Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS

sweet geek swag posted:

So literally the one thing Frank hated is the one thing his son kept.

Awfully suspicious innit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sweet geek swag posted:

So literally the one thing Frank hated is the one thing his son kept.

Makes those “notes” they kept talking about kind of suspect, eh?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i bet the notes were a singular unfinished draft of Dune 7 and they likely realized they did not have the ability to pick up and re-write it as intended.

brian herbert could have made me hate him a lot less if he had just sold whatever frank had written for dune 7 instead of pretending like him and KJA's output represents some kind of final intention of his dead dad instead of hack sci-fi tacked onto a series of books that should be above adapted fanfiction

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Really it always seemed like such a gently caress you to the fanbase that they let a guy who made a career of star wars novellas write the extended universe. Kevin Anderson has no shame. My friends and I were trashing him in sixth grade. That's how awful he is, he couldn't make a bunch of 11-12 year olds who basically loved anything scifi/fantasy enjoy scifi/fantasy.

But hey, it seems like everyone's on the same page these days that the original works were good and that his son is a terrible hack with hack friends.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
He's also (anecdotally) a total dickhead.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Chas McGill posted:

He's also (anecdotally) a total dickhead.

Zero talent, social lamprey, rich off other people's ideas...yeah, I can believe it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I dunno what you guys are talking about, Darksaber was like a high point of Star Wars EU poo poo

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've had more than one person who knew I loved DUNE buy me hardcover KJA dune books as gifts. I always felt terrible because it really was a thoughtful gift but ehhhhhh

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
For extra special irony KJA should be burned atop a pyre of his own writings. Leto executed nine historians for printing bullshit. “The Sisters report that the nine were rendered unconscious, then burned on pyres of their own published works.“

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
at least the dune expanded universe isn't as big as the star wars one

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Dyna Soar posted:

at least the dune expanded universe isn't as big as the star wars one

Actually doesn’t Dune span several galaxies? Star Wars is just confined to their single lovely one.

Also did I read somewhere that aliens from other Star Wars galaxies didn’t have the Force?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Actually doesn’t Dune span several galaxies? Star Wars is just confined to their single lovely one.

Also did I read somewhere that aliens from other Star Wars galaxies didn’t have the Force?

sorry if my post was a little obscure, i meant in terms of published works, not size of the fictional world

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Murray Mantoinette posted:

There was a specific anti-technology warrior alien race from outside the galaxy that was invisible to the Force, and that entire storyline was the beginning of the end for the old EU. They kill Chewbacca in the first book for no reason.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

phasmid posted:

Zero talent, social lamprey, rich off other people's ideas...yeah, I can believe it.
I'm trying to remember the bad star wars books I read back in 6th grade? Did KJA write a starwars book that featured a 'spice' drug that came from giant cave spiders?

E: God Damnit... It was the book with that stupid 'mary sue' spaceship, the sun crusher.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 16, 2018

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

sebmojo posted:

huh, didn't know that

I think it was in the same area where they're speaking in a "forgotten language" that's just French.

Midget Fist posted:

Every one of these posts make me so so glad I never read beyond the Frank Herbert 6.

Calling this as a band name.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

CopperHound posted:

I'm trying to remember the bad star wars books I read back in 6th grade? Did KJA write a starwars book that featured a 'spice' drug that came from giant cave spiders?

E: God Damnit... It was the book with that stupid 'mary sue' spaceship, the sun crusher.

IIRC "the spice mines of Kessel" was a thing way before that terrible book. At the very least it's been mentioned a bunch since the "made the Kessel run in X parsecs" line from ANH.

But it's EU so who even knows anymore :psyduck:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Threepio has a line early in ANH about the spice mines.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Sun Crusher thing was bad but a reminder that KJA's book Darksaber was literally "Jabba the Hutt's cousin steals the death star plans and builds another one but it fails and is blown up by asteroids the end"

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Star Wars just had it as a throwaway, and Lucas probably got the line "spice mines" from Dune.

Problem was the EU (of course) that said "it's a drug, just like in Dune."

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I also want to say that although Lucas is a technical genius, ppl not understanding what a ripoff SW is forget that in the first screenplay, the Jedi get their powers, reflexes and limited prescience from ingesting a precious spice.

e. ^^ no, literally the first scene in ANH was originally Vader trying to recapture a shipment of spice, not the plans for the Death Star. It wasn't a throwaway line, but a major plot device.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
star wars is a kiddified rip off of a myriad of awesome older scifi, namely dune and valerian. star wars, apart from empire strikes back, is actually pretty drat underwhelming apart from the art direction which is great throughout the first trilogy. also mostly stolen.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Valerian and Laureline were wonderful comics. It's a shame the recent reboots have been so poorly done. Ah well.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

phasmid posted:

Valerian and Laureline were wonderful comics. It's a shame the recent reboots have been so poorly done. Ah well.

agreed, i read through all of them many times when i was a kid. judge dredd, valerian, and especially enki bilal was my introduction into science fiction. didn't take many years after that when i was reading classic scifi.

i actually liked the new valerian movie fine, it was a fun scifi romp without much depth, but the visuals were stunning and i think it carried all the way through. too bad the script wasn't that good, but as far as big budget scifi goes it was fine. much better than the new star wars movies.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dyna Soar posted:

i actually liked the new valerian movie fine, it was a fun scifi romp without much depth, but the visuals were stunning and i think it carried all the way through. too bad the script wasn't that good, but as far as big budget scifi goes it was fine. much better than the new star wars movies.

It was "fine" but neither of the principle pair was believable in their role imo. I'll admit I've never read the source material

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

The Bloop posted:

It was "fine" but neither of the principle pair was believable in their role imo. I'll admit I've never read the source material

It's very good. I'd recommend looking it up.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

The Bloop posted:

apart from the name and some superficial similarities it had more or less nothing to do with the source material.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dyna Soar posted:

star wars is a kiddified rip off of a myriad of awesome older scifi, namely dune and valerian. star wars, apart from empire strikes back, is actually pretty drat underwhelming apart from the art direction which is great throughout the first trilogy. also mostly stolen.

Be fair, it also took a lot from samurai movies like The Hidden Fortress and WWII fighter aces. The real strength of Star Wars is that it combines all these disparate genres into one cohesive package.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah star wars borrowing from all kinds of scifi is fine. Its jarring how blatant some of it is but star wars is star wars dune is dune and that comic is itself

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 16, 2018

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I mean, THX was a good movie imo and that was "borrowing" from 1984 and other dystopian stuff. But Star Wars fans pretend that it was mostly an homage to Flash Gordon and other light fare which is deliberately kinda clouding the fact that it "borrowed" pretty heavily from Herbert. He and Lynch agreed on this when they were making the movie of Dune.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
To all you Dune nerds, you should really check this out. It’s a fantastic documentary on why Dune almost was what we know Star Wars as today. Worth every second. I read the first 10 pages and didn’t see anyone mention it.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
one thing i liked about the valerian movie was how both of the protagonists were kind of assholes. you don't see much of that anymore. like, han solo was like that originally. and corben dallas of the fifth element, which is pretty much my favourite fun scifi romp.

too bad they weren't really likeable or relatable.

Windows 98 posted:

To all you Dune nerds, you should really check this out. It’s a fantastic documentary on why Dune almost was what we know Star Wars as today. Worth every second. I read the first 10 pages and didn’t see anyone mention it.

for sure! i watched this last summer. also read incal and metabarons, as they were pretty much made from the storyboards of jodorowskys dune.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Still annoyed we didn't get Dali as the emperor

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Malcolm XML posted:

Still annoyed we didn't get Dali as the emperor

sure, but to be fair jodorowskys vision had nothing to do with the source material, so it would have been dune in name only.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Dyna Soar posted:

sure, but to be fair jodorowskys vision had nothing to do with the source material, so it would have been dune in name only.

It would’ve been one hell of a film though.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
It's kind of a sad movie because it becomes clear that the project was a drat mess from the start and the director is a crazy man. Holy Mountain was pretty good, though.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

He is still cranking out films. His recent release, Endless Poetry, is some of his finest work.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm glad jodorowskis dune does not exist to be honest. It was a neat little urban legend when i was young and a cool documentary but dune 84 barely works and that level of special effects didnt exist at the time and star wars was years out

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It was a fun documentary and I liked how they blew millions of dollars worth of studio money making what turned into a big art book (someone should publish that) but yeah. Jodorowski wanted his Dune to be a big acid trip, which in retrospect would be cool but it'd also be like his other movies that only cinephiles watch.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dyna Soar posted:

Frank Herbert liked Jodorowsky's script IIRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Dyna Soar posted: