Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
Valve just made a change to their privacy settings, making games owned by Steam users hidden by default. Make sure to update your settings if you use any tools or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

InevitableCheese posted:

Valve just made a change to their privacy settings, making games owned by Steam users hidden by default. Make sure to update your settings if you use any tools or anything.

where is this setting hidden? I'm not finding anything

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Breadallelogram posted:

where is this setting hidden? I'm not finding anything
From your Profile Page:
Edit Profile -> My Privacy Settings

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

InevitableCheese posted:

About time.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
RIP SteamSpy

E: I guess this wasn't the Steam discussion thread, but I've been meaning to mention this:

At the start of the year I got an email from Sony congratulating me on my game time. I had spent 200 hours on some 50ish games, but the top three on the list took up over 100 hours of playtime. It made me realize I had a number of Steam and PS4 games I just bought and only played for a few minutes to an hour at most and I've started an effort to only buy the games I really like.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 11, 2018

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Haven't posted in this thread in a while. I was without an internet connection on my PC for a while, which actually helped me complete a handful of games since I was stuck with the ones I had installed and couldn't just download games whenever the whim hit.

BEATEN: System Shock 2 - Great game that has aged well, I can see how it has influenced all sorts of games over the years. I'd been playing it on and off for a couple of years, mainly because I kinda suck at it, but once I got to the 4th deck or so, I was able to power through it to the end and had a blast.

BEATEN: Deus Ex - Another classic. I'd tried it out a few times in the past, but I always got bogged down in the tedious first level. It gets better as it goes along though. The ending I went for (JC merging with the AI) felt a bit lackluster and I didn't feel like redoing the last level to get the other two, but otherwise worth finishing.

BEATEN: Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine - This is an awesome couch co-op game. Finished all of the levels with the help of a friend, it was great to just have a bunch of beers and make our way chaotically through the levels, constantly having to rescue each other when our on-the-whim plans went haywire. The competitive multiplayer maps were pretty cool too, wish there were more of them. Unfortunately, since I wasn't connected to the internet when doing all this, I've seemed to have lost my progress now that I have internet again.

MONEY'S WORTH: LA Noire - Finished through the murder desk and the first Vice mystery, but as much as I had been enjoying the game, it's becoming tedious. The story and the mysteries themselves are still interesting, and the interrogations are alright (though some of them I have no idea how to tell which option the developers considered the correct one), but searching crime-scenes has become tedious, and I dread any time an action scene pops up. I do appreciate that the game progresses even if you suck, allowing you to skip action scenes after a few failures and allowing the case continue even if you mess up the interogations. But at this point, I think I'd rather just watch/read a mystery series, or maybe watch an LP of the remaining cases. Still a worthwhile game though.

NULLED: The Darkness II - Got this one free on the Humble store, but there was really nothing about it I enjoyed, and the first boss fight with the wrecking ball annoyed me too much.

MORE PROGRESS: Neverwinter Nights 2 - Pretty sure I've posted about this one a few times in the thread already, I have a love-hate relationship with it. It's been more on the 'love' side lately though, and so made some progress on the main campaign on a new character (I might have even finished if I had been playing my existing save, but I had no idea where I was on that one so wanted to start fresh). Haven't been playing as much the last couple of weeks, but I actually have hope that I might actually finally finish it one of these days!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
BEATEN: Batman: Arkham Origins. - I beat this before on the Xbox and now, like then, I didn't enjoy it as much as it's fellow Arkham entries. It's serviceable if you love these games, but coming back to it after Arkham Knight certainly didn't do any favors.

NULLED: Shadow Warrior (2013) - I played the sequel first the gameplay was to much of a step down to keep me playing.

NULLED: Killing Floor 2 - I feel bad nulling this since a friend gifted it to me, but I never got into the Left4Dead-style games and I also don't have anyone else to play a 4-coop game with.

NULLED: Resident Evil 4 - The control system is so wonky I couldn't get through the first level.

PLAYING: Alien: Isolation - I just finished mission 2 and the atmosphere, sound, lighting, and setting are all excellent so far. I've been kept on the edge of my seat. I turn around at unexpected noises, move slowly into next areas. A game hasn't made me so tense since the first Bioshock when I was younger.

PLAYING: Neverwinter Nights 2 - I'm not very far in, mostly due to false starts as I made different characters before settling on one, but so far it's a typical Bioware/Obsidian RPG of the period. Which is a positive for me since I love KOTOR 1&2. One downside which will hopefully fade in time is the control system is clearly made for PCs and more complex than the KOTOR games were.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OhFunny posted:

PLAYING: Neverwinter Nights 2 - I'm not very far in, mostly due to false starts as I made different characters before settling on one, but so far it's a typical Bioware/Obsidian RPG of the period. Which is a positive for me since I love KOTOR 1&2. One downside which will hopefully fade in time is the control system is clearly made for PCs and more complex than the KOTOR games were.

There are mods to improve the UI for Neverwinter 2.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I did install a mod to make the UI, dialogue boxes, and such bigger since they were to small at 1440p.

It's more that the movement and camera feel difficult to control at times. Especially when indoors. I was in Highcliff Castle Ruins and getting my party stuck in the doorways trying to engage enemies. The indoor enivorments definitely feel more designed for the old isometric style. Where I was using the follow character node.

The chief annoyance was party members sprinting out of rooms after clearing them and [I]all[/] the way down the hall to fight an enemy out there.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

OhFunny posted:

NULLED: Resident Evil 4 - The control system is so wonky I couldn't get through the first level.

Are you using a controller? I hate to see one of my top five nulled. =( I’ll admit it’s a bit dated, though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RE4 is at least balanced well around its limitations. You move faster than enemies and they're very slow to attack. Quick turn, put some distance, quick turn, pop one in the head or knee then roundhouse the poo poo out of them. Explosives and other traps are placed liberally so use them. Choke points where enemies have to leap across gaps or drop down ledges are also common and one of the best ways to tackle the opening siege is by getting into the two story house (triggering chainsaw man) and climbing onto the roof where every enemy has to approach you one by one and a single shot usually sends them tumbling off the roof to instant death.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Finished : Assassin's Creed Brotherhood: Never actually have I managed to finish any of the AC games despite having played a few of them. These games try to aim for everything and miss on most of it. It's platforming isn't good as Prince of Persia, stealth isn't as advanced as Splinter Cell, open world isn't as good as RPGs or other sandboxs like GTA/Saint rows. There isn't really any focus in these games. The assassinating can be pretty fun once you get a few upgrades but all the other systems are so underdeveloped the game. The guild system is pretty cool, you can call your assassins at any time to take out a poor fool. Ezio is a cool character and I am a sucker for historical settings in fiction so that was enough for me despite the gameplay loop being pretty simple.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Beat: Steamworld Dig 2: I don't like Castlevania, and was never big on metroid, so I thought "wow, metroidvania, must be a poo poo genre". I beat/played Dig 1 without thinking about it, but about halfway through playing SD2, I thought to myself, "hmm, this has all the hallmarks people describe metroidvanias as". Turns out I like (at least this one) metroidvania. About 8.5 hrs to initial clear, with another hour mopping up the rest of the secrets. I did not and do not intend to do the trials(because the first time I tried, I got skillness immediately and quit. I'd hate to run into later in the sequence). I got it free through Twitch Prime so I don't know if I'd pay whatever it sells for now, but otherwise would recommend!

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Ulio posted:

Finished : Assassin's Creed Brotherhood: Never actually have I managed to finish any of the AC games despite having played a few of them. These games try to aim for everything and miss on most of it. It's platforming isn't good as Prince of Persia, stealth isn't as advanced as Splinter Cell, open world isn't as good as RPGs or other sandboxs like GTA/Saint rows. There isn't really any focus in these games. The assassinating can be pretty fun once you get a few upgrades but all the other systems are so underdeveloped the game. The guild system is pretty cool, you can call your assassins at any time to take out a poor fool. Ezio is a cool character and I am a sucker for historical settings in fiction so that was enough for me despite the gameplay loop being pretty simple.

I had fun climbing trees in AC:3 but really Black Flag was the one I actually could play alot of, sailing around was just so much fun for me.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

InevitableCheese posted:

Are you using a controller? I hate to see one of my top five nulled. =( I’ll admit it’s a bit dated, though.

I tried it with both controller and mouse and keyboard, but it just didn't feel right :/

BEATEN: BRÜTAL LEGEND: - I decided to knock this one out ahead of the other games I was playing since it is rather short. Which also would be my chief complaint of it. The pacing of the story goes into overdrive after the midway point and rushes straight to the end. This resulted in a criminal under use of Tim Curry who voices the final boss. I understand Double Fine wanted the game to be twice as long as intended, but weren't able to reach that goal. Gameplay-wise this is a hybrid hack'n'slash/RTS with a sand box world. I didn't really enjoy this hybrid system, but it played well enough, and driving through the world was fun. I loved Jack Black's voice acting. Overall it's a decent game.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Completed - Yono and the Celestial Elephants (played on Switch): I bought this game because it was one of the first games available in the Nintendo Switch eShop, and at the time, I wanted something to play that wasn't Zelda. I clearly took way too long to actually play it because there are much better games out for the platform now.

It looked cute, and the trailer made it seem interesting. It ended up being very mediocre, and pretty short. The game is definitely intended for children, as the combat is a joke and the sliding block puzzles are easily solved. The thing that really bothered me was that the writing tried super hard to seem smart in a philosophical way and just missed the mark entirely. The elephant you play as is super cute, though, and you can buy costumes to make it even cuter - so there's that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

COMPLETED: Mini Metro. Again! Since I played it last, they added new levels and cheevos, so I dove back in and proved that yes, I am a master at this game. :black101:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Skwirl posted:

On that note, is there a good modpack for Neverwinter 2? I see a lot of mods I think would be good together but ultimately they all require so much fiddly poo poo that everything in my lovely knowhow falls apart. I just want my lovely looking lovely feeling game to feel less lovely :(

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

StrixNebulosa posted:

COMPLETED: Mini Metro. Again! Since I played it last, they added new levels and cheevos, so I dove back in and proved that yes, I am a master at this game. :black101:

:hfive:

Saved Auckland for last, ended up with... 1522 I think it was. What helped a lot for the last three cities I needed (Berlin, Cairo and Auckland) was when I realized how useful it is to keep 1-2 lines unused as spares, so you can instantly relieve overcrowding by just drawing a line between two stations, then immediately canceling it once the train leaves the station. It finishes the trip (hopefully a short one) and promptly goes back to your stable for the next job.

Been a while since I posted here cause I don't have much of a backlog these days, but here's a quick roundup of the last couple of months or so:

Risen 3 - Titan Lords: Definitely the best of the series, but it remains a Piranha Bytes game. All their best qualities are on display but the worst ones as well. One thing I found curious is how much easier it was than their previous titles, probably because you're always with a companion who takes the heat off you. You don't often get stomped into the ground as you would in their other games.
Rakuen: Super lovely and heartwarming. Games are in urgent need of more moms. A few mechanical niggles as a result of the engine, but nothing that's a dealbreaker.
Spec Ops: The Line: Finally played it. It's decent fun and has some gorgeous vistas.
The Witch's Isle: A short adventure game that has some interesting mechanics. Definitely worth a look.
Action Henk: Not a fan of the action figure aesthetic but the gameplay's tight and a lot of fun if you're into time trials.
JYDGE: Good fun but overall unremarkable. Nothing wrong with that necessarily, though.
The 11th Hour: Awful but at least I can say I've played it now. Potentially tolerable if you're into cryptic crosswords, but I abhor them.
The Darkness II: Kind of a stereotypically dumb videogame, but a decent romp for six hours.
Layers of Fear: I sort of knew to expect more of a haunted house than proper horror, and I think that expectation ensured that 99% of the scares didn't really work for me. It was okay, though. I like that there are multiple endings and what you get is affected by how you react to events and what you focus on over the course of the game.
The Little Acre: Very charming with great art and animation, but short and lightweight as an adventure. I liked it.
Mini Metro: Yeah, it's great.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I wonder if this will copy over correctly.

I finally beat 100 games since I started keeping track of them!

Date Title System
1 Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance XBox 360
2 Fallout 3 XBox 360
3 Diablo III XBox 360
4 Gears of War XBox 360
5 Brutal Legend XBox 360
6 Saint's Row 2 XBox 360
7 12/15/14 Red Dead Redemption XBox 360
8 12/28/14 Assassin's Creed II XBox 360
9 01/07/15 Bioshock 2 XBox 360
10 01/09/15 Witcher 2, The XBox 360
11 01/22/15 Dead Space XBox 360
12 Borderlands XBox 360
13 01/29/15 Bioshock Infinite XBox 360
14 01/31/15 Just Cause 2 XBox 360
15 02/09/15 L.A. Noire XBox 360
16 02/24/15 Fallout: New Vegas XBox 360
17 03/13/15 Saint's Row: The Third XBox 360
18 03/18/15 Far Cry 2 XBox 360
19 03/30/15 Borderlands 2 XBox 360
20 04/20/15 Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel XBox 360
21 04/26/15 Grand Theft Auto V XBox 360
22 05/24/15 Legend of Grimrock PC
23 06/17/15 You Must Build A Boat PC
24 06/17/15 Portal PC
25 07/01/15 Portal 2 PC
26 07/02/15 Hotline: Miami PC
27 07/10/15 Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood XBox 360
28 07/20/15 Assassin's Creed: Revelations XBox 360
29 08/19/15 Organ Trail PC
30 08/20/15 Super Amazing Wagon Adventure PC
31 08/29/15 Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 1 PC
32 08/31/15 Halo PC
33 09/06/15 Halo 2 PC
34 09/10/15 Peggle PC
35 09/11/15 Crimsonland PC
36 09/13/15 Beyond Good and Evil PC
37 09/13/15 Evoland PC
38 09/13/15 60 Seconds PC
39 09/27/15 Might and Magic X: Legacy PC
40 10/04/15 Hotline: Miami 2: Wrong Number PC
41 10/08/15 Reverse Crawl PC
42 10/17/15 EvilQuest PC
43 10/21/15 Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes XBox 360
44 10/30/15 Halfway PC
45 11/15/15 Return to Castle Wolfenstein PC
46 12/07/15 Prey PC
47 12/11/15 Max Payne 3 PC
48 12/21/15 To The Moon PC
49 12/28/15 Fallout 4 PC
50 01/07/16 Dragon Quest Heroes PC
51 01/12/16 Avernum: Escape From the Pit PC
52 01/15/16 Undertale PC
53 01/16/16 Crisis PC
54 01/21/16 Starcraft II PC
55 01/25/16 Retro/Grade PC
56 02/05/16 Alien: Isolation PC
57 02/16/16 Mad Max PC
58 02/26/16 Red Faction: Guerrilla Warfare PC
59 02/28/16 Never Alone PC
60 03/18/16 Wasteland 2 PC
61 03/22/16 Far Cry 3 PC
62 03/25/16 Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker PSP
63 04/09/06 Saint's Row IV PC
64 04/15/16 Saint's Row: Gat Out of Hell PC
65 04/26/16 Serious Sam 3: BFE PC
66 05/01/16 One Finger Death Punch PC
67 05/08/16 Pillars of Eternity PC
68 05/12/16 Frederic: Resurrection of Music PC
69 05/25/16 Shadow Warrior PC
70 06/03/16 Mini Metro PC
71 06/07/16 Metro 2033 Redux PC
72 06/07/16 Dawn of Souls: Final Fantasy I GBA
73 06/08/16 Final Fantasy: Theatrhythm – Curtain Call 3DS
74 06/17/16 Planetary Annihilation: TITANS PC
75 06/23/16 Bionic Commando PC
76 06/30/16 South Park: The Stick of Truth PC
77 07/03/16 Homeworld: Remastered PC
78 07/12/16 F.E.A.R. PC
79 07/13/16 Papers, Please PC
80 07/19/16 FEAR: Extraction Point PC
81 07/25/16 FEAR: Perseus Mandate PC
82 07/28/16 Parasite Eve PS1
83 08/07/16 Alpha Protocol PC
84 08/08/16 Duke Nukem Forever PC
85 08/10/16 Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War II PC
86 08/23/16 Ogre Tactcs: Let Us Stick Together PSP
87 08/28/16 Dawn of Souls: Final Fantasy II GBA
88 08/29/16 Tomb Raider PC
89 08/30/16 Assassin's Creed III XBox 360
90 09/22/16 Xcom: Enemy Within PC
91 09/24/16 Beyond Two Souls PS3
92 09/24/16 Super Hot PC
93 10/02/16 Spec Ops: The Line PC
94 10/08/16 Beginner's Guide, The PC
95 10/24/16 Shogun 2: Total War PC
96 11/08/16 Darksiders PC
97 11/10/16 Grim Dawn PC
98 11/11/16 Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor PC
99 11/16/16 Epistory – Typing Chronicles PC
100 12/12/16 Banner Saga, The PC
101 12/19/16 Final Fantasy: All The Bravest Mobile
102 12/25/16 Warhammer End Times: Vermintide PC
103 12/26/16 Uncharted: Drake's Fortune PS3
104 01/25/17 Hand of Fate PC
Xcom 2 PC
105 02/20/17 Final Fantasy VIII PS1
106 World of Final Fantasy PS4
107 Final Fantasy XV PS4
108 06/09/17 Final Fantasy X-2 PS2
109 06/18/17 Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons PC
110 07/04/17 Assault Android Cactus PC
111 07/06/17 Plague Inc. PC
112 07/06/17 Steamworld Dig PC
113 08/04/17 The Last Guardian PS4
114 08/12/17 Dead Rising 2 PC
115 08/26/17 Doom PC
116 10/01/17 Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past 3DS
117 10/02/17 Invisible Inc. PC
118 10/02/17 Far Cry Primal PC
119 10/14/17 Doki Doki Literature Club PC
120 12/07/17 Monster Hunter: Stories 3DS
121 01/01/18 Diablo III: Reaper of Souls PS4
122 01/10/18 Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions 3DS
123 01/16/18 The Last Story Wii
124 01/29/18 Rise of the Tomb Raider PC
125 02/05/18 Xenoblade Chronicles 3DS
126 02/06/18 Brigador PC

It also turns out that I accomplished this actually a long time ago but I was looking at the wrong numbers :confused:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

credburn posted:

I wonder if this will copy over correctly.

I finally beat 100 games since I started keeping track of them!

Congrats! That's some top tier gaming.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Finally upgraded my desktop PC to Windows 10. This was celebrated by finishing some games.

Finished: 12 Labours of Hercules VII: Fleecing the Fleece
Time/Resource casual management game. No new mechanics, so it's basically just more of the same, which is fine, as it's a fun type of game.

Finished: A Way Out
Kragger had bought this, so I grabbed the client, got an invite from him, and voila, free game!
It's a fun co-op game though I didn't really care for how they set up the ending.

Finished: Atlantis Sky Patrol
Old school Zuma clone, where you earn credits to upgrade your skills. It's old so resolution is only 800*600, but perfectly fine.

Finished: Battlefield 3
Ugh, a bad CoD clone with a few OK missions. Also trying to clear up my Origin backlog because that is actually manageable.

Nulled: Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition
A casual of the great OS upgrade of Spring 2018. I had 17 hours on it, and enjoyed what I played, but felt I needed to move on as I hadn't played for a while.
Would rather do some coop in DOS 2 soon, than getting burned out on this.

Finished: Far Cry 5
Really fun open world shooter game. Story is way more stupid than I had feared and the ending makes no sense at all.

Finished: Grow Home
Lovely platformer you shouldn't play if you have a fear of heights.

Nulled: Hellfront: Honeymoon
I got a free key for this alpha, done by the adventure developers behind The Journey Down. They needed to do something new, but I'm not sure a top down shooter was the right choice.
It's still early in development, so a lot can change, but it didn't grab me.

Finished: Sparkle 2
Another Zuma clone, that's a up-to-date in both having hires gfx, unlocking new game modes, and generally being very well polished.

Fart of Presto fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 29, 2018

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Fart of Presto posted:

Finished: Grow Home
Lovely platformer you shouldn't play if you have a fear of heights.

Beat this one last year, and I have a bad fear of heights. Definitely set me off until I got used to it, but I would just look around my office for a bit to detach. Fun game though!

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Yeah, I usually don't have a fear of heights, but definitely got sweaty palms during several moments throughout the game.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Nulled - 99 Vidas (PS4): This was not a fun beat 'em up. I played on normal with my brother, and we both ended up getting frustrated with it at Stage 4. I'm not sure if the controls just weren't clicking with me or if I missed a core gameplay element, but it felt sloppy. If an enemy can break my combo, I should be able to break theirs. If an enemy can stun lock me with simple punches, I should be able to do the same to them. Also, don't have a boss that can teleport right next to you, shoot you, and then teleport away before you know what hit you.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

APRIL GAMES:
#41: Infamous First Light (3-4hrs)
- Very enjoyable compact little superhero game. Not sure why the low metacritic score. I thought it was fun, pretty, and engaging. Maybe the skill trees aren't the best, but, eh.
#42: Shadwen (5-6 hours) - Stealth puzzle game where time freezes when you aren't moving. You can also rewind time. The general gist is to escort a child from point A to point B without being caught or seeing all the murder you're doing to clear a path. It's just okay and the levels get really samey after a while.
#43: Watch_Dogs 1 (15 hours) - What a mess of a game this was. A lot of good and bad ideas that do not come together. The constant chase sequences are awful awful awful. Reducing hacking to just a door unlock device is so uninspired as well.
#44: Minecraft Story Mode Episode 1: (2.5hr) - I debated whether I'd count individual episodes of Telltale games as their own game, until I saw above that I already did that for Miss Fisher, so here we are. This series seems more tailored for kids than all ages, and it has really weird rear end combat. I'm not sure whether I will continue or not.
#45: The Order 1886 (6 hours) - Another trashy mess but at least it's beautiful as gently caress.
#46: The Park (1.5 hours) - Trashy walking sim spun off from The Secret World. It's a bit mystifying that the people who made TSW made this, as TSW is generally praised solely for its storytelling, and the story in The Park is a long fart.
#47: The Inpatient (2.5 hours) - Vaguely branching VR horror game by the makers of Until Dawn. Thankfully, despite being in an asylum, it does not become an Outlast-style tropefest. I liked it, although the ending left something to be desired.
#48: Batman: Arkham Knight (15 hours) - Improved gameplay and traversal from City, awful awful awful awful awful awful awful story.
#49: Dragon Quest Heroes (20 hours) - Action-heavy Musou game... not much in the way of strategy or territorial control in this one. Definitely not for everyone.
#50: The Invisible Hours (4 hours) - Wonderful walking simulator, combining the mechanics of Tacoma with a murder mystery. Apparently this is by the makers of The Sexy Brutale?? I'll have to play that too.
#51: Phil's Epic Fill-a-Pix Adventure (many hours) - Despite its low budget presentation, this is a very good collection of fill-a-pix puzzles and I'll miss it now that I've finished it.
#52: The Evil Within (13 hours) - Yes, there's a lot of bullshit and insta-kills in the game, but I still enjoyed the Evil Within quite a bit. The storytelling is hit and miss but a real trip when you're waist deep in it. I dunno whether the stealth of this game or of The Last of Us is worse, but whatever.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

First Light is only 4 hours? I may throw that near the top of my queue. Second Son is my only Infamous, but I really enjoyed it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah, the only way to exceed that length is to do side stuff, which I didn't really care about. I just played the main story.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Evil Within is definitely better stealth because the player is always clued in when enemies are made aware of you. The Last of Us will pull random bullshit like having an enemy turn around because you triggered something or another at the edge of the level, and various other bits of tomfoolery. Every infected area is designed to be stealthed unless explicitly not but human areas you can sneak to the end then five guys will jump a wall to attack you.

I actually liked the stealth, felt like the proper way to play. The crossbow is bonkers good and the level design incorporates a lot of natural traps and chokepoints. I'm really struggling through the sequel because the levels are bland, featureless, and enemies just rush you swinging wildly.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BEATEN: Watch_Dogs

My ill-advised sale purchases are my cross to bear, but I was really not happy when my Steam randomiser told me I should be playing Watch_Dogs this month. Everything I heard about it said it was rubbish, but I figured forcing myself through games like this is an excellent way of making me think twice about what to buy on a whim in sales.

Anyhows, the consensus on this game is pretty accurate. It's a paint-by-numbers open world game with very little personality, no clear creative vision and nothing to set it apart from the crowd. It's actually kind of impressive how badly conceived hero Aiden Pearce is - he's completely repellent, enormously hypocritical, self-obsessed and the worst dressed videogame character since Alan Wake. His motivation is that his sister and nephew are being terrorised by gangsters angry at you, yet at every step Aiden makes their lives much much worse.

The nadir is when you're "rescuing" his sister - this involves Aiden safely hanging around outside the warehouse she's being kept in, hacking into the cameras and guiding her past armed guards. He tells her to grab a gun and defend herself: she shoots a guy and immediately begins freaking out that she's murdered someone and wants to call him an ambulance. Aiden is all "whatever, he was a bad guy" while she silently breaks down. He's such a prick that you assume he's going to get his comeuppance at the end, but after ruining his sister's life and causing her to have to abandon her house, job and city she gives him a hug and a smile and heads off to parts unknown. There's even one point where he murders a guy in cold blood by hacking his pacemaker, after which he says "I know I should be wondering whether I've done the right thing, but I really don't care".. I would really love to hear why Ubisoft thought that this joyless gently caress could be their next Ezio Auditore.

The only real way to stomach the game is to actively play Aiden as a psycho rear end in a top hat. So most of my missions involved me ignoring stealth and walking through the front door of buildings with a grenade launcher, brutally executing everyone I could.

Having said all that I quite enjoyed escaping from the cops in the game, which is essentially car-based Metal Gear Solid. That's about it for positive qualities: the licensed soundtrack is terrible, the graphics are nothing to write home about, the game's Chicago has no personality, the 'hacking' is basically magic and well... don't play Watch_Dogs is my advice.

Is it worth playing the sequel? I've heard its way better than this.

BEATEN: Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Needed something to kill time on a long haul flight so picked this up. I was pretty sceptical of it as I really don't like the rabbids and an Ubisoft-developed squad-based Mario shooter sounds a bit iffy. But the reviews were good and my choices in the airport were limited so I took the plunge. Glad I did because it's really good.

The game simplifies the XCOM blueprint without making it less satisfying, primarily by cutting away a lot of the chance elements. For example, when you aim at an enemy you will only ever have a 0%, 50% or 100% chance to hit them, which neatly gets rid of the frustration. In its place are more complex movement options, with characters able to daisychain jumps off each other and travel through pipes to move around the battlefield easily (this actually reminded me much more of Chroma Squad than XCOM). That and the interesting character skills that compliment one another (Luigi's upgraded Steely Stare combined with the 'Bounce' modifier is lethal as gently caress) make it really satisfying to play.

And it turns out that the rabbids are actually pretty funny - especially Rabbid Peach. Plus the game has a very Banjo Kazooie-esque soundtrack by Grant Kirkhope, it's got a weirdly literate script and contains a sequence where Mario is pissed on by a giant rabbid statue. My only real criticism is that the 'bonus' challenges you get when you clear a level don't scale - after beating the final boss I went back to try some and my characters were ridiculously overpowered.

BEATEN: Devil May Cry

Got the DMC HD Collection when it was released on Steam last month as I was curious how these games hold up. I got the first DMC on release in 2001 and it kicked my rear end so bad I could only complete it on Easy Automatic. I figured that with nearly two decades of character action games under my belt I might do a bit better now - and I did. Despite having a reputation for difficulty I didn't have too much trouble beating this (Air Raid trivialises most encounters if you're in a pinch). Despite the fixed camera and what now feels like limited combat options, I think it holds up. It's camp as gently caress, but Dante is still cool in a very 90s sort of way and just feels slick to play. I had forgotten that you fight each boss three or four times each, but they're fun enough (especially Nelo Angelo) so not really a flaw.

Plan to play through the entire HD Collection, so next up is DMC2. It can't be that bad, can it?

BEATEN: Street Fighter III: Third Strike (Dreamcast)

aka the one Street Fighter I'm actually pretty loving good at. Played a tonne of this with my friends back in the early 2000s and I adore almost everything about it. It's weighty, tactical, responsive as hell and I actually really like the new cast (though Twelve and Necro feel like they've escaped from Darkstalkers). Been working my way through the entire SF franchise, so played through Arcade mode with every character (and actually got good at beating Gill - the secret is to bait his super before he uses resurrection). Unfortunately my current group of friends don't put up much of a fight - when I tried to get them inte the game over a couple of beers it didn't go down very well. I'll probably pick up the Street Fighter Collection coming to Steam soon and play online a bit, where I'll presumably be humbled by people whose skills are way beyond mine.

I genuinely think this is the greatest fighting ever, and this replay has cemented that. It's definitely got some of the best sprite art ever.

BEATEN: Armello

A digital board game tossed up by the randomiser. The King is dying and four players move around a map earning prestige points by completing tasks and fighting one another, when the King dies the player with the most wins. It looks slick, plays well and a lot of thought has gone into the rules. But it's a bit hamstrung by not having local multiplayer (annoyingly enough it claims it has, but what it actually means is that you can play it over LAN). Your choices are either to play it against the iffy AI or play online. I did a couple of rounds online, but you end up spending most of your time sitting around not doing anything waiting for your turn, and players seemed to drop out of matches when it becomes apparent things aren't going their way. Anyway, won a few times but can't see myself playing much more. Would have been fun hotseating it with a controller around a TV if that were an option - not sure why you can't tbh.

BEATEN: P.T. (PS4)

Had this sitting around on my system for years, and became a bit paranoid that it'll accidentally get deleted and I wouldn't ever be able to play it properly. Man, I can't believe how much content and atmosphere Kojima and his team fit into 40 feet of corridor. The game is a masterclass in nervous tension, lighting and sound design - and it's only amplified by how weird it is to actually complete. According to guides, you have to do things like scream insanely into a microphone, wear headphones and allow yourself to become 'possessed' by a ghost that you can hear but not see, whisper "Jarith" at certain times and stare at objects while things rustle behind you. It's an intensely weird and unique game that makes Silent Hills cancellation all the more annoying. Perhaps the best demo ever?

BEATEN: Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad

Iffy sequel to the enjoyably mindless first Shock Troopers game. Essentially a top-down Metal Slug, you battle through an army and blow up stuff. The first game had nice sprite art, but this goes for the Donkey Kong Country tactic of creating its sprites from CG renders and doesn't look anywhere near as good as a result. Plus the playable characters are down to four, from eight in the previous one. It's also unfairly difficult, even for a coin-munching arcade game. But you can beat it in an hour so I got through it.

NULLED: The Nightmare Cooperative

Minimalist rogue-lite that feels like something borne of a game jam. You navigate through randomly generated dungeons collecting treasure and avoiding monsters. I kind of appreciate the thinking behind it, but didn't particularly enjoy playing it at any point. Played it for an hour and kicked it to the curb.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 11:14 on May 2, 2018

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

glad she is dead posted:

BEATEN: Watch_Dogs

There's even one point where he murders a guy in cold blood by hacking his pacemaker, after which he says "I know I should be wondering whether I've done the right thing, but I really don't care".. I would really love to hear why Ubisoft thought that this joyless gently caress could be their next Ezio Auditore.

The one mostly-coherent throughline of Watchdogs is that Aiden is clearly intended to be a hosed up rear end in a top hat, which is why the plot is nothing but him making everything worse and doing morally questionable and hypocritical stuff. That scene is actually one of the few things the game executes pretty well, IMO. Also given the context, I'm not sure I'd go as far as to call it cold-blooded, even if it's still morally ambiguous like everything else.

glad she is dead posted:

Is it worth playing the sequel? I've heard its way better than this.

Pretty much, yeah. The new cast is infinitely more likeable than Aiden and it has more personality. The new mechanics are at least all good ideas if not executed perfectly. I found it overall a bit hollow and messy, but I'm apparently in the minority on that. If you like causing chaos and getting up to shenanigans in open world games, you can do a hell of a lot worse.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 2, 2018

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

The one mostly-coherent throughline of Watchdogs is that Aiden is clearly intended to be a hosed up rear end in a top hat

And how!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

glad she is dead posted:

Plus the game has a very Banjo Kazooie-esque soundtrack by Grant Kirkhope,

My favorite part of the soundtrack is when it breaks into Donkey Kong tracks, which sound insanely familiar because he already has composed Donkey Kong music.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

glad she is dead posted:

BEATEN: Devil May Cry

Got the DMC HD Collection when it was released on Steam last month as I was curious how these games hold up. I got the first DMC on release in 2001 and it kicked my rear end so bad I could only complete it on Easy Automatic. I figured that with nearly two decades of character action games under my belt I might do a bit better now - and I did. Despite having a reputation for difficulty I didn't have too much trouble beating this (Air Raid trivialises most encounters if you're in a pinch). Despite the fixed camera and what now feels like limited combat options, I think it holds up. It's camp as gently caress, but Dante is still cool in a very 90s sort of way and just feels slick to play. I had forgotten that you fight each boss three or four times each, but they're fun enough (especially Nelo Angelo) so not really a flaw.

Plan to play through the entire HD Collection, so next up is DMC2. It can't be that bad, can it?

DMC2 was one my first ps2 games and the game that introduced me to the DMC series. Been a fan since but I can admit it is a very flawed game. The enemy, boss design and level design are all very uninspired. The story makes no sense and lost all the charm of the original and Dante isn't your lovable conniving rascal but a more moody somber older dude. The one thing is that the combat is still decent and they added different types of devil forms which you can choose with specific stones you collect which they never brought back in the sequels despite it being a cool idea.

It's definitely the black sheep of an otherwise great franchise even the Ninja Theory DmC game is well liked.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
COMPLETED: Waking Mars, with all achievements and a preserved maximum biomass in all chambers. I guess I don't regret playing it, but it's a weird combination of passive and actiony that requires a certain mindset. I played it in bursts. The endgame—especially if you were going for the special ending—is really obtuse and sufficiently buggy that I had to read the developer's notes on the Steam forums to make them happen.

POKED AT: Earthworm Jim. Beat EWJ or at least got close to it as a kid on the Genesis; tried it out on the PC version which I seem to have picked up somewhere. Shifting to a more powerful audio chip did them no favors - the individual parts sound way better but since the actual gameplay is full of shrieking and squawking and mooing and generally being a parody of obnoxious Saturday morning cartoons, the whole effect is lessened. Less is more.

POKED AT: Jazz Jackrabbit. Didn't play this as a kid, but I recognize that it was a big deal for a reason. Thing is, run-and-gun really doesn't work at Sonic speeds; enemies aren't on screen for long enough and when your cool weapons are ammo-limited you can't just keep a wall of bullets in front of you.

BEATEN: Where the Water Tastes Like Wine. It's about as good as everyone said, which is to say, I'm really glad I played it but it rides the ragged edge of "can I actually recommend this" and that comes out to "no, no I can't, not as is." As a grim tapestry of the desperate haunted melancholy of the American experience, 1930-1980 or so, it is absolutely fabulous. The soundtrack is the best game soundtrack I've heard in a long, long time. The general things you're doing in-fiction at any given time are straight out of a Tim Powers novel. But the execution fails on some extremely basic levels and constantly undercuts the play experience in jarring and totally unnecessary ways. They could bring the game up past my "do not recommend" level without altering a single word of text with some basic gameplay polish, and I hope in the coming months they actually do this. My short list: The whistling mechanic should be rigged so you whistle along with the soundtrack instead of ducking the soundtrack and then conflicting with it. Procgenned text should be sanity-checked so that, for instance, when someone says their path takes them west they actually go west. The rendering engine is basic but still needs an optimization pass to run without occasional horrific frameskipping on modest hardware.

Despite all that I played through it with a mighty hunger and when I finished it I spent the next three or four days just thinking about the stories the game told and putting them together and matching them to Actual History instead of playing more videogames.

Then I decided to play a game about stick figure cowboys.

BEATEN: West of Loathing. Unlike WtWTLW, this one actually hits what it aims at and manages to nail the landing. It's a fairly light RPG in the Costume Quest vein, set in a slightly teched-up version of the Kingdom of Loathing browser game. I played through as a Snake Oiler and mostly let the game level me up except when I knew I wanted to crank up my Hornswogglin' skill to skip some combats. A lot of combats end up skippable, at least as a Snake Oiler. The challenge mechanics also worked very well for me. I'm not much for RPGs, and you'd normally think that putting in even less gameplay would make me more impatient, but it never overstayed its welcome. It's also got a fantastically appropriate soundtrack, and it's by the same guy as the guy that did the soundtrack for WtWTLW, which is funnier to me than it probably should be.

There's a ton of long optional quest chains too; I got a few of them but there's at least one I made basically no progress on and that I'll end up focusing on if I do a replay later.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Beat - Oxenfree: I didn't know much about this game going in - just that it was highly recommended by a friend. It turns out it is an interactive story presented as a pseudo-2d platformer-ish way. The graphics were good, the gameplay was fun, and the soundtrack was very atmospheric. The story and cut scenes had me sufficiently creeped out at every turn. This game was very well made. I only played through it once but I imagine there are several possible outcomes depending on the choices you make / things you say (it is, after all, a game made by former Telltale devs).

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Beat?: Moon Hunters: a wonderful coop hack 'n slash that use the decisions you make to build a constellation-related myth. It's a neat game, with every subsequent playthrough unlocking more things or having previous heroes' names appear as new myths and poo poo people are talking about. The problem is, after three runs, the final boss becomes available and my girlfriend and I killed him really quickly on our first try. Consequently, we were greeted to a never ending line of epilogues for characters we never met. I think we beat the game like ten hours too early.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Beat Card City Nights. Instant favorite. :love: It has such a great atmosphere between the art style and character designs (which are the same as in Ittle Dew), writing and music, really sells the whole hazy summer nights feel. I'm mostly rubbish at deck-building cause I tend to get lost amidst the dozens and dozens of cards, synergies and strategies, but had a lot of fun trying different decks and working through the campaign. Unsurprisingly, a hyper-aggressive deck will mostly carry you through, though there are a few curveballs thrown in there as well. Also got all the achievements and did some post-game content. Just the loveliest game really.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Glare Seethe posted:

Beat Card City Nights. Instant favorite. :love:

I've been doing a challenge-mode replay of the sequel, which I think is actually even better at it. It's more sophisticated as a card game, since you share a board now, but it's also got the character silliness down cold too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

ManxomeBromide posted:

I've been doing a challenge-mode replay of the sequel, which I think is actually even better at it. It's more sophisticated as a card game, since you share a board now, but it's also got the character silliness down cold too.

I wishlisted the hell out of the sequel, yeah. I'll almost certainly get it in the summer sale. I watched some gameplay and my only concern is that it might lose something in the transition from city to space, cause I really enjoyed the summer nights atmosphere of the first. But a lot seems improved - particularly the UI, I think. In CCN you can't even delete unnecessary decks to free up cards for recycling / alchemy, for example. Hell you can't even empty a deck card-by-card because if you don't have the minimum 25 cards in it it doesn't allow you to save your changes.

The shared board hopefully means there's now a use for all those Apathetic Frog cards!

This totally put me in a Ludosity mood so I might get Ittle Dew 2 and some of their smaller titles as well while I'm at it. Whoever their artist is, I really dig their style - the character design is so expressive and fun and the kooky dialogue fits perfectly. It really goes a long way in selling me their games.