Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I can vote for them but I can't actually make a difference in the black hole that is Renfrew nippissing Pembroke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

THC posted:

What does an Uber do when it doesn’t have a fare? Drive around aimlessly, idle on the side of the road, and use up parking spots causing other motorists to roam around looking for free spots.

And what does that uber driver do when it doesn't have a fare? sits there unpaid
And why do a lot of these people do it? because they're underpaid at their regular job or can't find a reasonable job.
And what does that uber driver do when they get sick, injured or hit with a car repair they can't afford?

Uber is exploitative in it's own way on top of the already sickening exploitation of the "gig economy". The government should be nailing their dicks to the wall or addressing the issues that allow them to exist in the current form, not subsidizing them to piggyback on the cost savings of that exploitation.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Vinchenz posted:

Ontario NDP's released their platform.

Wish I could vote for them, but they don't have someone running in my riding :(

? which riding

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

infernal machines posted:

gently caress these rubes who think they're getting a deal by temporarily externalizing their pubtrans costs to the drivers providing the service, in exchange for a few years of rides and no lasting infrastructure. How long do they think Uber's investors will keep subsidizing rides? How long are their "driver partners" going to work for less than minimum wage, at the expense of their own personal vehicles?

Uber's end game is to eliminate the drivers entirely. That's why they've pumped so much money into their autonomous vehicle program and been so drat reckless with it compared to every other major player. I guarantee that's the plan they're presenting to their bigger investors.

It's really a race of will they get something usable on the road before they run out of investors. I doubt it, especially in Canada from what I've seen from the state of the research/the few Transport Canada people I've talked to are very cautious/conservative when it comes to self-driving vehicles. And accident like the one in Arizona happening up here would lead to some major regulations restricting autonomous vehicles fast.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Boomers demonstrating impressive cognitive dissonance: "Things are worse than 20 years ago and I am struggling financially because of all the immigrants. Also millenials are struggling because they are lazy and not like me who is a self-made successful captain of industry. Now I will elect Doug Ford because he is the only one that understands my plight."

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
My ONDP candidate is a career political hack who seems to speak exclusively in platitudes, is the current president of the federal party, and has a side hustle running a Public Relations firm. I'm genuinely repulsed by the idea of voting for her.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Helsing posted:

My ONDP candidate is a career political hack who seems to speak exclusively in platitudes, is the current president of the federal party, and has a side hustle running a Public Relations firm. I'm genuinely repulsed by the idea of voting for her.

If I go to my local riding association meeting can I help clear fuckers like that out of the NDP

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

Her?

The current president of the federal party is Mathieu Vick.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.

RBC posted:

? which riding

Nepean.

Currently run by a Conservative MPP and looking likely to stay that way.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

cowofwar posted:

Boomers demonstrating impressive cognitive dissonance: "Things are worse than 20 years ago and I am struggling financially because of all the immigrants. Also millenials are struggling because they are lazy and not like me who is a self-made successful captain of industry. Now I will elect Doug Ford because he is the only one that understands my plight."

This poll is over a month old, and it's Forum, but it suggests Ford's popularity is lower among boomers:

quote:

Half (BTM2: 48%) say they are less likely to vote PC in the next election with Doug Ford as leader, with most of those (41%) saying they are much less likely to do so. 2 in 10 (TOP2: 20%) say they are more likely to vote PC in the next election because of the election of Doug Ford as leader, with one sixth (15%) doing so strongly. One-quarter (26%) say they are neither more likely nor less likely to vote PC because of Doug Ford. Few say they are unsure. Respondents most likely to say they are less likely to vote for the PCs because of Doug Ford include those aged 55-64 (52%), females (50%), living in Eastern Ontario (52%), Toronto (51%), the 905 (49%), and supporting the Ontario Liberals (74%). One quarter (23%) of PC supporters say they are less likely to vote PC because of Doug Ford. Respondents most likely to say they are more likely to vote for the PCs because of Doug Ford include those aged 35-54 (28%) or 65+ (25%), living in Eastern Ontario (21%) or Toronto (24%), and supporting the PCs (40%).

I feel like Doug is going to break a lot of people's brains in this thread because the only analysis a lot of goons have about Canadian politics seems to be that everything conservative comes exclusively from white male baby boomers while ignoring the massive block of conservative New Canadians who are one of the single biggest factors propping up the conservatives both here and federally.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

I feel like Doug is going to break a lot of people's brains in this thread because the only analysis a lot of goons have about Canadian politics seems to be that everything conservative comes exclusively from white male baby boomers while ignoring the massive block of conservative New Canadians who are one of the single biggest factors propping up the conservatives both here and federally.

I didn't take the bait the first time you said this today but you need to stop strawmanning posters in this thread. Anyone who followed Rob Ford and his constituencies knows he was hugely popular in minority communities.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Yup. Pretty drat funny how we automatically assume all immigrants are socially/economically liberal just because conservatives hate them.
Reality is many of those people come from societies where abortion is evil, homosexuality is evil and there’s only male and female genders.

Things aren’t quite as polarized in Canada as they are in the USA.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Have you talked to many Canadian conservatives lately about gender studies

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

THC posted:

Have you talked to many Canadian conservatives lately about gender studies

Nope. I’m a white male who hasn’t had a crush on any militant intersectional feminists. So things are Gucci here.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Quick someone file a cancon complaint with the CRTC

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Everything about this trial is loving awful so far. I hope he gets the 6 consecutive life sentences.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Uber's end game is to eliminate the drivers entirely. That's why they've pumped so much money into their autonomous vehicle program and been so drat reckless with it compared to every other major player. I guarantee that's the plan they're presenting to their bigger investors.

It's really a race of will they get something usable on the road before they run out of investors. I doubt it, especially in Canada from what I've seen from the state of the research/the few Transport Canada people I've talked to are very cautious/conservative when it comes to self-driving vehicles. And accident like the one in Arizona happening up here would lead to some major regulations restricting autonomous vehicles fast.

Autonomous vehicles is step 2. Step 1 is treat people like dirt so you can out price and put all the competition out of business. If anyone gets in the way sue them into the ground.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Reince Penis posted:

I didn't take the bait the first time you said this today but you need to stop strawmanning posters in this thread. Anyone who followed Rob Ford and his constituencies knows he was hugely popular in minority communities.

You made quite a leap going from "people who post in CanPol" to people "who followed Rob Ford and his constituencies".

Kraftwerk posted:

Yup. Pretty drat funny how we automatically assume all immigrants are socially/economically liberal just because conservatives hate them.
Reality is many of those people come from societies where abortion is evil, homosexuality is evil and there’s only male and female genders.

Things aren’t quite as polarized in Canada as they are in the USA.

Canadian conservatives don't hate immigrants though? They specifically have used a racial panic around Muslims to try and win votes and there are some racist fringe outlets like the Rebel but Canadian movement conservatism espouses the same creed about the economic merits of immigration that everyone else does, and anti-immigrant issues haven't seemed to catch fire with the conservative base in the same way that they did up north. Actual conservative ideologues I talk to tend to be very proud of their party's ability to win New Canadian votes and tend to believe that immigrants are likely to become long-term conservative voters.

Self identifying as a conservative voter probably has some correlation with anxieties about race and immigration in a lot of parts of the country but insofar as conservatism is an ideology or movement in Canada I'd call it more anti-Muslim and generally anti-poor rather than specifically anti-immigrant or anti-minority. Our racism plays out in more subtle ways, like the way we are utterly indifferent to the deaths of most non-white Canadians or our casual acceptance of de facto slavery for the people who make a lot of our poo poo. But in that regard conservatives hardly stand out from the rest of the political spectrum.

That's not to say there's no market for some kind of ethno-nationalist movement to take hold, I just don't think you can compare the current CPC to the Republican party in the states given it has much more in common with the Democrats.

In case this isn't clear the conservatives are terrible, but implying they're distinctly worse on immigration is really misleading and inadvertently makes the Liberals and NDP sound better than they are. Let's try to avoid any more embarrassing thread analogies like "Ok guys, what if the Liberals are like the Mafia, but the Conservatives are like... THE NAZIS".

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Conservatives are okay with immigration as long as the immigrants are white.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

You made quite a leap going from "people who post in CanPol" to people "who followed Rob Ford and his constituencies".

Oh sorry are we pretending this thread wasn't posting about Rob Ford everyday for years lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Helsing posted:

'Sup Davenport bro?

Reince Penis posted:

Her?

The current president of the federal party is Mathieu Vick.

Former. It's Marit Stiles.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Uber's endgame is blue-sky nonsense and they're hemorrhaging too much cash to be able to last the 10-15 years it's going to take before it's even remotely feasible. Not to mention it's completely anathema to their business model of externalizing all costs. They have no knowledge, infrastructure, or experience in fleet management to actually pull off something like that.

But for some reason we're willing to help line some pockets in the mean time by putting public money into their service instead of building our own infrastructure.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

cowofwar posted:

All the inter-generational stuff is yet another form of tribalism so it's not going to be logic based to be sure.

"You were born in 1976? gently caress you, you could never possibly understand me, born in 1980. Also your whole generation sucks."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In less depressing news Gerald Stanley is back in court being charged for unsafe gun storage.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Arcsquad12 posted:

In less depressing news Gerald Stanley is back in court being charged for unsafe gun storage.

Wonder how much he'll make off this gofundme

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Baronjutter posted:

Wonder how much he'll make off this gofundme

$3000 fine and banned from owning a gun for ten years. Clearly the most severe punishment the courts could give him.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Andrea is a sellout rear end in a top hat whose hand I have declined to shake on several occasions

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Isn't taking away guns from rurals pretty much a death sentence? How long will he survive the hoards of dangerous teens in such an unarmed state?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Baronjutter posted:

Isn't taking away guns from rurals pretty much a death sentence? How long will he survive the hoards of dangerous teens in such an unarmed state?

Let them die.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Andrew Coyne is having a meltdown on Twitter lol

https://twitter.com/acoyne

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Vinchenz posted:

Ontario NDP's released their platform.

Wish I could vote for them, but they don't have someone running in my riding :(

my riding has been solidly ndp for a little while, i hope they dont screw that up

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Does Ontario have a way to buyback HydroOne other than giving their corporate overlords like 5x share price on their stake?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
nationalize it

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DariusLikewise posted:

Andrew Coyne is having a meltdown on Twitter lol

https://twitter.com/acoyne

He’s retweeting some guy who has bad takes. I was expecting more.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Look, I get it. The thread doesn't like the oil and I can appreciate that, I'm not a huge fan of it myself, but I realize the necessity for it until there's massive breakthroughs in battery efficiency and synthetic material development. But this comes off as incredibly hypocritical when there's ~19000 more tankers going out of Vancouver every year, any a spill of any one of them can be just as environmentally devastating as an oil spill; it just doesn't look or smell as bad. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I'm not seeing policies by Hogan to reduce the amount of tankers going through Port of Vancouver.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

TransMountain would triple tanker traffic no?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Please explain why the Vancouver public should accept a 7x increase in tanker traffic right in the middle of our home and the addition of tankers carrying diluted bitumen which nobody knows how to clean up without reference to “muh jobs muh oil profits”

DariusLikewise posted:

TransMountain would triple tanker traffic no?

Septuple.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

THC posted:

Please explain why the Vancouver public should accept a 7x increase in tanker traffic right in the middle of our home and the addition of tankers carrying diluted bitumen which nobody knows how to clean up without reference to “muh jobs muh oil profits”

Because BCers and Albertans are not opponents. They are neighbours. They are fellow countrymen and women, who want the best for themselves and each other.

Every day millions of Canadians in both provinces work together, play together, build communities and a great country together.

BCers don’t want to block Alberta’s resources. They want to know that the coast is protected. For too long it wasn’t, and now it will be. The Oceans Protection Plan makes sure of that.

Albertans care as much about Canada’s natural beauty as anyone. Spend some time camping or hiking around Kananaskis Country and talk to people. You won’t find more passionate defenders of conservation and the environment. They wouldn’t dream of putting it in jeopardy.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Thank you Justin

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

It’s like why are we trying to stem the growth of carbon emissions when there’s already carbon emissions? Might as well keep on trucking until we’re all boiled to death!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

Thank you Justin

Hmm Buttsy, how we gonna figure this bc thing out, let's brainstorm oil...gas... gaslighting! boom wrap it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Because BCers and Albertans are not opponents. They are neighbours. They are fellow countrymen and women, who want the best for themselves and each other.

Every day millions of Canadians in both provinces work together, play together, build communities and a great country together.

BCers don’t want to block Alberta’s resources. They want to know that the coast is protected. For too long it wasn’t, and now it will be. The Oceans Protection Plan makes sure of that.

Albertans care as much about Canada’s natural beauty as anyone. Spend some time camping or hiking around Kananaskis Country and talk to people. You won’t find more passionate defenders of conservation and the environment. They wouldn’t dream of putting it in jeopardy.

So, you want to tell us how they're actually preventing oil spills with that Ocean's Protection Plan? I see lots of words about everything else, but their prevention plan looks non-existent.