Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Tunicate posted:

it's two factor authentication, you need to be on a federation ship with the right hardware in addition to having the password

Nope. Kirk and Spock say right in that scene: "Each ship has its own combination code." "To prevent an enemy from doing what we're attempting: from using our console to order Reliant to lower her shields."

Without the secret code, anyone could just take remote control of a Federation starship! This is some Windows ME-level security.

Also, at the end of the film, when Khan activates the Genesis device, why don't they just blow the hell out of Khan's ship and destroy it before it goes off? It's not like blowing it up will set it off, because they've just spent the previous 15 minutes of screen time trying to blow up the ship it's on. And okay, Khan hadn't yet activated it at that point, but it clearly has to build up to some level of energy before it goes nova on them, so why not just blow it up instead of trying to get away?

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 03:44 on Apr 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Also late on superhero adaptations not using their costumes on screen chat: I don't know how true this is, but there is a story about how when when they made the 1990 version of The Flash TV show, in the early meetings the TV executives asked the DC people if there was any chance that they could lose the red costume. The DC execs looked at each other, and left the room without a word. The TV people got them back in and let them have the costume, but the point is TV execs are idiots who don't know or care about the iconography of the property they have just bought.

(That also plays into the Disney live action movie chat I am also late on a little.)

Yeah! I didn't see the live action Beauty and the Beast because it was like three hours long or something, but this pissed me right the hell off

The gently caress is this prom dress-rear end bullshit

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Depressio111117 posted:

Yeah! I didn't see the live action Beauty and the Beast because it was like three hours long or something, but this pissed me right the hell off

The gently caress is this prom dress-rear end bullshit

That's 1: not the final dress and 2: I liked the movie so gently caress you.

(not really gently caress you but I did like the movie)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Nope. Kirk and Spock say right in that scene: "Each ship has its own combination code." "To prevent an enemy from doing what we're attempting: from using our console to order Reliant to lower her shields."

Without the secret code, anyone could just take remote control of a Federation starship! This is some Windows ME-level security.

Anyone with one of those federation starship command consoles can do it, yeah.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A little late on Hook chat, but I really hate Robin Williams performance in it. It is the worst of both worlds in his blandness and coked up infantilism. The lost boys stuff is pretty cool though.

Also late on superhero adaptations not using their costumes on screen chat: I don't know how true this is, but there is a story about how when when they made the 1990 version of The Flash TV show, in the early meetings the TV executives asked the DC people if there was any chance that they could lose the red costume. The DC execs looked at each other, and left the room without a word. The TV people got them back in and let them have the costume, but the point is TV execs are idiots who don't know or care about the iconography of the property they have just bought.

(That also plays into the Disney live action movie chat I am also late on a little.)

My favorite story about Neil Gaiman is that during one of my talks to adapt his works he was asked if the main characters of Anansi Boys, a book about the sons of African god Anansi, could be white. He passed because he doesn't need money that bad.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Original punisher movie didn't have the costume but it did have butt naked dolph lundgren so I figure that's a net gain

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

That's 1: not the final dress and

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Gnome de plume posted:

Original punisher movie didn't have the costume but it did have butt naked dolph lundgren so I figure that's a net gain

He also ran around like a hound.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Tunicate posted:

Anyone with one of those federation starship command consoles can do it, yeah.

Yeah, true. There's probably an advanced level of encryption beyond the number code and the whole flipping switches thing is just "prove you're not a robot" captcha technology. Kahn didn't know this being a man from the 21st century who had spent the last bunch of years on Ceti Alpha V batting brain slugs away from his ears.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Len posted:

My favorite story about Neil Gaiman is that during one of my talks to adapt his works he was asked if the main characters of Anansi Boys, a book about the sons of African god Anansi, could be white. He passed because he doesn't need money that bad.
I'm a fan of the time he threatened to throw himself under a bus over the American Gods pilot. :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Davros1 posted:

They felt it was "too comic book-y". Also, the film makers didn't want to use it in the Thomas Jane version, which is why they switched from the solid skull in the teaser trailer to the faded one in the movie. The film makers of Punisher: War Zone didn't want to use it either, which is why it's even more faded. And I'm pretty sure the Netflix series didn't want to use it either.

Well that's weird, if it turns out to be true, since they changed their mind so hard they engineered a bizarre series of murders that lead to it getting made on his shirt in blood in DareDevil. And when they eventually did make the Punisher series they happily put that on his body armor when it was relevant.

Strudel Man posted:

I don't know why you're saying "back then."

https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/group/msm/index.html

It was seen as Divine Punishment for the sin of queerdom and impossible to be contracted by Good and Pure hetro men and women.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Pilchenstein posted:

I'm a fan of the time he threatened to throw himself under a bus over the American Gods pilot. :v:

That is some of the flimsiest logic I've ever seen.
:downswords::"We want her to give him a blowjob!"
:nono::"But he's mourning his dead wife"
:downswords::"But he's just out of prison, right? Who wouldn't want a blowjob after being in prison?"

Speaks volumes about the people behind the show and their views on relationships. Is the show any good?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I would have loved to see a Bryan Fuller written blowjob scene

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Randalor posted:

Is the show any good?
Was easily one of my favourite shows last year.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
People talking about their irritating moments in Annihilation.

Now Playing: Kyle & Jodie Talk Annihilation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCqCApaJlIE

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

RareAcumen posted:

Well that's weird, if it turns out to be true, since they changed their mind so hard they engineered a bizarre series of murders that lead to it getting made on his shirt in blood in DareDevil. And when they eventually did make the Punisher series they happily put that on his body armor when it was relevant.

It was seen as Divine Punishment for the sin of queerdom and impossible to be contracted by Good and Pure hetro men and women.

It's not the skull they objected to, it's the idea of this guy running the city with a big white skull on his chest.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Davros1 posted:

It's not the skull they objected to, it's the idea of this guy running the city with a big white skull on his chest.

Just have him leave the skull symbol as a calling card. That way you include it without having him run around with a big SHOOT HERE symbol at his centre of mass.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Slime posted:

Just have him leave the skull symbol as a calling card. That way you include it without having him run around with a big SHOOT HERE symbol at his centre of mass.

But what would Frank's Persona be?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

The lost boys stuff is pretty cool though.

I like that you can sort of tell from what time period each of the Lost Boys are from based on their outfits.

Most seem to be from roughly when the original book was written (Victorian England?) but you can tell that a few are from other periods. There's a sassy, 1940's-esque Brooklyn-accent kid always wearing a sportcoat, 1 or 2 that look to be from maybe 1920's or 1930's, and Rufio looks to be from late 70's or maybe early 80's.

Sort of fits the idea that The Lost Boys are literally boys who got lost when running away from home and were (essentially) kidnapped by Peter, and then later Tinkerbell.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 20:31 on Apr 16, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Slime posted:

And now we're back to the Lundgren film, where he'd leave a knife with a skull on it (usually in someone's body)

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
Rufio should've used his firebending imo.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Slime posted:

Of all the places Frank could be shot, I think on the centre of his body armour is probably the place he would choose. I mean, in pretty much every modern version of the punisher that skull is painted over at the very least a bullet proof vest. And yes, in real life there are rounds that can penetrate any personal body armour, and yes in real life being shot in the bullet proof vest still sucks a whole bunch (compared to not getting shot at all), but in movie logic being shot in the vest at worst knocks the wind out of you, so movie logic punisher painting a target in the middle of the vest makes sense.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SiKboy posted:

Of all the places Frank could be shot, I think on the centre of his body armour is probably the place he would choose. I mean, in pretty much every modern version of the punisher that skull is painted over at the very least a bullet proof vest. And yes, in real life there are rounds that can penetrate any personal body armour, and yes in real life being shot in the bullet proof vest still sucks a whole bunch (compared to not getting shot at all), but in movie logic being shot in the vest at worst knocks the wind out of you, so movie logic punisher painting a target in the middle of the vest makes sense.

Wasnt that also the logic behind the batlogo on batmans chest at one point?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Len posted:

I'm pretty sure it is, yeah, but honestly I cant remember if thats from a batman comic, movie, cartoon or video game.... I mean, we all know the real reason is branding, but I do appreciate the minor nod to making it have some sort of logic.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

SiKboy posted:

I'm pretty sure it is, yeah, but honestly I cant remember if thats from a batman comic, movie, cartoon or video game.... I mean, we all know the real reason is branding, but I do appreciate the minor nod to making it have some sort of logic.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Len posted:

Same reason he sends Robin out in a bright yellow cape.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The logo to draw fire idea puts a lot of faith in the accuracy and precision of random criminals.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
There's also a big magnet under the logo, that attracts the bullets.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Good ol highly magnetic comic lead bullets.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Good ol highly magnetic comic lead bullets.

If magneto can do it, sure.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Don't need to worry about Magneto - just threaten him with a wooden gun.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
Unless it's one of the Arkham games where Bruce is literally Bat Ironman, you just have to accept Luck is Batman's superpower and the bullets just go the other way. Same for most street-level capes.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Watching season 4 of Bosch. SWAT team busts down the door to a suspect's house, sweep it in a few seconds and announce "Clear!" Lead detectives walk into the house, right past the closet door the entire SWAT team walked right past without checking.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SiKboy posted:

Yeah, there was also a small aside about that being the case a ways into the Arkham Knight game.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Phanatic posted:

Watching season 4 of Bosch. SWAT team busts down the door to a suspect's house, sweep it in a few seconds and announce "Clear!" Lead detectives walk into the house, right past the closet door the entire SWAT team walked right past without checking.

Blindspot routinely has the assistant director of the FBI leading SWAT-type missions for some reason. Well, he's the former assistant director now, but he did it the whole time. The assistant director now follows the former assistant directors lead in SWAT-type missions, but they are both still there in vests, toting big ol' rifles.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Phanatic posted:

Re Bosch, it’s rationally irritating that a show featuring a bunch of actors I like has such poo poo tier writing.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I was a little annoyed at A Quiet Place because they never really say where the monsters came from.

Still a great movie, but I'd have appreciated a bit more info.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

I was a little annoyed at A Quiet Place because they never really say where the monsters came from.

They came from space.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://twitter.com/DanRyckert/status/985658730372128769

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

The lack of pointless exposition is a fantastic pro and I'm glad they did it.