Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GoutPatrol posted:

Goblin Warchief could mean something in 8-Whack.

I love warchief. Saying that don’t think it’s improving the gameplan over better options already available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Warchief is only as good as Goblins ability to cheat cost and draw more Goblins

Wizards doesn’t like that being a thing Goblins or red in general does anymore

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

little munchkin posted:

*mark rosewater voice*

What is "a war crime" for 500, Alex?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

dragon enthusiast posted:

solution: start adding type 1 reprints into modern masters and allow those as modern legal

Abolish the reserve list and do a legacy masters set that costs $40-50 a pack but has all the dual lands and poo poo

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Goblin Warchief would allow a t3 Lightning Crafter combo (on the draw)

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Board the Weatherlight is way more likely to miss than any impulse effect that has seen play in Standard that I can think of. Vehicles is a deck that runs off of the power of it's one and two drops, it's extremely unlikely to want to give up tempo and card advantage for card selection at a bad rate. If it sees play somewhere, it won't be there.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Tutors get played when they’re searching up combo pieces or answers rather than proactive midrange pieces. GSZ is about the only exception because you are playing the card immediately and because GSZ’s tutor technically costs 1.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

nearly everything in 8-whack already has haste and doesn't have colorless in it's mana cost

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I would rather splash blue for Strategic Plans than run Board the Weatherlight.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

little munchkin posted:

nearly everything in 8-whack already has haste and doesn't have colorless in it's mana cost

More likely skirk prospector might be playable, to turn mogg war-marshal into a ritual or itself into a simian spirit guide in later turns.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mae posted:

More likely skirk prospector might be playable, to turn mogg war-marshal into a ritual or itself into a simian spirit guide in later turns.

That deck doesn't really have late-game mana sinks though, unless you are running extra-spicy tech like Hazoret or less spicy tech in Ramunap Ruins.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
reprint fow at uncommon imo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
From what I can tell, Modern right now is only appealing to a pretty narrow type of Magic player. It looks to me like, to "properly" "enjoy" Modern, you have to be a fan of at least 2 of these:

- Knowing exactly which cards your opponent's deck has in it because heaven forfend anyone put their own spin on something
- Games being absolutely solved as early as turn 2
- Keeping your opponent from playing the game (1996 me is still laughing that "Blood Moon decks" are even a thing)

Like I said though, I used to enjoy playing Extended on MTGO, and in theory Modern is just "Extended More", but at the time I was playing Extended, it didn't look anything like Modern looks today. I rarely played against "the same" decks and I was just putting together whatever I happened to get from drafting boosters, never worrying about having 4-of any card that cost more than a couple dollars, etc.

Is there any official format for me, or should I just stick to Arena? I don't know anyone at all who still plays Magic so "play kitchen table magic with your friends" isn't an option, not even on MTGO. The people who go to FNM near me are not the kind of people I want to be friends with (I'm not saying that as an insult, I'm just saying I have nothing in common with them except Magic) and even if they were, they're all playing $500 Modern decks and playing to win on turn 1.

:(

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Are you trying to say that old extended didn’t have netdecks? That’s absurd. You aren’t comparing formats, you are comparing casual magic to competitive magic.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

precision posted:

From what I can tell, Modern right now is only appealing to a pretty narrow type of Magic player. It looks to me like, to "properly" "enjoy" Modern, you have to be a fan of at least 2 of these:

- Knowing exactly which cards your opponent's deck has in it because heaven forfend anyone put their own spin on something
- Keeping your opponent from playing the game (1996 me is still laughing that "Blood Moon decks" are even a thing)

Like I said though, I used to enjoy playing Extended on MTGO, and in theory Modern is just "Extended More", but at the time I was playing Extended, it didn't look anything like Modern looks today. I rarely played against "the same" decks and I was just putting together whatever I happened to get from drafting boosters, never worrying about having 4-of any card that cost more than a couple dollars, etc.

Is there any official format for me, or should I just stick to Arena? I don't know anyone at all who still plays Magic so "play kitchen table magic with your friends" isn't an option, not even on MTGO. The people who go to FNM near me are not the kind of people I want to be friends with (I'm not saying that as an insult, I'm just saying I have nothing in common with them except Magic) and even if they were, they're all playing $500 Modern decks and playing to win on turn 1.

Constructed magic isn't for you I am afraid. There isn't a format where someone plays with whatever cards they have on hand except limited. If you dig arena's current game-play I am afraid to tell you that it might not exist in its current limited form for too much longer.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

precision posted:

So what you're saying is that you know nothing about Modern. Great!

If you're interest is "I don't want to play with more than a few booster packs worth of cards" the format you're looking for is called Sealed Deck.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

precision posted:

Just play a deck with a pretty linear deck goal and don't worry too much about matchups.

I'm saying play bogles.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

GoutPatrol posted:

It's so much worse than Goblin Chieftain in that deck, and the deck usually only runs like 2 Goblin Chieftains.

Literally all it does in 8-Whack that Chieftain doesn't is reduce the cost of Reckless Bushwhacker, Mogg War Marshall and Goblin Piledriver. Which, if you've already cast a 3 drop, you don't really need to do because your hand is probably empty by that point. The +1/+1 to everything from Chieftain is just so much more relevant than a cost reduction on the like 10 or 11 cards in your deck that have generic pips in their mana costs. If the cost reduction came earlier, it could be a thing, but on a 3-drop it's just irrelevant. This is a deck that will routinely keep 1-land hands on a mull to 6.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Entropic posted:

It's so much worse than Goblin Chieftain in that deck, and the deck usually only runs like 2 Goblin Chieftains.

Literally all it does in 8-Whack that Chieftain doesn't is reduce the cost of Reckless Bushwhacker, Mogg War Marshall and Goblin Piledriver. Which, if you've already cast a 3 drop, you don't really need to do because your hand is probably empty by that point. The +1/+1 to everything from Chieftain is just so much more relevant than a cost reduction on the like 10 or 11 cards in your deck that have generic pips in their mana costs. If the cost reduction came earlier, it could be a thing, but on a 3-drop it's just irrelevant. This is a deck that will routinely keep 1-land hands on a mull to 6.

Do you think the RRR cost Goblin is likely to see any play in the deck?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

precision posted:

draft, motherfucker

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

TheKingofSprings posted:

If anything, I’d say it’ll go in the SB replacing Rabblemaster.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

InterrupterJones posted:

If anything, I’d say it’ll go in the SB replacing Rabblemaster.

Why replacing Rabblemaster? Don’t they do different things?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

Eh, it's kind of redundant with Legion Loyalist as a way to get past opposing X/1s. If it had haste or proc'd every time it attacked or something, then we'd be talking.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheKingofSprings posted:

Unlikely. I mean, the only way I see it being at all good would be if somehow 8-whack takes off and then it's maybe decent as a sideboard card for the mirror, but even then I doubt it. The deck has very very few slots for cards that cost more than R or 1R / RR.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Yuzenn posted:

Just play a deck with a pretty linear deck goal and don't worry too much about matchups.

I'm saying play bogles.

I keep messing around with different modern decks but I always have the most success when I just go back to my old BW Eldrazi deck. Tons of maindeck hand disruption (Inquistion/Thoughtseize, Tidehollow Sculler, Thought-Knot Seer, Collective Brutality) plus a relatively quick clock goes a long way in most matchups, and BW gives you a ton of sideboard options.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

Unlikely. I mean, the only way I see it being at all good would be if somehow 8-whack takes off and then it's maybe decent as a sideboard card for the mirror, but even then I doubt it. The deck has very very few slots for cards that cost more than R or 1R / RR.

I mean maybe Lingering Souls turns out to be a big problem or something.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean maybe Lingering Souls turns out to be a big problem or something.

Legion Loyalist is already pretty good against that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Soul Glo posted:

draft, motherfucker

I mentioned playing Draft in MTGO back in the day so yeah it's obviously something I'm into.

Lone Goat posted:

So what you're saying is that you know nothing about Modern. Great!

There is no need to be a dick. I'm quite sure I have freely admitted that I got way out of the loop and since around 2007 I've only played Duels games, not MTGO or paper. I was also very careful in the phrasing in my initial post to make it clear that I know I could be wrong. That's why I said "From what
I can tell..." and "it looks like it is", not "it is". If you want to educate me, go ahead! But can we not be dicks about everything? :)

ShadeofBlue posted:

Are you trying to say that old extended didn’t have netdecks? That’s absurd. You aren’t comparing formats, you are comparing casual magic to competitive magic.

That's probably true, but that only raises more questions - why is it that, between launch of MTGO and 2008, I spent very little money and played with whatever cards I had on hand, almost never having 4-ofs of key Rares etc, and yet when I played Extended in the regular MTGO lobby, I was able to win very consistently and didn't ever face anything like "Blood Moon.dec"? Has there been some kind of sea change with the playerbase I was unaware of? I'm sure Extended had netdecks, what I'm saying is that when I watch a Modern video, the moment someone plays certain cards their opponent goes "Oh, okay, they're playing This Deck, I know exactly what is in That Deck".

Is it because the cards that have been printed/re-printed between 2008 and now have allowed for a lot more "degenerate"/"fast" strategies?

Is it because all the casual players have fled MTGO en masse? Maybe literally everyone like me quit playing and now it's only people playing expensive, "pro" decks?

I'm asking these questions because in theory I love the game and have loved it for 24 years but watching Modern and Standard it is clear to me I wouldn't have fun in either format unless I wanted to spend hundreds of dollars just to have a deck worth shuffling. I'm not trying to troll for the most flip, casual dismissals and insults you guys can muster. Come on now. Help a brother out.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Were you playing in tournaments or in the tournament practice room or were you playing in the more casual rooms with Extended legality?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

precision posted:

There is no need to be a dick. I'm quite sure I have freely admitted that I got way out of the loop and since around 2007 I've only played Duels games, not MTGO or paper. I was also very careful in the phrasing in my initial post to make it clear that I know I could be wrong. That's why I said "From what
I can tell..." and "it looks like it is", not "it is". If you want to educate me, go ahead! But can we not be dicks about everything? :)

Explain to me how you reach the conclusion of

quote:

Games being absolutely solved as early as turn 2

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

It's because there's infinitely more information now.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Forerunner of the Heralds is a stupid name.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

mossyfisk posted:

I don’t mind it as long as they eventually make a card named Herald of the Forerunners

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The people you're watching stream mtgo are not going to be playing in the casual all-my-cards.dec rooms. Why would anyone want to watch that sort of gameplay on a stream?

That said, yeah, there are fewer casual players in mtgo than there were in the past. Casual players don't stay casual players forever - generally speaking, they other move on to other things (like you did), or they start getting more serious. You need a constant influx of new casual players to keep a casual scene going, and in recent years people interested in casually playing digital MTG have been pushed towards the Duels series instead.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mossyfisk posted:

I'm waiting for them to make a utility land called Verdant Greens.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Some Numbers posted:

Were you playing in tournaments or in the tournament practice room or were you playing in the more casual rooms with Extended legality?

I don't recall there being separate rooms. I recall that at first there were "Casual" and "Serious" rooms (they didn't have those names, though, probably) and that literally nobody played in the Casual room so there was functionally only one room to play in, period. I didn't play in tournaments though, no.

When I mentioned "games being solved on turn 2" I was referring to videos I'm seeing where on turn 2 or 3 the person making the video says "Welp, since I know what's in their deck, and what's in mine, literally nothing can turn this game around for me". I suppose it's possible they're being hyperbolic or just wrong, but hey, they're the ones making money playing Magic and I'm just some guy

edit: I just remembered that some people DID play in the Casual room, but it was people trying to get quick wins against noobs by bringing a rocket launcher to a knife fight

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

precision posted:

If you have enough cards, it can be fun to just take your mess of commons and uncommons and make a deck out of it in 20 minutes or so.

If you want slightly more structure, Cube can be a lot of fun. Basically just a more custom draft.

I still plant myself firmly in the belief that Magic doesn't get any better than four people with a pile of cards who only sort of know how they work mashing decks together.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mae posted:

skirk seems like it'd be a cute but ultimately not good enough inclusion in storm as a free spell

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

skirk seems like it'd be a cute but ultimately not good enough inclusion in storm as a free spell

Where Skirk Prospector does have some potential is with Fecundity in a Goblin storm style deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

precision posted:

I don't recall there being separate rooms. I recall that at first there were "Casual" and "Serious" rooms (they didn't have those names, though, probably) and that literally nobody played in the Casual room so there was functionally only one room to play in, period. I didn't play in tournaments though, no.

When I mentioned "games being solved on turn 2" I was referring to videos I'm seeing where on turn 2 or 3 the person making the video says "Welp, since I know what's in their deck, and what's in mine, literally nothing can turn this game around for me". I suppose it's possible they're being hyperbolic or just wrong, but hey, they're the ones making money playing Magic and I'm just some guy

edit: I just remembered that some people DID play in the Casual room, but it was people trying to get quick wins against noobs by bringing a rocket launcher to a knife fight

Very rarely will you get a competitive game even in the "serious" room. The skill level would be around kitchen magic level, if that. Anybody with a shred of skill was playing in tournaments.

Also there is a difference between knowing what it in an opponent's deck, and a game being "absolutely solved as early as turn 2".