Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

The Walrus posted:

Skyrim is cool because there are about 10 "main" questlines. Even if you don't want to do any sidequests at all you still have 150 hours of game at least to do the Main, Civil War, and Guilds quests.

You didn’t mention the REAL quest. Collecting all the skulls and making a skull pit in breezehome.
https://clips.twitch.tv/PopularDarkEagleArgieB8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Or my real quest of assembling the greatest library known to man.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I was disappointed to learn even with a library wing when you build a DLC house with it can't hold all the books you pick up :smith:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Mods, my friend. Install the Unlimited Bookshelves mod and they will fit. All of them.

That said I take care to make sure there's only one copy of each book.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A guy on Reddit returned his vive pro and went back to his rift because he didn't think the resolution was worth 800 dollars. He took his 800 dollars and bought a tpcast for his rift as well as a Samsung Odyssey for some reason. Seems like HTC is once again demanding a premium price for a device that isn't really a premium over the competition.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Cojawfee posted:

A guy on Reddit returned his vive pro and went back to his rift because he didn't think the resolution was worth 800 dollars. He took his 800 dollars and bought a tpcast for his rift as well as a Samsung Odyssey for some reason. Seems like HTC is once again demanding a premium price for a device that isn't really a premium over the competition.

"A guy on Reddit" is truly the best source of the most respected opinions :v:

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Cojawfee posted:

Seems like HTC is once again demanding a premium price for a device that isn't really a premium over the competition.

Ah, yes. The Apple approach to products and pricing

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cojawfee posted:

Vive have been pretty open about the fact that the "Pro" in Vive Pro is meant as in "professional developer" rather than any serious attempt to be the best consumer headset. It's an overpriced dev kit upgrade.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
:siren: Linus Drill Tips :siren:

https://youtu.be/Gx5DV5zFKlU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm glad I was able to partially avoid the spectre of spending moneyon that thing by buying a deluxe audio strap instead :v:

(this thing owns btw, absolutely worth the--well actually it should have been part of the first headset so I won't say it was "worth" it but I'm happy to have paid for it anyway)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

You might want to check out Technolust, its not a 90's sort of thing, but it is a cyberpunk, blade runner type world where you're a hacker doing stuff. Its not super long, or super difficult, but Its pretty atmospheric and well done.

Thanks! I impulse bought Darknet last night and it seems pretty great! Too complicated to demo to friends without restarting to the tutorial but actually kinda fun for me too in short bursts, so that's okay.

I'll take a look at Technolust later too!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ciaphas posted:

I'm glad I was able to partially avoid the spectre of spending moneyon that thing by buying a deluxe audio strap instead :v:

(this thing owns btw, absolutely worth the--well actually it should have been part of the first headset so I won't say it was "worth" it but I'm happy to have paid for it anyway)

I figured I'd be happy for a while with just the Vive, but now I get what some of the complaints have been talking about and I'm gonna get a Deluxe Audio Strap later in the week myself :retrogames:.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I figured I'd be happy for a while with just the Vive, but now I get what some of the complaints have been talking about and I'm gonna get a Deluxe Audio Strap later in the week myself :retrogames:.

If it makes you feel any better about :retrogames:ing over this stupid thing

- The fit is considerably improved just by having one sizing point, let alone the hard straps being more comfortable and accepting of weight
- The headphones are actually quite good, for an open-ear bolt-on (if you get them adjusted right they should push on your ears and click into place)
- The cable arrangement (use the little divot on the right to hold the cable, like the manual will mention) seems to keep it out of the way better than the overhead arrangement of the basic strap

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

If it makes you feel any better about :retrogames:ing over this stupid thing

- The fit is considerably improved just by having one sizing point, let alone the hard straps being more comfortable and accepting of weight
- The headphones are actually quite good, for an open-ear bolt-on (if you get them adjusted right they should push on your ears and click into place)
- The cable arrangement (use the little divot on the right to hold the cable, like the manual will mention) seems to keep it out of the way better than the overhead arrangement of the basic strap

Is it worth buying over just plugging in headphones / earbuds I already have?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I would consider the deluxe audio strap a mandatory upgrade. You might not think it's so bad without it, but once you put on a headset with built in headphones and a rigid strap and feel how much better the fit is and how much more convenient it is to put on, you'll kick yourself for not doing it earlier.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

I sigh as I say so, but yes. Basically what Lemming said. I just wish it had been part of the Vive in the first place, I suppose.

(e)

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Yes. You're buying it more for the weight distribution than the headphone quality.

The weight distribution means more than comfort, too; it means the headset is easily in the right place on your face for good focus and minimum light leak every time without fuss.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 16, 2018

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

EbolaIvory posted:

I put 6 hours into flatscreen
I've put 8 Into VR.

I've owned flatscreen for coming on 5 years.

Its fun. Follow the story and wander around. In VR its a great time. Plus if you hate it an hour in, refund it.

I spent over an hour of in game time setting up mods. I haven't actually played past the intro sequence and I think I'm 3-4 hours of logged play time.

That said it is rad and 100% worth playing.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yes. You're buying it more for the weight distribution than the headphone quality.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Deluxe audio strap is absolutely worth it. It would be worth it even without the ear phones, it's a significant improvement for how it sits on your head, how stable it is, and how easy to adjust it is.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
100% agreed with all of the above about the DAS. I was a doubter until I got it as an xmas gift, figuring that it wasn't actually any more comfortable, just easier to set up properly to be comfortable. I had spent hours tinkering with my stock strap and had it to a point where it was pretty good, so I wasn't expecting much.

The second I put it on I regretted having not bought it the moment it was released. IMO it feels better than the Rift now and the fact that they still don't bundle the new strap is absurd.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 16, 2018

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

wolrah posted:

100% agreed with all of the above about the DAS. I was a doubter until I got it as an xmas gift, figuring that it wasn't actually any more comfortable, just easier to set up properly to be comfortable. I had spent hours tinkering with my stock strap and had it to a point where it was pretty good, so I wasn't expecting much.

The second I put it on I regretted having not bought it the moment it was released. IMO it feels better than the Rift now and the fact that they still don't bundle the new strap is absurd.

They actually might, their new marketing materials (that came along with the $499 price) shows a Rigid strap (no headphones). I've seen no discussion or reviews of this fact. I like the headphones but at least 80% of the value of the DAS is making the Vive more comfortable and stay in place on your face.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Stick100 posted:

They actually might, their new marketing materials (that came along with the $499 price) shows a Rigid strap (no headphones). I've seen no discussion or reviews of this fact. I like the headphones but at least 80% of the value of the DAS is making the Vive more comfortable and stay in place on your face.

I saw that, it does look like there's a new strap that hopefully is as you say the DAS minus headphones. I'd put the value equation a bit more in favor of the headphones because it does make putting the thing on so much more convenient compared to a separate pair, but that's not really a huge deal unless you demo it a lot in which case newb-friendliness is worth a lot more points.

Either way, I agree that the better feel and easier adjustment is the more important part, and the headphones are just gravy.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

wolrah posted:

I saw that, it does look like there's a new strap that hopefully is as you say the DAS minus headphones. I'd put the value equation a bit more in favor of the headphones because it does make putting the thing on so much more convenient compared to a separate pair, but that's not really a huge deal unless you demo it a lot in which case newb-friendliness is worth a lot more points.

Either way, I agree that the better feel and easier adjustment is the more important part, and the headphones are just gravy.

Yes actually you're right I just remembered now that I kept having the earbuds fall out of my ears while sound boxing/other intense games. Knowing they won't fall out has been incredibly useful.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Stick100 posted:

Yes actually you're right I just remembered now that I kept having the earbuds fall out of my ears while sound boxing/other intense games. Knowing they won't fall out has been incredibly useful.
Alternatively, just run your earbuds like this:

I have never had an earbud pull free (or get tangled, or unplugged, or accidentally reversed) in my entire ownership of a Vive.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I recently got back into VR thanks to the cheaper WMR headsets without the need for cameras and lighthouses and it's awesome, but I'm trying to get Alien: Isolation working with MotherVR and I'm not having any luck. Has anyone gotten this working?

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Thirding or fourthing or whatevering the DAS, it really makes long sessions in the Vive so much more pleasant than just the basic setup

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

To quote my favorite German VR reviewer, “DAS good.”

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Before I buy it blind based more or less on goon hype, how well does Sairento work with the Vive wands?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I have no complaints. You’re primarily using guns and swords, both play well with the vive wands.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

So, apparently theres a rumor going around from info out of china that the Vive pro 2.0 full bundle will be coming out on the 19th at around $1400 to $1500 USD.

I would be thinking bullshit at that rumored price, but then, when the rumored leaks were that the headset alone would be $800 I thought that was absolute bullshit too.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Ciaphas posted:

Before I buy it blind based more or less on goon hype, how well does Sairento work with the Vive wands?

Most of the original hype was vive owners. Games good on any platform even the lovely windows controllers. It’s your typical movement + shooting stuff. So if other games like it feel ok, you’ll enjoy it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

EbolaIvory posted:

Most of the original hype was vive owners. Games good on any platform even the lovely windows controllers. It’s your typical movement + shooting stuff. So if other games like it feel ok, you’ll enjoy it.

Righto, thanks. Echo Arena still feels slightly awkward on the Vive so I feel like I had to ask, hard to tell which game is made for which platform :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

'course playing it depends entirely on me distracting myself from playing more Everspace in VR :saddowns:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So in the Bigscreen beta, in a Big Room, does it show my personal monitor as well as the clone of it on the cinema wall? Can I have it display a hidden-to-others copy of my monitor to play the game or whatever with, and everyone else watches the big screen?

(i'm in some room called 'vidya games' if anyone wants to see me be lovely at MWO and listen to LPs or whatever between rounds)

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Raw Data PVP was legit. I wish it had caught on. That was some fun poo poo.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Ciaphas posted:

So in the Bigscreen beta, in a Big Room, does it show my personal monitor as well as the clone of it on the cinema wall? Can I have it display a hidden-to-others copy of my monitor to play the game or whatever with, and everyone else watches the big screen?

(i'm in some room called 'vidya games' if anyone wants to see me be lovely at MWO and listen to LPs or whatever between rounds)

By default everyone can see your personal screen unless you turn off streaming it to others, in which case then only you can see it. If you put something up on the big board though, thats for everyone to see and I don't believe theres any way to make the big screen only visible to you. HOWEVER i think you could just take your personal screen, and move it/resize it so its giant on its own.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Righto, thanks. Echo Arena still feels slightly awkward on the Vive so I feel like I had to ask, hard to tell which game is made for which platform :v:
Oculus doesn't officially support other headsets, so you can assume that any games you're playing on their platform using Vive may feel a bit different - but as I understand it ReVive has options to swap around controls and stuff to make it work a bit more naturally with those controllers?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Nalin posted:

If you use Skyrim VR mods, use the Vortex alpha as your mod manager. It uses NTFS junctions to link your mods so testing out combinations of things is suuuper quick, which is handy in VR as you want to be experimenting and disabling things that affect your framerate too hard. I should probably just create a "how to mod Skyrim VR" post to help people out.

Here is a good base set of Skyrim mods I'm using. These are things I think everyone would benefit having:

HRTF 3D positional audio - Skyrim doesn't have 3D positional audio. What the gently caress. Manually download and extract into the folder where SkyrimVR.exe lives. Both x3daudio1_7.dll and SkyrimVR.exe should be in the same directory, along with a new "hrtf" folder.
Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch - Bug fixes. You should use this. Bethesda games are buggy and anything to help prevent bugs should be used.
Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul - Improves AI behaviors and makes NPCs more life-like.
HD Road Signs 2K Version - Being able to actually read signs in VR is pretty nice. 2K works fine, no need to waste VRAM on 4K.
Optimized Texture for SSE - Changes the compression format on textures to not waste VRAM. Many textures were saved wrong and waste space. This gives you more VRAM room for other texture mods.
Mortal Enemies SE - I'm using the test 2.0 version. It makes melee combat more immersive by making it so enemies can't just lock onto you and instantly spin around to always face you. Immersion is a pretty nice goal for VR.

From there, you can start adding some mesh and texture improvements as your GPU allows:

SMIM SE - Higher poly meshes. Not much else to say.
Skyrim Flora Overhaul SE - Improve flora. An alternative is the 3D Trees and 3D Plants mods, but those have a pretty big FPS hit, so you might find this mod to be better for VR. This might require a beefier GPU or some tweaking, just FYI. I haven't quite finished experimenting with this one; I just wanted to include it as a higher performance alternative to 3D Trees.
Realistic Water Two - Better water. Don't forget the LOD fix.
Obsidian Weathers - Nice weather effects.
RUSTIC CLOTHING - Special Edition - Better clothing textures.
Audio Overhaul Skyrim - Lots of audio improvements. I'm running the version with less reverb. The example video was just crazy with reverb.
WICO Special Edition - Character improvement mod. There are three versions. One uses the vanilla body and the other two use the UNP body (nude and non-nude, don't twitch stream the nude version you idiots).

I've also been trying out some other things like snow replacement mods, blended roads, majestic mountains, etc, but I'm not confident enough to say what works best with what things. And they often cause conflicts so I want to be more certain of what works best before recommending any of them.

So I'm following this list, and I've got "unsolved file conflicts" between a few of these mods. Is there a specific method for resolving this, or does it not matter?

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
Far as I can tell the one that loads last is the one that ends up in game. So if the optimized textures fixes all the original road signs and clothes but you want hd road signs and rustic clothing set those to load after.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
OK, guess I'll put the most "general" mods first, then the specific stuff next. So optimised textures, then the SMIM stuff, then all the specific body/signs/clothes stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Gort posted:

OK, guess I'll put the most "general" mods first, then the specific stuff next. So optimised textures, then the SMIM stuff, then all the specific body/signs/clothes stuff.

Nalin posted:

I was going to make a little tutorial about Vortex, but I discovered that this guy covers everything very well:

Playlist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD9xKao_u30

Unresolved file conflicts are definitely going to happen. You will have to choose the load order for files. The thing that loads LAST is what you will see in your game. In the "MODS" section, the red lightning bolt under the "Dependencies" column will let you choose load order.

You have a couple options, like Load Before and Load After. I would personally recommend that you only set "Load After" options EXCEPT for your base texture pack. Like, if you are using "Optimized Texture for SSE", set only that to "Load Before" for every single conflicting mod. If you are using "Skyrim 2017" textures, have that be "Load Before". The reason I say this is because you can create circular dependencies in Vortex. If mods A and B conflict, you could say A loads before B, and B loads before A. To avoid this, set your base texture pack to "Load Before" everything else, then only use "Load After" rules for all your other mods.

Say, for example, that you installed three mods:
Optimized Texture for SSE
Realistic Water Two
Majestic Mountains

All three of those will have conflicts. Both "Realistic Water Two" and "Majestic Mountains" will conflict with "Optimized Texture for SSE". Likewise, both "Realistic Water Two" and "Majestic Mountains" conflict with each other.

Set "Optimized Texture for SSE" to "Load Before" both of the other mods. That will solve any conflict with your base texture pack, allowing every mod to use its own textures. Next, the description page for Majestic Mountains says that if you are using Realistic Water Two, you should have Majestic Mountains overwrite it. So go into "Majestic Mountains" and set it to "Load After" Realistic Water Two. All of the conflicts will now be resolved. If you look at the "Realistic Water Two" dependencies, you will see that both conflicts have a white information block on it that says that the other mod has a rule targeting that conflict. That means the conflict has been resolved by the other mod.

Once all the red lightning bolts turned green, you are good to go. Click the "Deploy Mods" button to push them to your game.

Also, you may need to sort your "PLUGINS" page. Click the "Load Order" column to sort the list by load order, then click "Sort now" at the top. Your plugins should sort fine, but sometimes you may need to solve problems. For example, sometimes it may order a patch incorrectly. Let's say that the "Realistic Water Two LOD Patch" is being loaded before "Realistic Water Two". Find "RWT LOD Fix.esp" in the list and click and drag the icon in the dependencies column. Drag it to "RealisticWaterTwo.esp" and let go. This will make "RWT LOD Fix.esp" into a child of "RealisticWaterTwo.esp". Now, when you click the "Sort now" button, the LOD fix should load AFTER the basic plugin.

Usually addons will tell you if they need to be loaded after something else. And always load a patch after the base files. For the most part you won't have to worry about plugin ordering.

KakerMix posted:

Does Vortex work like Mod Organizer? If so then you will be over-writing mods and that's OK!

I would go with
Optimized Textures
SMIM
Skyrim Flora Overhaul
HD Road Signs 2k
Realistic Water Two
Rustic Clothing

for your load order.

Also guys Skyrim VR is rad 2 the max. Even if I've played it a billion+ hours, even if its bethesda jank, I still want to get back into it when I'm not playing it.