Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheAsterite posted:

I guess my next question is, where do I find the best prices? Some of the high end mtg facebook groups? MTG First has them too.

If you're more concerned with getting ripped off by fakes than you are with cost (you should be,) I can set you up with my LGS owner. He'll have good enough prices too, especially if you're not concerned with condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

InterrupterJones posted:

Sounds like the type of thing you'd hear if someone pointed it out. Otherwise, it just sounds like she's saying "No no that's NEVER happening" really fast.

Which is probably the case but worth a chuckle.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

If you're more concerned with getting ripped off by fakes than you are with cost (you should be,) I can set you up with my LGS owner. He'll have good enough prices too, especially if you're not concerned with condition.

Fair point. I'm more concerned with not getting ripped off as long as I'm not paying too much more (like $100s+). As for condition, don't want anything too beat up.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Todd Stevens and Brand Nelson play Dominaria Standard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKX4Is1vUqU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

WotC just dropped a giant bomb on both of the duel commander players left.

Ban:
Edgar Markov
Chrome Mox
Ancient Tomb
Mox Diamond
Winter Orb
Sylvan Library
Worldly Tutor
Sylvan Tutor

Unban:
Protean Hulk
Mishra’s Workshop
Bazaar of Baghdad
Griselbrand

http://wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com

It looks like 2 years later they finally did what I said needed to be done in the first place. Except they still haven't unbanned the cantrips because :lol: at cantrip bans in a 99 card singleton deck.

TheAsterite posted:

Fair point. I'm more concerned with not getting ripped off as long as I'm not paying too much more (like $100s+). As for condition, don't want anything too beat up.

Send me an email at my name @ gmail so I remember to talk to him on Thursday.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I never play any commander formats, but it's kind of weird that Edgar Markov card is bannable in a format where a bunch of other (seemingly) broken stuff is legal.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

fadam posted:

I never play any commander formats, but it's kind of weird that Edgar Markov card is bannable in a format where a bunch of other (seemingly) broken stuff is legal.

In 30 life singleton, a bunch of free 1/1s is actually pretty relevant.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

fadam posted:

I have to imagine an uncounterable unkillable token generator you start with turn 0 would be liable to get banned up to and including vintage

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 16, 2018

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

fadam posted:

Without getting too deep into it, Wizards is not involved in the curation of certain Commander format ban lists (if any?). As such they tend to be less... scientific than for Standard/Modern/Legacy etc. Any ban list that features Biorhythm should be taken with a grain of salt.

Markov seems strong as hell in that format though.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

fadam posted:

Imagine that you got to start the game with an emblem that said "Whenever you cast as spell, create a 1/1 black vampire token".

Does that seem bannable?

It's not quite that, but it is very close to that.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

C-Euro posted:

Without getting too deep into it, Wizards is not involved in the curation of certain Commander format ban lists (if any?). As such they tend to be less... scientific than for Standard/Modern/Legacy etc. Any ban list that features Biorhythm should be taken with a grain of salt.

The MTGO 1v1 format (the one Edgar just got banned in) is the only one that Wizards actually controls the ban list for. Duel Commander (the non-WOTC non-Sheldon format for 1v1 paper tournaments) has an even more restrictive ban list than MTGO but both of them don't bother banning expensive feelbads like Biorhythm because "wanting to win" keeps cards like that from mattering.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
having commanders that give you value without even being cast is such an awful design decision

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

C-Euro posted:

They ban cards that end the game (Upheaval, Worldfire, etc) but leave the cards that reset the game legal (Cyclonic Rift, Sunder, Worldpurge, the green game reset that lets you play lands you draw.)

That's about it. They want the game to drag on.

And yeah Markov was ridiculous. Like, put Pulse Tracker in your 100 card singleton deck ridiculous.

Edit: People were playing Engineered Plague just to combat it. It's almost as bad as when I used to play Choke in my Maelstrom Wanderer deck.
</edit>

little munchkin posted:

having commanders that give you value without even being cast is such an awful design decision

Outside of the first set and the planeswalkers, all of their ideas for commanders have been horrible ideas.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 16, 2018

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

little munchkin posted:

Strongly agree, though then again I only ever play decks that are built heavily around the commander.

suicidesteve posted:

Outside of the first set and the planeswalkers, all of their ideas for commanders have been horrible ideas.

It's a shame the partner commanders were such a miss besides thrasios and tymna, it was a cool idea. I still run vial smasher in my Rakdos Lord of riots deck though cos she's cool.

Wurzag fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 16, 2018

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Will play modern tomorrow at LGS.
Considering playing some true next level bullshit by maindecking two blood moon in hollow one instead of collective brutality, since there's a heavy Jund meta.

With my luck, I'd just meet a bunch of burn then though.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

A few from the 2011 set were bad ideas too like Kaalia and Ghave, who have no application at all at competitive tables but are really hated at casual tables because they're very linear, boring combo decks.

But, other than those and the eminence/command zone stuff from 2013 and 2017, they've had a pretty good track record. Partners from 2016 are crazy popular, even if they're probably too powerful, as are most of the 4-color commanders. The second set from 2013 was fine (Roon, Nekusar), most of the ones from 2014 were great (Planeswalkers, Titania, Feldon), same with 2015 (Meren, Mizzix, Ezuri). There are a few that are duds and suck but even a lot of those see casual play, and a lot of the more popular stuff is from the precons.

I, too, utterly loathe dudes that get you tons of value without having to put in any effort though, or that circumvent the rules in other ways like Derevi.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Buffis posted:

Will play modern tomorrow at LGS.
Considering playing some true next level bullshit by maindecking two blood moon in hollow one instead of collective brutality, since there's a heavy Jund meta.

With my luck, I'd just meet a bunch of burn then though.

I don't know if it's still the case or not, but I think Jund players in this thread were talking about running SB Blood Moons a few months back, so that might not be as good of an anti-Jund strategy as you might think, unless something has changed.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ShaneB posted:

I really am surprised mox opal is still legal.

Mox Opal is one of those cards that everyone knows is too good for the format but, like brainstorm in legacy, people seem to like that it's in the format and it's in a shell that can easily be hated out so it gets away with being too good. I don't think killing affinity would be something wizards wants to do.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

A few from the 2011 set were bad ideas too like Kaalia and Ghave, who have no application at all at competitive tables but are really hated at casual tables because they're very linear, boring combo decks.

But, other than those and the eminence/command zone stuff from 2013 and 2017, they've had a pretty good track record. Partners from 2016 are crazy popular, even if they're probably too powerful, as are most of the 4-color commanders. The second set from 2013 was fine (Roon, Nekusar), most of the ones from 2014 were great (Planeswalkers, Titania, Feldon), same with 2015 (Meren, Mizzix, Ezuri). There are a few that are duds and suck but even a lot of those see casual play, and a lot of the more popular stuff is from the precons.

I, too, utterly loathe dudes that get you tons of value without having to put in any effort though, or that circumvent the rules in other ways like Derevi.

I guess I hate things that are hard to interact with that come with no real downside to playing them. Things like experience counters where the only way to stop is to make sure a commander never resolves, or eminence where you can't even counter it. Partners should have started you with a 6 card hand. Derevi is obviously on its own level of stupid. Nekusar is just obnoxious and has led to so many miserable games where nobody can do anything on turn 6 while also being so linear that you can probably name 80 of the cards in the deck as soon as you see someone is playing him. At least my favorite deck, Tomorrow Sphinx Stompy, has a built-in nerf to him.

I was going to mention Kaalia from the first group for being the kind of dumb card that can only lead to non-games for one side of the table. Ghave at least can be fair, even if nobody builds it that way.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

mcmagic posted:

Mox Opal is one of those cards that everyone knows is too good for the format but, like brainstorm in legacy, people seem to like that it's in the format and it's in a shell that can easily be hated out so it gets away with being too good. I don't think killing affinity would be something wizards wants to do.

I wondered about that actually. If Opal is gone does Affinity actually die, or does it stay strong but a bit slower? Seems like that's what happened to Amulet Titan.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

C-Euro posted:

I don't know if it's still the case or not, but I think Jund players in this thread were talking about running SB Blood Moons a few months back, so that might not be as good of an anti-Jund strategy as you might think, unless something has changed.

I dunno.
It's been amazing in the post board games I've had against Jund.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Buffis posted:

I dunno.

Blood Moon is a stupid card that punishes you for not drawing your fetches or basics. Pretty much every deck has draws that it's good against, especially if they don't know to play around it. I've lost to it with a deck that had 10 basics and 9 fetches.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Have any of the better stores been running no-banlist modern events lately? I think it was CardKingdom that was doing them for a while. I want to play it at scgcon and I'm wondering what the format will really look like in a tournament vs just theorycrafting.

Play Eldrazi. It's the best deck in no banlist modern.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Seconded. Any time I see it in a video or on stream, I'm reminded of how ridiculous it is. I honestly don't know what deck could beat it outside of some crazy turn one combo.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

suicidesteve posted:

I guess I hate things that are hard to interact with that come with no real downside to playing them. Things like experience counters where the only way to stop is to make sure a commander never resolves, or eminence where you can't even counter it. Partners should have started you with a 6 card hand. Derevi is obviously on its own level of stupid. Nekusar is just obnoxious and has led to so many miserable games where nobody can do anything on turn 6 while also being so linear that you can probably name 80 of the cards in the deck as soon as you see someone is playing him. At least my favorite deck, Tomorrow Sphinx Stompy, has a built-in nerf to him.

I was going to mention Kaalia from the first group for being the kind of dumb card that can only lead to non-games for one side of the table. Ghave at least can be fair, even if nobody builds it that way.

I think the problem is that for most of MTG's history, legends had been dumb flavorful top-down designs. Even with legends that would end up lending themselves to being build-around commanders in EDH (Arcum/Zur come to mind), you didn't look at them and think "Jeez, WOTC is really trying too hard," because, well, they weren't. There was a sort of innocence about it.

Once Wizards started deliberately and consciously designing legends to have build-around mechanical gimmicks, and especially ones that specifically interact with the EDH rules, it very quickly accelerated into :regd08: territory. I look at some of the newer designs and I can just feel Ken Nagle, or whoever, standing over my shoulder and waiting for me to enter their magical realm of linear, uninteractable gimmickry.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

suicidesteve posted:

Ghave at least can be fair, even if nobody builds it that way.

What's the unfair way to build it, as I've been getting hosed at the FLGS.

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it

InterrupterJones posted:

I wondered about that actually. If Opal is gone does Affinity actually die, or does it stay strong but a bit slower? Seems like that's what happened to Amulet Titan.

Mox opal is by far the best card in the deck and it's easy to imagine the deck dying or radically changing without it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Buffis posted:

I dunno.

You just play around Blood Moon, your opponent must not have noticed you were playing red.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I have to imagine an uncounterable unkillable token generator you start with turn 0 would be liable to get banned up to and including vintage

It's almost like WOTC sucks when it comes to designing cards specifically for EDH

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 16, 2018

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Maarak posted:

What's the unfair way to build it, as I've been getting hosed at the FLGS.

Throw in anything that affects the number of counters and/or tokens, all undying creatures, anything that turns creatures into mana or mana into creatures, etc. You can play out your hand & end up with a game-winning combo more than half the time.

e: For example, Geralf's Messenger and Ashnod's Altar turns into an infinite mana, infinite saprolings, infinite power, infinite targeted life loss combo with Ghave.

myDad fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 16, 2018

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

InterrupterJones posted:

Seconded. Any time I see it in a video or on stream, I'm reminded of how ridiculous it is. I honestly don't know what deck could beat it outside of some crazy turn one combo.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So then, if you aren't playing eldrazi, what's a good way to prep for eldrazi? Two of my buddies were talking about doing that and I told one of them he could borrow all my eldrazi stuff. Since I'm an idiot baby I was considering porting punishing maverick over since you can use SFM, deathrite, punishing fire, and thrown in single copies of stage/depths. I could also do a turbo depths build that might be ok.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Fingers McLongDong posted:

So then, if you aren't playing eldrazi, what's a good way to prep for eldrazi? Two of my buddies were talking about doing that and I told one of them he could borrow all my eldrazi stuff. Since I'm an idiot baby I was considering porting punishing maverick over since you can use SFM, deathrite, punishing fire, and thrown in single copies of stage/depths. I could also do a turbo depths build that might be ok.

Turbo Depths actually seems like a pretty solid option as well. From what I've seen, it all comes down to being faster than Eldrazi, which is no small task.

If it were me (I say that because I know this is probably a bad idea) I would think of running Infect with Blazing Shoals. It seems fast and reliable, and able to whip out a win out of nowhere.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

little munchkin posted:

It's a really limited design space. Anything that adds to the board without additional mana investment is dangerous, anything that provides card advantage is potentially broken. You're basically left with hard to trigger stuff (at which point why bother), stuff with relatively high additional mana investment (at which point why bother), or life gain or life loss or something boring like that.

Commanders already are free card advantage by just being an 8th card in hand that never goes away. They should probably need to get cast to give you an advantage.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I think Affinity is like the least of the problem decks running Mox. It's just too powerful in any artifact-heavy deck, and artifacts are colorless ways of doing all sorts of hateful/powerful things in a format like modern. Lantern, KCI, Affinity, etc.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Eminence and its precursor cycle from the 2013 precons are the worst things they've ever done to Commander, yeah, but I think experience counters aren't on that level. You have to invest a pretty significant amount of mana into building them up assuming your playgroup doesn't let you just sit around with your commander out all game, and even if you can't interact with the counters themselves (except for Solemnity!) you can interact with the mechanics they produce fairly trivially or the commanders with the effect. They're a lot less obnoxious than Eminence or even commanders like Kaalia.

Nekusar I don't mind so much because he's kind of a trap. If my opponent is playing Nekusar and trying to win by loading up a bunch of cards for me to draw, I'm going to laugh all the way to the bank with the multiple draw sevens that have let me easily win the game. That said, that can lead to its own brand of frustration much like "group hug" decks do so I see your point to an extent.

I fuckin love Partners though. Lots of small synergies and effects on cards that on the surface all seem kind of weak. Their tendency to make all roads lead to 3-4 color goodstuff is the only real downside of them, but there's enough potential for build around with their effects to negate that imo. Like, Tana+Tymna is way more powerful and interesting than just being a blank 4-color legendary would be, same with Silas or Sidar Kondo or whoever.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

C-Euro posted:

No one does this now, it was a desperation attempt to steal games post-SB pre-BBE by a few people who clung to their deck choice too hard.

However any decent Jund player will be aware of Moon decks and will try to fetch up basics to avoid getting mooned out. Sometimes that just doesn't happen, or not fast enough.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hellsau posted:

It's a really limited design space. Anything that adds to the board without additional mana investment is dangerous, anything that provides card advantage is potentially broken. You're basically left with hard to trigger stuff (at which point why bother), stuff with relatively high additional mana investment (at which point why bother), or life gain or life loss or something boring like that.

Commanders already are free card advantage by just being an 8th card in hand that never goes away. They should probably need to get cast to give you an advantage.

Yeah there's a reason I dug my feet into the sand on the Oloro thing when he was first printed, when lots of people initially liked him and dismissed my and others' hatred of the effect as an overreaction to a weak effect.

Turns out that setting a precedent that leads to garbage like Edgar Markov getting printed was a terrible idea, who knew???

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Eldrazi being better than Shoal Infect/Elves/Storm/whatever in no ban modern seems extremely strange to me, do you just mull to chalice/thorn if your opponent is doing something unfair?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ShaneB posted:

I think Affinity is like the least of the problem decks running Mox. It's just too powerful in any artifact-heavy deck, and artifacts are colorless ways of doing all sorts of hateful/powerful things in a format like modern. Lantern, KCI, Affinity, etc.

If you want to nerf those decks, ban Stirrings. Nothing good for the format is playing that card.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheKingofSprings posted:

At this point I think Modern really does need Force of Will printed into it

The only way that will ever happen is to go back in time and have Force of Will be in Eighth Edition.

Force of Will will never get a Modern-legal reprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Star Man posted:

The only way that will ever happen is to go back in time and have Force of Will be in Eighth Edition.

Force of Will will never get a Modern-legal reprint.

You’re right and it’s really sad for the game