Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
NSA OP/LP to gently caress with weird n. Idaho survivalists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
(.)(.) - They're eyes or titties (they're titties)

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Kawasaki Nun posted:

(.)(.) - They're eyes or titties

( . Y . )

Yours are sad looking tits

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pfffthahahaha god drat. Laughing at pretty much everything. LAPME

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

vains posted:

( . Y . )

Yours are sad looking tits

Mournful. He posted mournful tits.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

crazyivan45 posted:

I recommend finding the old HBO special Assume the Position with Robert Wuhl. There are two parts, and it’s actually quiet good. He specifically mentions books as the first real ‘mass media’

That's pretty much where I imagine everyone, dumbasses like me included, would consider it starting.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

I looked it up, and apparently books count, which surprises me. I had thought mass media was necessarily electronic.

We consider it electronic based on the culture we grew up in. Goes further back because of how parsimonious it can be when relating to other communication theory. It can get really into the technological side too but communications is super weird and still kinda new. At least as an academic study.

poo poo, people complained about the loving blackboard. Socrates thought writing poo poo down was for chumps (iirc), yet mass media has always been around through art and rhetoric.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Nah. Mass media is basically tv, radio, and print. Someone could make an argument for out of home too. I don’t lump it in with everything else.

What do you mean ‘out of home?’ You are also largely forgetting digital images, and internet broadcasts. Both could be called “print and tv” I guess.

The internet has changed us because it made information truly accessible instead of locked behind paywalls via elitism.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

IMO telegraphy was the tipping point from which everything else has been evolutionary not revolutionary. Movable type made it possible to disseminate an idea widely across time and space accurately, but suddenly having messages that could outrun any mode of transportation was a fundamental shift in the nature of information, one without precedent.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Soulex posted:

We consider it electronic based on the culture we grew up in. Goes further back because of how parsimonious it can be when relating to other communication theory. It can get really into the technological side too but communications is super weird and still kinda new. At least as an academic study.

poo poo, people complained about the loving blackboard. Socrates thought writing poo poo down was for chumps (iirc), yet mass media has always been around through art and rhetoric.

What do you mean ‘out of home?’ You are also largely forgetting digital images, and internet broadcasts. Both could be called “print and tv” I guess.

The internet has changed us because it made information truly accessible instead of locked behind paywalls via elitism.

Out of home meaning literally anything out of home. Billboards, bus stop takeovers, street art, ads in trains.

Yea I’d fit the internet in as digital mass media. There’s no simple way to define the fragmented world of media today. I mean tv doesn’t work the same way it did two years ago. Internet ruined everything.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Media clutter is a big problem yeah. When I can’t take a piss without passing by three advertisements on the way in.

I would absolutely lump out of home with mass media then.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

mods change my name posted:

I've been looking for a new wifi name thank u

Mine is "FBI Surveillance Van"

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Chichevache posted:

Mine is "FBI Surveillance Van"

"Sniff yo packets" for me.
I have wireshark running on the guest network and let me tell you I see some poo poo

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
One of my neighbors has 'Are you stupid' as a wifi name. So I named one of mine 'No you're stupid'.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
what kinda hacker poo poo do you have where you've got more than one wifi :tinfoil:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Mournful. He posted mournful tits.

Like two suicide notes stuffed in a glitter bra.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

boop the snoot posted:

what kinda hacker poo poo do you have where you've got more than one wifi :tinfoil:

2.4/5ghz

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Mines "Routers of Rohan" :shobon:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

boop the snoot posted:

A home wifi AP newer than about 6 years?

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
Most routers have both 2.4ghz and 5ghz frequencies. My 2.4 is DEA van 3 and my 5 is DEA van 4

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Anyone have Harry Anderson on death pool?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Man, mine is just some poo poo about waffles. One of my neighbors had some goony poo poo for his, but he moved. Something about the old stairs question. "I am protected" was not his password.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Soulex posted:

Speeches and works of art are not mass media. The reason I was iffy on books is that the difference in reach between electronic communication and printed books is orders of magnitude. The difference in reach between a guy writing a book and a guy painting a ceiling is even greater. I'll still accept books because they're mass-produced objects, but there's got to be a difference between "media" and "mass media."

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Man, mine is just some poo poo about waffles. One of my neighbors had some goony poo poo for his, but he moved. Something about the old stairs question. "I am protected" was not his password.

its "lljk" jfc

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I joined SA exactly 4,200 days ago today.

My brain has been indelibly scared by images that cannot be unseen.

But I know a stupid in joke password when I see one.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

NSA OP/LP to gently caress with weird n. Idaho survivalists

I should switch mine to "Secret AR-15 3D Printing Lab #2"

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Madurai posted:

Anyone have Harry Anderson on death pool?

we were just talking about how much Night Court owns

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Speeches and works of art are not mass media. The reason I was iffy on books is that the difference in reach between electronic communication and printed books is orders of magnitude. The difference in reach between a guy writing a book and a guy painting a ceiling is even greater. I'll still accept books because they're mass-produced objects, but there's got to be a difference between "media" and "mass media."

It's a matter of scale. Gutenberg was known for his bible, but he was also contracted for pamphlets, posters, and documents. Gutenberg had a print run of tens of thousands of standardized Catholic indulgences for the Church. Within 30 years of the invention, King Henry VII ordered hundreds of thousands of copies of the Papal Bull that approved his marriage to Elizabeth of York.

However, it wasn't as available as modern media. The premium edition of Gutenberg's bible cost half as much as a good stone house in the city, though he still found pre-orders for every bible. But the same year he sold out all his premium bibles, Gutenberg's lenders sued him for outstanding loans, won, and took the first printing press as collateral. Then Gutenberg's former lenders hired Gutenberg's former assistant to run the first printing press for them.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
i mean the printing press did have a bit of a smaller audience at the time and was probably the biggest impact on human literacy but no maybe only digital advertising is the only real mass media

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
True mass media really started with the printing press. It's like one of those things in the history books.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Again, parsimonious depending on the theory you dive into. Is art made for the masses labeled mass media? I’d argue yes.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I think the “mass” in “mass media” is relative based on what year it is and you’re both right.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

i mean the printing press did have a bit of a smaller audience at the time and was probably the biggest impact on human literacy but no maybe only digital advertising is the only real mass media

end nudes

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

If your house is old or large then it's common to have multiple access points, especially on each floor.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

When were you my hermit neighbor?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I am amazed at how bad of an attorney that Cohen is. He's not even a good fixer, he's got records and recordings all over the place.

I'm also amazed at how stupid Hannity is. Like really, you insisted you weren't to be exposed in court and you...didn't have a contingency plan in the event that the judge didn't buy your bullshit?

I'm also depressed because the loving Democrats can't do poo poo to stay on message and dunk on these guys. God drat.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

I think the “mass” in “mass media” is relative based on what year it is and you’re both right.

the idea that traditional mass media would get downgraded because now there's a trillion tweets per capita is pretty hilarious

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I thought radio was the first mass media

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I'd sit alone and watch your light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Maddow got Comey on Thursday

Is there anything new to learn at this point?

• Locked thread