Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
The deepstrike first turn only in deployment does do interesting things for how you might want to bubble wrap your units, less of a requirement to fill your back field with rippers or gaunts. I do kinda feel it puts crisis suits even further out to dry as deepstrike shenanigans is basically the only reason you would take them, and being forced to wait another turn with them puts further emphasis on units without that dependency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TTerrible posted:

Death to soup. I'm glad of it.

If Guard got what Solar Aux got (a tank commander that wouldn't look at anything other than a GW-sold Russ and noooope on out of there, because why would a commander drive a Shadowsword or a LR Annihilator, ammirite?) I'd agree with you.

Having Malcadors led by a dude in a Leman Russ is embarrassing for all concerned and using Engiseers as HQs at least allowed a fluffy workaround.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 16, 2018

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah, but Narrative and Open play don't count.

Keeping it matched play only very neatly removes the ability for people to argue that the mixed detachments are fluffy, though. It works out nicely.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

ijyt posted:

Just don't play with FAQs lol, they're not official or enforceable anyway. If it's not printed in the rulebook then it's not a rule you need to play by, it's basically a houserule.

:shrug:

tournament's absolutely will use this faq.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Master Twig posted:

tournament's absolutely will use this faq.

Tournaments are the wrong way to play the game though.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Someone took some good stream notes, including the parts I missed:

quote:

+1 to warp charge requirement for consecutive Smites (not -1 roll).
Grey Knights and Thousands Sons exempt from this rule. Matched Play only.
You can only target a Character model if it is the closest model.
Characters don't block you from shooting other characters. Matched Play only.
Command points increased for Battalions (3 > 5) and Brigades (9 > 12).
Ignoring wound saves changed to just a single FNP save. No more stacking. Intention was to speed up the game.

Some point changes: Robot Girlyman increased. Dark Reapers increased. Flying Hive Tyrant increased.

Guide line suggestions for events updated: Rule of Three - use the same data sheet 3 times - troops and transports exempt.

BETA RULES:Soup adjustments: If you have a battle forged army, you can no longer use Chaos/Imperium/Tyranid or Aeldari keywords in the same detachment.

Exceptions for various units, SoS/Legionaries(?might have been Inquisitors?)/Assassins.

Can take these units without needing a HQ choice in a Vanguard detachment.

Alpha strike adjustments: Fully half your army needs to be deployed on the battlefield, points/power level wise.

If you deepstrike on the first turn, it can only land in your deployment zone.

Exceptions include Genestealer cults.

FAQ for recent codexes included.

Forgeworld units adjusted.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

I hate that it happened to Tyranids. Can't mix and match Hive Fleets anymore, so the Kraken + Kronos combo is dead.

I'm glad GW is once again focusing on the fluffy side of battles. Hive Fleets, (or more specifically their various splinters) would kill each other if they met, and the superior predator would emerge with all of the opponent's biomass.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Mango Polo posted:

I'm glad GW is once again focusing on the fluffy side of battles. Hive Fleets, (or more specifically their various splinters) would kill each other if they met, and the superior predator would emerge with all of the opponent's biomass.

Maybe that's exactly what happened and the winning Hive Fleet started using Genestealers that could feigned retreat better and Hive Guard which could shoot better.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

I guess my dream of [Codex AdMech HQ] Engiseers as Guard HQs without losing doctrine has died. :(

Enginseers have the Astra Militarium keyword, so they still work, right?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I have zero qualms with the changes and look forward to more CP

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

EvilBeard posted:

Enginseers have the Astra Militarium keyword, so they still work, right?

The HQ version in the AdMech book don't so the idea was to ally them in as <IMPERIUM>.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
I'm really hoping the bonus CP to battalions and brigades only applies to battle forged armies composed of a single faction. Otherwise it makes the soup problem even worse.

Edit: welp I guess not lol. Guard soup lives on unfortunately.

Mr. Funktastic fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 16, 2018

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Zuul the Cat posted:

Someone took some good stream notes, including the parts I missed:

quote:

Ignoring wound saves changed to just a single FNP save. No more stacking. Intention was to speed up the game.

Whoa does this mean no more multiple rolls for Disgustingly Resilient? As in taking a lascannon hit will be 1 die roll total instead of 1 for each point of d6 damage?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Uroboros posted:

I might of spoken to hastily. I'm not super sold on them, primarily because their chances of bringing a guy back is only 50/50 meaning 2-3 times per game in the best of situations. They are super ideal for Centurions, because Centurions cost a shitload. Unfortunately, Centurions are to expensive and you shouldn't take them.

Corrode is pretty spot on that the next best thing would be Plasma Inceptors, or even a character, so maybe give one a shot.

The Redemptor is cool, but either drop it, or pretend it is a Contemptor. Razorbacks are definitely not worth their squeeze anymore. I would assume another group of Aggressors and an Ancient would be more in line with Crimson Fists tactics.

The two dreads are the only models I'm missing, been subbing my contemptor and vendread in. The redemptor looks so cool but I have been thinking it might not be worth it.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

IT LIVES

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fake James posted:

Whoa does this mean no more multiple rolls for Disgustingly Resilient? As in taking a lascannon hit will be 1 die roll total instead of 1 for each point of d6 damage?

I'm not sure. This part confused me, they didn't explain it very well. They just said "streamlining".

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Fake James posted:

I doubt it. There are a couple ways to get multiple fnps, so lose 2 wounds, 5+ to ignore them, then a 6+ or whatever to ignore anything the previous fnp didn't ignore.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
FAQ is up you nerds

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007
You can still mix hive fleets, they just have to be their own detachments.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Wait, some models get more than one FNP save?

quote:

Related Errata

Warhammer 40,000 rulebook Page 181 – Ignoring Wounds

Add the following as a boxout on this page:

‘Ignoring Wounds
Some units have abilities that allow them to ignore the damage suffered each time it loses a wound (e.g. Disgustingly
Resilient, The Flesh is Weak and Tenacious Survivor). If a model has more than one such ability, you can only use
one of those abilities each time the model loses a wound.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hey, Comissars aren't completely useless anymore! Still not particularly good, but making the execution optional is a big deal.

quote:

Summary Execution:
The first time an Astra Militarum unit fails a Morale test during the Morale phase whilst it is within 6" of any friendly
Commissars you can execute a model. If you do, one model of your choice in that unit is slain and the Morale test is re-rolled (do not include this slain model when re-rolling the Morale test)

They're fixing lots of stuff for Guard, actually.

quote:

Page 138
– Kurov’s Aquila
Change the second sentence of rules text to read:
‘Whilst the bearer is on the battlefield, roll a D6 each
time your opponent uses a Stratagem.’
Page 139
– Relic of Lost Cadia
Change the second sentence to read:
‘Once per battle, the bearer can unveil this relic at the
start of any turn.

Page 140
– Grand Strategist
Change the second and third sentences of rules text
to read:
‘In addition, if your army is Battle-forged and this
Warlord is on the battlefield, roll a D6 for each
Command Point you spend to use a Stratagem; on a 5+
that Command Point is immediately refunded.’

And Space Marines get this gem which could actually be pretty neat:

quote:

Q: How do the Flakk Missile and Hellfire Shells Stratagems
interact with an Armorium Cherub? Are you able to ‘reload’ the
weapon and fire again with the benefit of the Stratagem?
A: Yes

Pendent fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 16, 2018

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Zuul the Cat posted:

Custodes can do it, FNP to ignore all wounds and an additional on for the psychic phase.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Zuul the Cat posted:

Yeah, there was a couple of ways you could get first one 6+ to ignore, then another 6+ (like with a warlord trait and a relic or some such). It was pretty rare, but also pretty stupid, so good on them.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pendent posted:

Hey, Comissars aren't completely useless anymore! Still not particularly good, but making the execution optional is a big deal.

I mean, for half the original cost (Commissars) or a little over half (Lords), yeah?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I have little reservations about this FAQ as well, about the only thing that I think is worth looking at is extending the Smite rule exception to Horrors (and absolutely no other Chaos Daemons units) simply due to them only casting with a single d6 already.

Other than that though I'm actually pretty positive on the detachment changes especially since it neatly sidesteps the issues I had with other potential fixes, such as interfering with mixed Chaos Daemon lists or mono god CSM/Daemon mixes. It certainly makes my Death Guard and Nurgle Daemons happy campers since they get to soup it up regardless.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
This is really interesting given that all of the CP refunding stuff seems to be getting erratad to require the bearer be on the field.

quote:

Q: If the Warlord of my Battle-forged army is an Autarch, can
I use the Path of Command ability to refund Command Points
when I spend them on Stratagems used during deployment (for
example, Cloudstrike, Webway Strike, etc.)?
A: Yes, but only if your Autarch Warlord is on the
battlefield when the Stratagem is used.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Reading through it again:

quote:

Warhammer 40,000 rulebook Page 181 – Ignoring Wounds
Add the following as a boxout on this page:
‘Ignoring Wounds
Some units have abilities that allow them to ignore the damage suffered each time it loses a wound (e.g. Disgustingly
Resilient, The Flesh is Weak and Tenacious Survivor). If a model has more than one such ability, you can only use
one of those abilities each time the model loses a wound.’

Does this mean that Rotten Constitution (reduce all damage inflicted by 1 to a minimum of 1) can't be used with Disgustingly Resilient?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Schadenboner posted:

If Guard got what Solar Aux got (a tank commander that wouldn't look at anything other than a GW-sold Russ and noooope on out of there, because why would a commander drive a Shadowsword or a LR Annihilator, ammirite?) I'd agree with you.

Having Malcadors led by a dude in a Leman Russ is embarrassing for all concerned and using Engiseers as HQs at least allowed a fluffy workaround.

Not 100% sure what you are getting at here. Are you saying that a Russ commanding superheavies doesn't make sense, I'm going to have to disagree. Command tanks are command tanks, they dont even need a gun. Hell, quite a few command tanks in WWII had fake guns because the "turret" was full of communications and command equipment, but they didnt want it to be singled out as the command vehicle.

On that note, FW needs to bring back the Salamander command vehicle.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Whelp, this completely fucks me over.

No exceptions for Inquisitors and the exception for assassins kinda blows if you weren't planning on taking 3

e: I can't even include an assassin in a vanguard with an Inquisitor anymore because the exception doesn't even work this way, gently caress this sucks.

Giant Isopod fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 16, 2018

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

I wonder if the 3 per army limit will promote even more souping. It doesn't really do anything to prevent shield captain supreme commands or whatever but it means that if you want two guard battalions you have to dip outside of company commanders.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

AnEdgelord posted:

Does this mean that Rotten Constitution (reduce all damage inflicted by 1 to a minimum of 1) can't be used with Disgustingly Resilient?

Reduce is not the same as ignore.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Well if you were going to include a battalion of guard before the changes you are gaining an extra 2 cp now :v:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I decided to check the Blood Angels subforum over on Bolter and Chainsword to see what the reaction was. Literally the first post I see is how we're completely ruined competitively. God forbid GW try to tone down the insane alpha strike of 8th edition even a hair.

Never change hams, never change.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Giant Isopod posted:

No exceptions for Inquisitors and the exception for assassins kinda blows if you weren't planning on taking 3

e: I can't even include an assassin in a vanguard with an Inquisitor anymore because the exception doesn't even work this way, gently caress this sucks.

What do you mean? I don't see anything preventing you from taking an Inquisitor and Assassins in a Vanguard detachment.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What do you mean? I don't see anything preventing you from taking an Inquisitor and Assassins in a Vanguard detachment.

They don't share a keyword other than "Imperium" ? The assassin exception appears to only allow you to take a vanguard with no HQ to get around the restriction?

Unless I am reading it wrong, I would love to be wrong.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

AnEdgelord posted:

I don't see why it would. It seems pretty specific to 'ignoring wounds' (and gives specific FNP mechanic examples), and doesn't mention 'reducing' the number of wounds taken. Also mentions: 'only use one of those abilities each time the model loses a wound'. With rotten constitution you the reducing is before the model takes the wounds (where ignoring is after). Quantum shielding actually uses 'ignored' though, though that's 'damage taken', not wounds.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Giant Isopod posted:

It would really unfuck alot of things if they piled in imperial agents into a single keyword in my opinion.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
These changes seem sane and good to me so far. Good effort GW-chan.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
So that 0-3 non-troops in a battalion detachment, is that a rule now? I'm looking at my list and I have 4 troops and 5 elites. Not saying it's a good list, but it's fun. And I'm also not saying I'll follow this rule, but I'm just not sure what suggestion means in this whole FAQ context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

jadebullet posted:

Not 100% sure what you are getting at here. Are you saying that a Russ commanding superheavies doesn't make sense, I'm going to have to disagree. Command tanks are command tanks, they dont even need a gun. Hell, quite a few command tanks in WWII had fake guns because the "turret" was full of communications and command equipment, but they didnt want it to be singled out as the command vehicle.

On that note, FW needs to bring back the Salamander command vehicle.

It's still in the Imperial Armour and it's probably not a super difficult conversion but it's an Elite not an HQ (because what the Guard needed was another Elites choice?). :dawkins:

The SolarAux commander is a decent example of future-proofing, the sort of thing Keywords should make easier:

E: I mean, with the cut to Commissar Lords it isn't the worst thing in the world, and Psykers are still cheap HQs too. :shrug:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 16, 2018