Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

poopinmymouth posted:

They really are identical.

So you're one of those all-bacon diet people, Ok, I get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

fishmech posted:

So you're one of those all-bacon diet people, Ok, I get it.

The tobacco and fast food industries are indistinguishable.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

poopinmymouth posted:

The tobacco and fast food industries are indistinguishable.

No, because tobacco is actually bad. While fast food is just food which is pretty much average. Sorry you prefer the same food served slightly differently.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

Oxygen has 100% mortality too.

soda/juice/sugarwater is bad for you and its ok to admit it

if cigarettes are poison and not a drug than soda is a poison and not a food

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

self unaware posted:

soda/juice/sugarwater is bad for you and its ok to admit it

They're perfectly fine. Sugar is a basic component of human nutrition.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

and getting hosed up is a basic component of human existence

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

fishmech posted:

No, because tobacco is actually bad. While fast food is just food which is pretty much average. Sorry you prefer the same food served slightly differently.

Nope. In fact they are the same.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

poopinmymouth posted:

Nope. In fact they are the same.

Despite how much you rage about it, fast food is probably "healthier" then whatever garbage you eat instead.

self unaware posted:

and getting hosed up is a basic component of human existence
That's what weed is for.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

That's what weed is for.

a balanced diet is important, a little tobacco aint going to kill you any more than a little blow will. enjoy responsibly and dont spread DARE-level "drugs are poison" bullshit

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

self unaware posted:

a balanced diet is important, a little tobacco aint going to kill you any more than a little blow will. enjoy responsibly and dont spread DARE-level "drugs are poison" bullshit

Tobacco is poison though. Total trash plant.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

fishmech posted:

Despite how much you rage about it, fast food is probably "healthier" then whatever garbage you eat instead.

That's what weed is for.

There is no difference between cigarettes and fast food.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

poopinmymouth posted:

There is no difference between cigarettes and fast food.

Yes there is. Fast food is just normal food, which is something you need to eat.

Cigarettes are poison.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

fishmech posted:

Imported soft drinks and junk food are creating an obesity and diabetes crises in Sub-Saharan Africa. It's been going on for years. It looks an awful lot like the strategy of the tobacco companies. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/27/world/africa/kenya-obesity-diabetes.html

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

xrunner posted:

Imported soft drinks and junk food are creating an obesity and diabetes crises in Sub-Saharan Africa. It's been going on for years. It looks an awful lot like the strategy of the tobacco companies. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/27/world/africa/kenya-obesity-diabetes.html

Junk food is a term used by snobs to denigrate food rather indistinguishable from what they eat except in price - again see things like cities introducing taxes on soda for having sugar but not taxing fancy coffees loaded up with even more sugar.

All that's actually telling us is that food is getting cheap enough there (and the spending ability of the population high enough) to shift the window of food related issues from primarily too little food to too much food. And it's a lot easier to deal with inconvenience via being tubby than death via starvation.

Plus as the article mentions, those who were starving for extended times in their past have higher tendency to put on weight once food is plentiful. If they were eating whatever food it is snobs expect them to eat, they'd also be too fat now if said food was also affordable.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 16, 2018

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
e:n/a

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

fishmech posted:

Yes there is.

No there isn't.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

fishmech posted:

Junk food is a term used by snobs to denigrate food rather indistinguishable from what they eat except in price - again see things like cities introducing taxes on soda for having sugar but not taxing fancy coffees loaded up with even more sugar.

All that's actually telling us is that food is getting cheap enough there (and the spending ability of the population high enough) to shift the window of food related issues from primarily too little food to too much food. And it's a lot easier to deal with inconvenience via being tubby than death via starvation.

Plus as the article mentions, those who were starving for extended times in their past have higher tendency to put on weight once food is plentiful. If they were eating whatever food it is snobs expect them to eat, they'd also be too fat now if said food was also affordable.

Then why are we concerned with malnutrition? For example - here are calls imploring the soft drink industry to include nutrients in their products. Guess if they actually did? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3139541/

I mean - on one hand - you're right - food is food. On the other hand, the soft drink and fast food industries heavily engineer their products to create cravings that lead to over-consumption. They also heavily market in ways that get into your head and create lifetime positive associations.

I get that part of it is food snobs - and you're absolutely right that plenty of high-end products are just junk food with "organic" or "all natural" or whatever pasted on top of an otherwise lovely product. But - and this can be difficult because it sadly requires a pretty solid income and free time - try home cooking your meals for a month and making sure they're vegetable heavy. Then go eat some prepared food or snack food and you'll be absolutely astounded at how sweet everything tastes because of how much sugar is added.

Edit: And I'm not supporting shaming people who eat fast food or consume soft drinks. We've set up our society and food distribution system for it to make a lot of sense, especially if you're on the lower end of the income scale or have bought into the cult of working too many drat hours. But the actual industry itself is foul, and the products they produce are downright malicious in their intent to flood the market with addictive crappy options that have serious implications for people's health.

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 16, 2018

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
Fast food at least technically qualifies as food, even if it is often dangerously unhealthy. Tobacco is an extremely toxic and addictive poison with zero possible beneficial effects other than "it makes you feel good, but not as good as a bunch of other recreational drugs that are totally illegal despite being vastly less likely to kill you".

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Sugar has probably definitely killed more people than cigarettes in the last fifty years via heart disease. But no, we're all just a bunch of loving snobs over here.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The only difference between a drug and a poison is dosage

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
The point isn't that soda and McDonalds are equivalent to or even in the same league as cigarettes, it's that the problem of them developing into problematic long-term (or even short-term) habits is much greater than Hasbro/Mattel plastic poo poo.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

gtrmp posted:

Fast food at least technically qualifies as food, even if it is often dangerously unhealthy. Tobacco is an extremely toxic and addictive poison with zero possible beneficial effects other than "it makes you feel good, but not as good as a bunch of other recreational drugs that are totally illegal despite being vastly less likely to kill you".

Tobacco made using the sniper rifle in Metal Gear Solid easier. We can only presume that was based on empirical medical evidence, Konami wouldn't lie to us.

The current poor person junkfood diet in the US is horrifying in regards to its sugar content, though. Theres nothing "natural" as fishmech calls it about eating massive amounts of sugar. Up until the last 100 years it just wasn't something humans did, and its something we've proven completely unable to handle biologically.

With smoking rates dropping like a stone in most of the developed world sugar is on track to be a much bigger health concern for this century.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

xrunner posted:

I mean - on one hand - you're right - food is food. On the other hand, the soft drink and fast food industries heavily engineer their products to create cravings that lead to over-consumption. They also heavily market in ways that get into your head and create lifetime positive associations.
let me help you with this sinister engineering: make things people want to buy e.g. salty and sweet.

so evil.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

let me help you with this sinister engineering: make things people want to buy e.g. salty and sweet.

so evil.

let me help you with this sinister engineering: make cigarettes people want to buy e.g. more nicotine.

so evil.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

xrunner posted:

let me help you with this sinister engineering: make cigarettes people want to buy e.g. more nicotine.

so evil.

you're still trying to 1:1 this?

it's a bad angle and you should admit it

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

so evil.

*looks at rates of obesity and deaths related to heart disease skyrocketing*

Uh yeah, pretty evil.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

xrunner finds himself at an applebees ordering the most gormet food known to man, a quesadilla and a side steak (2 for 20 bitches). When served the salt shaker is bumped and a few grains fall on the steak... eyes dilate. "You are using the same methodology to as the tobacco companies!"

the CEO comes out agrees and applebees can bee no longer and everyone clapped

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

so evil.

You forgot greasy.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Xae posted:

You forgot greasy.
My B, I forgot about this development in 100000 2mil bc

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
This thread is the discourse version of a limbo dance.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This thread is the discourse version of a limbo dance.

Indeed. I'm not even really sure why it's controversial to note that, much like the tobacco industry, (1) food companies carefully engineer their products to promote heavy consumption while disregarding and even actively denying the negative health effects, and (2) food companies heavily market their products using incredibly sophisticated techniques.

I doubt anyone in the food industry is evil or personally lusts for death and disease. They just didn't care if that is the outcome. Again, I think this parallels the tobacco industry pretty nicely.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

poopinmymouth posted:

No there isn't.

Yes there is.

xrunner posted:

Then why are we concerned with malnutrition? For example - here are calls imploring the soft drink industry to include nutrients in their products. Guess if they actually did? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3139541/

I get that part of it is food snobs - and you're absolutely right that plenty of high-end products are just junk food with "organic" or "all natural" or whatever pasted on top of an otherwise lovely product. But - and this can be difficult because it sadly requires a pretty solid income and free time - try home cooking your meals for a month and making sure they're vegetable heavy. Then go eat some prepared food or snack food and you'll be absolutely astounded at how sweet everything tastes because of how much sugar is added.

Edit: And I'm not supporting shaming people who eat fast food or consume soft drinks. We've set up our society and food distribution system for it to make a lot of sense, especially if you're on the lower end of the income scale or have bought into the cult of working too many drat hours. But the actual industry itself is foul, and the products they produce are downright malicious in their intent to flood the market with addictive crappy options that have serious implications for people's health.

You're concerned with malnutrition because you're ignorant mostly? Remember, sodas are already full of nutrients, that's why if you drink a ton you'll get fat.

Engineering food to "create cravings" is called "making it taste good". You also mostly make positive associations by the thing tasting good.

Sugar is a basic component of food and freaking out about it is just being a picky eater. Also "prepared food" is an extremely meaningless term, for starters if you're cooking at home it's prepared food.

Again with the whining about food tasting good instead of halting at some arbritrary level where it doesn't taste good enough. The food really is quite ok, it's just that humans are rarely going to stop eating any food that tastes good at precisely the point they "should" given their level of activity etc throughout the day.

DrNutt posted:

Sugar has probably definitely killed more people than cigarettes in the last fifty years via heart disease. But no, we're all just a bunch of loving snobs over here.

In the same way that oxygen has killed billions of humans, yes. 30 years ago all of you people freaking out about sugar would be hooting and hollering about how fat in food has killed billions of people and we need to cut it back right now (which is exactly what led to increasing the amount of sugar used, most "low fat" preparations of foods switched to carbs of some sort, usually sugars, to keep the stuff tasting good in place of the fats and oils).

OneEightHundred posted:

The point isn't that soda and McDonalds are equivalent to or even in the same league as cigarettes, it's that the problem of them developing into problematic long-term (or even short-term) habits is much greater than Hasbro/Mattel plastic poo poo.

Enjoying the things you eat and drink isn't a problematic habit, Brother Francis.

Blut posted:

The current poor person junkfood diet in the US is horrifying in regards to its sugar content, though. Theres nothing "natural" as fishmech calls it about eating massive amounts of sugar. Up until the last 100 years it just wasn't something humans did, and its something we've proven completely unable to handle biologically.

There is nothing natural about societies having massive abundance of food available to what is now approaching billions of people either.

In places where food is abundant and affordable for most people, everybody is overeating everything, all the food and drink. Attempting to play whack a mole with the primary caloric nutrients of food will never lead anywhere, as previously stated we had the same hoopla people have about "too much sugar!!!" now as we had back over the 70s-90s about "too much fat!!!". Because people want to be able to eat a lot of stuff and have One Weird Trick that if they just avoid thing X they won't get fat.

xrunner posted:

Indeed. I'm not even really sure why it's controversial to note that, much like the tobacco industry, (1) food companies carefully engineer their products to promote heavy consumption while disregarding and even actively denying the negative health effects, and (2) food companies heavily market their products using incredibly sophisticated techniques.

Except you need food to live. And the negative health effects happen uniformly if you eat a whole bunch of food no matter what type it is. This shouldn't be hard to comprehend, except of course tons of people want there to be this mythical "healthy diet" sort of food that you never have to worry about overeating or undereating.

PS again the "incredibly sophisticated techniques" are usually just "let's try this thing that tastes good from elsewhere in globally cuisine" or "put more fat/sugar/salt/spice on that sumbitch".

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

Nope

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

in my life time nutrition has had the following axioms:
cholesterol is bad
carbohydrates are bad
fat is bad
saturated fat is bad
saturated fat is good
transitive fat is bad
transitive fat is good
liquid diets!
you must eat a cultured food every day
carbohydrates are good
multivitamins are good
egg whites are better than yolks
agave nectar is healthier than confection sugar
raw foods are good (lol)
drinking vinegar is good
paleo
gluten is bad
alkaline food is good

For over my lifetime and the lifetime of this fat as gently caress country it's been known that frying a piece of potato and putting salt on it is very good and I can look way up north to see a people who ate almost nothing but blubber and meat and somehow avoided becoming land whales themselves.

xrunner did the legal field also behave in the exact same manner as tobacco once they were able to advertise in 75 or 65?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
look tobacco is garbage that no one should put in their body, but if you want to spend money to die faster and smell/look worse while doing it that's your problem

Maybe let's talk a little Retail Collapse in the thread? I've been waiting on Sears and JCPenney long enough. What's the holdup?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Oh my God I responded to sentient versions of "one day the news says butter's bad, the next day they say use butter! Which is it???"

Good riddance.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Oh my God I responded to sentient versions of "one day the news says butter's bad, the next day they say use butter! Which is it???"

Good riddance.

so which is it? Obviously not bad since it isn't sugar :shrug:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

so which is it? Obviously not bad since it isn't sugar :shrug:

Sugar wasn't an important part of anyone's diet until last century, since you seem hung up on the historicity of foods. You seem really unhinged about all this, do you work for a company that puts soda vending machines in schools or something?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Sugar wasn't an important part of anyone's diet until last century, since you seem hung up on the historicity of foods. You seem really unhinged about all this, do you work for a company that puts soda vending machines in schools or something?

stop deflecting m8 and lol that sugar wasn't important over 100 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

stop deflecting m8 and lol that sugar wasn't important over 100 years ago

By all means, give me a "pucker gun" example of sugar consumption from 100 years ago to own me. As though some historical example of a person consuming sugar means that somehow sugar consumption didn't explode exponentially in the 20th century.

Maybe you could go on a month long diet of soda and candy bars to own me further.