Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

Hold on, this just registered.

The users have laptops, whose primary function is *portability*, and they just leave it parked on their desk and then want to remote into it? :psyboom:

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Yes. They leave it at the office and then when they unexpectedly are working remotely, complain there is no way to have remote access in case they 'forget' it

Idk how you forget the thing at your desk, but here we are. I told them that we won't be setting it up for them, and to take it up with their manager if they don't want to take a vacation day today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Proteus Jones posted:

The users have laptops, whose primary function is *portability*, and they just leave it parked on their desk and then want to remote into it? :psyboom:

We had to have this talk with several users not too long ago. Thankfully it's really easy when you lay it out exactly like in your post.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have users who keep "forgetting" their laptop at home, so we need a pile of spares because gently caress you if you think they're gonna drive back home and get it.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

Proteus Jones posted:

We got people who have a desktop and laptop. They use the laptop to remote into their desktop.

Then we have users who have 2 laptops and a desktop. They work in multiple offices, but refuse to carry the laptops with them. They'll use the laptop or desktop at one office and remote into their main laptop back at HQ.

This becomes more prevalent the higher up in the chain. To be fair, this practice has started to die down since IT has changed a few internal processes.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Proteus Jones posted:

There was a push at my previous employer for this, by the IT Manager. This extended all the way down to floor workers, to the point where we were locking laptops down to tables instead of just getting regular desktop PCs. His justification was that it standardized PC support, but I'm sure we wasted money by getting $1200 laptops for every user as opposed to a $700 tower PC when the user's only task was data entry.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

We have users who keep "forgetting" their laptop at home, so we need a pile of spares because gently caress you if you think they're gonna drive back home and get it.

Every single time someone 'forgets' their laptop at home we give them a spare and report it to their manager. After the third time, I sit down with their manager and discuss before issuing them a spare. the embarrassment has gone a long way in getting people to not forget

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I just wish my boss wasn't such a yes man who agrees to everything the users want. Bunch of spoiled children we have working here now.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

I just wish my boss wasn't such a yes man who agrees to everything the users want. Bunch of spoiled children we have working here now.

This is exactly what I'm dealing with now. the old IT Director was a super good boss and nice guy, but when it came to the rest of the company he said yes to everything and never put his foot down. Now, the company is wanting to cut expenses hardcore and when I start cutting personal printers, gotomypc, and other frivolous crap people are super upset.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

People are requesting docking stations and monitors for home and getting them. Like what the gently caress? They don't work from home, they're at the office all day.

It's not my money, but then don't bitch about why we're over budget.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GreenNight posted:

People are requesting docking stations and monitors for home and getting them. Like what the gently caress? They don't work from home, they're at the office all day.

It's not my money, but then don't bitch about why we're over budget.

This is why I have been fighting with our "accounting" management for some time about how things are applied to budget. Just because something is a tech item does not mean it comes out of the IT budget. If a department wants something like docking stations at home, that comes out of their budget, not IT's.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

If a department wants something like docking stations at home, that comes out of their budget, not IT's.

I stomped my feet and bitched about this so hard earlier this year and was lucky enough to get my way. You get a specific set of equipment based on your role, as dictated by the equipment policy. If you want something else, you request it to IT, IT tells you the cost, and it comes out of your budget. The end.

Our requests for superfluous equipment have dropped to almost 0

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah we aren't so lucky. Management has dictated that it's all under IT budget.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

GreenNight posted:

Yeah we aren't so lucky. Management has dictated that it's all under IT budget.

Just get yourself a sweet home set up on the companies dime then. Gotta get the gravy man.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Nerdrock posted:

drat, y'all talking up JAMF makes me sad our school district can't afford it. Seems I should put all the Deploystudio / Munki bullshit I've wrangled somewhere in my linkedin with a big (DID JAMFLIKE STUFF BUT WITHOUT PAYING FOR JAMF).

How much is JAMF?

I’m assuming schools get a educational discount.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

How much is JAMF?

They do. I can't recall off the top of my head, but I do remember that it was somewhere between double and triple the cost of the MDM we use (lightspeed) for our iOS devices

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tab8715 posted:

How much is JAMF?

for us it's about 70k, for about 600 mac workstations. Honestly check with their sales team, that'll be more accurate and I don't believe JAMF charges on a per-endpoint basis.

It's pricy, but worth it especially if you've a dedicated resource. But it takes a lot of babying and a lot of work, like SCCM and, honestly, pretty much any MDM.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How the hell does MDM require more or even equal babysitting as SCCM?

That’s insane? Or what am I missing?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

How the hell does MDM require more or even equal babysitting as SCCM?

That’s insane? Or what am I missing?

Jamf has poo poo for more than just being an MDM. it does system imaging and some other stuff too, I guess.

though Apple's putting the axe to imaging flat out pretty soon, so that'll be real interesting.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Nerdrock posted:

Jamf has poo poo for more than just being an MDM. it does system imaging and some other stuff too, I guess.

though Apple's putting the axe to imaging flat out pretty soon, so that'll be real interesting.

You'll need a headcount just to build / maintain all the installer packages you'll need to keep around.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

NeuralSpark posted:

You'll need a headcount just to build / maintain all the installer packages you'll need to keep around.

Yeah. At the end of the day, it seems that maintaining all the computer stuff for a JAMF environment is close to the same amount of work (at least for my district) as doing it yourself. Munki keeps our poo poo installed, and AutoPkg keeps stuff updated. I haven't had to fuss with firefox updates, flash updates, office updates, etc in quite a while. I do remember seeing a couple of snazzy tools in JAMF that would have made life a little easier, but it didn't seem worth the price to us.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
I am working on explaining to our users what the corporate side of the network is for.

It is not for you to plug a switch into so you can run N+1 lovely old systems you've squirreled away or pulled out of our IT trash bin.
It is not for you to run a raspberry pi with some nginx webserver on for other engineers to access
It is not for you to plug customer service gear into for 'testing'

I love and hate working for engineering companies.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

DigitalMocking posted:

I am working on explaining to our users what the corporate side of the network is for.

It is not for you to plug a switch into so you can run N+1 lovely old systems you've squirreled away or pulled out of our IT trash bin.
It is not for you to run a raspberry pi with some nginx webserver on for other engineers to access
It is not for you to plug customer service gear into for 'testing'

I love and hate working for engineering companies.

And it's not for Joe the janitor to connect his chromebook to so he can watch netflix on slow days. No, i don't care that you already told him he could.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think it's time for you to look at port security

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

^^^ like, whatever man ^^^

Sounds like it's time for port security!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

The Iron Rose posted:

I don't believe JAMF charges on a per-endpoint basis.

You do have to have a license per machine.

When your renewal comes up, they have to login and send them a report that has a count of enrolled machines. Then you figure out how many more licenses you need to buy.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

AlternateAccount posted:

You do have to have a license per machine.

When your renewal comes up, they have to login and send them a report that has a count of enrolled machines. Then you figure out how many more licenses you need to buy.

Ahh. Yeah I double checked and we snuck in a perpetual licensing agreement right before they changed it.

So maybe my 70 grand figure is a bit off. My analysis of time spent, however, is not. I'm the lead SCCM gal in my office, and a colleague of mine is the lead JAMF person, and he's easily spent dozens of hours more than I have getting his scripts and packages and policies just right.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Thanks Ants posted:

I think it's time for you to look at port security

I would like to introduce you to a small list I keep, it's called "technical debt".

(yes, I agree with you. I have been told we cannot put port security in place until we have a set of policies in place around technology.)

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Did someone say 802.1x? I thought I heard someone say 802.1x.

At old job we had 802.1x enabled and it was a huge pain in the rear end. It would've been fine if we had succeeded in getting ISE setup as part of phase 2, but alas, we were trapped in NPS hell forever.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
We run clearpass and while it certainly requires some care and feeding, it's a pretty nice product all around. 57 branch locations and 1200 or so devices, for reference.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Our team is in charge of software distribution for the company, and we've been dealing with one team that cannot follow standard procedure to save their lives and insist on 6 hours of status meetings per week. Today they sent a request to install a program on every device (Including BYOD) in the company. Download the file onto my machine, antivirus pops. Turns out they used some shareware tool to make the MSI that just filled it full of trojans.

They don't get to make requests anymore. :dance:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So is the work that they do which requires them to distribute software being delegated to another team?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

That has yet to be worked out. As of now Security has dictated that not compromising or entire company trumps all other priorities.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Did someone say 802.1x? I thought I heard someone say 802.1x.

At old job we had 802.1x enabled and it was a huge pain in the rear end. It would've been fine if we had succeeded in getting ISE setup as part of phase 2, but alas, we were trapped in NPS hell forever.

One way to ease into this is to get everyone on 802.1x with the fallback being what they use today. Don't start applying policies or security or anything until everyone authenticates quickly and seamlessly.

I found Microsoft's service to be solid, and freeradius to be a joke. The only people who had trouble were of course Linux users.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

H110Hawk posted:

One way to ease into this is to get everyone on 802.1x with the fallback being what they use today. Don't start applying policies or security or anything until everyone authenticates quickly and seamlessly.

I found Microsoft's service to be solid, and freeradius to be a joke. The only people who had trouble were of course Linux users.

Yeah we've had zero issues with MS 802.1x but we're all windows as are all our clients. Took a bit of hammering to initially get configured because a lot of us were doing it for the first time, but once we worked out a few things it was gravy.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
At my old place of work we used Radiator and it was an absolute treat and far, far better than the "enterprise" software like clearpass/ise/etc. unless you hate configuration files.

With automation as well the open-source options are even better as well, ISE has it's own proprietary clustering/redundancy/database/api model and it makes it a nightmare to do anything custom on unless you love writing really slow API calls. I have one script that takes 3 hours to run because there's no way to ask for a certain API result in bulk.

On 802.1x - it can work but really you need to have 802.1x with macauth bypass, which also means you need to maintain a large list of allowed hardware, someone to make the policy, etc.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I'm not a network expert by any means, but since we implemented 802.1x it's been a massive pain in the dick for us. Since we're a school district with macs, tons of dumbshits every day let their laptop's battery die completely. No CMOS battery in apple laptops. So : the clock goes back to 1970, and 802.1x shits itself. Every day we get calls, and have to walk another handful of teachers plugging into ethernet because "oh you never gave me an ethernet dongle" (yes we did).

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
That's why you really need an effective policy engine alongside an enrollment system, like ISE. Issue a cert and follow the guidelines and you can connect.

Cisco has some *real* loving problems with a lot of their products but I dig ISE and it's capabilities. It definitely requires effort to put it in place the right way, though.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
We just de-implimented 802.1x from our test site because it's such a bitch. We're about 125macs and 250sih PCs. PCs are fine. Macs are a bitch. The macs will get the jamf package for it, work once, then not work. I found a really extensive write up on how to fix it but fuckkkkk. Can I just get NAP instead pleasseeee

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Nerdrock posted:

What? I hadn’t heard about this. Does Apple just not give any fucks about professional environments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We’re demoing Forescout right now. Not my project so I don’t know how it’s going, but we’re going to give it a shot.

It’s my understanding ClearPass is a better solution but for political reasons we can’t use it.

I can tell you I didn’t care for some of the agentless scanning requirements