Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Force of Will is a reasonable Standard reprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

You’re right and it’s really sad for the game

It would have less of an impact than you think....

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Force of Will would not be bad for standard at all, if it even saw play, so I could see Wizards eventually doing it except for the fact that weird mtgfinanciers somehow control most of their important decisions, so

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

mcmagic posted:

If you want to nerf those decks, ban Stirrings. Nothing good for the format is playing that card.

My man. Nerfs Tron too!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hellsau posted:

Force of Will is a reasonable Standard reprint.

Let The Scarab God rotate and I'll agree.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

If you want to nerf those decks, ban Stirrings. Nothing good for the format is playing that card.

Agreed.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Let The Scarab God rotate and I'll agree.

Why would you ever play FoW with or against Scarab God though, it's really bad in slow games?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

Why would you ever play FoW with or against Scarab God though, it's really bad in slow games?

There's also a ton of cards that make up for the card disadvantage, and I think how bad Force is in the fair mirror is ridiculously overstated. Sometimes people have things you really need to not have them resolve, and Force lets you do that while still advancing your own game plan.

Observe this simple, and easy to set up, sequence.

Step 1 Cast Scarab God.

Step 2 Spend 0 mana to counter your 4 mana removal for it. Or counter your big, game-ending threat that you would normally resolve after you tapped out.

Step 3 The game's over. You won. Go to game 2.

I agree that there are standard formats where Force would be good at best, but I don't think this is one. There's a decent amount of good control elements already and I think between TSG, Gearhulk, Chupachups, 2 instant speed draw 2s, an instant speed draw X, and Approach to name a few, Force would push it over the line.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Maybe they'd do a functional reprint where exile force of will afterward

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Eh, Modern is kind of a dumb format that people like in spite of being kind of a dumb format. It's a format where sometimes you sit down and your opponent is playing some troll poo poo you can never actually beat because your deck has no real way to interact with whatever it's doing. Those decks aren't ruining the format because they're often fragile in the wider meta because some other portion of decks either goldfish faster or are constructed such that they might have some play. That doesn't really do anything for the fact that if you sat down to play that game you didn't get to do anything and got a loss. The end result is that it's not a very good competitive format, which is why the pros don't like it. It's a lot less skill testing and a lot more, "did I draw a silver bullet hate card."

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 16, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

It would have less of an impact than you think....

I don’t think it would have much of an impact on standard at all.

And I don’t know that Wizards and people who haven’t played with Force of Will know that.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

When Force of Will counters a 5 mana spell for free it's a great card. When it counters a 2 mana spell for free it's pretty bad.

Basically suicidesteve is right

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

Eh, Modern is kind of a dumb format that people like in spite of being kind of a dumb format. It's a format where sometimes you sit down and your opponent is playing some troll poo poo you can never actually beat because your deck has no real way to interact with whatever it's doing. Those decks aren't ruining the format because they're often fragile in the wider meta because some other portion of decks either goldfish faster or are constructed such that they might have some play. That doesn't really do anything for the fact that if you sat down to play that game you didn't get to do anything and got a loss. The end result is that it's not a very good competitive format, which is why the pros don't like it. It's a lot less skill testing and a lot more, "did I draw a silver bullet hate card."

Do pros actually not like it? The only one I see actively get mad at is is EFro and he sucks.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Elyv posted:

When Force of Will counters a 5 mana spell for free it's a great card. When it counters a 2 mana spell for free it's pretty bad.

Basically suicidesteve is right

Right. This is why I think it would actually be better on standard than anywhere else. Like you play it in vintage and legacy because 1 and 2 mana spells in those formats can end the game, and you can die on turn 1 without it. In standard most 1 and 2 mana spells don't have a huge impact. So you're countering 4 or 5 mana spells, or you're protecting your 4 or 5 mana spell. Sometimes you get to do both at once and that's absolutely crushing if you have any follow-up.

fadam posted:

Do pros actually not like it? The only one I see actively get mad at is is EFro and he sucks.

Pros (including Efro) say something along the lines of "I like the format but I don't think it should be played at a professional level." Which pretty much translates to me to "I don't like it but I have to write about it and play it because it's what other people like." But that's probably me projecting.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
unban mental misstep

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah, people think of FoW as an anti-combo card, but back in the day I saw it used more for protecting a backbreaking Moat or Abyss against fair creature decks.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

whydirt posted:

Yeah, people think of FoW as an anti-combo card, but back in the day I saw it used more for protecting a backbreaking Moat or Abyss against fair creature decks.

At least in Modern, you might actually be dead before you could cast either of those nowadays and they just don't print cards like that anymore in standard.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What I unironically think they should do is another pitch cycle just like the originals, but buff up the weaker ones and have them all positioned to be answer cards or similar cards that can't win on their own.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 16, 2018

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TheKingofSprings posted:

What I unironically think they should do is another pitch cycle just like the originals, but buff up the weaker ones and have them all positioned to be answer cards or similar cards that can't win on their own.

Reverent Mantra was really good, though?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

Agreed. Board the weatherlight or commune with dinos seem appropriate power level for cantrips these days.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
What was the last non-land/non-common standard reprint that made any waves? Opt?

They aren't going to ever put FOW in standard because it would take up a mythic slot and those have to be 100% new these days because "story".

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Sickening posted:

What was the last non-land/non-common standard reprint that made any waves? Opt?

They aren't going to ever put FOW in standard because it would take up a mythic slot and those have to be 100% new these days because "story".

Core sets are coming back so this isn't necessarily true. The core sets printed after mythics were introduced had plenty of mythic reprints.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe it could happen in a core set? Or do those have stories, too?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
solution: start adding type 1 reprints into modern masters and allow those as modern legal

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

That'd be cool, but the only actual weak card from the original Alliances cycle was Scars of the Veteran

Bounty of the Hunt, Contagion, and Pyrokinesis are all good cards that have seen tournament play (though admittedly Contagion/Pyrokinesis were usually SB options)

e:

Sickening posted:

why would it need to be a mythic slot? if you're reprinting it you've got to anticipate it might be a standard and modern staple, and its current price isn't so high that people will be up in arms when it drops to $40 or whatever

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 16, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Agreed. Board the weatherlight or commune with dinos seem appropriate power level for cantrips these days.

Board the Weatherlight seems horrible.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

LGD posted:

why would it need to be a mythic slot? if you're reprinting it you've got to anticipate it might be a standard and modern staple, and its current price isn't so high that people will be up in arms when it drops to $40 or whatever

oh you sweet summer child

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

little munchkin posted:

oh you sweet summer child

I'm sorry if I gave you the impression I underestimate Wizard's ongoing fuckheadedness, I'm just saying that there isn't actually anything preventing them from doing a FoW reprint in a non-stupid manner if they chose

I mean poo poo, it's a pretty generic card name, I'm sure they could just work in some insanely stupid plot point about Jace resisting Bolas' mind control if it needed to be a "story-related" mythic

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Sorcery speed search that costs 2 tends to be in standard

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
There are no reasons for flavor or story that are preventing Wizards from reprinting Force of Will in a Standard-legal set. It's just simply that they probably don't want to and probably never will.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

mcmagic posted:

Its card draw in white that hits most of the major cards in standard. Writing it off entirely is a mistake.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

AnEdgelord posted:

Its card draw in white that hits most of the major cards in standard. Writing it off entirely is a mistake.

I think it being 2 cmc and a sorcery is more of the issue for the effect.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Sorcery speed search that costs 2 tends to be in standard

In the decks that play Stirrings hits literally the whole deck and it costs 1 mana. This card won't even hit 50% of standard decks and it costs 2...

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mcmagic posted:

In the decks that play Stirrings hits literally the whole deck and it costs 1 mana. This card won't even hit 50% of standard decks and it costs 2...

But what if you need to Stirrings for Stirrings?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Sickening posted:

I think it being 2 cmc and a sorcery is more of the issue for the effect.

Sure but similar things were said about a 4 cmc removal spell being too expensive. This is why writing off cards before we actually get a chance to play with them is a bad idea. Especially when they have useful effects tied to them.

If it sees play its going to be because it allows poo poo like mardu vehicles to pull Heart of Kirans, Chandras and Hazorets off the top of their deck without having to go into blue for the effect.

If it doesn't see play its because its too expensive for the effect and can't be done at instant speed.

We are not going to know which one is going to happen until we actually play with the card.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

LGD posted:

I'm sorry if I gave you the impression I underestimate Wizard's ongoing fuckheadedness, I'm just saying that there isn't actually anything preventing them from doing a FoW reprint in a non-stupid manner if they chose

*mark rosewater voice* our hands are tied, actually

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

Yeah, hence appropriate :mrgw:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sickening posted:

Goblin Warchief could mean something in 8-Whack.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

little munchkin posted:

*mark rosewater voice* our hands are tied, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

Goblin Warchief could mean something in 8-Whack.

Unlikely, if any Goblin will see play out of this set it’s the one that gives a free win vs. Elves Affinity and Mardu