Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Kamrat posted:

Stellaris dev Martin Anward dropped this teaser on twitter:

I don't really know what to think, maybe it's a way to stop people from being able to plan their full expansion until the area is fully explored or something.

Good change, also what's the deal with the scientist's rank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Gyshall posted:

Good change, also what's the deal with the scientist's rank?

Maybe they're going to roman numerals instead of stars? You wouldn't believe how many times I've seen people get confused because they don't realize that Big Star = Rank 5

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

Maybe they're going to roman numerals instead of stars? You wouldn't believe how many times I've seen people get confused because they don't realize that Big Star = Rank 5

If they go with roman numerals we will get to instead experience the surprising number of people who never learned how to read roman numerals in grade school.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah I'm hosed if it goes past 13

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010
I’m playing with gulli’s planet modifiers and I found a “living planet” orbiting a black hole. How do I deal with this thing? It seems to insta-kill anything it hits with some kind of super-weapon. What kind of firepower do you need to kill it?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Gekkoh posted:

You probably don't want to blow resources on lots of research agreements at the same time, as there is likely to be a lot of overlap, and the bonuses don't stack.

...but you need 3 research agreements to make the materialist faction more happy, so if you're trying to keep those guys generating influence you're going to need those three.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I don't even look at the amount of research I just give them sensors and research agreement and add energy on top until they say yes. Gimme my influence.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kamrat posted:

Stellaris dev Martin Anward dropped this teaser on twitter:

I don't really know what to think, maybe it's a way to stop people from being able to plan their full expansion until the area is fully explored or something.
This is good, but I hope it's an option at game creation and not automatic for every new game.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

If they are hiding the hyperlanes until you explore them then they need to make autoexplore available by default.

I'm not gonna play a game where every 30 seconds I have to back out and select a new system for my science ship to explore.

ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013
Here, to make up for dicing you, multiple times, have some nice, calm text.

Nitrousoxide posted:

If they are hiding the hyperlanes until you explore them then they need to make autoexplore available by default.

I'm not gonna play a game where every 30 seconds I have to back out and select a new system for my science ship to explore.

That is a very good point.

Gekkoh
Jan 12, 2018

Just another
Squamata Gekkota

Penultimatum posted:

I’m playing with gulli’s planet modifiers and I found a “living planet” orbiting a black hole. How do I deal with this thing? It seems to insta-kill anything it hits with some kind of super-weapon. What kind of firepower do you need to kill it?

I've never killed it, nor attacked it.

You should get an event in your situation log about hacking it, eventually. It can lead to some cool stuff.

Edit: Missed the mod mention. Sorry, I'm tired. No idea if it's from the mod.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Nitrousoxide posted:

:agreed:

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Gekkoh posted:

I've never killed it, nor attacked it.

You should get an event in your situation log about hacking it, eventually. It can lead to some cool stuff.

Edit: Missed the mod mention. Sorry, I'm tired. No idea if it's from the mod.

You're probably thinking of the Infinity Machine, which is vanilla.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I'm in a MP game right with friends and we're experiencing some oddities. Has anyone had a game where the Leviathan spawns simply didn't show up? The trader/curator/artist enclaves did so the DLC is definitely active, but nobody has seen any of the other stuff. It's also 2355 and the midgame crisis still hasn't fired.

I did learn that robots can pay tribute to raiders in the form of food despite not having any though.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

If I have a bunch of protectorates or vassals and ask to join an existing federation, then join it, what happens to my protectorates/vassals? Do they join too?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

isndl posted:

I'm in a MP game right with friends and we're experiencing some oddities. Has anyone had a game where the Leviathan spawns simply didn't show up? The trader/curator/artist enclaves did so the DLC is definitely active, but nobody has seen any of the other stuff. It's also 2355 and the midgame crisis still hasn't fired.

I did learn that robots can pay tribute to raiders in the form of food despite not having any though.

AI empires will attempt to kill leviathans eventually.

As for mid game fallen empire stuff, a basic fallen empire awakening first checks for any "default" empire to have a combined fleet power of 50k. After that, it has a mean time to trigger of about 50 years after that. Even then, it won't trigger if there's a great kahn dicking around still.

I've found this to be a problem with small galaxies + lots of empires. Lots of empires and little space to expand means that hitting that 50k FP takes quite a long time. And another 50 years (average) after that for them to finally get of their asses about it. Slow as poo poo.

My next playthrough, I'm going to lower the crap out of the "mid game" slider.

And, the thing about the "mid game" and "end game" sliders is that it's not WHEN they will happen, but when they can actually START CHECKING to happen. They're meant to prevent those stages from happening too soon.

Machine uprisings, fallen empire awakenings, and great kahns are stuff that require you to be in "mid game" first. Same with the end game stuff. The end game crisis doesn't start rolling for anything in till 50 years AFTER and game has started.

TLDR; mid game slider should just always be at the very minimum. There are already other checks in place to prevent them from happening too soon. Putting mid game too high (esspecially with small galaxies/lots of empires) makes them take way too long to happen.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 17, 2018

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

ZypherIM posted:

2.0 was a huge improvement, and 2.02 fixed a large portion of the problems. You can play the update currently and see how you like it. Utopia and to a lesser extent Apocalypse are the expansions you should consider picking up if you're wanting to play more as they add the most stuff, the others are less mechanical stuff and more options/events/etc.

Negative reviews tend to stem from people crying about FTL system changes, which have greatly increased improved the game.

As much as I got salty the other day over it, hyperlanes-only for FTL does simplify things a bit.
It's great that paradox stays on top of the game but I feel like if the game would slow down on having major mechanics overhauls maybe I could get somewhere in my games instead of constantly learning new mechanics to have to min/max.

frogge fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 17, 2018

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Penultimatum posted:

I sent a 40k fleet and defeated it.

You get a ridiculous 25 size gaia world. Like multiple tiles with 20+ resources as a BASE.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Penultimatum posted:

Same amount of strength you need to kill a dimensional horror right now. I think around 30k should do if focused on hull dmg. I'm going to give it a custom loadout and stats soon though, not sure how strong I want it to be yet.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Movement speed really is too slow. Like I agree that fleets shouldn't need to be fast enough to move everywhere super quickly, but it still takes almost a month for Cruisers with T4 engines to cross a system, and that's dumb as hell.

In a semi-related question, on what basis do fleets choose where to upgrade themselves? I have fleets docked at their homebases, Citadels with 6 shipyards, and then when I press upgrade they fly off to try and upgrade at some other base, also with 6 shipyards and an effectively identical construction pattern. :iiam:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PittTheElder posted:

In a semi-related question, on what basis do fleets choose where to upgrade themselves? I have fleets docked at their homebases, Citadels with 6 shipyards, and then when I press upgrade they fly off to try and upgrade at some other base, also with 6 shipyards and an effectively identical construction pattern. :iiam:

It depends. If you don't have gateways, usually closest starport. If you do have gateways, something like the last star port you acquired.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ass_Burgerer posted:

As for mid game fallen empire stuff, a basic fallen empire awakening first checks for any "default" empire to have a combined fleet power of 50k. After that, it has a mean time to trigger of about 50 years after that. Even then, it won't trigger if there's a great kahn dicking around still.

I've found this to be a problem with small galaxies + lots of empires. Lots of empires and little space to expand means that hitting that 50k FP takes quite a long time. And another 50 years (average) after that for them to finally get of their asses about it. Slow as poo poo.

My next playthrough, I'm going to lower the crap out of the "mid game" slider.

And, the thing about the "mid game" and "end game" sliders is that it's not WHEN they will happen, but when they can actually START CHECKING to happen. They're meant to prevent those stages from happening too soon.

Machine uprisings, fallen empire awakenings, and great kahns are stuff that require you to be in "mid game" first. Same with the end game stuff. The end game crisis doesn't start rolling for anything in till 50 years AFTER and game has started.

TLDR; mid game slider should just always be at the very minimum. There are already other checks in place to prevent them from happening too soon. Putting mid game too high (esspecially with small galaxies/lots of empires) makes them take way too long to happen.

I thought FE waking up was a late-game, not mid-game event.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Movement speed really is too slow. Like I agree that fleets shouldn't need to be fast enough to move everywhere super quickly, but it still takes almost a month for Cruisers with T4 engines to cross a system, and that's dumb as hell.

A month is what, like 10 seconds?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Maybe he's playing on the slowest speed, in which case a month is about two minutes.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Yeah that's fair, but between five human players I'd expect someone to see something. Plus there's literally a third of the galaxy still unclaimed because it was bottled up behind a FE and two raider tribes perfectly placed on the choke points and nobody spawned inside that zone - we didn't start surveying it until after a wormhole opened a path.

Good to know about the crisis timing though, we'll just have to be patient.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

McSpanky posted:

Maybe he's playing on the slowest speed, in which case a month is about two minutes.

Or it's later game, where a month can take that long or longer even on higher speeds.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Not on Normal or Fast, the speed you play multiplayer at.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

iospace posted:

I thought FE waking up was a late-game, not mid-game event.
Late-game is the Contingency, Unbidden and such. Slightly before midgame is the Great Khan, and awakened fallen empires is midgame.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I'm not sure how you're supposed to beat the contingency except if you own like half the galaxy before they show up or something.
I take terrible loss even with 2 fleets of 25 battleships versus one of their fleet.
Cruisers and destroyers just get slaughtered before they have time to do anything.
They have so many of those fleet that I just cant sustain those looses.

Even when building my fleet for max shield and taking gardian of the galaxy they are just overwhelming. All the empire are in a federation but they only pump out 30k fleets that get slaughtered.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/986156315729940480?s=19

Ringworld buffs inc

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Buffs for Slavers as well.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Please for the love of god let this be leading to a proper empire log.

Aethernet posted:

Ringworld buffs inc
Psychics, galaxy-wiping superweapons, genetic drift, weird sex, asteroid-chucking, and new authoritarian mechanics also a possibility.

But yeah general megastructure overhaul is a fingers crossed.

e: precursor overhaul? Slaver boxes?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 17, 2018

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I'd love to have more only-at-start civics to replace diplomacy tree that aren't "-1000 relations and total war" or inward perfection. Usually diplomacy and domination feel sort of oppositely aligned and being able to take civics to replace the tree you don't plan on ever using (outside of another perk slot way late game) with something useful would be really nice.

Also wiz if you're still lurking in the thread, please put those anomalies in the situation track into a collapsible menu if possible.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

While we're on wishlists: there could be an expansion that just adds a ledger and I'd pay full price.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Splicer posted:

Please for the love of god let this be leading to a proper empire log.
Psychics, galaxy-wiping superweapons, genetic drift, weird sex, asteroid-chucking, and new authoritarian mechanics also a possibility.

But yeah general megastructure overhaul is a fingers crossed.

e: precursor overhaul? Slaver boxes?
Some kind of Slaver stasis box mechanism would actually be an interesting way to shake up the balance and provide catch-up capacities or just mix things up. The context here is a thing from Niven's books where there were relics of an ancient galaxy spanning empire, found in stasis field boxes (hence the name). They were easy to find once you knew how to look, but they turned up in the damnedest places.

I wonder how you'd model my people the Puppeteers in Stellaris. An Enclave? But they had military potential that dwarfed most other species.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Second wave of anomalies? Once you research the tech to find them/open them you get a bunch of weird stuff you can assign scientists to investigate.

Comedy answer: microtransaction loot boxes.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Krogort posted:

I'm not sure how you're supposed to beat the contingency except if you own like half the galaxy before they show up or something.
I take terrible loss even with 2 fleets of 25 battleships versus one of their fleet.
Cruisers and destroyers just get slaughtered before they have time to do anything.
They have so many of those fleet that I just cant sustain those looses.

Even when building my fleet for max shield and taking gardian of the galaxy they are just overwhelming. All the empire are in a federation but they only pump out 30k fleets that get slaughtered.

Refit into pierce weapons like arc emitters and disruptors. They have hulls that are incredibly fragile

if we're on wishlists uhhh how about some more poo poo you can do with energy. i'm always capped at endgame even if i load up on every deal known to mankind

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sloober posted:

Refit into pierce weapons like arc emitters and disruptors. They have hulls that are incredibly fragile

if we're on wishlists uhhh how about some more poo poo you can do with energy. i'm always capped at endgame even if i load up on every deal known to mankind
Matter creators or whatever they're called were updated to 30 for 50. Or just turn all your plants into mines.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Splicer posted:

I believe they're called matter creators.

i'm too lazy to micro them beyond the ones i can run already so no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I feel like empire chats should change based on the crisis and their status during it. At least we should be able to ask curators about it and have them freak out or something