Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Takoluka posted:

It is very fun to watch, because having someone approach Zora and suddenly be at 499 rupees is just amazing.

I desperately need a clip of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Pharohman777 posted:

Honestly, that sounds really loving amazing, and it allows bits to be used acively for more than playing minigames like bitboss.

You are gonna get a ton of people active and engaged as people compete to screw over the speedrunners.

I would not be suprised if bit race functionality is expanded to allow for buffs/debuffs and more esoteric things to be thrown at the racers.

They have this already. Mail can be given permanent upgrades, swords can be upgraded or temporarily downgraded, magic, arrows, and bombs can be made infinite for a minute at a time, etc.

Additionally, ice physics can be given for a minute, controls reversed for a minute, or put in one hit KO status for a minute. Andy and Christos did a really good race showcasing it a few weeks ago, both of them played on SD2SNES using the USB functionality, the code for the bitrace was literally streamed to their SNES's in real time. Andy was in Ganon's tower, ready to go to the rando room, and all his bombs were taken away. He just sat there plinking the wall until someone gave him one bomb.

When they started, the take-away rupee function was broken, no matter how many rupees people tried to take away, the counter would only decrease by one. Karkat fixed it on the fly. Dude is a goddamn wizard.

I'd post a link to it but I'm at work and they frown on Twitch (but not SA!)

Oyster fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 12, 2018

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Steve Weeb.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Calithon starts tonight at 8 EDT. Leading off with MOdyssey, then Metroid Prime and Cuphead. PJ Block is around noon on Sunday.

https://www.twitch.tv/calithon

https://horaro.org/calithon/2018

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Boogalo posted:

Calithon starts tonight at 8 EDT. Leading off with MOdyssey, then Metroid Prime and Cuphead. PJ Block is around noon on Sunday.

https://www.twitch.tv/calithon

https://horaro.org/calithon/2018

such a shame the SMO runner is holding the control stick all the way forward, with mario moving that fast the run is basically an incomprehensible mess to anyone without a PHD in mario speedruns.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I think LttP randomizer may be getting too big. Nintendo can kill it any time they want with a C&D, and once it reaches a certain level of popularity they will feel compelled to protect their IP.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Konstantin posted:

I think LttP randomizer may be getting too big. Nintendo can kill it any time they want with a C&D, and once it reaches a certain level of popularity they will feel compelled to protect their IP.

Alternatively, they just release it themselves.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i think the nature of what LTTP Randomizer is might actually make it safe. they're not distributing a ROM or any game assets, it's just an online tool that takes a ROM you provide and scrambles it.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
e:.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Yeah don't get me wrong, despite saying the bit races are an obvious cash grab, I think they're amazing and pretty much better than any other on-stream use of bits I've seen so far. There's a ton of trolly and funny poo poo you can do with your bits and people dish out the money like crazy. Twitch chat is gonna Twitch chat, every rando race people beg for a pedestal seed or the trolliest combinations of everything under the sun so enabling them to make their dreams come true by spending their real dough is a stroke of genius.

As for C&D stuff, I'm sure if a brigade of Nintendo lawyers came knocking at the doors, they'd find a way to close z3r down if they really wanted to. But they're playing it as safe as they possibly can by not providing an actual rom of anything anywhere. To get a seed you have to upload a rom you find somewhere so that's not their responsibility and even for tournament races and things like that, there's only ever links sent to people and not actual, physical rom files. Still, it could potentially happen I guess just like any other romhack.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I suppose the bright side is that if it ever does happen there's probably such a massive number of seeds already floating out and about that people could just keep those and shuffle them up with renamed files.

By the way someone asked last page for the Youtube vod of my match. Here it is. I'm on the right.

That was my first serious speedrun race ever so I made a lot of bad routing decisions because nerves but I feel my execution was on point. I could definitely stand to learn better strats for some things, I've mostly come up with my own. Watching the vod myself made me learn about the fake powder glitch, which I never learned before.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Nep-Nep posted:

I suppose the bright side is that if it ever does happen there's probably such a massive number of seeds already floating out and about that people could just keep those and shuffle them up with renamed files.

By the way someone asked last page for the Youtube vod of my match. Here it is. I'm on the right.

That was my first serious speedrun race ever so I made a lot of bad routing decisions because nerves but I feel my execution was on point. I could definitely stand to learn better strats for some things, I've mostly come up with my own. Watching the vod myself made me learn about the fake powder glitch, which I never learned before.

Plus all the code is on Github so people could just use mirrors of that anyway.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Nep-Nep posted:

That was me. These are fun to watch and it’s neat seeing people that I (tangentially) know run them.

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/250188163

Got a new kid chameleon record by 11 seconds tonight, bungled some basic levels but just about nailed every one of the new boss strats in one run for the first time. This widens the 1 second gap between my previous 27:48 and TheWinslinator's 27:49. Excited to be making progress with so much time left before gdq :toot:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

synthetik posted:

That was me. These are fun to watch and it’s neat seeing people that I (tangentially) know run them.

Yeah it's more fun to watch if I'm cheering on someone I know or even post in the same space. I had a great time watching Oyster's race the other night. Anyone else here in the tournament?

edit: Also congrats on the KC run furry drum circle!

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

Nep-Nep posted:

Anyone else here in the tournament?

hello yes I am in the tournament. I lost my first match by accidentally not walking into the bombed wall in blind's basement. so then I got completely deadended because the moon pearl was in there, and I spent a minute or two trying to figure out what I had done wrong on my tracker. then I started re-checking every location I had already been. Pretty Embarassing.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

furry drum circle posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/250188163

Got a new kid chameleon record by 11 seconds tonight, bungled some basic levels but just about nailed every one of the new boss strats in one run for the first time. This widens the 1 second gap between my previous 27:48 and TheWinslinator's 27:49. Excited to be making progress with so much time left before gdq :toot:

Congrats!

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Hyphen-ated posted:

hello yes I am in the tournament. I lost my first match by accidentally not walking into the bombed wall in blind's basement. so then I got completely deadended because the moon pearl was in there, and I spent a minute or two trying to figure out what I had done wrong on my tracker. then I started re-checking every location I had already been. Pretty Embarassing.

I watched a run that a guy had forgotten he could get to hype cave, it had the mirror, the bow, and the hammer. Felt bad for him he went back there like 48 minutes in.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Hyphen-ated posted:

Though not in a race I have done that exact thing in that exact spot and also missed some important item. It's definitely the kind of mistake you won't make again. Since I play on a console I use visual space on my computer for virtual post-its. Some examples:

"Do not forget when you have the shovel" (I once lost about 15 minutes to hunting for moon pearl because I forgot about the shovel)
"Go to dark world if practical instead of checking every little place in light world"
"If flute is in TT don't forget to activate it afterwards"
"Don't flood swamp key!"

Having those visuals ready to look at helps make sure in the heat of a race I don't go doing those things.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Hyphen-ated posted:

It's okay, I lost and forfeit my first match because I forgot to hit a button in Ice Palace that spawns a chest, and that chest had the Bow in it.

Today I saw two different racers forget to go back to the back end of the escape sequence after they got a bomb, and both times it held progression.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

KariOhki posted:

It's okay, I lost and forfeit my first match because I forgot to hit a button in Ice Palace that spawns a chest, and that chest had the Bow in it.

Today I saw two different racers forget to go back to the back end of the escape sequence after they got a bomb, and both times it held progression.

Ice Palace is really loving confusing if you’re looking for items. Your best bet with it is to count your items and go back if you didn’t get three.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I saw Billy Mitchell yesterday at the Midwest Gaming Classic. He looks like if Peter Dinklage was stretched to normal adult man height.

This is all I really know about Billy Mitchell, thanks for listening

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
He just did an interview with some retro gaming mag* essentially claiming he'll be vindicated when he releases his own records and also took a shot at the current TG ownership. I expect absolutely nothing to come of this, of course, but it could be entertaining.

* - he sits on the advisory board of said mag. Also, why does a retro gaming mag have an advisory board.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
it's about ethics in retro gaming mag journalism

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Crotch Bat posted:

He just did an interview with some retro gaming mag* essentially claiming he'll be vindicated when he releases his own records and also took a shot at the current TG ownership. I expect absolutely nothing to come of this, of course, but it could be entertaining.

The truth will come out at the same time Bill O'Reilly discredits his accusers and OJ finds the real killer.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

OJ did find the real killer though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm finding the scale of the new randomizer tournament to be kind of annoying (yeah, I know, it's a real original thought). I never felt the need to watch every race but I liked to put them on in the background while I did other work. So far, the races from the new tournament that I've watched have not been very good which is kind of what you expect when half the players of a game are all in the same competition. Does anyone have some good races from the new tournament they'd recommend, whether it's a good race or a total bastard of a seed.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

IcePhoenix posted:

OJ did find the real killer though.

it was the glove all along

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Mount Wario, 200cc, without ever pressing gas/reverse or having auto-accelerate on in 5m 26s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=p8TrUmOpLaw

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

it was the glove all along

This Glover 64 reboot is getting weird.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

sincx posted:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Mount Wario, 200cc, without ever pressing gas/reverse or having auto-accelerate on in 5m 26s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=p8TrUmOpLaw

This is art. Mario Art.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm8gHUS_Krc

This speedrun owns because of the commentary over it imo

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

FirstAidKite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm8gHUS_Krc

This speedrun owns because of the commentary over it imo

it takes fuckin EFFORT to make a good CD

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

it takes fuckin EFFORT to make a good CD

Yeah but I could just make a playlist, like, nobody's gonna see a guy with a CD and go "oh man that guy's so cool"

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Random Stranger posted:

I'm finding the scale of the new randomizer tournament to be kind of annoying (yeah, I know, it's a real original thought). I never felt the need to watch every race but I liked to put them on in the background while I did other work. So far, the races from the new tournament that I've watched have not been very good which is kind of what you expect when half the players of a game are all in the same competition. Does anyone have some good races from the new tournament they'd recommend, whether it's a good race or a total bastard of a seed.

Today had a race where the hook shot was in Ganon's Tower.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Takoluka posted:

Today had a race where the hook shot was in Ganon's Tower.

I am a lttp noob who is mainly watching because I like races and cheering for goons, but how the hell does that work?

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

IcePhoenix posted:

I am a lttp noob who is mainly watching because I like races and cheering for goons, but how the hell does that work?

The only dungeons that always need the hookshot are Swamp Palace and Ganon's Tower itself. So if Swamp has a pendant and none of the item locations you need hookshot to get to have anything important, then your hookshot can show up in GT before the part where you need it to progress. (you can also beat GT without it by hovering, but the logic will never demand that)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

IcePhoenix posted:

Ganon's Tower requires the Hook Shot to proceed after the 2nd Moldorm fight, and depending on item locations, it could be the ONLY required Hook Shot use.

That would mean no required items in Swamp, Mire, Hook Shot Cave, or (potentially!) left side Ganon's Tower.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Similarly, all three sword upgrades can be in GT, which is “fun” when it happens.

Or, if you want it to be as evil as possible: Cane on GT torch, vanilla boots, hookshot behind Armos 2, GT big key locked by the cane, green pendant at Swamp, and the swords at pendant Vitreous, pendant Trinex, and the pedestal.

e: Or better yet, put the medallion to get into Mire on the torch, and put the cane in Mire, along with the sword. That’s a mandatory triple-dip into GT.

Double Punctuation fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I mean, realistically you're probably not gonna miss out on a terrible lot of things if you wait until week 3 or 4 to start watching more regularly. That's probably about the time when we'll focus more on getting the better players restreamed (aka the people with more wins rather than the guys who are 0-4 or something). There's still been quite a few close or awesome races, but I won't deny there's also been a few horrible blowouts with like 45+ minute differences in finishing times.

e: also my first tournament match had the bow in GT Tile Room (both PoD/EP Pendants) so if you're interested in watching me lose by literally full clearing everything I could, then forfeiting before checking tile room (because gently caress tile room) and then finishing the seed anyway, go look for that race I guess :v: