Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Yea I noticed a lot of that too. Just goes to show you that actually executing an idea can be worth millions, meanwhile I can't finish a small Unity project because I hate my code.

The code doesn't need to be perfect it just needs to work.

But yeah Terraria would have benefited from less bad code. Minecraft is apparently having issues implementing new stuff because so much of the code is a spaghettified mess. I really wonder how much that's also been true of Terraria. Granted in this case I get the feeling they've been fixing that given how much new content has come out.

Also I run into the same problem; despite having a game Greenlit I still haven't sat down and actually finished it because I keep starting over and rewriting it. It seems like every time I read a new software engineering book I find an excuse to just rewrite everything I've ever done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Gotta finish :)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Also I run into the same problem; despite having a game Greenlit I still haven't sat down and actually finished it because I keep starting over and rewriting it. It seems like every time I read a new software engineering book I find an excuse to just rewrite everything I've ever done.

You can do it! I believe in your power to complete your game :)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I want a Terraria 2 because I want another game as good as Terraria that isn't the same game with mods or another bit of content added in somewhere.

Pretty much, I don't need a Terarria 2 but I'd like another game in the genre that's as good and no one else has shown the capability to make one.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Hi folks I installed a mod that would let me change the world characteristics but it's been so long since I played Terraria I forgot the name and how to load it. Any help much appreciated.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
You’re looking for TerraCustom.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

In other news I started up a new modded playthrough using different overhaul mods and I am having trouble starting up Magic Storage because I can't find any loving topaz. Among other things I put nearly a thousand desert fossil into an extractinator and got no topaz.

I found two off some weird enemy which exploded into gems when it died but only two, and I need two more to make the Auto Chests gem gatherer so I can stop being dependent on finding the drat things randomly.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

For anyone interested in the Overhaul mod, fair warning: The developer is kind of a douchebag. First I asked him about why the space gun was using up mana when the tooltip for the meteorite armor states that it makes the space gun free. He responded by passive aggressively mentioning how much he wanted to strangle someone. Later I asked if Overhaul was supposed to make the game harder because when I faced the Wall of Flesh with Overhaul on, I got myself spanked pretty quickly, but once I turned Overhaul off, the thing melted in no time flat. He said Overhaul makes the game easier and I should shoot the wall until it dies. When I inquired further (seeing as how I was already doing just that) he just ignored me.

Maybe I'm crazy but I think if you're going to ask people to donate to your Patreon and hang out in your Discord, maybe you shouldn't act like an Internet baby. So fair warning with Overhaul, it's a rough time killing that drat wall of flesh with that mod on. It removes iframes and doesn't give you the option to turn them back on.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 16, 2018

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Zereth posted:

In other news I started up a new modded playthrough using different overhaul mods and I am having trouble starting up Magic Storage because I can't find any loving topaz. Among other things I put nearly a thousand desert fossil into an extractinator and got no topaz.

I found two off some weird enemy which exploded into gems when it died but only two, and I need two more to make the Auto Chests gem gatherer so I can stop being dependent on finding the drat things randomly.

Just use cheat sheet and then uninstall or disable it.

EDIT: Or, I guess, make spelunker potions and get them legit. But if you've got the mod that adds the gem crawlers you should be able to hang out at the appropriate depth and farm them a bit. Make a tunnel that leads off the edge of your screen to encourage them.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

crestfallen posted:

You’re looking for TerraCustom.

Thanks much!!!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Crimson Harvest posted:

Just use cheat sheet and then uninstall or disable it.

EDIT: Or, I guess, make spelunker potions and get them legit. But if you've got the mod that adds the gem crawlers you should be able to hang out at the appropriate depth and farm them a bit. Make a tunnel that leads off the edge of your screen to encourage them.
I eventually found some, and then I just make the chest and it spits a bunch of gems at me every 4:30 am.

My one big complaint about Magic Storage is the sheer quantity gems it takes to make everything.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DaveKap posted:

:words: about Overhaul making the game harder
I believe one of the things Overhaul does is remove mercy invincibly from the player, and the Wall of Flesh tends to send large piles of attacks your way.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

I eventually found some, and then I just make the chest and it spits a bunch of gems at me every 4:30 am.

My one big complaint about Magic Storage is the sheer quantity gems it takes to make everything.

Yeah, I usually just cheat in a stack of endgame storage units and the rest of the storage parts for that reason.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, I usually just cheat in a stack of endgame storage units and the rest of the storage parts for that reason.
I don't want to install something that lets me just outright cheat like that because I'd bee too tempted to use it for other things.

Static!
Jul 17, 2007

Hold on, I'm watching this...
This thread has been barren for months until the much awaited cancellation of this cursed spin off.

How many of you are actually actively playing Terraria recently or rn and where have you been?

Did hearing about the stillbirth of the new game make you want to boot up the original again for another spin? I'm honestly curious.

I bought the game a few months ago and played with a goon through most of vanilla. (Killed moon, still need more mats to make better weapons and get the terrarian) He hadn't played 1.3 yet and it was new to him too so we both had a great time going through it all.

Add me on Steam if you wanna play now that we know there's nothing to look forward to. id: mikaay

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Static! posted:

This thread has been barren for months until the much awaited cancellation of this cursed spin off.

How many of you are actually actively playing Terraria recently or rn and where have you been?

Did hearing about the stillbirth of the new game make you want to boot up the original again for another spin? I'm honestly curious.

I bought the game a few months ago and played with a goon through most of vanilla. (Killed moon, still need more mats to make better weapons and get the terrarian) He hadn't played 1.3 yet and it was new to him too so we both had a great time going through it all.

Add me on Steam if you wanna play now that we know there's nothing to look forward to. id: mikaay

I dick around with mods every few months. Was thinking about doing that, saw posts, :justpost:

There's still things to look forward to. 1.3.6 will probably be out this year sometime, with the rest of the content that didn't make it for 1.3.5. And 1.4 is a thing that's going to happen eventually.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I started playing with a group of friends recently and someone suggested mods. Last time I attempted mods was when Story of Red Cloud came out and I gave up trying to install it. Now modloader makes everything easy and we're up to Lunatic Cultist on an expert Thorium playthrough. We also have Magic Storage because holy poo poo it's a huge QoL upgrade.

I'm also playing a single player game with a large number of mods thrown together, but I think the game honestly suffers a bit when you have too much content competing for space during the same phases of the game. Your inventory starts to fill up FAST.

Speaking of Thorium, is it a good idea to keep the Worm Scarf equipped basically forever? I'm trying to decide if it's worth upgrading to the Mantle of the Survivor, and as a summoner my accessory slots are at a premium.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cicadalek posted:

I started playing with a group of friends recently and someone suggested mods. Last time I attempted mods was when Story of Red Cloud came out and I gave up trying to install it. Now modloader makes everything easy and we're up to Lunatic Cultist on an expert Thorium playthrough. We also have Magic Storage because holy poo poo it's a huge QoL upgrade.

I'm also playing a single player game with a large number of mods thrown together, but I think the game honestly suffers a bit when you have too much content competing for space during the same phases of the game. Your inventory starts to fill up FAST.

Speaking of Thorium, is it a good idea to keep the Worm Scarf equipped basically forever? I'm trying to decide if it's worth upgrading to the Mantle of the Survivor, and as a summoner my accessory slots are at a premium.

The worm scarf is really good to have, yes. And piling on tons of giant do everything mods is indeed a bad idea, but mixing 2 or 3 of them isn't the end of the world.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
My friend and I had a TON of fun with vanilla Terraria but never ended up getting past the Lunatic Cultist. That was around 2 years ago and we're both interested in playing again, what types of multiplayer mods make the game a bit more interesting without being TOO different. We both have very different playstyles, where I prefer to get guns and fight from a distance while he prefers walling himself in and just using Yo-yos to cheese.

I don't want things to be too different though, so just quality of life addons.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I remember using .Net reflector to peek into the leak version's source code out of curiosity and found a lot of really confusing code. Weird stuff like

code:

if (33 < 99) {
    return false
{

Is that was obfuscated code looks like? Well anyways, that's my early days of Terraria memory.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

No, that's not what obfuscated code looks like. Red was a terrible coder at the time. Like all of the weapons were the same class and a huge pile of if else if was what showed the graphic or something.

A lot of Terraria's code is very, very bad. Or was, at least; it's probably been cleaned up a lot since.

Obfuscated code renames all the variables and functions into gibberish, removes comments, and obliterates white space. It takes readable code and makes it very unreadable to people but still readable to machines.

On the contrary I'd say that's most likely obfuscated code if it's how you remember above. Good obfuscators do purposefully weird transformations including introducing arbitrary flow control blocks like the above, to mess up attempts to look broadly at the structure and guess what's going on. It also wastes the time of someone who's actually stepping through executing the each step manually to try and figure out what each variable represents.

Red may have began as a worse coder than he is now, but at no point could he have been so bad that he's just typing in nonsensical no-ops like the above, and yet still have a firm enough grasp of programming to make it both successfully compile and successfully spit out a reasonably behaving game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is there a mod which makes ice skates craftable?

EDIT: Like, a mod which does mostly that, rather than "oh sure Calamity does that". Something that makes those "you need this to combine items at the tinker's workshop but GOOD LUCK FINDING ONE" stuff craftable somehow.

EDIT EDIT: Oh wait, calamity DOES do that. Maybe I'll just pick up the parts I need, enable it, make a new world so I don't risk having it enable briefly messing up my main not-having-calamity world, make the things, and go back...

Zereth fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Apr 16, 2018

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

EDIT: Like, a mod which does mostly that, rather than "oh sure Calamity does that". Something that makes those "you need this to combine items at the tinker's workshop but GOOD LUCK FINDING ONE" stuff craftable somehow.

I'm sure there is but they mostly exist to get you killed by fall damage when you forget you're wearing them

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

I'm sure there is but they mostly exist to get you killed by fall damage when you forget you're wearing them
Also to combine with lightning boots, and I need those to make something else, so. I have a horseshoe-derived item, so I'm not worried about the fall damage.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Zereth posted:

EDIT EDIT: Oh wait, calamity DOES do that. Maybe I'll just pick up the parts I need, enable it, make a new world so I don't risk having it enable briefly messing up my main not-having-calamity world, make the things, and go back...
I think imkSushi's mods might have one that adds recipes for vanilla things. There are actually several but it's been months since I've messed with mods.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

RealFoxy posted:

My friend and I had a TON of fun with vanilla Terraria but never ended up getting past the Lunatic Cultist. That was around 2 years ago and we're both interested in playing again, what types of multiplayer mods make the game a bit more interesting without being TOO different. We both have very different playstyles, where I prefer to get guns and fight from a distance while he prefers walling himself in and just using Yo-yos to cheese.

I don't want things to be too different though, so just quality of life addons.

Thorium is a good one for adding extra content without going overboard. It actually has a huge amount of content overall, but it's integrated pretty well with the progression of the base game, so there's lots of stuff accessible pre-hardmode. Playstyle-wise it adds 2 new classes (bard and healer) while also adding enough stuff to Throwing to make it a third new class. It adds a lot of new enemies, bosses, and equipment, but it doesn't feel too overwhelming.

For quality of life, I cannot reccomend Magic Storage enough for improving on the "just a bunch of chests" method of vanilla. There's also a mod that adds a dedicated slot for wings, which feels a little cheaty but I don't care. bags of Holding and auto trash are probably good too, though i haven't played with them yet.

Thorium also adds some QoL stuff like NPCs that sell pre-hardmode bars and plants.

Basically check this list and see if anything sounds good.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
TerraCustom is probably the best option for ensuring a good supply of gems for Magic Storage without outright cheating them in. I upped my gems to like 200% and there are a decent amount of them. You could go higher and still be okay, I bet.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Static! posted:

To be 100% honest I started up like a week before that news hit because I kept seeing one of my "never plays PC games" friends starting it up over and over again. It was funny because at the time I wondered "Huh, whatever happened to Underworld?" (edit: I even forgot it was called Otherworld) and found out they moved development teams last year. Suddenly reading they outright cancelled it only made me wonder where Terraria 2 or 1.4 are. Lucky me, though, that my combination of mods was already giving me 100+ hours of new-content enjoyment anyway.

So I found a mod at some point and then lost it and now I can't find it again. Isn't there a mod that grants you more accessory slots as you progress through the game? So it's less cheaty about it? Since I couldn't find it, I used Cheat Sheet (I got tired of building, tbh, I'm all 'bout mining/crafting) and gave myself slots I felt appropriate with my progression but I'd rather have a fun little game made of it instead. With so many new content mods, the default slot count just isn't enough.

Zereth posted:

I believe one of the things Overhaul does is remove mercy invincibly from the player, and the Wall of Flesh tends to send large piles of attacks your way.
Yeah I mentioned the iframes. It's because of this particular quirk that I straight up asked the dev of Overhaul to play Wall of Flesh with pre-hardmode equipment and then again with Overhaul on. I just plain don't think he actually balanced for it.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 16, 2018

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

The Alchemy mod that adds a few vendors is super useful. You can buy ingredients, or just buy pre-made multi-buff potions if you want to save space and effort.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I've been playing Oxygen Not Included like crazy, it passed my 400 hours in Terraria 200 hours ago, but the thread being alive again had me go back and start a new Terraria run.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Crimson Harvest posted:

The Alchemy mod that adds a few vendors is super useful. You can buy ingredients, or just buy pre-made multi-buff potions if you want to save space and effort.

This and other quality of life mods like Fargo's(which lets you buy boss spawners) are pretty much requirements for me because they remove so much farming tedium.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Agreed. I have this maybe weird thing where I am totally okay increasing gem counts, buying boss spawners, being able to craft findable things, dedicated wing slot, etc. Like, I still need to find and farm a lot of stuff, this just makes it easier. I kind of enjoy killing bosses over and over, or finding neat ways to trap and farm enemies and so on. Lots of quality of life stuff.

I just don’t want to outright cheat stuff in. To me, that takes away the game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Crimson Harvest posted:

I think imkSushi's mods might have one that adds recipes for vanilla things. There are actually several but it's been months since I've messed with mods.

i think it's the basic imkSushi mod that adds a bunch of varying 'token' drops depending on what biome you're in and you can cobble together like 10 of one kind to get any item from the chest drop table from the corresponding area. there's a lot of stuff along those lines in it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Seen on twitter: :aaaaa:

https://twitter.com/Terraria_Logic/status/985930661268742145

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Noice

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Well that is just fantastic.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

drat that's useful. I wonder if the chest was empty or if it also keeps the contents?

And, uh, did hair always animate?

e: A grass tile jiggles when he walks past it! That's pretty neat.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 16, 2018

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I think that character us using a hairstyle from the Stylist NPC , some (most?) of those are animated.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
For quality of life mods and reduction of grind tedium, there's a few in particular that stand out, some already mentioned.
Imksushi and Fargo's and several other big names increase access to various resources and often add alternate recipes to rare drops. I know in the modpack set I played last time I had like four recipes by which I could craft the Cloud in a Bottle.
Automatic Chests are gated/moderately expensive chests that generate free resources every day. Single biggest grind reducer for me.
And do yourself a favor and just get the Stack Size Plus mod. Being able to store like 25k of any item in a single slot helps a lot, especially when you're like me and never stop mining and end up wrecking your carefully organized chests because you have over 1000 iron ore now or something.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I don't think I could get into Terraria again without friends. Every time I get to the post-wall content single player, I give up at some point because it gets too grindy. Having even one other player makes things go much faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DaveKap posted:

So I found a mod at some point and then lost it and now I can't find it again. Isn't there a mod that grants you more accessory slots as you progress through the game? So it's less cheaty about it? Since I couldn't find it, I used Cheat Sheet (I got tired of building, tbh, I'm all 'bout mining/crafting) and gave myself slots I felt appropriate with my progression but I'd rather have a fun little game made of it instead. With so many new content mods, the default slot count just isn't enough.

Yeah I mentioned the iframes. It's because of this particular quirk that I straight up asked the dev of Overhaul to play Wall of Flesh with pre-hardmode equipment and then again with Overhaul on. I just plain don't think he actually balanced for it.
I have a mod which is called... More Accessories, I think, I don't want to boot the game right now. It adds a drop (guaranteed in expert) from Plantera that gives you another accessory slot, and makes the Wall of Flesh expert item which gives you another accessory slot remain functional in non-expert.

HOLY poo poo that's going to be so nice for being able to remodel rooms and chests and poo poo once I get access to more material than "whatever trees are near the spawn point".

Vib Rib posted:

Automatic Chests are gated/moderately expensive chests that generate free resources every day. Single biggest grind reducer for me.
Yeah, I really like them because you need to get enough of the stuff to make them that you've proven you COULD get the stuff yourself, so now you have the chest do it instead. Plus the gem one is a good way to fuel Magic Storage if you don't want to actually cheat the stuff in.