allowed to play with.)

peanut fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 16, 2018