Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Wyvernil posted:

This gives me an idea for a "divine source" or "iconoclast" Warlock that draws power from the gods without being beholden to them.

I really like that idea, sort of a hacker/priest mashup could work... or maybe something more parasite-flavoured...

e: "Yeah, I kind of outgrew the whole 'worship' thing, decided to diversify my power sources. I take some necromantic bits from death, a bit of wrath from the thunder gods, a sprinkle of ruinous curses of infinite madness. But, I mean, you do you." :smug:

lofi fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

xiw posted:

Multiclassing serves a few different purposes

* adding flexibility to the character design process (dip this class and that class to make my perfect wizard)
* creating new options that don't exist as classes already (i want to be a fighter/wizard but that's not a class)
* taking your character in a different direction later on during play (i'm done being a warrior after 6 levels, now i'm a wizard)

I feel like each of these should be handled specifically

#1 is kind of what archetypes and feats are already for, and is what makes balance so impossible - I'd kill it myself in a class-based game and reserve it for full-build-point games.
#2 I feel like the better answer is 'write a class for fighter/wizard' instead - the problem is that doing this isn't super compatible with #1, because every new class you write is more combinatorial madness. But if you remove #1 then #2 becomes good - a lot of 4e's neat classes were answering this problem, and there's a lot of scope for designing a class to do exactly what you want. Why try and wedge druid/paladin awkwardly together when you could write a warden?
#3 is kind of what 3e's multiclassing aimed at, but it never worked well because a non-planned multiclassing would pretty much always be awful at your new thing. Respec mechanics are a better option I think.

for an alternative way of doing things I'd seriously suggest looking at Shadow of the Demon Lord, which is a level and class based game with a "multi-classing" system that solves most of these issues- everybody gets an ancestry (race) that provides benefits at level 0 and level 4, a basic path (class) that provides 4 levels of benefits (1,2,5,8), an expert path that provides 3 (3,6,9) and a master (or 2nd expert path) that provides 2 (7,10, and if it's an expert path you can pick either path's level 9 features)

the number of paths available scales at each tier, so you've got 4 basic paths defining common party roles (magician, priest, rogue, warrior) and then increasingly large numbers of increasingly specialized expert/master paths (16 expert and 64 master in the core book iirc)

this gives you the sort of customization multi-classing always aimed to provide (both in mechanically supporting specific concepts + giving characters increased definition throughout their career), while avoiding a lot of the pitfalls of traditional D&D multi-classing since the game knows what your decision making process will look like and each path is balanced around providing you a certain (rough) level of mechanical benefits per level (with a lot of functionality loaded into deliberately conceptually broad base novice paths), which makes it very hard to gimp yourself *too badly* by just taking fun + fluffy options (though not being gimped is a long way from being maximally effective - the game has quite a lot of room for character optimization)

LGD fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 17, 2018

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
If DnD had a more flexible list of powers for non-casters, there'd be a lot less need for multiclassing to work as it does currently (i.e. allowing a complete change of direction for story/RP purposes and/or adding new abilities). Instead a mix'n'match powers system would give non-casters or half-casters a lot of flex.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Why not give every caster an Eldritch Blast thing that's like, their primary "thing"

So a Warlock has EB, a Wizard can choose between a lightning bolt, ice bolt or fireball, or some sort of statis thing or something

And the rest of the abilities as you level up key to that one like, "main thing", changing it and making it more powerful or differently useful

Then make all of the other spells into scrolls or other things like that

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the DnD spell list is definitely one of the biggest bugaboos in the design. A Necromancer should be its own class. Ditto an Illusionist. Evocation? Sorcs only. Something like that. The universality of any one DnD caster's spell selection is a huge problem.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Waffles Inc. posted:

Why not give every caster an Eldritch Blast thing that's like, their primary "thing"

So a Warlock has EB, a Wizard can choose between a lightning bolt, ice bolt or fireball, or some sort of statis thing or something

And the rest of the abilities as you level up key to that one like, "main thing", changing it and making it more powerful or differently useful

Then make all of the other spells into scrolls or other things like that

This sounds good to me. I'm okay with fighter powers being "I attack" or "ask your gm" if wizard powers are also "I attack" or "ask your gm".

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

lofi posted:

I really like that idea, sort of a hacker/priest mashup could work... or maybe something more parasite-flavoured...

e: "Yeah, I kind of outgrew the whole 'worship' thing, decided to diversify my power sources. I take some necromantic bits from death, a bit of wrath from the thunder gods, a sprinkle of ruinous curses of infinite madness. But, I mean, you do you." :smug:

That would be a lot like a Glorantha god-learner, where they changed myths to suit their goals, with predictable results.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Well, the results were often mostly unpredictable, but God Learners are literally a group whose motto is basically "gently caress Should, We Could". This is also a good motto for a certain kind of player character so I'm all for it.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Serf posted:

the superior design of Shadow of the Demon Lord haunts this thread

The real shadow of the Demon Lord is his good design ethos.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

roll will to avoid losing your enthusiasm for D&D NEXT: Dungeons & Dragons: The Fifth One

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Wyvernil posted:

But I guess there's a niche for a mechanically-simple fighter that does nothing but "I hit the guy". The people who play these kinds of characters are probably the same ones who spend the whole game on their phones not paying attention.

I think there should be a few options that are extremely simple, because there will be people who literally cannot handle a certain amount of complexity. If it were any game other than The Game Everyone Knows, it'd be a lot easier for me to say "Play something else", but in some places, if you're going to get to play at all, D&D is your option.

I've played games with people who have disabilities that affect their capacity to make these complex decisions, and having simplified characters means they can play the game that everyone else plays.

Serf posted:

i'll whip you up a normie hack no prob

Man I've wanted to play that game throw that my way too

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I like that it’s a Normie Hack and not a “This Could Be Actually Triggering For Some Of My Players” Hack but I’m not going to say no or not say thank you for putting in the effort.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Mr. Maltose posted:

I like that it’s a Normie Hack and not a “This Could Be Actually Triggering For Some Of My Players” Hack but I’m not going to say no or not say thank you for putting in the effort.
Which parts are you concerned with? There's some stuff that I could see being potentially problematic in the rules, but I've barely touched the story parts.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

two of my players were actually "joined" by forbidden magic :whitewater:

[goon project]lets make a table of goblin odd habits that don't involve genitals, body fluids, or cannibalism

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Turns out my players are totally cool with Lost Mines and since I might keep running 5e after this adventure same characters or not I'm moving it to my dumb personal setting because who wants to play an entire campaign in the Forgotten Realms honestly

The only thing is I really want to do something different with the setting's gods and I'm not sure what yet. What would be cool but not completely "gently caress you if you play a cleric or paladin" levels of change?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

Turns out my players are totally cool with Lost Mines and since I might keep running 5e after this adventure same characters or not I'm moving it to my dumb personal setting because who wants to play an entire campaign in the Forgotten Realms honestly

The only thing is I really want to do something different with the setting's gods and I'm not sure what yet. What would be cool but not completely "gently caress you if you play a cleric or paladin" levels of change?

Use the Eberron Pantheon.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

Let the party Paladin(s) and Cleric(s) tell you about their god(s). Don't make the player have to learn a bunch of stuff that will be integral to their character's core belief systems--let them make it up themselves.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Well here are my unpopular crack theories, laugh at them if you want.

-Just burn ability scores. Seriously. People of the same class tend to all look the same ability score wise anyway, so what the hell is the point of having them any more? Ability damage? That is tedious and it sucks. If you want your dude to be strong or smart or whatever, maybe that's a keyword from your background that does stuff? Not sure on this yet.

-Split the casters, you don't get to be a wizard who does everything anymore. You can have a class called wizard who does evocation and some divination, sure, but having the thing where you can take animate dead and have an entire army that doesn't conflict with your black tentacles slots. I think even Gary Gygax was planning to do this before TSR got 2e, so this isn't even that hard to justify to grogs. Noe that this lets you have pet classes that are balanced around having their pets out, so the necromancer's life drain does less damage when he has his big undead out.

-Every class gets combat powers and then everyone gets a piece of cool narrative poo poo. Not every class can do all the cool narrative poo poo, so if you are a Lord who can do politics things you get a benefit from working with an Assassin who does criminal things. If a druid joins your team you guys can add shapeshifting things to your stack of fun, necromancers can perform divinations by asking dead people, psions can read minds, warriors can smash temples and walls, etc. These scale with your level so high level warriors are smashing mountains and shapeshifters can become rocs or something that carry the entire party. You will probably have to put in some work to prevent Cartman from having his power be that he has all the powers, but it's doable.

-After a certain point people get followers and temples and stuff, so you can have a kingdom management and politics minigame. It's something people are always trying to hack into D&D, and it provides a convenient outlet for people who want to have armies, undead legions, demon hordes, or acolytes. They go into the crap pile of guys you can pull out when the kingdom declares war and for everyday adventuring you have your 1 undead hydra or doomguard or whatever.

-Multiclassing can go gently caress right off. If you want to play a warrior-wizard people are constantly making that as a hybrid class, so just release one of those in the core book and you kill 55% of multiclass scenarios right there. Include the 4e thing where you just grab a few powers off other people's lists so your warrior can learn a few spells to troll people, and we're gold.

-On that note, no passive abilities that boost each other. +20% fire damage is boring and also bad for the game, because it either pushes your character or takes up a customization slot to make you stay level appropriate. Character customization consists pretty much just of class power selection, and once you get a power it just scales with your level.

I have some more ideas but I've rambled enough.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Well here are my unpopular crack theories, laugh at them if you want.

-Just burn ability scores. Seriously. People of the same class tend to all look the same ability score wise anyway, so what the hell is the point of having them any more? Ability damage? That is tedious and it sucks. If you want your dude to be strong or smart or whatever, maybe that's a keyword from your background that does stuff? Not sure on this yet.

-Split the casters, you don't get to be a wizard who does everything anymore. You can have a class called wizard who does evocation and some divination, sure, but having the thing where you can take animate dead and have an entire army that doesn't conflict with your black tentacles slots. I think even Gary Gygax was planning to do this before TSR got 2e, so this isn't even that hard to justify to grogs. Noe that this lets you have pet classes that are balanced around having their pets out, so the necromancer's life drain does less damage when he has his big undead out.

-Every class gets combat powers and then everyone gets a piece of cool narrative poo poo. Not every class can do all the cool narrative poo poo, so if you are a Lord who can do politics things you get a benefit from working with an Assassin who does criminal things. If a druid joins your team you guys can add shapeshifting things to your stack of fun, necromancers can perform divinations by asking dead people, psions can read minds, warriors can smash temples and walls, etc. These scale with your level so high level warriors are smashing mountains and shapeshifters can become rocs or something that carry the entire party. You will probably have to put in some work to prevent Cartman from having his power be that he has all the powers, but it's doable.

-After a certain point people get followers and temples and stuff, so you can have a kingdom management and politics minigame. It's something people are always trying to hack into D&D, and it provides a convenient outlet for people who want to have armies, undead legions, demon hordes, or acolytes. They go into the crap pile of guys you can pull out when the kingdom declares war and for everyday adventuring you have your 1 undead hydra or doomguard or whatever.

-Multiclassing can go gently caress right off. If you want to play a warrior-wizard people are constantly making that as a hybrid class, so just release one of those in the core book and you kill 55% of multiclass scenarios right there. Include the 4e thing where you just grab a few powers off other people's lists so your warrior can learn a few spells to troll people, and we're gold.

-On that note, no passive abilities that boost each other. +20% fire damage is boring and also bad for the game, because it either pushes your character or takes up a customization slot to make you stay level appropriate. Character customization consists pretty much just of class power selection, and once you get a power it just scales with your level.

I have some more ideas but I've rambled enough.

Yes to all of this. Normalize damage output across classes, give everyone a slice of narrative power and utility, standardize multiclassing as hybrid advanced classes, gently caress ability scores. I don't personally care about followers but that sounds cool and that recent kickstarter sure makes stuff like that seem popular.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

FRINGE posted:

This is really dumb. If you make the vast amount of good material from before unusable a bunch of people will never look at MTG DnD the book collecting game again.

Even now DnD is doing fine. The complaints in this thread are not that representative of whether people are buying and playing it and having fun in the real world.

The question posed wasn't "fix D&D so it sells better" though, and I'd argue that there is a very good chance that we are in a bubble where it's impossible to tell if D&D is actually doing well long-term or if these good sales they're seeing are people playing the game once or the game being gotten by/given to people that watch a stream and will never play. Personally, it's gotten harder to find AL locally and I don't see any uptick of groups looking for play in local areas, so I'm sorta leaning towards this just being a bubble that 5E is lucky enough to enjoy.

Also whether or not people are having fun playing is completely irrelevant. The complaints in this thread are sometimes over the top but they're not somehow invalidated because someone likes playing D&D. What the hell is that argument?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Kaysette posted:

Yes to all of this. Normalize damage output across classes, give everyone a slice of narrative power and utility, standardize multiclassing as hybrid advanced classes, gently caress ability scores. I don't personally care about followers but that sounds cool and that recent kickstarter sure makes stuff like that seem popular.

On the other hand gently caress summons and gently caress hirelings.

D&D combat ain't quick and adding 50 different minions whiffing a turn doesn't help.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
People have fun playing lovely games all the time, much like they have fun engaging in all sorts of lovely activities, because being in a group with your friends engaging in social action is something the human brain is rigged to reward with dopamine. But that doesn't mean the game is allowing the fun to happen, enhancing the fun, or even inhibiting the theoretical "Maximum Fun" of game night. It's a lovely metric, and you'd think after nearly a decade of people talking about this people would stop saying "But we're having fun so it's fine".

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Got yelled at by someone on the internet for suggesting that taking prisoners is a waste of time in D&D as evil aligned beings aren't likely to stop being evil.

This is supported textually, correct?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Xae posted:

D&D combat ain't quick and adding 50 different minions whiffing a turn doesn't help.

That’s true, gently caress the way they are currently done. Minions should essentially replicate spell-like effects in combat. Wall of shields instead of wall of fire, seize him instead of entangle, etc.

Conjuration has hosed up combat since at least 3.5

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

kidkissinger posted:

Got yelled at by someone on the internet for suggesting that taking prisoners is a waste of time in D&D as evil aligned beings aren't likely to stop being evil.

A Goblin is defined as being "neutral evil", and since there is no textual support for changing of alignments, then yes, someone who is evil ... is evil.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Maltose posted:

People have fun playing lovely games all the time, much like they have fun engaging in all sorts of lovely activities, because being in a group with your friends engaging in social action is something the human brain is rigged to reward with dopamine. But that doesn't mean the game is allowing the fun to happen, enhancing the fun, or even inhibiting the theoretical "Maximum Fun" of game night. It's a lovely metric, and you'd think after nearly a decade of people talking about this people would stop saying "But we're having fun so it's fine".

It’s also worth asking who isn’t having fun. There’s people who enjoy the rules as is and people who mostly ignore them, and that’s fine, but there’s also everyone who got party wiped in the first fight or stared at their phone for 10 minutes because the rogue and GM are trying to hash out exactly how pickpocketing in a fight via Magic Hand works, or spends most of their mental energy as a GM redesigning encounters and mechanics. If we want to talk about fun we need to talk about avoiding or fixing issues with the game.

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Wyvernil posted:

Maybe the concepts of the battlemaster and monk could be combined to make a Martial Technique list to complement the spell list? The monk could fit in as a "martial caster" type who focuses on techniques(including the over-the-top supernatural stuff that would be at home in DBZ), while the fighter and rogue specialize in the less flashy/more sneaky techniques. Sort of how the Swordsage and Warblade functioned in the Book of Nine Swords supplement for 3E.

So for fighter archetypes, you have the arcane Eldritch Knight, the ki/tech-based Battlemaster, and the Champion for the "hit guy with sword" guys.

To avoid the 4e complaints that martial and arcane powers felt the same, maybe the techniques are more short rest-based, while spells need long rests.

I had some similar thoughts and put some efforts into making a Universal Martial Maneuvers homebrew. Here's the $2 version and here's the PWYW version.

It folds Battlemaster into all fighters, extends limited maneuvers access to other martials and barely any maneuvers access for casters. The maneuvers are indeed short-rest based. 5e playtests had something of this kind of system but it morphed into the more rigid feats / ASI system and yeah.

gradenko_2000 posted:

the DnD spell list is definitely one of the biggest bugaboos in the design. A Necromancer should be its own class. Ditto an Illusionist. Evocation? Sorcs only. Something like that. The universality of any one DnD caster's spell selection is a huge problem.

I agree with this, along with extending something like martial maneuvers to non casters. For me allowing more flexibility to character abilities / powers than the 5e class / feats would help.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

kidkissinger posted:

The question is kind of vague, but there's a difference between a person with evil alignment and an evil being. A demon is capital 'e' Evil, and will never stop being evil. It's an intrinsic part of who they are, and if they're no longer evil, they're no longer a demon. Good deities created races with free will--a human, dwarf, or elf who is evil could become good, much like a person who is good could become evil. Evil deities did not. Evil aligned races can be good, but they are "inclined towards evil" and "struggle against [their] innate tendencies [toward evil]." The circumstances vary, and most evil beings will continue to be evil, because redeeming someone is hard, but it's not impossible (unless they're Evil).

There're two other good reasons to take prisoners:
  • Some gods/pantheons/vows/whatever frown upon killing the helpless.
  • Taking prisoners can often be pragmatic, either in terms of gaining knowledge or using them to barter with a greater threat like the captured enemy's boss.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Blockhouse posted:

who wants to play an entire campaign in the Forgotten Realms honestly

This comes up every few pages, but just in case: FR is staggeringly vast and if all you know about is The Sword Coast then you have 95% of it to use in lots of other ways.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

This sounds good to me. I'm okay with fighter powers being "I attack" or "ask your gm" if wizard powers are also "I attack" or "ask your gm".

Did someone say simple magic guy with the option to just mindlessly I-attack-the-biggest-one whenever your attention is dragged away from your phone for a second?

Work in progress, needs another archetype, needs to be playtested way more. CHANNELER: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4oz3kpa9b6p0tsj/CHANNELER.pdf?dl=0

Xae posted:

Did someone say "gently caress summons"? How about gently caress you, buddy?

I kid, I kid. Summons, minions, pets, hirelings etc all suck pretty bad. I've been thinking about how you'd do summoning without making each of your turns be 10+ turns. that combined with thinking about my Channeler class in terms of how it feels really weird but kinda cool to have a magic character that doesn't cast any spells at all. Here's what I've come up with so far. Work in (very early) progress, third archetype missing, everything completely untested, numbers mean basically nothing because I pulled most of them out of my rear end as a starting point. DEMONOLOGIST https://www.dropbox.com/s/m6dp35dt0q2w8ka/DEMONOLOGIST.pdf?dl=0

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 17, 2018

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

FRINGE posted:

This comes up every few pages, but just in case: FR is staggeringly vast and if all you know about is The Sword Coast then you have 95% of it to use in lots of other ways.

sure but uh nobody gives a gently caress

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

FRINGE posted:

I get it but if I'm going to play in a generic fantasy setting I rather it be a generic fantasy setting made by me and my friends

Like there's nothing I specifically like about FR enough to do a whole game there like I would Eberron or whatever. Maybe that's because so much of the Realms have disseminated into D&D and fantasy as a whole but that doesn't change how I feel about it.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

How can I prevent my dragon's breath'd familiar from getting instasniped every time?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kidkissinger posted:

How can I prevent my dragon's breath'd familiar from getting instasniped every time?

Have him hide behind you. If it is small enough that should give it total cover.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

Have him hide behind you. If it is small enough that should give it total cover.

And with 60ft. of movement he can still blast away. Nice!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blockhouse posted:

I get it but if I'm going to play in a generic fantasy setting I rather it be a generic fantasy setting made by me and my friends

Like there's nothing I specifically like about FR enough to do a whole game there like I would Eberron or whatever. Maybe that's because so much of the Realms have disseminated into D&D and fantasy as a whole but that doesn't change how I feel about it.

I enjoy playing in published settings and also like the Realms quite a bit. But of course there is nothing wrong with using your own setting. It's not like Lost Mines is super attached to FR other then the map which can easily be cut and pasted into your own setting.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

FRINGE posted:

Just last session I took my home-brewed island chain and retconned it to be one of the remote chains on the west side of the world so I didn't have to bullshit everything off the top of my head when my dudes decide to sail around the world.

Feels like a lot of weight off my shoulders, because none of us know anything other than Sword Coast (specifically LMoP and maybe some Baldur's Gate or something) so it's new to us either way.

They may very well end up back in the Sword Coast, but it's a big rear end area regardless and none of us are married to the exact lore of the world anyways so at least I don't have to spend my time making maps.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

kidkissinger posted:

hold it in your arms and tug it's tail when you want it to fire

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
If you're really concerned, you can always boop it away into a pocket dimension, at the cost of an action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FRINGE posted:

Thats a good argument for keeping them separate. Sorcerer should be Con, since they are burning their own energy for spells. Having that much "life energy" doesnet mean they can military press a horse.
A while back, and not a direct attack on you you're just the last person in the conversation, but every argument against keeping con and str separate can be used for splitting up dex into agility and fingerwork, and splitting up wisdom/charisma into cunning, perception, willpower, and charm. Merging or dicing up stats are both fine, the important thing is to keep things that cost equal resources have equivalent* utility. D&D's various methods of choosing your ability scores works best when each ability score is a discrete package containing thematic passive and active combat and rp benefits.

xiw posted:

Multiclassing serves a few different purposes

* adding flexibility to the character design process (dip this class and that class to make my perfect wizard)
* creating new options that don't exist as classes already (i want to be a fighter/wizard but that's not a class)
* taking your character in a different direction later on during play (i'm done being a warrior after 6 levels, now i'm a wizard)
They really dropped the ball here not leveraging archetypes into being the multiclass system. "A bit of Wizard" should be a generic archetype available to everyone. If you get sick of being a Fighter who Wizards you can swap out at level X to be a Wizard who Fighters. Then you can frontload classes as much as you want because the archetype progression doesn't have to match the class progression.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Apr 17, 2018