Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
take this job and shove it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Iretep posted:

He didnt force anything. He gave them an offer and if they didnt like it they could leave. Which the khans for example did. And its not like they doing it because he loves the past, they are doing the pretending to get in tourists. He isnt telling them to love it, hes telling them to do it because its a job.

Yeah, he can't let go of the past, at all

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The khans were forced outta Vegas after rejecting House's offer. They didn't leave amicably.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When did the Khans live in Vegas? They're from California.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

SlothfulCobra posted:

When did the Khans live in Vegas? They're from California.

After the NCR forced them out in Fallout 2.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the fact that the khans have a "get the poo poo beaten out of you" ritual in order to become an adult is basically because of 100+ years of being knocked around like a suitably tasteless metaphor

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

The actual theme of New Vegas is that we can't linger in the past and have to move on with our lives. It's a theme carried in every single companion storyline as well as the DLCs. The tragedy of House is the man is a futurist who time forgot. He has principles that are decent, but in the end he'll always just be an autocrat trying to recreate a long dead society. He doesn't understand how similar he is to Caesar.

That's the textual theme, yes, but the metatextual theme is that if you're going to spend countless and intense manhours creating a complex, coherent setting on a buggy platform, be prepared for it to be a modest pecuniary success with a small but continual following of critical analysis and a mod library of the most bizarre sexual predilections currently known.

Discendo Vox posted:

Now, what does Fisto represent?

JawKnee posted:

take this job and shove it

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the fact that the khans have a "get the poo poo beaten out of you" ritual in order to become an adult is basically because of 100+ years of being knocked around like a suitably tasteless metaphor

The Khans kinda had it coming, to be fair. Like, every time they got the poo poo kicked out of them, it was because they kept poking the bear.

You don't poke the bear! That is the first thing they teach you about dealing with bears!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Pretty sure it was just some rando that wrecked their poo poo in 1 and 2, not Shady Sands/NCR

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
House is actually bad and should be killed

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
After the chosen one beat them up they started squatting in Vegas. However once a securitron noticed advanced scouts from the NCR he launched his army and kicked out anyone who didn't want to play ball. This included the khans. For a short while afterwards they were in North Vegas once the billboard wall went up and then they went to hitter springs.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I feel like some people like House because he talks about setting up a space program and that poo poo is just catnip for nerds. If Caesar had a line where he said "oh and then we're gonna colonize Mars" he'd get a lot more apologists.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

ive probably said this before but i feel bad for killing house because he saves your life in the beginning.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

Now, what does Fisto represent?

How the cold mechanical calculation of capitalism takes the hard earned wages of the working man and then fucks them hard.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
nvm

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 16, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Roobanguy posted:

ive probably said this before but i feel bad for killing house because he saves your life in the beginning.

He only saves you because you can get what he wants for him. If you didn't have the ability to retrieve the Platinum Chip, he would have let you rot.

House only cares about the existence of other humans as long as they serve a purpose for him. That purpose may be as far removed as maintaining a functioning economy and agriculture, but he doesn't seem to really give a poo poo about the state of the world beyond creating a life in which he is the all-knowing benevolent dictator of humankind.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The best choices for New Vegas are:

Independent Vegas > NCR > House >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Legion.

Really though those first three can be switched around depending at what you personally believe in, but seriously gently caress the Legion forever.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

House only cares about the existence of other humans as long as they serve a purpose for him.

As opposed to NCR, which

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Byzantine posted:

As opposed to NCR, which

Theoretically has goals about the rule of law and democracy. In practice not so much, but they have an ideology that goes beyond an autocratic vision of the future under a machine god, despite House's denial of that moniker.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Theoretically has goals about the rule of law and democracy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Byzantine posted:

As opposed to NCR, which

Ran a charity to help Freeside with no expectation of gain until Pacer hosed it up.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
House can't really afford not to think of people in terms of their utility to him, given how precarious his position is

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

2house2fly posted:

House can't really afford not to think of people in terms of their utility to him, given how precarious his position is

Well maybe he could be a bit more self aware and realize that coming off as a smug aloof jackass won't make people want to work with him.

character flaws are great.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

2house2fly posted:

The way I see it at least some of that precariousness is self-inflicted, House seems vastly better at making enemies than allies.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Byzantine posted:

As opposed to NCR, which

isn't one dude in a tube

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Byzantine posted:

As opposed to NCR, which

...isn't a monolithic hive mind. Its status as a republic means that everyone gets some form of autonomy; while you get the good parts of the system (people who use their position to help others and citizens having some level of representation in their government through the power of voting instead of being under an autocrat), you also get the bad parts (people who use their position to abuse others, including the potential for elected officials and military members to find legal methods of loving people over).

With House, any problems with his philosophy can be attributed to House. There's not a million people all controlling the direction of the government. It's one person who's placed himself in ultimate control and has unfailing belief in his own perfection.

It's notable that with the NCR, it starts out with a lot of problems but you can push it in the right direction with some effort to help other people take responsibility and do the right thing, or get rid of the bad apples. With House, you have absolutely no way to affect his plan or beliefs. He believes that he's infallible, so any attempt to redirect him is fruitless. You're with him or against him.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Caesar says that democracy in the NCR is on the ropes, if it isn't already entirely a farce, but he's nuts, so it's just his word against the NCR party line. Certainly keeping military conquest as a viable political strategy seems like it wouldn't play nice with democracy.

House is fairly flexible. You can handle most of his quests either which way; the only thing he really sticks on is the Brotherhood of Steel, about which he's totally right.

The people of the Mojave don't really seem to care either which way.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well maybe he could be a bit more self aware and realize that coming off as a smug aloof jackass won't make people want to work with him.

character flaws are great.

he has 1 charisma he cant help it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

Caesar says that democracy in the NCR is on the ropes, if it isn't already entirely a farce, but he's nuts, so it's just his word against the NCR party line. Certainly keeping military conquest as a viable political strategy seems like it wouldn't play nice with democracy.

House is fairly flexible. You can handle most of his quests either which way; the only thing he really sticks on is the Brotherhood of Steel, about which he's totally right.

The people of the Mojave don't really seem to care either which way.

People have been saying democracy is on the ropes basically since democracy existed. Virtually everything that causes people to question whether their elected leaders are working in their best interests leads someone to throw up their hands and go "Democracy is dead, we need a benevolent dictator!" And then it keeps existing for another hundred or two years.

Pretty much every complaint about the NCR can be applied directly to the United States at most points in its history, which isn't exactly collapsing into squabbling warlords and city states.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

chitoryu12 posted:

Pretty much every complaint about the NCR can be applied directly to the United States at most points in its history, which isn't exactly collapsing into squabbling warlords and city states.

Eh, just give Trump another year or two.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Colonial USA was absolutely a clusterfuck of regional interests

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
The NCR is going through the growing pains of a capitalist democracy, which is why I prefer the Independent ending where I can spread the infinite power of communism

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

chitoryu12 posted:

With House, you have absolutely no way to affect his plan or beliefs.

Except by, you know, talking to him. Which you can do quite easily. It's literally in the ending slides. "The Courier, fair and kind-hearted to those in the Wasteland, ensured that Mr. House would keep New Vegas stable and secure for future generations. Mr. House afforded him/her every luxury at his disposal in the Lucky 38, out of gratitude - and a quiet sense of pride for his choice in lieutenants."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

As I recall, a lot of Caesar's complaints hinge upon the fact that the NCR doesn't have term limits, and there's already been one or two presidents for life. That also brings out the comparisons to Julius Caesar in ancient Rome, but that tends to fall apart with the fact that Kimball's not just a governor taking it upon his own initiative to conquer and bring back riches to make the people love him, he's the top government official, so it's unlikely that the senate will try to paint the whole thing as unlawful and prompt a civil war, at least not the way it happened in ancient Rome.

That being said, just because the US has done the whole manifest destiny thing once before doesn't really make doing it all again sound nice. It's worth noting that House is the only one of the 3 big powers that has multiple states in its overall worldview. Odds are that the NCR will go through this whole song and dance all over again in Montana, or Alberta, or Mississippi, or Mexico.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Iretep posted:

he has 1 charisma he cant help it.

Wait, really? (checks) Well I'll be, they really did program him with 1 charisma, he also has 5 intelligence. So he's good with machines, but bad at understanding and dealing with people, and he's smart, but nowhere near as smart as he thinks he is or even close to the smartest person in the Mojave, and they found a way to reflect this in his stats.

The people who made this game really put a lot of thought into it, I love it.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

He only saves you because you can get what he wants for him. If you didn't have the ability to retrieve the Platinum Chip, he would have let you rot.

i don't really believe this argument. the closest thing to what you say happens is if you get close to the deathclaws and he tries to stop you from going to your death.

VES01VictorGSMyBodyguardVictorTopic008 I can take care of myself. Neutral 50 Sure you can, friend, but everyone needs a hand from time to time. Maybe you'll return the favor one day. 21
VES01VictorGSMyBodyguardVictorTopic010 You saying I owe you? Neutral 50 I wouldn't put it exactly like that, friend. 22

in fact, victor never tells you that "Man, revenge sure sounds good, huh?" he doesn't even tell you about benny and the khans who attack you, and just points to the townsfolk if you want to learn more. seeing how, metagame wise, House is considered Good, i'm willing to bet he felt responsible for your whole "getting shot and left in a ditch," and seeing as how he had a way to save you he took it. if the option still existed in the game to head back west for an early ending im betting that house wouldn't hunt you down for not delivering the chip.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
NCR doesnt have term limits but Tandi was voted into office every time. Caesar sees that as a dictatorship in all but name but it's still just his opinion. If japan still existed with the LDP in charge Caesar would probably have a premature hemorrhage.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Wait, really? (checks) Well I'll be, they really did program him with 1 charisma, he also has 5 intelligence. So he's good with machines, but bad at understanding and dealing with people, and he's smart, but nowhere near as smart as he thinks he is or even close to the smartest person in the Mojave, and they found a way to reflect this in his stats.

Canonical NPC SPECIAL scores are awful though, Caesar has like 4 Charisma or something stupid.

(the Brotherhood needs a shakeup but Veronica has the right idea and they could ultimately become a force for good, fight me)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, and he has 10 Perception and 10 Endurance. If the stats are meant to be a hint to his character, it sounds like he's meant to be someone who's not even close to a genius but built himself up through an obsession with success and ability to identify people's strengths and weaknesses to use for his own benefit. His talents like robotics and math were accomplished through hard work, rather than an inherent genius-level IQ.

Amazingly, Caesar also has completely average stats from 4 to 6 in everything. He doesn't have a single inherent advantage over any other person. Nothing about him is special. He's actually slightly inferior to President Kimball when it comes to stats and equal to Ambassador Crocker. Lanius has higher stats in pretty much everything, including higher INT than House.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Canonical NPC SPECIAL scores are awful though, Caesar has like 4 Charisma or something stupid.

(the Brotherhood needs a shakeup but Veronica has the right idea and they could ultimately become a force for good, fight me)

Rather than being a dumb mistake, it could be a hint by the developers as to how people achieved success. Edward Sallow became a dictator despite not being special because of what he did, rather than who he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

This is the weirdest permutation of IQ anomie that I’ve ever read