Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I'm sure most players generate currency by just killing monsters, which is basically all I (a poor) do too. Not debating that in the slightest.

That said, every game with an economy has people working it, and hoo boy does this game have an opaque economy. People bought cars from botting D3 -- not the game, the auction house -- and I'm sure there's a non-zero amount of people doing something similar here too.

Heck, I had a real simple strategy this league of buying any div card for below X chaos, making the item, then selling it for anywhere between "more than the sum of the parts" and "50 c more than the sum of the parts." Then there was that guy that connected the dots on Ancient Orbs and i60 unique tower shields to make Lycos and was generating 100c as fast as he could buy the shields.

Find the right market niche any given league and it's $$$.

Yeah except...that might be a couple people each league. But it's not "all people who have amassed at least 50ex in a league", I suspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It took me quite a long time to get to the point where I'm able to amass 50ex+ a league with the way I play. Legacy was the first time, and I've worked out a routine that fits me.

I'm a chronic reroller. It's hard as poo poo to amass anything when you're at 1 character a week.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vasudus posted:

It took me quite a long time to get to the point where I'm able to amass 50ex+ a league with the way I play. Legacy was the first time, and I've worked out a routine that fits me.

I'm a chronic reroller. It's hard as poo poo to amass anything when you're at 1 character a week.

Yeah my problem is being altoholic. I need a way to figure out how to generate currency effectively while being a reroller.

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
OK, here's a basic question: what do you do with all the jeweler orbs? Just sell them directly to people?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I may do a Vorici 6S or two, but for the most part I just sell them once I realize I have several hundred of them.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

nogic posted:

OK, here's a basic question: what do you do with all the jeweler orbs? Just sell them directly to people?

Yeah, they build up fast and sell for like 10-1c or something like that so its an easy way to cash out once you have like 300 stored up.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Elentor posted:

Yeah my problem is being altoholic. I need a way to figure out how to generate currency effectively while being a reroller.

The only way that will happen is finding a market niche and exploiting it. Either a under represented craft, items to flip or a knowledge gap, all of which can make a lot of currency if done right. Rerolling completely guts your currency gains between the time leveling and buying gear for a new character. And even then once you're mapping there will be some amount of time before you can do maps at a good enough pace to start making money again.

The best way to make money is to just play the game a lot, and keep killing monsters. I've got maybe 200 ex in currency+gear this league, and a solid 75% of that came from just killing a variety of monsters and selling the loot. I had very few big ticket drops, 2 Watcher's Eyes worth 5-8ex, couple solid shaper rares, it was mostly just a lot of sub 1ex drops that add up over time.

Plus I played a fuckton of hours the first 2 weeks where everything is worth way more.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

nogic posted:

Don't forget selling them to vorici for fusings. I think that's like the only daily vendor special that is a net positive.

J
Jun 10, 2001

nogic posted:

I trade them for fusings at the npc vendor and either piss the fusings away trying to 6link poo poo, or trade the fusings for exalts to buy stuff.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Don't forget selling them to vorici for fusings. I think that's like the only daily vendor special that is a net positive.

Catarina's chance-for-scours is positive too but good luck doing THAT one every day.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cinara posted:

The only way that will happen is finding a market niche and exploiting it. Either a under represented craft, items to flip or a knowledge gap, all of which can make a lot of currency if done right. Rerolling completely guts your currency gains between the time leveling and buying gear for a new character. And even then once you're mapping there will be some amount of time before you can do maps at a good enough pace to start making money again.

The best way to make money is to just play the game a lot, and keep killing monsters. I've got maybe 200 ex in currency+gear this league, and a solid 75% of that came from just killing a variety of monsters and selling the loot. I had very few big ticket drops, 2 Watcher's Eyes worth 5-8ex, couple solid shaper rares, it was mostly just a lot of sub 1ex drops that add up over time.

Plus I played a fuckton of hours the first 2 weeks where everything is worth way more.

I don't have time to play a lot though, which is why solving the currency problem to me is something that I want to do so I can enjoy playing ridiculous builds with league-specific uniques without resorting to RMT. In past leagues I solved it through the aforementioned selling a few big ticket items, and in one league I had an insane luck dropping 3 Exalts before level 70 and then another 4 over the next week, which in the first week was enough to kickstart me into doing whatever the hell I wanted.

It's probably going to be through a market exploit like you said. In FFXIV I had a tool to scan the market and automatically find what to craft/flip which solved that for me and so I had infinite money. PoE has so much crap going on though that even the thought of writing that is :effort:

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
If you can devote most of the first weekend to PoE, including taking Friday off, that can set you up pretty well. I had ~10ex by the end of Sunday just because if you hit maps ASAP every mediocre rare sells for a ton and ex are 30-40c each.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Cinara posted:

The only way that will happen is finding a market niche and exploiting it. Either a under represented craft, items to flip or a knowledge gap, all of which can make a lot of currency if done right.

I'll share one I was doing that I figured out on my own. At league start I would buy The Jeweler's Touch (guarantees a 5-link) and a normal Vis Mortis, and make it into a 5-link Vis Mortis to sell. They would sell for 8-10c profit over the two individual items and it worked for a few weeks so I made a few exalts profit as I was doing the rest of my stuff. I put all that into buying 15/20 roll Primordial Harmonies for ~20c each for my Golemancer. When I rerolled a month in, I put ther 8 harmonies all up at once for 50c each and one rich reroller bought them all without blinking.

edit: And yeah, keep all your spare money in Exalts, chaos drop quite a lot at the league goes on

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The value of Chaos to Exalts depends entirely on the league's chaos sinks. Yes, the ratio is low as gently caress to start, then goes much higher. That happens every league regardless. In Legacy, there were no chaos sinks because Zana was basically disabled, causing chaos to spike to almost 135:1 at one point (before hovering at 120-125). In Abyss, with Breach being Zana 8, not only were chaos mostly stable around 85:1 give or take, but there was very good money to be made in Zana reputation gaining prophecies throughout the entire league. In this league there's not exactly a good chaos sink (but there is a reason to do it for the Harbinger challenge) and they're currently around 110:1, but I suspect the playerbase is dropping like a rock which is throwing things off a little.

I typically keep roughly 2ex of chaos floating around, and then convert the rest.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I basically funded an Kaoms Heart by picking up jewelers and 6s. Aside from the occasional thing that would sell for over 10c, I fund everything via pocket change.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
Hi, I started playing this game a few weeks ago & upon checking the goon stuff it appears that the discord invite is dead. Anybody have an active link available?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Do you folks habitually run zana mods? Only once you hit a certain map tier? How do you tell whether you're making your money back?

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

Lechtansi posted:

I basically funded an Kaoms Heart by picking up jewelers and 6s. Aside from the occasional thing that would sell for over 10c, I fund everything via pocket change.

"Pocket change" is a vastly underrated source of wealth. If you aren't picking up everything greater than a transmute, you're missing out on a lot more than you think.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

pokchu posted:

"Pocket change" is a vastly underrated source of wealth. If you aren't picking up everything greater than a transmute, you're missing out on a lot more than you think.

I mean, even rodent's strict filter includes alts and everything more valuable than that currency wise.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Do you folks habitually run zana mods? Only once you hit a certain map tier? How do you tell whether you're making your money back?

Almost constantly now that I am mapping and not really targetting a big spend. My eyeballed quantity of chaos has been pretty stable so my random sales have been keeping me afloat pretty well.

fwiw I have an elder rings set up and exclusively run the elder/shaper maps on my atlas.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

pokchu posted:

100% This. People taking about MF builds are not making money off more uniques or super rare drops, it's the item quantity making more currency and 6s items drop. Look at any of those "I ran 100 of this map" posts on reddit and check what the breakdown of their currency was. It's always maps and random lovely currency making up the bulk majority of the profits.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Anecdotally I blew through an exalt worth of mods on various maps and it seemed like a waste of money to me considering the meager returns.

The way I've been doing since is I'll alc all higher tier maps, if it's poo poo mods I'll vaal it for a chance to reroll them, and if I have sextants up then I'll use 4 chisels on a normal map, alc then vaal.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

silvergoose posted:

I mean, even rodent's strict filter includes alts and everything more valuable than that currency wise.

Just because it doesn't get filtered doesn't mean it gets picked up. Lots of people decline to pick up tons of stuff, and you'd see it all the time when pub groups were more of a thing.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I'm sure most players generate currency by just killing monsters, which is basically all I (a poor) do too. Not debating that in the slightest.

That said, every game with an economy has people working it, and hoo boy does this game have an opaque economy. People bought cars from botting D3 -- not the game, the auction house -- and I'm sure there's a non-zero amount of people doing something similar here too.

Heck, I had a real simple strategy this league of buying any div card for below X chaos, making the item, then selling it for anywhere between "more than the sum of the parts" and "50 c more than the sum of the parts." Then there was that guy that connected the dots on Ancient Orbs and i60 unique tower shields to make Lycos and was generating 100c as fast as he could buy the shields.

Find the right market niche any given league and it's $$$.

Yes but you see this is impossible since there isn't an auction house! That means you and the flippers are on a level field!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Tonetta posted:

Hi, I started playing this game a few weeks ago & upon checking the goon stuff it appears that the discord invite is dead. Anybody have an active link available?

you mean you want to get invited into the guild? just post your character name

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

Yes but you see this is impossible since there isn't an auction house! That means you and the flippers are on a level field!

It's able to be automated to some extent (we've all bought items from obvious sales bots), but yes, it's not at the level D3 was.

My point wasn't that people are getting rich off botting the trade market though, at least, not the botting part. I assume it's a bit more manual in this game than it was in D3, but playing the market is absolutely profitable, and I bet a lot of people find one particular transaction where there's a gap of some sort and maximize it as supplemental, or in more rare cases, outstanding profit.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Goa Tse-tung posted:

you mean you want to get invited into the guild? just post your character name

I was asking for the discord first, but yeah I wouldn't mind a guild invite! I thought I had to go through the IRC for that though

Zetian on Beastiary (non hardcore)

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

It's able to be automated to some extent (we've all bought items from obvious sales bots), but yes, it's not at the level D3 was.

My point wasn't that people are getting rich off botting the trade market though, at least, not the botting part. I assume it's a bit more manual in this game than it was in D3, but playing the market is absolutely profitable, and I bet a lot of people find one particular transaction where there's a gap of some sort and maximize it as supplemental, or in more rare cases, outstanding profit.

absolutely, for example elder heavy belts were insanely undervalued for very long

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Once I hit red maps, putting on bloodlines was always worth it. It almost doubled my map drops, giving me ~2 red map drops per map. It put me on the easy path to sustainability and making a lot of money. I was up about 200c every 10 maps just from currency, maps and uniques not including any rares.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I imagine people are making decent money off botting be it the market trolling type or killing type. It's not going to be as much as D3 because of size/difficulty to turn currency into money. I did "bot" (does an autohotkey script I made count?) in D3 but I did manually find the small little niche I used for it. A bot could do it if someone could be bothered to program it.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 16, 2018

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Lechtansi posted:

Once I hit red maps, putting on bloodlines was always worth it. It almost doubled my map drops, giving me ~2 red map drops per map. It put me on the easy path to sustainability and making a lot of money. I was up about 200c every 10 maps just from currency, maps and uniques not including any rares.
I tried exactly this during Abyss (rare, fully chiseled red maps with Bloodlines via the map device) and couldn't keep it sustainable on red map drops or currency.

I'm bad at pricing rares, but I was at least selling 1c+ uniques at market value.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Is there easy way to make it so a keyboard key can act as Left Click? I want to try pressing a keyboard key to move around instead of clicking, but it's the only keymap that is greyed out in the settings. Maybe there's a PoE .ini that can be edited, or a 3rd party program that can let a key emulate left mouse button? Trying to Google it but it's not quite coming up.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I ran a whole lot of Fortune Favors the Brave on any red map, provided my chaos didn't sink too low. Overall I would say it's worth it, though getting something like Onslaught kinda stinks.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

I run bloodlines on most of my t13+ maps and even with rerolling reflect maps I still end up with a net positive in returns based on currency cop, and that doesn't even include the increased map drops.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Zero VGS posted:

Is there easy way to make it so a keyboard key can act as Left Click? I want to try pressing a keyboard key to move around instead of clicking, but it's the only keymap that is greyed out in the settings. Maybe there's a PoE .ini that can be edited, or a 3rd party program that can let a key emulate left mouse button? Trying to Google it but it's not quite coming up.

Windows has a thing called "mouse keys" built in. Can probably do just what you want

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
If not, AHK absolutely has you covered.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

dyzzy posted:

If not, AHK absolutely has you covered.

I'll try that; MouseKeys only lets you move the cursor around it seems, the geniuses at Microsoft didn't offer a click method.

edit:

- make a text file and name it "click.ahk"

to bind, for example, the "g" key, paste in:

code:
g::
click
save the file and launch with AHK, done. It'll replace the function of the key so you can't use it for anything else until you quit the macro.

Further reading here:

https://superuser.com/questions/365866/set-mouse-or-keyboard-button-to-simulate-left-click-and-hold-or-rapid-left-click/913791#913791

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 16, 2018

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Vasudus posted:

I ran a whole lot of Fortune Favors the Brave on any red map, provided my chaos didn't sink too low. Overall I would say it's worth it, though getting something like Onslaught kinda stinks.

Onslaught is good though. 20% quant and no real downside.

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007
Hey can I get a guild invite if there's room? SmashLampjaw on beastiary standard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

I'll try that; MouseKeys only lets you move the cursor around it seems, the geniuses at Microsoft didn't offer a click method.

Numpad 5 clicks the mouse with mousekeys on, might wanna actually look into things before you make stupid statements.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14204/windows-7-use-mouse-keys-to-move-mouse-pointer